Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So, to answer your question, I'm not actually in Cincinnati, and can't speak for their chili. I'd certainly try it, though, I love chili in all its forms and am no purist.

I'm from Texas but I'm perfectly happy with a good bowl of Texas red or New Mexico green. I can't do the Greek stuff though, it's just...not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I'm of the firm mindset that if it doesn't have beans, you've only got a thick stew.

I know people will claim it to be heresy, but a beanless chili is little more than wet meat.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So Petit Trois is ridiculously small and has wonderful food. It's amazing they can stay in business.

my assumption for the past couple of years has been that ludo lefebvre has magic powers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That is some pro-click funny and greatly appreciated, thanks. :) The Virginia ham entry is dead on; I've lived in this state for almost 18 years now and don't think I've met anyone who gets excited about our ham the way, say, an upstate NYer gets wistful for real buffalo wings or snappies or Gianelli sausage. We're just known for ham because Smithfield runs the parts of the state that Philip Morris does not, best I can tell. Even my store, which prides itself on local, fresh food, gets its country ham from (gasp!) North Carolina.

drive to lynchburg and i'll show you the family that gets excited about ham (it's mine)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my great-granddaddy used to do whatever it is you do with hams himself, as you can tell the family trade did not exactly go down the lineage

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pseudosavior posted:

I'm of the firm mindset that if it doesn't have beans, you've only got a thick stew.

I know people will claim it to be heresy, but a beanless chili is little more than wet meat.

I want to fight you over the internet.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
mainline texans become profoundly offended at the idea that pooping after a meal should be anything other than a trial. once you realize the solemn-yet-sincere collective hardon for a joycian scat struggle session, a whole lot else falls into place about, say: Odessa

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Willie Tomg posted:

joycian scat struggle

Mods, namechange plx.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Willie Tomg posted:

mainline texans become profoundly offended at the idea that pooping after a meal should be anything other than a trial. once you realize the solemn-yet-sincere collective hardon for a joycian scat struggle session, a whole lot else falls into place about, say: Odessa

Someone translate this please.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

gently caress are you gonna have a hard run at Ulysses

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I want to fight you over the internet.

That's okay. I am going to shank your wrong rear end while you are fighting the other person.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Field Mousepad posted:

beans, beans, they're good for your heart

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Willie Tomg posted:

If you're not getting enough fiber in your diet without blaspheming chili, I don't know what to tell you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Who in the gently caress puts beans in chili? Chili has 5 loving ingredients: Beef. Onion. Garlic. Tomato. Chiles. Start adding poo poo past that and you've moved into carne guisada territory, and then you're really loving that up too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Who in the gently caress puts beans in chili? Chili has 5 loving ingredients: Beef. Onion. Garlic. Tomato. Chiles. Start adding poo poo past that and you've moved into carne guisada territory, and then you're really loving that up too.

The people who created it and ate it for decades (probably much, much longer) before white people got a hold of it and called those other people beaners. Beanless chili is gentrified slop.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 19, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chili gatekeeping is the dumbest loving thing.

No beans? Fine.
Beans? Fine.
Chicken chili? Fine.
Vegetarian chili? Fine, as long as it tastes good.

Skyline chili? Nah.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Who the gently caress DOESN'T put Beans in chili.

Jesus Christ, it's a can of Kidney beans.

gently caress! :cmon:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Midniter posted:

No beans? Fine.
Beans? Fine.
Chicken chili? Fine.

Skyline chili? Nah.

This a thousand times.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Midniter posted:

No beans? Fine.
Beans? Fine.
Chicken chili? Fine.

Skyline chili? Nah.

Seriously can we just make chili the way we want to and be happy? Let's never bring up beans in chili again.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Chili is a tomato soup with ground chuck beef, kidney beans, onions, spices, and topped with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and crackers.

That's my chili.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You can never add too many things into chili.

The more things the better usually, unless it's cinnamon and allspice and whatever other bullshit they put in Cincinnati chili.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Chili is a tomato soup

You're trolling.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Seriously can we just make chili the way we want to and be happy?

