Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Just change up units" is exactly what I have a problem with. It's no different from telling someone they should change armies. If your rule system is so poorly designed that people who put money and time into creating something have to give it up then the problem isn't the people, it's the rule system. Maybe I'm just out of touch here, but it seems really unreasonable for a rule change to utterly deny a certain playing style from having any sort of agency. Not just put them at a disadvantage (which they already were), but explicitly ensure that a particular unit has no hope whatsoever of affecting one that they could have affected before the change was made. It's an artificial constraint that adversely impacts a style of play that's already at a disadvantage, provides no significant impact to the style of play that benefits from the change, and personally I don't think telling people to play something else is a reasonable solution.

Counterpoint: If a change only affects army building to a significant extent at the far extremes of possible outcomes, maybe those far extremes weren't supposed to be viable in the first place? If you want to completely check out of the shooting phase, good for you. Just don't be upset when that renders some winning strategies (namely tabling your opponent) impossible. :shrug:

Unless you're playing with truly magnificent amounts of ruins terrain or truly pathetic amounts of shooting (the kind you get even incidentally or by unavoidable concession to building a list with units from most Codices) this isn't even a problem. It means you can't charge a Broadside or a Ranger Squad that are holed up on the roof of a ruin and never moving from that spot for any reason that cannot be more briefly described as "the goddamn apocalypse". Big deal. If that's what decides your game, your game plan sucked or your dice weren't going to let you get there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

panascope posted:

End this shitposting by posting your toys.

Here's an old toy of mine, one of the few I have left from my previous time in the hobby.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Here's an old toy of mine, one of the few I have left from my previous time in the hobby.

Way to leak early pics of a new Tinboy, you jerk

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, because you've gatekept 90% of the models in the game out of it and every faction except for one (with exception of a small Imperial Guard and Mechanicus lists and a very few Daemon units).

It's like: "I don't see why we need traffic cops, the cars at the Indy 500 seem to do fine without them!"

Hahahhaha, you must have a caretaker type these posts for you because you are obviously a drooling idiot if you believe this.

Xenos don't exist in 30k because they are not an element of the setting. The Heresy explicitly takes place after the alien threat is over. You act like Space Marines are not half the 40k factions anyway. At least in 30k they have real flavorful distinctions.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

those dudes look rad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder what the armies included in the new Kill Team box will be.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Two Beans posted:

he meant your battletech toys, beans

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think Deathwatch has a reasonably good chance of it. They'll have a new codex maybe a month old, if that, and Deathwatch is pretty uniquely suited among Marine groups to play a small group of interesting characters.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

those dudes look rad

Thank you :) I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I'm wondering what the unifying colors should be for my upcoming Ork army. I'm thinking orange since I've never really used that as a major color for anything, and I think orange warpaint over green skin would look really cool. But I don't wanna do a stereotypical blue or teal as the compliment to orange. Any ideas? Purple seems like it would be a good fit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The trailer showed Skitarii Rangers and GSC. But could be anything!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I've already got the genestealers from Space Hulk so if all I have to do is buy a box or two of cultists I'm down.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I’m hoping Kill Team just steals from Shadow War Armageddon and has the box include orks and space marine scouts—but new sculpts.

A pony would be nice, also.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

he meant your battletech toys, beans

oh, those old things?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Work in progress on a Bug commission

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Thank you :) I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out

what are they, flesh tearers?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Does anyone have any cool tabletop Sly Marbo stories? He seems like he could be really fun

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

what are they, flesh tearers?

I'm using the Flesh Tearers paint scheme minus the black helmets and power packs but running them as Blood Angels for both fluff and rules. Basically I really like the darker red and the black shoulder pads but generally prefer the fluff for the first founding chapter. Not to mention successor chapters sort of get screwed over when it comes to relics and the like. I had initially wanted to do them with white helmets but realized that I'm really not great at doing white and it would slow down my goal for this year of getting my entire army to a tabletop standard pretty dramatically.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

ijyt posted:

ok but the rules say you can't do it so either play or don't

"I don't play with FAQs lol"

"Excuse me the FAQ is the rules, don't play if you don't like them"

Hmmmmmm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Just an idea for an Iron Hands Big Bois battalion I’ve been playing around with and finally got around to putting into BattleScribe.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [79 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +
Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, 112pts]: Combi-plasma, Twin boltgun

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 92pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle, The Axe of Medusa

+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 113pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 5x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

2x Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor

+ Elites +
3x Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt Carbine, Grapnel Launcher
. 4x Reiver
. Reiver Sergeant: Bolt Carbine, Combat knife

+ Heavy Support +
2x Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 350pts]: Heavy Plasma Incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [79 PL, 1499pts] ++

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 19, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stephenls posted:

I’m hoping Kill Team just steals from Shadow War Armageddon and has the box include orks and space marine scouts—but new sculpts.

