Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slime posted:

How many hatches did you need to feed per person before so we can get a reference for how much it was nerfed?
Previously:

Gadzuko posted:

Ranching is really good. (.....) Hatches pop out an egg every 5 cycles, one egg can be turned into an omelette worth 2800 kcal so 5 hatches can almost feed 3 dupes.
Haven't run the game in a while but if "5:1" is the exact ratio now, it's a -65% nerf.

Also if you want to breed more critters to increase production rate, an incubator takes 200kg refined metal to build and requires 240W to operate and takes 10 days to turn an egg into another critter. Which would require 1.44MJ electricity = 2.4 tons of coal (not counting losses due to batteries and CO2/heat removal). Luckily eggs don't appear rot during blackouts. But once it's done you've got another hatch/slickster/morb/etc to continue crapping out ~0.03333kcal/s until the end of time. (along with coal/slimelung/oil)

Basically the nerf brought it more in line with other food production, (e: which is to say it is a pain in the rear end, but this is a building/management sandbox sim and annoying/tedious nonsense is what the game is all about) except that it requires a lot bigger up-front investment of research/material/infrastructure to get started and keeps a rancher busy continuously. Speaking of which, you can't get eggs without the Rancher job, which requires learning Farmhand. So it'll take a while no matter what. But it's worth it because ranching uses different resources (that are effectively near-infinite) and is a lot less vulnerable to overheating your base, as compared to plant farming. Plants are easier+faster to get started and you're probably going to want both eventually.

One thing though. Don't use Shine Bugs to illuminate a bristle berry farm unless you keep them thoroughly contained because the little shits will eat your crops if they have a chance.

Ranching aside, the geysers can be very good and give iron/gold or 8kg/s (cold) Polluted Water, or they can be garbage like 10g/s Chlorine. Until the map generation algorithm gets improved, if you're playing the Ranching Preview branch you might want to use debug mode to look at the map on day 0 and search/check what geysers spawn and reroll the map until you get at least one or two that don't suck.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Previously:

Haven't run the game in a while but if "5:1" is the exact ratio now, it's a -65% nerf.

Also if you want to breed more critters to increase production rate, an incubator takes 200kg refined metal to build and requires 240W to operate and takes 10 days to turn an egg into another critter. Which would require 1.44MJ electricity = 2.4 tons of coal (not counting losses due to batteries and CO2/heat removal). Luckily eggs don't appear rot during blackouts. But once it's done you've got another hatch/slickster/morb/etc to continue crapping out ~0.03333kcal/s until the end of time. (along with coal/slimelung/oil)

Basically the nerf brought it more in line with other food production, (e: which is to say it is a pain in the rear end, but this is a building/management sandbox sim and annoying/tedious nonsense is what the game is all about) except that it requires a lot bigger up-front investment of research/material/infrastructure to get started and keeps a rancher busy continuously. Speaking of which, you can't get eggs without the Rancher job, which requires learning Farmhand. So it'll take a while no matter what. But it's worth it because ranching uses different resources (that are effectively near-infinite) and is a lot less vulnerable to overheating your base, as compared to plant farming. Plants are easier+faster to get started and you're probably going to want both eventually.

One thing though. Don't use Shine Bugs to illuminate a bristle berry farm unless you keep them thoroughly contained because the little shits will eat your crops if they have a chance.

Ranching aside, the geysers can be very good and give iron/gold or 8kg/s (cold) Polluted Water, or they can be garbage like 10g/s Chlorine. Until the map generation algorithm gets improved, if you're playing the Ranching Preview branch you might want to use debug mode to look at the map on day 0 and search/check what geysers spawn and reroll the map until you get at least one or two that don't suck.

How much coal does a hatch produce per cycle assuming a constant food supply? Seems like it'd take a long time for hatching one out to be worth the energy investment in terms of coal.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slime posted:

How much coal does a hatch produce per cycle assuming a constant food supply? Seems like it'd take a long time for hatching one out to be worth the energy investment in terms of coal.

Not entirely sure. Last(?) patch changed it so that critters eat/produce less until you tame them, which takes a few(?) days of ranchering but I haven't tried ranching again since my previous save "Disconcerting Meat Vortex" started crashing with annoying frequency.

As for theoretical napkin numbers, the wiki says 1000g/s so if that value is still correct, a fully domesticated Hatch it could produce up to 600kg/cycle of coal. Which is also the fuel usage for a Coal Generator (600W output). So each live hatch can power 1.25 incubators and a new hatch takes 4 cycles to break even on energy/fuel.

