Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Javid posted:

There are phone apps you can basically plug in your height and point them at the corners to get a pretty decent layout of each room. Shouldn't take THAT long to get something that roughly resembles reality.

When I was getting a room re-floored with hardwood, the guy walked into the room, dropped a laser thing on a tripod, pushed a button, moved it over to pick up the entry-way/closet area, and roughly 60 seconds later his laptop which was connected to the contraption wirelessly had a layout of the floor with measurements to the fraction of an inch. He could have gotten every room of the house done in probably 15 minutes or less, even doing the corrections caused by furniture/shelving interfering with the laser. It was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TTerrible posted:

Is it possible they're made of the type of toughened internally stressed glass that can randomly detonate? A good thing to find out in the middle of the night in the dark.

Which is worse, if they crumble like tempered glass, or shatter into shards so you can get impaled when you land on the lower steps?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I mean, Jesus, I'm used to this thread delivering terrible design and implementation, but I can't even begin to fathom the sheer number of those ways that someone could injure themselves on those stairs. Slipping and falling simply due to bad design, potentially massive lacerations from tripping and hitting an edge (even when not even on the stairs in the first place, just walking past), tripping and catching a leg in the open space on the fall and shattering the trapped limb on the way down, misstepping and falling down the goddamned stairwell underneath it, the list goes on and on.

They're way too steep for code stairs, too. Not to mention the lack of kickers means that if you trip and try to recover you're probably putting a foot or arm between two stairs and then falling down them with it trapped.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 18, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was looking at apartment listings in Berlin it was super easy because every listing had a plan, generally with dimensions on it too. In canada though almost no one ever posts the plans. A bunch of staged photos sure, but never a plan. I'd have to contact the realtor and ask if they had plans, quite often they would and would send them, but mostly they'd say they have a policy of showing the plans only after a viewing because "plans can be deceptive, it's better to walk through a space" or "plans can be confusing, it's hard to translate a space into a 2d drawing" or some bullshit line. They want you to schedule a "showing" and only then do you get to see the layout.

If north american realtors posted plans I'd probably have ended up buying something back in the day, but after months of just trying to find a place that fit my fairly particular layout demands and wasting so much time looking at places that I'd instantly reject after seeing the place, we just gave up. No you're not going to talk me into a place I'd have rejected if I knew the plan. One place I literally popped in the door, saw the den/2nd bedroom and said "sorry, not what I'm looking for" and walked out. This was a person who absolutely refused to let me see the plans because it wasn't professional or fair to let an untrained person look at such confusing technical drawings without a REALTOR to guide me through it. I loving designed apartments for a living, my life is blueprints, show me the loving plans you fucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Posting plans may not be in the realtor’s interest, but if there are current residents they really don’t enjoy unnecessary showings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But if they don't maintain the illusion of how much value they're (not) adding, a lot of people might not use realtors at all, or insist on ones that actually care about the client's interests! :ohdear:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Liquid Communism posted:

... Not to mention the lack of kickers means that if you trip and try to recover you're probably putting a foot or arm between two stairs and then falling down them with it trapped.

I've seen lots of houses with stairs like that, they just weren't glass. It's not against code anywhere I've lived.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

UK estate agents will include plans, though they're not necessarily accurate. Usually good enough for a rough idea, though, and let me exclude a number of places that didn't have a room big enough for a projector throw.

None of them seem bothered by this, they don't like their time wasted any more than you or the residents.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Speaking of UK houses my brother sent me this from Northampton:

(House the picture was taken from)
"Spacious 2 bedroom experience, extensive gardens"

I'd stab an estate agent who led me to this house with the promise of extensive gardens.

The price value of such an experience? £350k no offers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Holy poo poo that's an ugly and hostile housing development.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

peanut posted:

Holy poo poo that's an ugly and hostile housing development.
Thatcher's Britian

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Don't kinkshame

I'm trying to work out if it being unisex makes it worse somehow.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

They're way too steep for code stairs, too. Not to mention the lack of kickers means that if you trip and try to recover you're probably putting a foot or arm between two stairs and then falling down them with it trapped.

