Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

duz posted:

So, uh, went out this morning to my car and someone made off with my charging cable. Any recommendations for level 1 outlet chargers on Amazon so I won't be too long without a personal cable? There's a public station across the street so I'm not 100% dead. I plan on getting the '19 Leaf this fall which should come with another OEM cable so I'm fine with something not great but usable.

That sucks. Maybe you can buy it back on Craigslist from the meth-head that stole it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

Once again, GM has a hit on their hands and has accurately predicted WHAT CONSUMERS WANT...Who am I kidding?

Wow.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/18/buick-enspire-offroad-ev-concept/

gm has pretty accurately figured out that consumers want crossovers and trucks

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I wonder if that’s the EV Buick Mary Barra teased a few months ago. I suppose so, but I thought that was supposed to be a production car. Too bad, a 370 mile range car with Supercruise sounds pretty cool.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Agronox posted:

I wonder if that’s the EV Buick Mary Barra teased a few months ago. I suppose so, but I thought that was supposed to be a production car. Too bad, a 370 mile range car with Supercruise sounds pretty cool.

I’m trying to remember if that Buick looks like one of the two cars GM briefly showed me last summer at this event: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10/general-motors-plans-for-an-all-electric-future-20-new-evs-coming-by-2023/

It might well have been. The other one, which is going to be a Cadillac, is more of a futuristic one-box design. Both should be on sale by the end of the year, according to the what they told us last year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Both should be on sale by the end of the year, according to the what they told us last year.

Wait, if that Buick above is it, is that even possible? Could they go from concept to on sale in less than nine months?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is cool and I hope it spreads.

quote:

VW's fast EV charging network is headed to Walmart parking lots
Over 100 stores will get the upgrade by June 2019.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/18/vw-electrify-america-installing-fast-ev-chargers-at-walmart/

I assume real estate is the most expensive part of creating a charging network by far. I feel like these big box stores' parking lots are at most 60% full except on black friday. Good use of existing space.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Would have legit bought a buck branded volt in a heart beat over the Chevy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blugu64 posted:

Would have legit bought a buck branded volt in a heart beat over the Chevy.

D'oh

A Deer

A Female Deer

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RZA Encryption posted:

Ive seen some Walgreens with one of those Pay-to-Charge spots for 2 cars every now and then. So yeah, good use. Definitely makes mini-malls more useful to walk around in if you're stuck for an hour getting back charge.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RZA Encryption posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/18/vw-electrify-america-installing-fast-ev-chargers-at-walmart/

I assume real estate is the most expensive part of creating a charging network by far. I feel like these big box stores' parking lots are at most 60% full except on black friday. Good use of existing space.

Tesla has been putting its superchargers in fred meyer parkling lots round here and I'm not gonna lie, Fred Meyer got business because of it. Bought some ice cream, because what else would I do while waiting for a charge?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well then. Time to decide if I actually want the drat thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Once again, GM has a hit on their hands and has accurately predicted WHAT CONSUMERS WANT...Who am I kidding?

Wow.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/18/buick-enspire-offroad-ev-concept/

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what consumers want.

Just a reminder that this is the best selling non-truck right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

silicone thrills posted:

Tesla has been putting its superchargers in fred meyer parkling lots round here and I'm not gonna lie, Fred Meyer got business because of it. Bought some ice cream, because what else would I do while waiting for a charge?

Yeah, before I got my home charger I shopped a lot more at the Whole Foods in San Mateo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Agronox posted:

Wait, if that Buick above is it, is that even possible? Could they go from concept to on sale in less than nine months?

Well, GM said last October that two more BEVs were coming in 18 months, and they're based on the Bolt platform, so it's possible.

Powershift posted:

I am at a loss as to how so many of those get sold, other than massive discounts and easy financing. The Mazda CX-5 is better in every way I can think of, and the MSRP is cheaper.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Do you see a Buick badge on that car?

Buick currently makes a boatload of boatlike CUV’s and you don’t see them tearing up the sales charts.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RZA Encryption posted:

Interesting. My local Wal-Mart already has an EVgo charger, as do a few others in the area I've seen. I wonder if this will be replacing those, or if they're doing a different subset of locations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Buick currently makes a boatload of boatlike CUV’s and you don’t see them tearing up the sales charts.

