Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If I can block swap between platforms and solid blocks, that's definitely a feature I've needed. I always change my mind about what is or isn't a platform inside my towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Modding chat because people always eventually ask what works well together.
code:
HERO's Mod v0.2.0.2
Recipe Browser v0.6.1.3
Fargo's Mutant Mod: Summons and Souls v0.16.2
Calamity Mod v1.3.1.1
Reduced Grinding v4.24
MaxStackPlus v3.2
Magic Storage v0.4.3.1
Tremor Mod Remastered v1.3.2.7
Spirit Mod v1.3.3.1
Wing Slot v1.3.2
Thorium Mod v1.4.3.8
Simple Auto Chests v1.0.1
Boss Checklist v0.1.5.3
MoreAccesories+ v2.1
Crystilium v11.3.1.5
Which Mod Is This From? v2.4
OmniSwing v1.9.1
Lunar Deconstructor v0.2.0.1
Pumpking's Mod v1.1.3.1
The pack I just recently finished playing through on and off for a while. Very quickly reaches insanity levels of breaking the game if you specialize so I highly suggest expert or revengeance(from calamity) mode if you don't want everything to become completely trivial.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I've gotta say, the Calamity mod seems like the biggest pile of festering poo poo imaginable. Tough extra bosses? yeah, cool. Extra bosses that delete your entire inventory when they kill you? Absolute loving bullshit of the highest order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

King Doom posted:

I've gotta say, the Calamity mod seems like the biggest pile of festering poo poo imaginable. Tough extra bosses? yeah, cool. Extra bosses that delete your entire inventory when they kill you? Absolute loving bullshit of the highest order.
They what

Last I saw there was just a boss which murdered you if you got hit more than about 7 times in the entire fight and turned off your wings and a bunch of other poo poo so you can't "cheese" it.

EDIT: Also a boss which randomly swapped its AI to any other AI in the game ever like, 10 seconds, which could end up with it just vanishing, and inflicted a debuff which turns off all your equipment, but it didn't have any actual rewards so it was very clearly a joke.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
just finished cleaning out a corruption pocket, killed the worm a couple times, broke open like seven orbs, bunch of fun toys for the early game. I find a cyst, destroy it knowing a boss will appear, the boss manages to kill me by teleporting on top of me repeatedly and trapping me, I die, my inventory is wiped clean (Not the hotbars though, thankfully) and the boss, which is now invulnerable due to not being in the corruption follows me home. Tried to make it back to the corruption to finish it off, but since it teleports on top of you repeatedly that isn't possible.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Terraria 2 should steal from Myst because Myst is good and the idea being Myst and the books is super rad and fits in very well with these kinds of games.

i would do violence for a myst-licensed terraria-like

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

King Doom posted:

just finished cleaning out a corruption pocket, killed the worm a couple times, broke open like seven orbs, bunch of fun toys for the early game. I find a cyst, destroy it knowing a boss will appear, the boss manages to kill me by teleporting on top of me repeatedly and trapping me, I die, my inventory is wiped clean (Not the hotbars though, thankfully) and the boss, which is now invulnerable due to not being in the corruption follows me home. Tried to make it back to the corruption to finish it off, but since it teleports on top of you repeatedly that isn't possible.

That sounds like a bug

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Rynoto posted:

Modding chat because people always eventually ask what works well together.
code:
HERO's Mod v0.2.0.2

It's not THAT HERO, is it? What does his mod do, have a gigantic tantrum in public?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i would do violence for a myst-licensed terraria-like

I know there's a mod for minecraft called mystcraft or something like that that incorporates the ability to generate linking books. The books lead to worlds that may or may not be crumbling apart and it's up to you to figure out which letters in the book correspond to which features of the new worlds and which letter combinations to avoid in order to avoid making a linking book to a collapsing world. I remember that mod being kinda glitchy though and, more than once, just crashing the server for everyone involved.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah Calamity's not perfect but it shouldn't have bosses that delete your inventory (if you're not playing mediumcore, I mean).
I played it not that long ago and that definitely sounds like a bug.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

I Said No posted:

It's not THAT HERO, is it? What does his mod do, have a gigantic tantrum in public?

No idea who he is! It's just a simple cheat mod that makes spawning in items, manipulating time, spawns, etc really easy for messing around. Tons of toggles and really well done so I dunno.

Also n'thing the Calamity bug thing. Never ran into anything like that on my play through.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

King Doom posted:

This is a bug for a few reasons. 1: Unless you used the difficulty setting that has you drop items on death, bosses aren't supposed to be able to force item dropping. 2: That boss is supposed to disappear when you die. 3: The teleporting is supposed to be its final form attack that happens when it's down to so little HP, you ought to be able to kill it in a second anyway. 4: That boss is supposed to be invincible at its final HP until the 3 worms it spawns are dead.