On top of this, you'd better hope nobody ever needs EMS while they're upstairs. My personal plan for getting a patient down those stairs goes something like "Wait for them to die and let the funeral home do it."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'd hate to have a foot or leg injury in one of those houses. I've managed to limp up/down normal stairs with a sprained ankle, but you're not doing that if you have to jump 15" to the next step.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What part of "public toilet" don't you get?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this before, but the glass in the windows was a sort of 'smart glass' that's only transparent when an electric charge is passed through it.

When you lock the door, it opens the circuit and the glass becomes opaque.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Platystemon posted:

There’s so much money involved in a real estate transaction. So what if takes a bit of labour?
Realtors are the laziest people possible. Oh you're selling something for $500,000? Sure, let me take four pictures of the kitchen, one of the living room, and two blurry shots of the outside as I drive away. Sorry, couldn't be hosed to bother with the rest of the rooms, but it will be fine because this is the business standard.

You'll get way better pictures and details from someone selling kitsch on etsy for :10bux:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

We need a "Crapper Construction Tales" thread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'd hate to have a foot or leg injury in one of those houses. I've managed to limp up/down normal stairs with a sprained ankle, but you're not doing that if you have to jump 15" to the next step.

With those houses, a foot/leg injury is going to be a weekly, if not daily, occurrence.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I found the plans for my new place in the master deed for the condo complex on the county assessor's web page.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Realtors are the laziest people possible. Oh you're selling something for $500,000? Sure, let me take four pictures of the kitchen, one of the living room, and two blurry shots of the outside as I drive away. Sorry, couldn't be hosed to bother with the rest of the rooms, but it will be fine because this is the business standard.

You'll get way better pictures and details from someone selling kitsch on etsy for :10bux:

One of the “photos” of my house on the listing was, I poo poo you not, a hand drawn scribble of the outside such as a child might draw.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bird in a Blender posted:

Imagine doing those on crutches. :catstare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of the “photos” of my house on the listing was, I poo poo you not, a hand drawn scribble of the outside such as a child might draw.

I'm a particular fan of the 'arty blurred tilted shot of something on the mantelpiece' coupled with 3 maddeningly off centre shots of the kitchen for the entirety of a 4 bedroom house.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
drat you guys must have had some lovely realtors. I’ve only used one and he’s extended family, but he negotiated a couple of buyers to improve the offers substantially, had a great photographer who had pictures of the rooms and pictures of nice details like the fireplace. He brought a stager over who advised on how to set it up and de clutter, and when we bought it 8 years ago he was super helpful on talking us out of nice houses in bad locations or with obvious problems. We would visit a house and he’d say to get a sense for what your money is worth but don’t fall in love, you’re gonna hate selling a house right on this street.

One thing he said was since we didn’t have children that we shouldn’t worry about the schools, since it’s a minimum 5 years before that makes a difference.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

drat you guys must have had some lovely realtors.

It's really easy to get licensed. As a result, realtors run the whole gamut, from actual professionals who care about what they do, to bored housewives in need of a vanity business. If you find a good one they can save you a lot of time and headaches, and if you get a bad one they're an absolute waste.

It's also one of those areas where people feel obligated to use a particular person, like an extended family member or somebody from their church congregation, because they feel pressured to help that person's business. I've never seen one of those go well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Staging is also entirely not a thing in the UK.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

It entirely is but it’s usually called house doctoring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My local market is presently supersaturated with realtors, and somehow this has made them even worse at their jobs. You'd think that the fierce competition for commissions would make them work hard? Nope. They never phone you back and they never answer your questions.

It doesn't help that there's a loving junta for commercial real estate in my area which is artificially inflating prices.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Metaline posted:

It entirely is but it’s usually called house doctoring.

I was wary of making a declarative statement like that. Maybe I should say it's entirely not a thing that I've ever seen happen, and the exception if it is done rather than apparently the standard in the states.

Usually it's just however the house happens to be, maybe the current people cleaned a bit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m sure that an agent reviews the house to make it look a little nicer for showing though.

