Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I guess they're in theory complementary. With a big enough player population go hog wild with the formats.

They do have to mind not breaking up the player base too much though, even if they manage to hit reasonable player numbers with Arena once open beta hits and later. My guess is it’s a design dilemma of ”working matchmaking, short queue times, plenty of formats - choose two”.

The way Magic limited formats will completely change every three months is unlike limited play has been in other comparable digital card games (of which I have experience). Again if I had to speculate, if there’s the ”quick draft” of the sort that’s coming on 4th it will probably be sticking with the most recent set only - short queue times, quick to pick up and drop, great way to bolster your collection with newest cards of your choice. More advanced classic draft queues then might have more than the most recent set available, with players more likely to stomach a bit longer wait to fill up the table for it and queue up later.

What I am really curious about is how they plan handling constructed format rotation, as clearly what is played in Arena is supposed to be same Standard as on paper come autumn set. Amonkhet will be out and unlike in HS as an example, there’s no dusting the Scarab Gods and like for new set goodies. I don’t know what the solution might be, maybe give n% of rotating cards’ vault value in players collection, with the reasoning that some free wildcards for those invested in the game might be a good carrot to keep on playing and spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Tapping a Llanowar Elves for mana is a good feeling I’m glad we got back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Now free Birds once again

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Free Ponder and Mana Leak

Throw in Thoughtseize for good measure

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Bring back Wasteland :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'd rather have Condescend, honestly.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Not thoughtseize, cabal therapy. How many blind hits are you going to get in modern anyway?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Not thoughtseize, cabal therapy. How many blind hits are you going to get in modern anyway?

I would rebuild my mono black Abyssal Persecutor deck so loving fast if I got Cabal Therapy legal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cabal Therapy isn't played for blind hits

You would make Dredge quite scary with it legal and it's pretty insane with Pyromancer

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I would have said that this would never happen again but the fact that the Cabal is plot-relevant again opens that possibility up again. It would still need a block with Flashback, which I guess we haven't had since OG Innistrad.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You don't play it for the blind hits, but how often is the second hit going to be better than blackmail? It's the perfect balance of really good and not broken. Young Pyro loves cabal therapy, we could even get delver back. I play it in 4 different decks already. I'm going to turn 1 name karn so fast.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 19, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cabal Therapy isn't played for blind hits

You would make Dredge quite scary with it legal and it's pretty insane with Pyromancer

Dredge would run maybe two of them. It would just be the final check done before alpha striking/Conflag'ing the enemy to death.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I need a bird token for the Battle Screeches in my Boros Monarch deck - any suggestions? They never printed the judgement one even though they have art for it on modo. Someone suggested base set Pidgeys and that feels ok but I'm wondering if someone has better suggestions.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Flea Bargain posted:

I need a bird token for the Battle Screeches in my Boros Monarch deck - any suggestions? They never printed the judgement one even though they have art for it on modo. Someone suggested base set Pidgeys and that feels ok but I'm wondering if someone has better suggestions.

Maybe MS Paint a helmet on there or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Now free Birds once again

The flying cats saw to that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Want to play with Dominaria creatures today? Play momir on mtgo :w00t:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Thisuck posted:

Bring back Wasteland :getin:

Wasteland is a miserable card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

4 colour Wario spotted

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Want to play with Dominaria creatures today? Play momir on mtgo :w00t:

You can already play Llanowar Elves and the enemy Checklands. Dominaria is legal today on MTGO abut you can’t get the cards unless they are reprints. Like Llanowar Elves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

Bring back wasteland! Death to nonbasics! :black101:

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
On MTGO as of today, all legends printed since the last card frame update now have the DOM legend frame.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Also for some reason 1v1 commander has life totals of 40 & multiplayer has life totals of 30. Didn't see that in the notes. :haw:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

myDad posted:

Also for some reason 1v1 commander has life totals of 40 & multiplayer has life totals of 30. Didn't see that in the notes. :haw:

The notes also don’t explain the new redirection rule is in effect. Target a Planeswalker directly if you’re going to bolt.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

myDad posted:

God bless you WotC.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are some good sideboard cards to bring in against Tron if you're running a UB manabase? Disdainful Stroke, Damnation, Thoughtseize, Fulminator Mage, Ceremonious Rejection? Maybe Shadow of Doubt for extra spice?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

What are some good sideboard cards to bring in against Tron if you're running a UB manabase? Disdainful Stroke, Damnation, Thoughtseize, Fulminator Mage, Ceremonious Rejection? Maybe Shadow of Doubt for extra spice?

