Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.

Gamerofthegame posted:

people like this game

I like this game, it's just dumb as hell. The characterization is weak, the story makes no sense at the best of times, and the combat isn't exactly a master class.

Still better than FFX, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

people like this game

They're not people anymore. :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lt. Conquistador posted:

I like this game, it's just dumb as hell. The characterization is weak, the story makes no sense at the best of times, and the combat isn't exactly a master class.

Still better than FFX, though.

FFX had Jecht and Auron, meaning it has three more actual characters than XV when you account for XV's mystifyingly negative amounts of characterization

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
FFX has a clear and simple overall story with a clever plot twist which makes it infinitely better than this game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
this game managed to gently caress up

boys go on a roadtrip and final fantasy happens also

the game

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

the car had a better progression in this game than the plot.

the car is also the best character imo

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

FFX has a clear and simple overall story with a clever plot twist which makes it infinitely better than this game

also the combat is better too

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Yeah realtalk I don't like FFX but it's definitely better than this in pretty much every possible way

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This started out kind of promising with the crown prince having to fight scorpions for gas money.

I kept seeing in reviews that the whole road-trip aspect was a big deal, with lots of fancy hotels and run-down motels to stay at and lots of places to explore and 'beautiful' food and stuff (lol), but it's like...4 little towns and a bunch of samey sidequests. It isn't like 'the main plot sucks but the fun road-trip stuff rules'. There's no road trip stuff, either.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Speaking of FFX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1dr5sHpLw

https://twitter.com/kuronekodou0/status/972442993012629504

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Speaking of FFX

:staredog:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of FFX?

All I saw was the final boss from Earthbound's attacks in various forms for 11 minutes.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Lunethex posted:

Speaking of FFX
help I can't stop laughing

How the gently caress did they make this happen?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Finally caught back up after stopping 21 episodes ago, boy this game is even dumber than I remember it being. The plot feels like even more of a convoluted mess watching it than it did when I played it. The most amazing thing to me is that they managed to make the game's issues worse with the added DLC, it's almost impressive how incompetent SquareEnix is handling the whole process.

The worst part of the post release DLC that this LP has shown off is that it makes it possible to skip learning how powerful that loving ring is. That section of the game needed a lot of help, but that ring is actually satisfying and fun to use during random battles.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Night10194 posted:

This started out kind of promising with the crown prince having to fight scorpions for gas money.

I kept seeing in reviews that the whole road-trip aspect was a big deal, with lots of fancy hotels and run-down motels to stay at and lots of places to explore and 'beautiful' food and stuff (lol), but it's like...4 little towns and a bunch of samey sidequests. It isn't like 'the main plot sucks but the fun road-trip stuff rules'. There's no road trip stuff, either.

Those are pretty much my feelings as well. I can see what there were going for with the whole "Road trip with just your close bros so each of them can get more focus and character development" only they forgot to do any of that really. About the only sliver of development comes from random side quests they try to drag you off on which you can easily go through the whole game without the RNG triggering. Short of Ignis and his ski goggles, the characters pretty much end right where they started. There was so much dead air during the car rides and other events. Why they were not used for pretty much anything boggles the mind.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 19, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Its a shame we got this instead of Berseria. But at least you're doing a service of pointing out how much of a mess this game is. :patriot:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The worst part of the post release DLC that this LP has shown off is that it makes it possible to skip learning how powerful that loving ring is. That section of the game needed a lot of help, but that ring is actually satisfying and fun to use during random battles.

Does it let you chump bosses, too?

Because I could almost forgive this game if they just gave you an item which let you kill anything out of hand.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_y8EQOSWg

That video is what happens when you start ringing Ifrit. Obviously related videos may show spoilers for the last bit this LP has or DLC.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Stand there, hold button, repeat.

This game :allears:

Loved how he went all Amigara Fault there towards the end. That thumbnail :laffo:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Personally I love how lazy the voice work on Shiva is. Between that video and the T40s one, it happens in different places, but the laziness is how obvious it is they just took the voice actor's line and Right Click > Reversed it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Night10194 posted:

The fact they set out on a secret journey on the car equivalent of the Air Force One always makes no goddamn sense, and this is before they didn't bring enough cash out of the royal palace for emergency purposes like car repairs.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Palladium posted:

The fact they set out on a secret journey on the car equivalent of the Air Force One always makes no goddamn sense, and this is before they didn't bring enough cash out of the royal palace for emergency purposes like car repairs.

Sounds like typical millennials unable to get their poo poo together. :argh:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

GuyUpNorth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_y8EQOSWg

That video is what happens when you start ringing Ifrit. Obviously related videos may show spoilers for the last bit this LP has or DLC.

I was all set to say, "wow, when the camera isn't constantly losing its poo poo, you can really see how goddamn stupid ifrit looks."

Then I read the comments, and the goddamn ring makes things look stupid as gently caress as it [very slowly] kills them.

I guess it's nice there's a visual effect to it, but goddamn that's stupid.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Zenostein posted:

I was all set to say, "wow, when the camera isn't constantly losing its poo poo, you can really see how goddamn stupid ifrit looks."

Then I read the comments, and the goddamn ring makes things look stupid as gently caress as it [very slowly] kills them.

I guess it's nice there's a visual effect to it, but goddamn that's stupid.

to save people from watching any more of this game:

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Cory in the Blouse posted:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I think I see why Shiva left.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

also the last story ep will be up tomorrow because i figure you will need drugs to make sense of this ending

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Kuvo posted:

also the last story ep will be up tomorrow because i figure you will need drugs to make sense of this ending

I shiver with anticipation

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's a shirtless slenderman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goatface posted:

He's a shirtless slenderman.

New Steam name.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That final main game video is going up today, is it? My recipe book is ready. This LP's gone on for a year and a half and I actually can remember a bit about the first video without going back :v:

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 62: Shenmue Ep 20

~43:00 def one of the funniest moments from any game we've played

topiKal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 20, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

gently caress my pizza's not here yet

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This entire story never earns or properly establishes anything that happens the entire goddamn game. It's a playable 14 year old's fanfiction with a huge cutscene budget.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.
No Gods

No Kings

ONLY CUP NOODLES

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact one of the first things revealed about this games troubles was that Ardyn's final form ended up getting cut shortly before release. He was supposed to have a transformation.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Instead we got the flying scene from Pumaman.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

43:15

:eyepop:

I was not ready for that.

The end picture, commemorating the years of tipping forties.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 20, 2018

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Regarding the campfire scene: chronologically, that bit was supposed to have taken place the last time they set up camp and had Noctis' "last meal". It was meant to be Noctis saying he loves his friends and trying to say goodbye but having a hard time getting the words out. It might have been a decent scene with some emotional weight to it if they hadn't, uh, made the artistic decision to stick it in the middle of the credits. IIRC the director had to later clarify that no, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto didn't all die offscreen and the campfire scene wasn't taking place in the afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaasen posted:

IIRC the director had to later clarify that no, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto didn't all die offscreen and the campfire scene wasn't taking place in the afterlife.

after rewatching it during editing, this is how i interpreted it

lmao this game is a mess

• Locked thread