A pony would be nice, also.

New Orks makes sense. the Ork codex drops shortly thereafter and don't Ork players complain that a lot of the current Ork models are too old?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

Please don't backpedal it's embarrassing for everyone.
Hahahaha, yeah busted. :cripes:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Pendent posted:

You’re absolutely correct that the French managed to prove that it doesn’t matter how good your gear is if you don’t know how to use it. Conversely semi-mediocre tanks like the T-34 were incredibly effective mostly due to the way they were used.
I mostly lurk, but man, I CANNOT LET THIS STAND.

The T-34 was a very good tank for its time. During Operation Barbarossa, at the start of the German invasion of the Soviet Union, the T-34 could penetrate any German tank without trouble while bouncing shells from all but the heaviest German guns. Like, it dunked on the Germans so hard that they are on record commenting how good of a tank it was. Even after German design caught up to the T-34, constant upgrades kept the tank relevant and deadly throughout the war. It was mechanically reliable and fairly mobile, which means that it could actually be relied upon to arrive to the front and then follow up. Again, it was a good tank.

Though, funnily, that sort of proves your first point - a lot of T-34s were lost in the first two years of the war because the crews were either poorly trained or operations were hamstringed by a combination of logistical, communication, and command issues.

Yeast posted:

Work in progress on a Bug commission

Also, this looks really, really awesome, man. That yellow/orange just pops.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 19, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dawwwww, I love all you salty 7.x bitches too.

:3:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Fought an Admech list with open war, 2000 points. Got wrecked pretty hard but it was a fun game.

I had a crimson fists batt (Primaris infantry plus scouts and devastators led by pedro) with a cadian batt (infantry squads, scions, a russ and some heavy weapon squads) with a vindicare.

He had cawl, 2 techpriests, 2 squads of rangers with 3x arquebus, 2 squads of vanguard with 3x plasma, 2 neutron onagers, 2 dragoons, 2 armigers.

It was set piece battle, so I had to deploy my whole army then he deployed his, I would go first unless I rolled a 1, which I did, so he went first. Going first meant a lot of my most dangerous pieces died turn 1. Lost the leman russ, wiped out my aggressors, killed most of the devastators, plus wiped a guard squad. Losing the russ and aggressors right at the start ended up being a big deal.

The two armigers killed the russ with melta shots turn 1, and for the rest of the game did almost nothing. Combined I think they killed 3 hellblasters and 3 intercessors before being gunned down by hellblasters.

I did some pretty solid damage to him, wiped out the two vanguard squads, a techpriest, and the two armigers. The 6 arquebuses with Cawl rerolls just hammered me all game though, killing my Lt, apothecary, and vindicare. Primaris ancient would've made a big deal here, and mine arrived today. It was nice that crimson fists ignore shroudpsalm.

The mission was the open war one that's kill points based on PL with characters and vehicles doubled, so I did well for myself by killing the armigers but he pulled way ahead in points because of the arquebuses deleting my characters.

Was pretty sad that the first time I fielded my aggressors they all died to neutron lasers top of 1.

I ended the game with 5/12 CP left because I didn't really know how to spend it.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 19, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does anyone have any cool tabletop Sly Marbo stories? He seems like he could be really fun

I've only used him for the first time today, but given the battalion changes I definitely think I'll be more inclined to throw him in for shits and giggles now that 1cp auxiliaries are less of an ask.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

In 7th edition I used him to clear out a huge pile of Meganobs with that loving det pack.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Von Humboldt posted:

I mostly lurk, but man, I CANNOT LET THIS STAND.

The T-34 was a very good tank for its time. During Operation Barbarossa, at the start of the German invasion of the Soviet Union, the T-34 could penetrate any German tank without trouble while bouncing shells from all but the heaviest German guns. Like, it dunked on the Germans so hard that they are on record commenting how good of a tank it was. Even after German design caught up to the T-34, constant upgrades kept the tank relevant and deadly throughout the war. It was mechanically reliable and fairly mobile, which means that it could actually be relied upon to arrive to the front and then follow up. Again, it was a [b]good/[b] tank.

