Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taffer posted:

Forced deprecation, completely different from the standard connector deprecation. New standards come out, for more data transfer, more power - which is great for those things but doesn't apply at all to audio connectors. It already puts out enough power for all but the highest resistance headphones, and already puts out enough quality for all but the most imaginative audiophiles. It's small, capable, and until Apple went for a headphone cash grab it was absolutely universal. And now of course everyone else is going for the cash grab because the flood gates have opened.

I've accepted it, out of necessity because I know it's inevitable, but it's still lovely artificial deprecation.

Much like the blind desire for a notch, it's all imitation of Apple's "bravery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Much like the blind desire for a notch, it's all imitation of Apple's "bravery"

There's some cargo culting for sure.

Even so I don't understand fighting it. It's going to happen no matter what, it's time to accept it.

It's like those weirdos who still manually manage their music library by folder structure instead of metadata or have landlines in their home. Crazy hills to die on and everyone just views them with half pity and half disdain, lost souls in a world to which they no longer belong if they ever did.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

There's some cargo culting for sure.

Even so I don't understand fighting it. It's going to happen no matter what, it's time to accept it.

It's like those weirdos who still manually manage their music library by folder structure instead of metadata or have landlines in their home. Crazy hills to die on and everyone just views them with half pity and half disdain, lost souls in a world to which they no longer belong if they ever did.

I want to manage my music by folders and pictures by tags.

At this point I just expect everything to hate me.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The best thing about it is that it makes the minecraft guy harder to google.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

5x owner here looking to jump ship as it seems everyone's phone is bricking recently and my performance on it has been getting much worse in the past few months. The thread made a good case for getting a huawei mate se and I was contemplating pulling the trigger on it last night but decided to sleep on it. Now the $30 discount is gone.

:negative:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It's like those weirdos who still manually manage their music library by folder structure

*pops USB with precious FLACs in rental car*

*all tracks listed alphabetically with no regard for album*

"Sort by album"

"Song aaa, Track 7, album A"
"Song bbb, Track 2, album A"
"Song ccc, Track 9, album A"
"Song aaa, Track 5, album B"

"grr, I meant sort by track number"

"Track 1, album A"
"Track 1, album B"
"Track 1, poorly tagged mixtape"
"Track 1, random podcast episode"

"god dammit, just show by folders"

*fanfares blare, rock riffs rip, great glory erupts"

There are many crazy hills to die on but this one is mine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The dumb thing about the metadata/folder argument is that if your music is sorted so perfectly by folder its trivially easy to update the metadata based on that information

Then you have the best of both worlds

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

The dumb thing about the metadata/folder argument is that if your music is sorted so perfectly by folder its trivially easy to update the metadata based on that information

Then you have the best of both worlds

Yes let me sit down and massage the metadata of this music blog mixtape so I can import it into my indexed database so I can filter the huge single list quickly so I can listen to it once, then delete it, then trivially deal with missing file errors later. Oh and where's the MP3 tag for "seven completely different things I want to listen to on this plane trip, but maybe not again"? I just open a file transfer app, browse the Android file system (that's right!) and copy over the folders of the things I want to listen to on that trip for instance. Content loading and playlist making is the same operation. Then I can browse them with my folder player just like on the computer, and the random tagging practices of FLAC sellers, podcast makers or mixtape publishers doesn't bother me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ola posted:

Yes let me sit down and massage the metadata of this music blog mixtape so I can import it into my indexed database so I can filter the huge single list quickly so I can listen to it once, then delete it, then trivially deal with missing file errors later. Oh and where's the MP3 tag for "seven completely different things I want to listen to on this plane trip, but maybe not again"? I just open a file transfer app, browse the Android file system (that's right!) and copy over the folders of the things I want to listen to on that trip for instance. Content loading and playlist making is the same operation. Then I can browse them with my folder player just like on the computer, and the random tagging practices of FLAC sellers, podcast makers or mixtape publishers doesn't bother me.

on the other hand I just fire up spotify

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

oh wow that is new and cool

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ola posted:

Lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spotify doesn't have my anime mashups :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah that's because they don't want the NCMEC to come knocking on their door

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still sort my music by folders on my phone (with metadata updated). Yes, I'm the guy that still uses winamp on his computer and there's no better alternative. Fight me :colbert:

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Library management is a pain in the rear end regardless. Particularly if you use different systems in parallel. I'm using a combination of folders and library metadata depending on where I want to listen. On my desktop I'm using Winamp and it's library function (:corsair:) because I've been using it forever, and it does what I need on my desktop. Later when I got an HTPC I wanted to add my music to the Kodi music library, I suddenly realized what a mess my Album Artists-tag was. In Winamp I never really used or payed attention to that tag because it would group by album name anyway, regardless of what was in the Album Artist-tag. Kodi on the other hand cared a lot about that tag. I've spent more time on library management and re-tagging and fixing tags than I want to know.

Spotify is very conventient, but their tags are often garbage and messes up scrobbling to last.fm.