Energy investment isn't a huge deal but you need to have a power grid planned/built to supply that constant 480W load. And the spare manpower dupower(?) to keep the fires fed, the batteries juiced and the critters petted.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I keep attempting to make things happen but haven’t made it past cycle 60 without the base crashing and burning. I think I get over confident and impatient at cycle 40 before crashing the system massively in the intervening cycles. Worst part was there was natural gas and cool steam not too far away. Maybe I’ll start again on the same seed as this time around

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is heat management any better in the rancher update?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

silentsnack posted:

That explains so much about my last base. I thought I was lucky as gently caress to trap some shine bugs in my farm so I could get some bristle-berry going...and then started running out of food right quick.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Azuth0667 posted:

Is heat management any better in the rancher update?
about the same

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rancher upgrade 1 is out. Pretty cool.

Does not anyone have a problem with re-enabling the printing pod? I had one that wouldn't turn back on after being disabled.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

Rancher upgrade 1 is out. Pretty cool.

Does not anyone have a problem with re-enabling the printing pod? I had one that wouldn't turn back on after being disabled.

My wife was having issues with turning it off in the first place; the solution was to bump up the priority on Toggle actions for a dupe. Maybe experiment with that?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They keep screwing around with the priority all they need is to steal the number system from rimworld and give us an option to click a dupeand force them to do something like save that dipshit that trapped themselves.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

socialsecurity posted:

They keep screwing around with the priority all they need is to steal the number system from rimworld and give us an option to click a dupeand force them to do something like save that dipshit that trapped themselves.

Do they have a force do stuff command in rimworld? If so, maybe I need to give it a real try one of these days.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Ambaire posted:

Do they have a force do stuff command in rimworld? If so, maybe I need to give it a real try one of these days.

Yeah. Selecting a pawn and right clicking an object brings up the ways they can interact. Sometimes militarization is required.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there a "replace" option anywhere? I accidentally used gold amalgam for some wires and I want to swap it out for copper without having to babysit it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Splicer posted:

Is there a "replace" option anywhere? I accidentally used gold amalgam for some wires and I want to swap it out for copper without having to babysit it.

Nope. Also assuming you have any interest in exosuits, you never want to use more copper than you absolutely need to, as atmos suits require copper.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Basically once you have access to gold and iron, stop using copper entirely when you can help it. Exosuits could probably do with being able to be made with non-copper metals, or maybe a new machine could be introduced that lets you convert one metal to another. Make it a ruins machine maybe.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Basically once you have access to gold and iron, stop using copper entirely when you can help it. Exosuits could probably do with being able to be made with non-copper metals, or maybe a new machine could be introduced that lets you convert one metal to another. Make it a ruins machine maybe.
Your advice seems sound but your name concerns me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So how are the new geysers? The hydrogen geyser in particular interests me.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

What do you want to know about them?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

What do you want to know about them?

How common are they? Do they require special equipment like the oil geysers?

How do the metal geysers work? Do they just spit out metal, or is there some other mechanism?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

only the oil geyser requires a building.
there are more geysers in the world than last patch. but they are spread out better (imo)
they can emit different substances, not just nat gas or water.
there are variants like vents which do a low emission rate and volcanoes that can emit solids (like gold).
the big issue is that all geysers have a dormant period. so you have to plan around that.
a tenured scientist can study geysers to unlock the activity/dormancy duration in real time. so you can track when they will produce or stop.

some are really weak like a cold steam vent. It produces very little water but can be a reserve for long lasting bases.
some are dumb like a sludge or liquid CO2 (i don't remember). i couldn't find a use for that.
there are regular geysers but you have to think more about conservation between dormant periods. i kinda like that because you can be really efficient with 1 geyser or explore for a 2nd.
the dormancy periods aren't that bad, at the ones I've found are ~40 cycles , so its not forever. but it could've been luck.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

temple posted:

only the oil geyser requires a building.
there are more geysers in the world than last patch. but they are spread out better (imo)
they can emit different substances, not just nat gas or water.
there are variants like vents which do a low emission rate and volcanoes that can emit solids (like gold).
the big issue is that all geysers have a dormant period. so you have to plan around that.
a tenured scientist can study geysers to unlock the activity/dormancy duration in real time. so you can track when they will produce or stop.

some are really weak like a cold steam vent. It produces very little water but can be a reserve for long lasting bases.
some are dumb like a sludge or liquid CO2 (i don't remember). i couldn't find a use for that.
there are regular geysers but you have to think more about conservation between dormant periods. i kinda like that because you can be really efficient with 1 geyser or explore for a 2nd.
the dormancy periods aren't that bad, at the ones I've found are ~40 cycles , so its not forever. but it could've been luck.
Thanks for this, I was a bit confused about the difference between geysers and vents because I've only seen vents since the update. Thanks for clearing it up.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

and sending a scientist to study an active geyser can kill them. it takes about 4-8 cycles to complete research on geysers, depending on their skill. so send a scientist when it is dormant and you can avoid illnesses.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Temple, you can't think of a use for an infinite heatsink that turns into power?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

insta posted:

Temple, you can't think of a use for an infinite heatsink that turns into power?