The Buick Encore is the best selling vehicle by a "luxury" brand in the US. The Buick Enclave and Envision sell about the same as the X3 or X1. Despite their cars each being in the triple digits monthly, Buick sales are around 85% of BMW or Mercedes in the US.

So yeah, it seems people do in fact want Buick CUVs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

drgitlin posted:

I am at a loss as to how so many of those get sold, other than massive discounts and easy financing. The Mazda CX-5 is better in every way I can think of, and the MSRP is cheaper.

The Xtrail has seven seats right? It's also larger than the Mazda

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Sicilian posted:

They were down a bit in 2018 YoY but the brand did a hell of a lot better in recent years thanks to CUVs.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

The Xtrail/Rogue is one of the cheapest 3 row options, and Nissan has very easy to get financing. So yeah, that's why they sell better than the CX-5.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you walk by a Nissan dealer they will try to give you a rogue for free

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Well then. Time to decide if I actually want the drat thing.

also got my invite today.

pre-launch online, not an owner, AZ

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

The Buick Encore is the best selling vehicle by a "luxury" brand in the US. The Buick Enclave and Envision sell about the same as the X3 or X1. Despite their cars each being in the triple digits monthly, Buick sales are around 85% of BMW or Mercedes in the US.

So yeah, it seems people do in fact want Buick CUVs

We’ll first off, you’re mistaken, the Lexus RX outsold every iteration of Buick CUV or SUV. This doesn’t even take into account higher trim CRVs and RAV-4’s in addition to middleweight contenders (not quite luxury, not quite economy) like Subaru.

Also, you’re really straining the definition of “Luxury” there. Buick is an “upmarket, prestige brand,” a perfect example of the vestigial remains of an unsophisticated Chinese consumer of days gone by.

Finally I’d ask what margin GM is achieving with all the cash on the hood being offered. They may sell more than BMW (X3 and X1), but who is making more per car?

Other than the new convertible, none of the current Buick lineup do anything for me. And average age of buyer also reflects this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

We’ll first off, you’re mistaken, the Lexus RX outsold every iteration of Buick CUV or SUV. This doesn’t even take into account higher trim CRVs and RAV-4’s in addition to middleweight contenders (not quite luxury, not quite economy) like Subaru.

Also, you’re really straining the definition of “Luxury” there. Buick is an “upmarket, prestige brand,” a perfect example of the vestigial remains of an unsophisticated Chinese consumer of days gone by.

Finally I’d ask what margin GM is achieving with all the cash on the hood being offered. They may sell more than BMW (X3 and X1), but who is making more per car?

Other than the new convertible, none of the current Buick lineup do anything for me. And average age of buyer also reflects this.

Sorry, what was that you were saying about moving goalposts earlier?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

dissss posted:

No, they got rid of that option for MY2018.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Finger Prince posted:

Sorry, what was that you were saying about moving goalposts earlier?

His claim about best selling isn’t even true. I don’t think the goalposts even exist at this point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

His claim about best selling isn’t even true. I don’t think the goalposts even exist at this point.

Wow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

I used 2018 YTD, the most recent data available. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/0...vehicle-ranked/

Also, their margins are clearly high enough to continue producing the current CUVs and introducing new ones.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

I used 2018 YTD, the most recent data available. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/0...vehicle-ranked/

Also, their margins are clearly high enough to continue producing the current CUVs and introducing new ones.

That’s a weird year to choose as we aren’t even halfway through it.

Look at 2017.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

That’s a weird year to choose as we aren’t even halfway through it.

Look at 2017.

It's weird to use the data about the present to make a statement about the present?

Saying "tesla is only producing 500 model 3s a week" based on 2017 would make you lose your poo poo

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

It's weird to use the data about the present to make a statement about the present?

Saying "tesla is only producing 500 model 3s a week" based on 2017 would make you lose your poo poo

Because your original post is missing the word "currently."