I'd say grab the cheat sheet mod and use the kill all enemies function to get rid of it. If your stuff is still missing and you can't find it in the world (the item magnet in cheat sheet helps for that) you can at least just recreate your inventory by memory and then uninstall cheat sheet when you're done.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I'd say grab the cheat sheet mod and use the kill all enemies function to get rid of it. If your stuff is still missing and you can't find it in the world (the item magnet in cheat sheet helps for that) you can at least just recreate your inventory by memory and then uninstall cheat sheet when you're done.
Stuff just lying on the ground instead of in a container vanishes when you save and quit, doesn't it? So it'll definitely be gone if he leaves to install the mod.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if i had a wishlist for terraria, it would be to guarantee some biomes in creation (and allow for bigger world sizes/most fun stuff like cloud biomes), allow for both types of metal and maybe evil terrain to appear during hardmode, and for stuff dropped on the ground to not disappear for a very long time, or at least stuff dropped upon death to never ever disappear

if we're being really crazy it would be cool if you could do something like reset the dungeon so if you have a server with a bunch of friends, the slow dumbass can go through it without it having being hacked apart and looted. as it is, the largest world you can make is really only suitably interesting for maybe 2-3 people before it becomes difficult to explore without too much overlapping

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Verviticus posted:

if i had a wishlist for terraria, it would be to guarantee some biomes in creation (and allow for bigger world sizes/most fun stuff like cloud biomes), allow for both types of metal and maybe evil terrain to appear during hardmode, and for stuff dropped on the ground to not disappear for a very long time, or at least stuff dropped upon death to never ever disappear

if we're being really crazy it would be cool if you could do something like reset the dungeon so if you have a server with a bunch of friends, the slow dumbass can go through it without it having being hacked apart and looted. as it is, the largest world you can make is really only suitably interesting for maybe 2-3 people before it becomes difficult to explore without too much overlapping

There are map generator mods you can use that let you have both corruption and crimson at once, IIRC.

Really? Large worlds, in my experience, are so loving big that even at post moon lord levels having done tons of strip mining with 3-4 people on a server huge segments of the map are unexplored because there's simply too much space.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

There are map generator mods you can use that let you have both corruption and crimson at once, IIRC.

Really? Large worlds, in my experience, are so loving big that even at post moon lord levels having done tons of strip mining with 3-4 people on a server huge segments of the map are unexplored because there's simply too much space.
Yeah, but some of the important parts are relatively small, like the Dungeon, so it's practical to explore it entirely and pull all the loot out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah i dont necessarily want more dirt as much as i want more things for people to find so it doesnt feel like one person and a few hours made the world empty of the fun things

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Terraria's mapgen is trouble because a big map doesn't feel more meaningfully large and the surface biomes aren't a lot bigger individually, there's just more of them. Everything's poorly spaced.
I'd love an infinite sized world in Terraria 2, though. As long as there's decent fast travel options.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Terraria's mapgen is trouble because a big map doesn't feel more meaningfully large and the surface biomes aren't a lot bigger individually, there's just more of them. Everything's poorly spaced.
I'd love an infinite sized world in Terraria 2, though. As long as there's decent fast travel options.
Terraria's mapgen suffers from the fact that it was originally designed for like, Forest, Corruption, Jungle, Dungeon, Underground Stuff, with some desert in there for flavor, and then Snow was added but it had to be crammed in there somewhere and now the Desert is actually important because there's Underground Desert and then there's now the Marble and Granite stuff underground and there's just a lot more stuff fighting for space than the maps were originally set up for.

This is another reason a Terraria 2 would be nice, so map generation can be designed with a wide variety of biomes in mind from the start.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

At this point all I really want from Terraria is more vertical room in the space biome so I can make the Space Colony ARK. Also lamps with colored light like the gem torches. A way to spawn the martian invasion more consistently would also be nice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

Terraria's mapgen suffers from the fact that it was originally designed for like, Forest, Corruption, Jungle, Dungeon, Underground Stuff, with some desert in there for flavor, and then Snow was added but it had to be crammed in there somewhere and now the Desert is actually important because there's Underground Desert and then there's now the Marble and Granite stuff underground and there's just a lot more stuff fighting for space than the maps were originally set up for.
Desert didn't even exist originally. I mean it sort of did in sandy patches but you didn't even have cacti or enemies. Surface Jungle straight up didn't exist either, you had the underground jungle and that was it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

i hope they just rip of minecraft hell 1:100 travel ratios and use that for a bunch of neat biomes

or at least i hope they entertain that and if they come up with better, great

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As a fan of infrastructure construction I'm into the idea of creating outposts, horse-riding relay points, subways, trams, trains, teleporter networks, you name it. Ideally if we can make something that doesn't take up the foreground space. Wires manage this in a way, not existing in the same foreground dimension, and thus setting up a teleporter network isn't terribly obnoxious nor does it require mangling the terrain. Something similar that lets you build up a system within your world to help make it feel like your own would be pretty nice. A player-constructed fast travel network is my ideal here.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What are goon's opinions on the big time mods; Thorium, calamity, tremor, and whatever others I haven't heard of?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What are goon's opinions on the big time mods; Thorium, calamity, tremor, and whatever others I haven't heard of?