Though, funnily, that sort of proves your first point - a lot of T-34s were lost in the first two years of the war because the crews were either poorly trained or operations were hamstringed by a combination of logistical, communication, and command issues.
Also, this looks really, really awesome, man. That yellow/orange just pops.

See, the funny thing is that I actually view the T-34-85 as the best tank of the war followed closely by the Sherman for much the same reason- it was easy to produce in large numbers and was generally well suited for its role. There was even a brief period early on where it and the KV-1 were basically able to run roughshod over the Nazis.

That being said, it was plagued by production quality issues, issues with the air filtration system, a godawful suspension system and an engine that was highly difficult for mechanics to access for maintenance. Later in the war it was able to challenge most German tanks effectively with the 85mm but was also extremely vulnerable to return fire by the increasingly common long 75mm, 88mm and even some 128mm guns the Germans used. By most accounts it was also a highly miserable vehicle to serve in due to cramped conditions, poor ergonomics and an exhausting steering mechanism that relied far too much on brute force. So, a mediocre tank in the sense that it was a miserable vehicle to crew or maintain.

At the end of the day this didn’t matter that much because it was just good enough to do what it needed to do and cheap enough to produce in enormous numbers.

Yes, you triggered my hidden tank obsession.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

See, the funny thing is that I actually view the T-34-85 as the best tank of the war followed closely by the Sherman for much the same reason- it was easy to produce in large numbers and was generally well suited for its role. There was even a brief period early on where it and the KV-1 were basically able to run roughshod over the Nazis.

That being said, it was plagued by production quality issues, issues with the air filtration system, a godawful suspension system and an engine that was highly difficult for mechanics to access for maintenance. Later in the war it was able to challenge most German tanks effectively with the 85mm but was also extremely vulnerable to return fire by the increasingly common long 75mm, 88mm and even some 128mm guns the Germans used. By most accounts it was also a highly miserable vehicle to serve in due to cramped conditions, poor ergonomics and an exhausting steering mechanism that relied far too much on brute force. So, a mediocre tank in the sense that it was a miserable vehicle to crew or maintain.

At the end of the day this didn’t matter that much because it was just good enough to do what it needed to do and cheap enough to produce in enormous numbers.

Personally my favorite USSR story is that there were apparently more Emchas (M4, Lend-Lease Shermans) than T-34/ in the Red Army. Might be apocryphal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

New Orks makes sense. the Ork codex drops shortly thereafter and don't Ork players complain that a lot of the current Ork models are too old?

Most of the range is up to date, but the few models that aren't are literally from Gorkamorka.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Fought an Admech list with open war, 2000 points. Got wrecked pretty hard but it was a fun game.

I had a crimson fists batt (Primaris infantry plus scouts and devastators led by pedro) with a cadian batt (infantry squads, scions, a russ and some heavy weapon squads) with a vindicare.

He had cawl, 2 techpriests, 2 squads of rangers with 3x arquebus, 2 squads of vanguard with 3x plasma, 2 neutron onagers, 2 dragoons, 2 armigers.

It was set piece battle, so I had to deploy my whole army then he deployed his, I would go first unless I rolled a 1, which I did, so he went first. Going first meant a lot of my most dangerous pieces died turn 1. Lost the leman russ, wiped out my aggressors, killed most of the devastators, plus wiped a guard squad. Losing the russ and aggressors right at the start ended up being a big deal.

The two armigers killed the russ with melta shots turn 1, and for the rest of the game did almost nothing. Combined I think they killed 3 hellblasters and 3 intercessors before being gunned down by hellblasters.

I did some pretty solid damage to him, wiped out the two vanguard squads, a techpriest, and the two armigers. The 6 arquebuses with Cawl rerolls just hammered me all game though, killing my Lt, apothecary, and vindicare. Primaris ancient would've made a big deal here, and mine arrived today. It was nice that crimson fists ignore shroudpsalm.

The mission was the open war one that's kill points based on PL with characters and vehicles doubled, so I did well for myself by killing the armigers but he pulled way ahead in points because of the arquebuses deleting my characters.

Was pretty sad that the first time I fielded my aggressors they all died to neutron lasers top of 1.

I ended the game with 5/12 CP left because I didn't really know how to spend it.