Nothing you do matters and you'll lose. Your best bet is like, Surgical a Tron Land early. Definitely don't ever bring in wraths against regular Tron. Eldrazi Tron, sure.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

In about a week the answer is Damping Sphere but until then I'd just run Field of Ruin and/or Ghost Quarter in your main

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/unsleevedmedia/status/986812220058284032?s=21

Umm lol? This can’t be true right?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
why you linking to unsleevedmedia

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dragon enthusiast posted:

why you linking to unsleevedmedia

Even turds sometimes publish things first.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

1. Why are you posting unsleeved media?
2. Why are you treating anything he posts with any credibility?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

1. Why are you posting

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Nothing you do matters and you'll lose. Your best bet is like, Surgical a Tron Land early. Definitely don't ever bring in wraths against regular Tron. Eldrazi Tron, sure.

Maybe, but I'm getting the urge to play Mill again because I figure if I'm going to lose it should be with a deck that I at least enjoy playing. Plus there's a lot of Tron at the store I've been going to lately (mostly G, some U, no Eldrazi that I've seen) and I like my matchup against Tron because I'm delusionalof maindeck Surgicals and Quarters/Fields.

Ceremonious Rejection is almost always better against Tron than Disdainful Stroke, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Maybe, but I'm getting the urge to play Mill again because I figure if I'm going to lose it should be with a deck that I at least enjoy playing. Plus there's a lot of Tron at the store I've been going to lately (mostly G, some U, no Eldrazi that I've seen) and I like my matchup against Tron because I'm delusionalof maindeck Surgicals and Quarters/Fields.

Ceremonious Rejection is almost always better against Tron than Disdainful Stroke, right?

About the only thing it doesn’t answer is Thragtusk.

E: And if they’re leaving that in against you I have good news

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tron should be a pretty good matchup for mill, probably one of its better G1s (only Ad Nauseam is probably better.)

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I wonder if they're just never going to add Kaladesh to Arena. At this point it's already a weird format and people hate the energy mechanic.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

Tron should be a pretty good matchup for mill, probably one of its better G1s (only Ad Nauseam is probably better.)

Scapeshift (especially non-blue) is certainly up there too, I think. I’ve seen some hilarious twitch streams with people just getting dunked on by mill while piloting scapeshift. Like double t1 archive trap that dumps all the valakut’s into the graveyard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

Scapeshift (especially non-blue) is certainly up there too, I think. I’ve seen some hilarious twitch streams with people just getting dunked on by mill while piloting scapeshift. Like double t1 archive trap that dumps all the valakut’s into the graveyard

A couple years back I got a Scapeshift player to scoop turn 3 after double Archive Trap into Surgical on Scapeshift. If you have a combo-heavy meta then I honestly think that Mill is a legitimate choice. I like it against certain flavors of control too because you have a lot of redundant mill effects and they have a limited number of ways to kill you, but planeswalkers are a pain in the rear end for the deck especially any and all Gideons (Gideon of the Trials :sweatdrop:). And I did completely hustle a Mardu Pyromancer deck a few months back with the deck, which was weird.

And of course, the deck is a huge dog to the aggro and midrange decks that kind of define Modern. Humans, Affinity, and Jund are all very difficult if not actually unwinnable, though it's gotten a little bit better since Fatal Push came into being. Some Mill decks run Ensnaring Bridge and I've toyed with the idea for quite a while. I also don't like that Leyline of Sanctity and Bogles are making a comeback, some decks are running a singleton Set Adrift maindeck for stuff like Leylines and PWs.

E: Can you tell that I've spent a lot of time thinking about this bad deck?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 19, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Angry Grimace posted:

You can already play Llanowar Elves and the enemy Checklands. Dominaria is legal today on MTGO abut you can’t get the cards unless they are reprints. Like Llanowar Elves.

Play more momir and you can :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

C-Euro posted:

Spreading Seas is another option if you're on a relativey aggressive/tempo plan looking to buy a few extra turns to win. If you're playing Faeries, Mistbind Clique is a house against Tron, too. :)

Ceremonious Rejection is better against Tron, Affinity, Lantern, and Hollow One. Disdainful Stroke is good against Tron and also good against Storm, Scapeshift, Amulet, and colored big mana decks where Ceremonious doesn't help. I run a mix of the two.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 19, 2018