Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t everything get advantage if the target is affected by Faerie Fire?

You have to be able to see the affected target and blind sight doesn’t grant that. I’d go with no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, right! Duh.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So our ToA campaign is on the path to completion. We probably have a few months left, but after that it's all up in the air. Our DM suggested trying something difference, and I brought up Shadow of the Demon Lord which everyone says is fantastic and amazing. However, I haven't found any good play examples or free rules for it, and it's hard to justify dropping money on an unknown system.

If anyone has an example play test, podcast or campaign, or even a rules summary and some example classes, it would make it a lot easier to get him on board with dropping $$$ for it. I've also suggested 13th age, but 4e was a total bust and I feel like 13th age would follow suit. He's also very familiar with Shadowrun, but our other players hate the complexity of the game (hell, so do I). SotDL sounds like a perfect change of pace for us, but since nobody has ever heard of it, it's a hard sell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What are you looking for? The core book is on sale for $20, there's a player's guide for 12.99 with all the player's options, and the first two chapters (enough to create a level 0 character and learn the basic combat rules) is only 1.99 - that might be your best bet.

It's generally grid-based combat with new options for each player per level. If you have specific questions I'm sure people are happy to answer but I don't have a written campaign to point you at or anything.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

User0015 posted:

So our ToA campaign is on the path to completion. We probably have a few months left, but after that it's all up in the air. Our DM suggested trying something difference, and I brought up Shadow of the Demon Lord which everyone says is fantastic and amazing. However, I haven't found any good play examples or free rules for it, and it's hard to justify dropping money on an unknown system.

If anyone has an example play test, podcast or campaign, or even a rules summary and some example classes, it would make it a lot easier to get him on board with dropping $$$ for it. I've also suggested 13th age, but 4e was a total bust and I feel like 13th age would follow suit. He's also very familiar with Shadowrun, but our other players hate the complexity of the game (hell, so do I). SotDL sounds like a perfect change of pace for us, but since nobody has ever heard of it, it's a hard sell.

If your crew enjoys the general system of D&D, which is basically a grid based combat game with some lite RP elements, then SotDL is basically better in every single way if you're not tied to Forgotten Realms or utilities like Beyond

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Is there a breakdown of differences between the two systems? I admit, my curiosity's piqued.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There's a thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821509

The big things are character creation is very different - you're picking ~3 different types of subclasses(novice, expert, master) as you level and they each continue gaining benefits. The math is a little flatter and tighter and mages have to learn a "spell tradition" before learning any spells in that tradition, effectively forcing them to specialize if they want high level magic. Initiative works differently, the precise skill system is replaced by the vague notion of having had a profession - you'll get bonuses to challenge rolls (ability checks)if you can tie your profession into it. All challenge rolls have DC 10, with penalties and bonuses added based on circumstance.

Things are more lethal than 5e for sure - you aren't the legendary hero that a level 1 D&D character already kinda is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 18, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

If your crew enjoys the general system of D&D, which is basically a grid based combat game with some lite RP elements, then SotDL is basically better in every single way if you're not tied to Forgotten Realms or utilities like Beyond

They do. Specifically, we're a crew with mostly new players that enjoy a lighthearted game of Dee And Dee, lots of joking and silly humor punctuated by almost dying because we did something incredibly stupid. We use a grid due to Roll20. Nobody really 'cares' about Forgotten Realms, but it's a familiar setting because it has typical expectations. Kill dragons, save the town, get loot, be a big drat hero, perfect murderhobos forever. I'd go so far as to say even if we picked up SotDL, we'd just use it's system in the Forgotten Realms setting.

The Bee posted:

Is there a breakdown of differences between the two systems? I admit, my curiosity's piqued.

That's a good starting point. What's the differences in mechanics and narrative a level 20 fighter in 5e can do, and a whatever max level fighter is SotDL can do. Same for Wizard (to contrast fighter). Is the game like D&D in most ways? Or is it a game where you're expected to 100% dungeon crawl? Stuff like that.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

User0015 posted:

They do. Specifically, we're a crew with mostly new players that enjoy a lighthearted game of Dee And Dee, lots of joking and silly humor punctuated by almost dying because we did something incredibly stupid. We use a grid due to Roll20. Nobody really 'cares' about Forgotten Realms, but it's a familiar setting because it has typical expectations. Kill dragons, save the town, get loot, be a big drat hero, perfect murderhobos forever. I'd go so far as to say even if we picked up SotDL, we'd just use it's system in the Forgotten Realms setting.