This is good news. I’m going to try to run more Arquebus in my next game. Hopefully 6.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Counterpoint: If a change only affects army building to a significant extent at the far extremes of possible outcomes, maybe those far extremes weren't supposed to be viable in the first place? If you want to completely check out of the shooting phase, good for you. Just don't be upset when that renders some winning strategies (namely tabling your opponent) impossible. :shrug:

Unless you're playing with truly magnificent amounts of ruins terrain or truly pathetic amounts of shooting (the kind you get even incidentally or by unavoidable concession to building a list with units from most Codices) this isn't even a problem. It means you can't charge a Broadside or a Ranger Squad that are holed up on the roof of a ruin and never moving from that spot for any reason that cannot be more briefly described as "the goddamn apocalypse". Big deal. If that's what decides your game, your game plan sucked or your dice weren't going to let you get there in the first place.

I agree that it's not the end of the world. It is, however, another knock against a style of play that already suffers way more than shooting. And for armies that heavily depend on that style of play, like Orks, it's really unfortunate to see GW go in this direction. If my game gets decided because a squad that's meant for assault doesn't get to assault, then that's not my game plan or lovely dice; that's a pivotal moment in the game being decided by a rule change.

What exactly about this rule is a good thing? Does this make the game more fair? Does it make the game more fun?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Pendent posted:

It's clearly a mutual thing. I mean, here I am. And I concur with all your points here, besides! But there's a big difference between mediocre (because the crew were uncomfortable and exhausted) and mediocre (because it just was dunked on a great deal or otherwise not very useful. I'm looking at you, Italy.) I thought you were going the second, and of course had to defend the innocent and pure T-34.

chutche2 posted:

I don't know if you have any Heavy Bolters in your lists, but Hellfire Shells is a great way to burn off extra CP. Depending on his layout - and I know a lot of AdMech guys stack everyone right on top of each other - Orbital Bombardment is a passable sink as well.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

Most of the range is up to date, but the few models that aren't are literally from Gorkamorka.

The scale of Ork trakks was way off, even back then. Also, the (monetary) price for Ork field artillery is eyebrow raising.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

The scale of Ork trakks was way off, even back then. Also, the (monetary) price for Ork field artillery is eyebrow raising.

Yeah, that's beyond ridiculous. The only redeeming factor is that you can probably build extra bodies for the different guns out of random crap you have lying around and have the unit counts as whatever.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I ran my first post-FAQ game the other day, and decided to see how all the changes would actually affect a full on deepstriking melee list. Alpha Legion/Khorne Daemon chicken soup, lots of cultists and oblits and zerkers with bloodletter bombs aplenty. And then a Lord of Skulls and support retinue because why not. Versus the new Dark Eldar codex with a heavy venom/ravager shooty list, so thrown right into the deep end.

Unfortunately we rolled the chapter approved Recon mission, which required all reserves to come in on a 3+ turn 1, and limited all deepstriking to my own deployment zone. So I was double turbo screwed. Ended up just deploying all the deepstriking stuff normally in a big long row. Turn 1 it all advanced, a big line of bloodletters and cultists and zerkers, and naturally they got shot to poo poo on his turn, and I think every single one of them died without so much as a kill to their name.

On the other hand, the Lord of Skulls just clowned on his army singlehandedly. It had a Prince, Warpsmith, Sorcerer and Khorne Herald all buffing the poo poo out of it and handling any chaff thrown its way, and it ended up taking out a good 2-5 units a turn. Unfortunately all the zippy little deldar units were able to pick away at its buddies, and it ended up dying locked in combat with a couple of 2++ archons on turn 5 after an obscene amount of blasters and dark lances whittled it down to nothing.

Not the best mission to gauge the effects of the FAQ, but deepstriking is definitely going to require more thought on placement when and where. Also, Dark Eldar are pretty nasty and can gear up for hordes and armor without much sacrifice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Personally my favorite USSR story is that there were apparently more Emchas (M4, Lend-Lease Shermans) than T-34/ in the Red Army. Might be apocryphal.

I remember some GI telling me that the Russian language had no word for 'maintenance'. That was his story about soviets.

He was a simple country dude so I know he didn't mean anything by it

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Where did these miniatures come from? The website linked just has the minis without any information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

goodness posted:

Where did these miniatures come from? The website linked just has the minis without any information

I admittedly have pretty limited knowledge of all of GW's specialist games, but if those are 1st party mini's I'd guess Epic conversions from the troop square bases.