NO I CAN NOT

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The new Natural Gas geysers are awful though, I have 4 in my current base which is already abnormal and I still have power issues due to them running out it's super annoying. I know they expect you to rely on coal more but it's much more busywork.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

The new Natural Gas geysers are awful though, I have 4 in my current base which is already abnormal and I still have power issues due to them running out it's super annoying. I know they expect you to rely on coal more but it's much more busywork.

Use fertilizer makers and atmo switches to extend it. Also use smart batteries to turn off the generators when the battery is full to stretch gas. I got a dormant nat geyser to run my base just from spill over gas. The cap on raw power is more troublsome to me.

Automation is my favorite thing currently.

temple fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

When is the next patch preview?

The current patch was released on 3/22 and they said "one patch every 4 weeks" and previews come out every 2 weeks, so they are almost a week behind schedule.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Check the discord channel, the guys there are good at updating the announcements. I’d look but I’m on stupid vacation.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Chlorine can go straight to hell. :mad:

I just started with the Ranching update and it's been a blast so far. I've spawned a ton of bases because I get partway through and find something isn't working well so I start again, hoping for a better seed and building with all my new knowledge. I love the animations and art style for the duplicants and the engineering problems keep my brain buzzing long after I should have gone to sleep.

Work? Who needs that, I have dupes to manage!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

I just started with the Ranching update and it's been a blast so far. I've spawned a ton of bases because I get partway through and find something isn't working well so I start again, hoping for a better seed and building with all my new knowledge. I love the animations and art style for the duplicants and the engineering problems keep my brain buzzing long after I should have gone to sleep.

Morbs will eat chlorine and pump out polluted oxygen, typically I will put a bunch of outhouses in a airlocked room and let them fill up without emptying them and morbs will spawn, then after I get a good half a dozen at least I'll start pumping chlorine in there and close the room off to dupes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

The preview for the Ranching update MK II will be streamed on Twitch and Steam today on Kleientertainment's channel. 3:30pm PDT.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lorini posted:

The preview for the Ranching update MK II will be streamed on Twitch and Steam today on Kleientertainment's channel. 3:30pm PDT.
Pretty good stuff:
Now there is Sandbox mode - so no longer you have to go full debug to paint stuff in.

Lots of new creature variants - hatches eating ore and producing refined metal, pufts for chlorine -> bleach stone and oxygen ->oxylite, slicksters producing petroleum directly from CO2.
Completely new creatures - drecko, eats pepper and grows fiber or plastic scales that can be sheared.
There's fish now too, I guess you're supposed to breed and butcher them for food, but they eat algae so who knows if that's a feasible food source.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pyromancer posted:

drecko, eats pepper and grows fiber or plastic scales that can be sheared.
This is pretty huge, if you can get them before you've already conquered the petrol biome then you might have a few exo suits before they become superfluous.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah it's what's getting me to consider having a Farmer off the bat to get them to Rancher ASAP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd like if having a preference also gave you, like +2 to the relevant skill or something. Makes me sad when I roll an Artist preference with +0 skill. Dude, I'm never going to bother training you up :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'd like if having a preference also gave you, like +2 to the relevant skill or something. Makes me sad when I roll an Artist preference with +0 skill. Dude, I'm never going to bother training you up :(

Unless art got given a bonus based on the skill of the maker recently, it's honestly not all that big a deal if you have low art skill anyway. It only influences painting speed, right? And once you don't need to make paintings all that often.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slime posted:

Unless art got given a bonus based on the skill of the maker recently, it's honestly not all that big a deal if you have low art skill anyway. It only influences painting speed, right? And once you don't need to make paintings all that often.

No, it also affects the quality of the works, and the quality affects decor bonus.

Basically, any decor item created by a dupe with less than 5 creativity will turn out to be crap.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What do people go for when picking their starting dupes? Here's my "pretty close to ideal" setup:

I always try to have a primary researcher, and I make sure he has minimum 3 creativity as well so he can paint masterpieces in his spare time (change jobs into an art student for +2 creativity for a total of 5). Anything else is a bonus.

Next, I try to have a high strength, high athletics dupe with the supply interest, and make him my gofer.

Then, I have someone with the Dig interest and 3 Learning and make them my digger as well as secondary researcher.

Among all these, interest in Farming is a big bonus as well.

Obviously this doesn't cover everything, but tends to be pretty good to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Better artists make better arts. That was just an example though, my real issue is I don't like putting people in jobs they don't have a passion for because I'm a big ol' softie, so dupes with bad passion/skill match-ups get pulped.

But, like, in a soft-hearted way.