Thorium is probably the closest to vanilla balance and has some nice gimmicks like a few new player classes built around party support. Calamity on the other hand is much harder than vanilla and even comes with an optional expert++ mode for the masochists. Joost is entirely post moonlord fights. Spirit seemed reasonably balanced but I haven't finished a run with it. GRealm's not bad but I always forget how to actually trigger most of its content.

I haven't tried Tremor in a long time thanks to it being kinda lovely and broken back then. IIRC it's the one that adds obnoxiously fast and aggressive wolves to forest and snow biomes, making it a huge pain in the rear end to even get started.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm playing Tremor (and Spirit) right now and I've never seen wolves in the Forest, only Snow, and I don't see them very often.

Their wikis aren't very comprehensive, I've frequently tried to figure out where to actually get materials for something or whatever and finding red "no page here" links for them. Thorium and Calamity are fairly well-documented from what I remember last time I slapped a bunch of mods on for a playthrough, but Calamity as noted gets a bit mean, especially at the high end.

(Right now I'm trying to make a post-moon-lord boss summon item, but it needs something from enemies that appear in "Snow" that I don't think I've ever seen. Although Spirit dropped a new hardmode biome on top of Snow so it's the Snow Spirit biome and that may be loving it up? I don't know. I also don't know if it means surface or underground or what! Maybe I should look up if I can configure the mod with the guy who just sells boss summon items for everything to sell them even before I kill the boss.)

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I feel like Calamity's design is basically, what if all our bosses were Duke Fishron, except harder. Also more worms.

The creator of the mod also really hates cheaters to a degree that it's weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The prehardmode bosses aren't that bad but they do get pretty dumb later. The ultra rare legendary weapon drops are equally dumb and scale with boss kills to ridiculous damage and projectile spam

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zereth posted:

Stuff just lying on the ground instead of in a container vanishes when you save and quit, doesn't it? So it'll definitely be gone if he leaves to install the mod.
I totally forgot that stuff gets saved on the ground thanks to the Overhaul mod.

Verviticus posted:

How about instanced loot? Honestly, the only reason there was ever a problem among my group of friends while playing loot games was when loot wasn't instanced. All loot should always be instanced.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 18, 2018

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

DaveKap posted:

How about instanced loot? Honestly, the only reason there was ever a problem among my group of friends while playing loot games was when loot wasn't instanced. All loot should always be instanced.

Terraria already sort of does this in expert mode where it automatically gives everyone a loot bag when they kill a boss. (As an aside I wish normal mode did loot bags as well, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than the "boss shits everything on the ground when it dies" thing normal does.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Jagged Jim posted:

Terraria already sort of does this in expert mode where it automatically gives everyone a loot bag when they kill a boss. (As an aside I wish normal mode did loot bags as well, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than the "boss shits everything on the ground when it dies" thing normal does.)
Oh! I never knew this because my friends all stopped playing before Expert mode existed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't mind breaking up the world into more explicit zones, like how Dragon Quest Builders did it. Having different materials and goals in each chapter made it more interesting.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Agree on the map generation points. Things don’t quite gel the way it stands now. I don’t actually mind a bunch of “useless” space, but I think it’s also true that more space could be used in an interesting way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

The prehardmode bosses aren't that bad but they do get pretty dumb later. The ultra rare legendary weapon drops are equally dumb and scale with boss kills to ridiculous damage and projectile spam

Legendary weapons haven't scaled with bosses for drat near a year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Legendary weapons haven't scaled with bosses for drat near a year.

Really? Coulda sworn they did like 6 months ago.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Holy crap, are maps even big enough to support all the materials/biomes you need for Thorium+Calamity+Tremor stuff in a playthrough?

Just started looking into this and combining those three might be a mistake for a coop adventure. Or not. :gibs:

Very excited to look at more fun toys though, especially quality of life mods, looks like Magic Storage might be a must. Gotta look into others. Is there a master list somewhere with recommended mods and descriptions for easy readings? I can look through the thread, though, to start.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 20, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap, are maps even big enough to support all the materials/biomes you need for Thorium+Calamity+Tremor stuff in a playthrough?

Just started looking into this and combining those three might be a mistake for a coop adventure. Or not. :gibs:

Very excited to look at more fun toys though, especially quality of life mods, looks like Magic Storage might be a must. Gotta look into others. Is there a master list somewhere with recommended mods and descriptions for easy readings? I can look through the thread, though, to start.

There's a reddit post linked somewhere in the last couple pages that I mostly agree with as far as qol mods go.

e: found it. was further back than I thought https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5ssv2n/list_of_mods_worth_checking_out_tmodloader/

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 20, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

There's a reddit post linked somewhere in the last couple pages that I mostly agree with as far as qol mods go.

e: found it. was further back than I thought https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5ssv2n/list_of_mods_worth_checking_out_tmodloader/
Still amazed they don't have Auto Chests on that list.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Still amazed they don't have Auto Chests on that list.

I never really saw the point of those. By the time they do anything the items you get are usually obsolete. But I haven't messed with them since a very early version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

dis astranagant posted:

You're a god.