That's a good starting point. What's the differences in mechanics and narrative a level 20 fighter in 5e can do, and a whatever max level fighter is SotDL can do. Same for Wizard (to contrast fighter). Is the game like D&D in most ways? Or is it a game where you're expected to 100% dungeon crawl? Stuff like that.

You can very easily do "Forgotten Realms" in SOTDL. The biggest differences, as Jeffrey of YOSPOS said above:

- Characters are way less rigid
- Casters are not as incredibly more powerful than martials
- DCs are a simple 10
- Combat is highly simplified as well

The "tone" of the book has some laughably dumb edgelord poo poo that you can feel free to ignore, but it ostensibly shoots for a Dark Souls vibe, but you can ignore that and just use the mechanics

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

No joke, I picked a random page and started reading and they were talking about shriveled up dicks falling off, rotten grape vagina, you yelling at them about how elitist nazis are about editions.

I didn't learn much about SotDL, but I did learn to have a begrudging respect for this thread.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The tone of SotDL seems like a marketing gimmick to set it apart from existing RPG products. It gives a hook for new players interested in darker fantasy due to products like Dark Souls and Game of Thrones. For grognards, it helps moves it out of the D&D conceptual space so they can emotionally handle it as something new instead of something old that has been changed. It’s ultimately pretty superficial and the gross elements can be excised by just ignoring them without changing the rest of the product. I’d blame the author for using a sledgehammer made of <gross adjective> <gross noun> to established the tone but the intended audience isn’t exactly known for their grasp of nuance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'd argue it doesn't even accomplish the new player hook because it's so bad at establishing that kind of vibe though. It's Dark Souls the same way American game developers tried to interpret Silent Hill.

I don't know much about the system beyond the obvious but everything around that game makes me picture trying to show the book to my players and going "no wait it's really good though" as they make increasingly incredulous faces at me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Blockhouse posted:

I'd argue it doesn't even accomplish the new player hook because it's so bad at establishing that kind of vibe though. It's Dark Souls the same way American game developers tried to interpret Silent Hill.
This is a good description. It has hints of Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon, but replaces a lot of the pathos and ennui with overblown grimdark body horror.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone have a link to that DnD character generator? It does things like "Dragonborn Paladin who's bar burned down and is now adventuring to pay off debt."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

User0015 posted:

No joke, I picked a random page and started reading and they were talking about shriveled up dicks falling off, rotten grape vagina, you yelling at them about how elitist nazis are about editions.

I didn't learn much about SotDL, but I did learn to have a begrudging respect for this thread.

Mostly it's talked about as a way of "This is how you can excise that sort of thing if you don't like it".

It's absolutely a kind of marketing gimmick - "we're hardcore about blood and guts" but that's all it really is, because "fantasy heartbreaker using a d20, but better" is kind of a hard sell when you've heard it all before.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone have a link to that DnD character generator? It does things like "Dragonborn Paladin who's bar burned down and is now adventuring to pay off debt."

http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone help me with map scale? Like for instance take this map, right?

As far as encounters go, for example where it says "6", there's 6 goblins in that room. If I wanted to draw the map for this encounter, would it be largely pointless considering how small the room is, how many targets there are, etc.? It seems that a lot of the maps in the published modules are very small and cramped. Am I looking at this wrong? I have always used theatre-of-mind in the past, but I recently bought a nice big Chessex mat and I want to try drawing out some encounters. This map looks like it could be completely explored in 3 Dashes. Wouldn't it make a tiny bit more sense if 1 square = 10 ft? There's 15+ enemies in this map.

E: Would you draw the whole thing? I could probably fit it on this map. Do you guys draw as you go? Use paper to cover stuff like a fog of war? Just leave it uncovered and use the honor system? If I pre-draw this, I could put a bunch of cool detail if it ends up being the only "or at least 'the big' combat(s)" in the session

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 19, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Perfect, thanks.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

So I know the text of Divine Intervention says "a cleric spell would be appropriate" but like that's incredibly lame.