There's many hills to die on. :downs:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

vyst posted:

No jazz here at GPM!
I feel obligated to point out that Google Play Music's "Energetic Classical" station has like 2 hours of music and has never been updated. So it's entirely possible for the jazz playlists to be the same, which makes them not all that useful

Or maybe Google hates me specifically, but I had to stop listening to that when I kept hearing repeats

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I just say "Hey Google, play <song X> on spotify" then listen to whatever incorrect track it decides to play because it's too much effort arguing with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow, we are in dire need of Google I\O so we can start arguing about new and interesting Android P UI changes.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
https://www.gearbest.com/earphones-c_11241/?odr=low2high&odr_value=1 the entire first page comes under $3 I'd bet there's a pretty serious chunk of people entirely using headphones they got for free

Use metadata though wtf if you don't want to use it for mix tapes or whatever you can still get the automatic stuff for the rest and enjoy the benefits with that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Wow, we are in dire need of Google I\O so we can start arguing about new and interesting Android P UI changes.

they've samsungified everything it's awful

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ola posted:

There are many crazy hills to die on but this one is mine.

Am I the strange one? I could give a gently caress about what album anything is on. I hardly ever buy albums anymore, and if I do, I'm not going to gum up my library with songs that I'm not interested in hearing. I just find a bunch of songs I like, keep them, and shuffle them. I don't care who the artist is. Sure, I'll care about the style, but I just make my own playlists to shuffle.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is a livestream of the G6 launch if you speak Portuguese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILMZMqI6hng

There appears to be a dance team coming out

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor Butts posted:

Am I the strange one? I could give a gently caress about what album anything is on. I hardly ever buy albums anymore, and if I do, I'm not going to gum up my library with songs that I'm not interested in hearing. I just find a bunch of songs I like, keep them, and shuffle them. I don't care who the artist is. Sure, I'll care about the style, but I just make my own playlists to shuffle.

Hardly anyone cares about albums except the artist and like 1% of listeners.

In fact, the percent of people who care about albums almost exactly matches the percent who care about using folders to manage their music.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It is v important that I be able to listen to my carefully curated collection of prog rock albums as each creates its own soundscape that would be sullied by listening to the songs in anything but the proper order as intended by the artiste

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The embargo on G6 articles just expired so there are a bunch out. Here is one:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/19/motorola-moto-g6-g6-play-hands-on/

No Plus in the US and the other versions won't be available for a month or two apparently

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

I'm not too disappointed, though, because the standard Moto G6 is actually quite a bit nicer than I expected. For one, it has the sort of glass-wrapped body one would normally associate with premium phones

Hard pass.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

docbeard posted:

glass wrapped body

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The dumb ai gimmick and stupid selfie garbage being the main selling points are not exactly heartening. Maybe I'll try out the play version

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

gently caress Spotify for intentionally(?) loving up offline library integration

it still kinda works if you manually add tracks to a playlist I think, but I haven't touched my desktop in months

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The embargo on G6 articles just expired so there are a bunch out. Here is one:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/19/motorola-moto-g6-g6-play-hands-on/

No Plus in the US and the other versions won't be available for a month or two apparently

No plus in the US? Back down to Snapdragon 4xx CPUs? gently caress that noise. It's Huawei Honor 7x time.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess I am getting a Nokia 6.1 which is now out of stock gently caress everything

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

No plus in the US? Back down to Snapdragon 4xx CPUs? gently caress that noise. It's Huawei Honor 7x time.

Yeah. I love my G5+, but there is not a single appealing thing about the G6 line in that article.

I mean, I guess it's still got a headphone jack.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah I guess I am getting a Nokia 6.1 which is now out of stock gently caress everything

I think technically it's not supposed to be out until next month. Of course they haven't even updated the U.S. website with the 2018 Nokia 6, which is maybe a bit irritating.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Besides the Axon 7 and OP3t (running custom software), are there any dual sim phones capable of doing Verizon + AT&T.

From what I've seen, they are apparently very rare due to A) lol Verizon and B) the fact that CDMA + GSM in a phone is a shitshow.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Spend some time today setting up my Mom's new Nokia 7 Plus and it performed well and feels nice in hand. Only times it really felt noticeably slower than my Pixel 2 was in dual window mode and when double tapping recents to switch between apps. If I were in the market for an upper midrange/premium-ish phone right now, it'd be an easy choice for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can never remember to use dual window mode on my Pixel XL.

Every time I see it mentiomed I think "gently caress I need to use that".

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I never ever used it until I started regularly watching videos on my phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's awkward and unnecessary in p much all cases ime

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Moto G6 looks like a good replacement for my 2015 Moto X and it's real cheap so I'm pretty happy. No NFC is a bit annoying but I remember my Samsung Galaxy S3 had it and it was useless so no big loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

axeil posted:

Moto G6 looks like a good replacement for my 2015 Moto X and it's real cheap so I'm pretty happy. No NFC is a bit annoying but I remember my Samsung Galaxy S3 had it and it was useless so no big loss.

Mobile payment wasn't a thing when the S3 was around. NFC is super useful now.