All mine was involved a review of the paint colors, a couple of furniture moves and a list of things to remove and de clutter. We didn’t do this nonsense of renting designer furniture or anything. I knew when I painted the bedroom electric lime with stripes it was going to have to go greige when we moved.

Literally one of the items on the list was “fluff pillows”.

My parents fired a couple of realtors trying to sell their home. All the paperwork and contracts and liability seems to be a good deal to pay someone for, I feel like my guy earned his commission on this house at least.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Staging is only "standard" in the US on tv shows and for rich people. Normal people selling $250k houses will usually try to clean up their crap and make the house look nice, but they're not going to pay the couple thousand+ bucks it costs to have a house professionally staged.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was wary of making a declarative statement like that. Maybe I should say it's entirely not a thing that I've ever seen happen, and the exception if it is done rather than apparently the standard in the states.

Usually it's just however the house happens to be, maybe the current people cleaned a bit.

The only places I have seen that looked smart like was staged was new builds.

Whereas, I have been to plenty of places where I thought 'why didn't you clean this place up? Perhaps with a shovel?'

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Staging is only "standard" in the US on tv shows and for rich people. Normal people selling $250k houses will usually try to clean up their crap and make the house look nice, but they're not going to pay the couple thousand+ bucks it costs to have a house professionally staged.

Gotcha. I guess I'm basing it off these threads (interior design thread also) where the staging is frequently commented on.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I'm dead serious about crawling up and down those stairs. I can see no other way to avoid injury.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I have another, even safer way:
1)Take a sledgehammer to those stairs.
2)Build new stairs.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You mean

2. Install a Man Engine

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TheLastManStanding posted:

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

scandoslav posted:

I'm dead serious about crawling up and down those stairs. I can see no other way to avoid injury.

They're a lovely design but stop making out like they're an unavoidable deathtrap that will instantly maim anyone who so much as touches them.

Left foot on first step, right foot on second, rinse and repeat until top of staircase is reached.

https://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/alternating-tread-stairs-a-roundup.html

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

It is difficult for children and the elderly to use our stair. In addition, the handrails do not meet the baluster (vertical rail) requirements for residential stairs. Children could easily fall through the rails to the ground below.

quote:

"There’s a few caveats, though. Falls on this steep pitch could be serious, so the handrail is important. Using the handrail means you will only have one hand to carry things. And since people aren’t used to these stairs, they require PRACTICE. It might take just two or three uses to get that practice, but practice is essential. Several times I have observed a physically unfit and uncoordinated person taking their first trip down these stairs (you come down forwards just like on a regular stair), misjudging the second or third step, then stumbling a bit. They catch themselves with a hand on the handrail and then get down fine. After two or three uses they have no problem anymore. A physically coordinated person often has no stumbles at all."
Hmm, yes, if only more residental builds allowed you to install stairs that are dangerous to children and the elderly, that prevent you from carrying anything up them that requires two hands, and that you need actual practice to use.

Like I get that site's looking into it as a space-saving thing, but there's a reason the average home doesn't save space by using weird stairs.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 18, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GotLag posted:

Left foot on first step, right foot slips on glass step that was slightly damp from the daily windexing, left hand goes out to catch your fall on a step (because there's no rail) but slips off of (again) the untextured glass. You fall backwards, and your ankle catches behind the glass step (because there's no riser).

Your wife hears this and runs around the corner to see what's going on, but catches the corner of her forehead against the unprotected glass step jutting out into thin air. This knocks her unconscious, and she collapses down the second set of stairs that is directly underneath this one, leaving a spray of blood.

One hour later, a firefighter knocks down the front door on the behest of a concerned neighbor. He spots a vodka-bar-lit stairway to the basement, and approaches. He sees your limp body, caught by your ankle, dangling near-vertically upside-down. When he tries to descend, he slips on the blood left by your wife's forehead-spray, and breaks his neck.

Further firefighters abandon the rescue due to being unable to get a gurney, much less a stair-chair, down the illegally-steep stairwell.

The house is condemned, and the bodies are unrecovered.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
after much reflection those stairs COULD protect you, you just have to muscle memory the sequence.

its like a platforming puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A real-life Konami cheat code.