3 1/2 months of sales data is not enough.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I had a Buick Encore 2 year lease at a whopping $139 a month zero down.

I am the one guy that bought a Lexus LFA in the last 2 years whatever that is.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 19, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I am the one guy that bought a Lexus LFA in the last 2 years whatever that is.

Lexus supercar, they only made a few hundred.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Lexus supercar, they only made a few hundred.

A few dealers were sitting on them as new cars, they only made 500 and they are worth like $400k.\

Since I'm pretty sure the only people that give a poo poo about Buick outside of China including the people that end up in them they should probably just make it an electric only brand going forward, just rebrand the Bolt which doesn't make sense as a Chevy in the first place given its price and specs.

And as far as sales go on Buick CUVs, when I was car shopping I looked at gently used ones and as far as I can tell car rental companies are just buying shitloads of bottom rung specced ones, like none of them even have had, does it even have a universal name? Whatever keyless entry is when you don't need to press the button on the fob which is the greatest car invention in a long time.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Three Olives posted:

... should probably just make it an electric only brand going forward, just rebrand the Bolt which doesn't make sense as a Chevy in the first place given its price and specs.

Good idea

quote:

Whatever keyless entry is when you don't need to press the button on the fob which is the greatest car invention in a long time.

Ew. Determinative interaction everytime.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Ew. Determinative interaction everytime.

This is how most (All?) are set up. It's not like it unlocks when you get close to the car, at least on a BMW you stick your hand in the door handle and the door unlocks after a tiny delay, as you leave press a capacitive sensor on the outside of the handle and it locks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

This is how most (All?) are set up. It's not like it unlocks when you get close to the car, at least on a BMW you stick your hand in the door handle and the door unlocks after a tiny delay, as you leave press a capacitive sensor on the outside of the handle and it locks.

That’s not how the S is configured by default.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

I'm not sure I would have bought a Tesla, ever, if not for autopilot. I wasn't a fan of the look or size of the model S originally. My husband worked next to the dealership and they convinced him to do a 24hr loaner and try AP on his daily commute. He thought it was neat but didn't go for it. A year later he changed jobs and ended up with twice the commute length. Did another 24hr loaner, tested it, and it did 90% of the commute reliably so we ordered our first car then.

It makes such a huge difference on long road stretches. I just set my speed to max at 72 (got pulled over going 75 this week... so gently caress it) then get in the middle lane and live there. I carpool in mine and it makes me feel so much more comfortable to be able to have a real conversation with out worrying about lane keeping or if the guy in front of me is varying his speed +-5mph. My eyes are always on the road but I don't feel like I have to be constantly doing all these minute adjustments. I feel so much less tense when I got home. Seattle area traffic is hell.

If it weren't for AP i'd have probably just gotten another leaf or waited it out for one of the the other all electrics that are supposed to be coming in the next few years.

Actually, Nissan has a similar feature called Propilot:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358388/on-the-road-with-the-2018-nissan-leafs-driver-assist-tech

And for what it's worth, they've been doing their fair share of research into fully autonomous driving, with plans to launch a robo-taxi service in Japan based on the Leaf:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/23/17044088/nissan-self-driving-taxi-dena-easy-ride-japan

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Actually, Nissan has a similar feature called Propilot:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358388/on-the-road-with-the-2018-nissan-leafs-driver-assist-tech

And for what it's worth, they've been doing their fair share of research into fully autonomous driving, with plans to launch a robo-taxi service in Japan based on the Leaf:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/23/17044088/nissan-self-driving-taxi-dena-easy-ride-japan

I feel like I have to be missing something with all the Autopilot hype but Autopilot is basically just adaptive cruise control and lane keep assistant that won't turn itself off in situations where it might murder you by driving into a traffic barrier like every other manufacturer has drawn the line well before that, right?

Isn't the original Autopilot just off the shelf MobileEye that was basically the same as MobileEye was shipping to a bunch of car companies until MobileEye told Tesla to cut that poo poo out because it wasn't designed for what they were doing and they were going to kill someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I don’t think it ever actually came out why Mobileye cut Tesla off, but that’s the rumor, yeah.

• Locked thread