HEARD

I definitely have Strong Opinions on food, I've been cooking for myself and others since Thundarr the Barbarian was on my 13" black and white tv Saturday mornings while I was making pancakes for the family before they woke up. But I've never begrudged anyone on what they want to eat. As long as I'm not paying for it, go nuts, put whatever in your chili or burn your steak then slather it in ketchup or make a whole pizza out of pineapple and mayo, life's too loving short to give a gently caress about other people's food preferences. Jeebus.

Unless they're paying customers, in which case I give 783% of the fucks. But at home? 0%.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HEARD

I definitely have Strong Opinions on food, I've been cooking for myself and others since Thundarr the Barbarian was on my 13" black and white tv Saturday mornings while I was making pancakes for the family before they woke up. But I've never begrudged anyone on what they want to eat. As long as I'm not paying for it, go nuts, put whatever in your chili or burn your steak then slather it in ketchup or make a whole pizza out of pineapple and mayo, life's too loving short to give a gently caress about other people's food preferences. Jeebus.

Unless they're paying customers, in which case I give 783% of the fucks. But at home? 0%.

Lords of LIGHT!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ok, so back to tipping chat?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Samizdata posted:

Lords of LIGHT!

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that line somehow, fistbump to you. We swear like sailors at work (because this is what the BOH do) but we do work in an open kitchen that the customers can sometimes hear, so when I burn myself or gently caress something up, I've trained myself to yelling "SON OF A BISCUIT" or "SKITTLES!" if I need to reflexively curse. Gonna have to put "LORDS OF LIGHT" into the rotation, that's a good family-friendly swear.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Seriously can we just make chili the way we want to and be happy? Let's never bring up beans in chili again.

The best chili I ever had was a glass of room temperature tap water with a pinch of salt, consumed in mute contemplation. Tindr in bio.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best part of chili is cornbread

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Agreed cornbread really does make the chili.

My mom always made sure to take pride in her chili and homemade cornbread.

Food for the soul.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that line somehow, fistbump to you. We swear like sailors at work (because this is what the BOH do) but we do work in an open kitchen that the customers can sometimes hear, so when I burn myself or gently caress something up, I've trained myself to yelling "SON OF A BISCUIT" or "SKITTLES!" if I need to reflexively curse. Gonna have to put "LORDS OF LIGHT" into the rotation, that's a good family-friendly swear.
I have a friend who unwisely got her GF's name tattooed on herself. Of course, they broke up and we were trying to figure out a good cover-up. I suggested turning SWEET ELISE into SWEET CHEESE. I don't remember what she ultimately ended up doing but SWEET CHEESE is my go-to family friendly exclamation and relatively close to Sweet Jesus! anyway.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oh sugar!

cheese and rice!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Miss me with that beanless chili poo poo :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Nowadays the best gatekeeping on chili is to argue over what kinds of cheese and beef (and or beans as needed) to use in it.

I'm (very slowly) working up an effortpost on food labeling and how Panera's screwing everything up for everyone that I'm going to post in the pseudoscience thread. Should I link it here?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Week 2 of sixteen hour doubles all weekend: I am content. Soon, death will come.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Glad to oblige. <returns fistbump> I also rock "Son of a biscuiteater!" at work.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 20, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Nowadays the best gatekeeping on chili is to argue over what kinds of cheese and beef (and or beans as needed) to use in it.

I'm (very slowly) working up an effortpost on food labeling and how Panera's screwing everything up for everyone that I'm going to post in the pseudoscience thread. Should I link it here?

I follow the other thread, but, yeah, crosslink it here. I am intrigued to see where you go with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Democratic Pirate posted:

The best part of chili is cornbread

Truth. Also the best part of ham and beans.

Discendo Vox posted:

Please do!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just swear, it feels good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Willie Tomg posted:

The best chili I ever had was a glass of room temperature tap water with a pinch of salt, consumed in mute contemplation. Tindr in bio.

Same but with one kidney bean carved into a rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Mine was a flat stone that smelled of gardenias , inside of a shoe box. Those were the days.