Y'all got any neat poo poo that you've done with a successful Divine Intervention? One of my players rolled one tonight and poo poo got Real.

their god appears to high-five a sweet weapon right in their hand, heals them to full, then tells them to have at it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Firstborn posted:

As far as encounters go, for example where it says "6", there's 6 goblins in that room. If I wanted to draw the map for this encounter, would it be largely pointless considering how small the room is, how many targets there are, etc.? It seems that a lot of the maps in the published modules are very small and cramped. Am I looking at this wrong? I have always used theatre-of-mind in the past, but I recently bought a nice big Chessex mat and I want to try drawing out some encounters. This map looks like it could be completely explored in 3 Dashes. Wouldn't it make a tiny bit more sense if 1 square = 10 ft? There's 15+ enemies in this map.

E: Would you draw the whole thing? I could probably fit it on this map. Do you guys draw as you go? Use paper to cover stuff like a fog of war? Just leave it uncovered and use the honor system? If I pre-draw this, I could put a bunch of cool detail if it ends up being the only "or at least 'the big' combat(s)" in the session

These are 10ft squares which is stupid because mats measure in 5ft squares so you're right. I just draw the room they're in then wipe it and let them keep their own mapping.

e: I think the mines map actually states in the corner that a square is 10ft but nothing else does unless there's something in the introduction or whatever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

JBP posted:

These are 10ft squares which is stupid because mats measure in 5ft squares so you're right. I just draw the room they're in then wipe it and let them keep their own mapping.

e: I think the mines map actually states in the corner that a square is 10ft but nothing else does unless there's something in the introduction or whatever.
That map specifically says 1 square = 5 feet in the top left.

I can only imagine they intended the fights in that cave to be super cramped--the players are basically invading a goblin warren. Room #6 would be cramped if everyone teleported inside; trying to get in through the 5' wide bottleneck would be nearly impossible if the goblins have any time to prepare. Due to the shape of the cave, a lot of enemies will have to either mill around in the back or use ranged weapons.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Firstborn posted:

That one marked "6" is about 30x25, which is plenty of room for 6 goblins to hang out. Its probably cramped for fighting, and thats part of "fighting in caves".

What I would do probably wont help, but for whats its worth: If theres any confusion I would draw the outline of the room on a piece of paper (or whiteboard) and mark who was where, and then sketch movements round by round on top of that. Its too small for most people to get too confused, and as long as they see where the "Gob" marks are, and where their initials are, things should be fine.

Also history: 10' per square (or 10" for outdoors) was the TSR standard. WotC switched to 5' for reasons someone probably knows?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's other examples I could use.. like... abandoned buildings in another map in the same module which are only 4 squares in total. I mean, I guess I can just draw the general shape and scale it x2~ kind of thing, but I am wondering if the scale is off or if it was just me.

Another example would be like...

I guess the props make sense for the scale here, but I'm kind of wondering why bother drawing the encounter map to this scale if the PCs can reach their targets every turn, can see all the way to the back of area, etc. on a single turn without difficulty.

I really want to get into the tactical combat side of it, so I'm going to give it a shot eventually. Echo Mines doesn't look like 4 dash actions would clear it, at least.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Firstborn posted:

There's other examples I could use.. like... abandoned buildings in another map in the same module which are only 4 squares in total.

If you're talking about Thundertree, that map says it's 1 square = 10 feet.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Firstborn posted:

There's other examples I could use.. like... abandoned buildings in another map in the same module which are only 4 squares in total. I mean, I guess I can just draw the general shape and scale it x2~ kind of thing, but I am wondering if the scale is off or if it was just me.

Another example would be like...

I guess the props make sense for the scale here, but I'm kind of wondering why bother drawing the encounter map to this scale if the PCs can reach their targets every turn, can see all the way to the back of area, etc. on a single turn without difficulty.
That house is 1650 square feet per floor, which is actually a pretty large house. My apartment is less than 700 square feet. Encounter maps indoors are sometimes more about pathing, obstances, and LoE/LoS than distance. I don't know what's going to be in that house, but enemies in multiple rooms means that they need to clear each room and are potentially getting flanked/separated during combat, or can't maneuver how they want.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the clarification.
e: and tips

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Elysiume posted:

That map specifically says 1 square = 5 feet in the top left.

Yeah gently caress I am blind. I just assumed because of the other maps and because it doesn't seem to make much sense when you real the flavour text.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It is a real problem with a lot of current published adventures. I tend to just improvise longer tunnels, empty spaces and unused areas into existence because they're useful for both me and the players to provide a bit of tactical breathing space, and they actually spread out encounters so that there's a little room between them. Empty space doesn't have to take up extra game time but it does mean that you don't fight the entire dungeon at once.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

xiw posted:

It is a real problem with a lot of current published adventures. I tend to just improvise longer tunnels, empty spaces and unused areas into existence because they're useful for both me and the players to provide a bit of tactical breathing space, and they actually spread out encounters so that there's a little room between them. Empty space doesn't have to take up extra game time but it does mean that you don't fight the entire dungeon at once.

Yeah, this is kind of my thinking. Within this dungeon, there's a few points where the goblins can spot you can run and go get help, but by the map, stuff like 60 ft. away could still hear you and all 20+ enemies in here would just come running. It's a hard problem to explain. I don't want every dungeon to be Moria, but it just seemed like there should be a touch more exploration or "space" between what is a gauntlet of encounters.

\/\/\/\/ Thanks.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 19, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, this is kind of my thinking. Within this dungeon, there's a few points where the goblins can spot you can run and go get help, but by the map, stuff like 60 ft. away could still hear you and all 20+ enemies in here would just come running. It's a hard problem to explain. I don't want every dungeon to be Moria, but it just seemed like there should be a touch more exploration or "space" between what is a gauntlet of encounters.

Unless this is a group of "levelled" super goblins with high intelligence and tactical training, its easy to assume that they arent totally coordinating their response. Maybe a couple of suicidally brave ones rush forward, A couple go hide. A few try and protect the room they sleep in, etc.

The "all enemies rush forward immediately" is a video game thing that works for brain dead "advance kill steal" video games, but you dont have to play it that way in a dynamic narrative game.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Does anyone have any tips/resources for running 5e in a pulpy sci-fi space setting?

I know other games would probably work better but all my players want to play is 5e and that was hard enough for them to learn.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Firstborn posted:

Ah, yes, I remember this map distinctly. I'm afraid I don't have any advice about it since this is the map that made my brain shut off completely in disgust. I hope you have better luck than me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I was bitten by a wereshark and failed my save last session. My DM is willing to let me keep my alignment and learn to control it assuming I spend about 2 months in game working on it. That's worth it right?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

RC Cola posted:

I was bitten by a wereshark and failed my save last session. My DM is willing to let me keep my alignment and learn to control it assuming I spend about 2 months in game working on it. That's worth it right?

Sounds awesome imo. Which reminds me that I or our wizard could be wereboars now. Also in the game I run someone has contracted lycanthropy. Must be going around this season.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you're treating the game as a point-to-point, room-to-room adventure, and you feel like you need more "space" in a tactical engagement, don't be afraid to redraw the room to be as large as you need it to be for combat to be interesting. It shouldn't matter that the scale is off if you're not drawing the parts in between the rooms anyway.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Im behind on my wereshark lore, but why would you not?

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Yeah being a Street Shark seems like no downsides.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hey thread, I'm going to run a solo adventure (possibly campaign) for a friend soon. I've done plenty of DMing, but always for fairly normal-sized groups. What would you say are things to watch out for or zoom in on if it's a one on one experience?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

A Single Sphink posted:

Yeah being a Street Shark seems like no downsides.

I did this in Urban Shadows, and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

inthesto posted:

Hey thread, I'm going to run a solo adventure (possibly campaign) for a friend soon. I've done plenty of DMing, but always for fairly normal-sized groups. What would you say are things to watch out for or zoom in on if it's a one on one experience?

Solo stuff doesn’t work for DnD unless you have that one player control 4 characters.