Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like I need to repost this from the gif thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Excellent pusher-thruster bout.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Several impressive nodowa in there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

remusclaw posted:

I feel like I need to repost this from the gif thread.

Yeah but who won??

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Yeah but who won??

We all win because the world got incrementally better by the existence of that video.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Fryhtaning posted:

Endo didn't look outwardly impressive, but for those who have watched a lot of sumo he very much deserved the award. He played some excellent defensive sumo against some ferocious attacks and won multiple bouts that I was sure he was going to lose. It's hard to appreciate performances like Endo's and Kakuryu's without having observed enough sumo to see the tactical games that go on in the middle of the flurry of palms. I've been watching almost 9 years and I'm just now getting to where I can identify the kimarite (before it's displayed on the screen) at even a 50% rate.

His defensive sumo was really awesome I can't disagree, but I thought that was more fighting spirit prize territory than technique prize.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Apparently Takanohana has been demoted yet again after one of his wrestlers assaulted and attendant after a match:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201803290057.html

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I like Takanohana, and he's got some good ideas about changes that would benefit sumo in the long run, but drat he sure needs to learn to be more strategic.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well surely Takanohana reported the assault to police, right?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
https://twitter.com/mogu_shark_mogu/status/980086901573996544

Unrelated, just thought it was a cool picture.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Only just been able to catch up on the second week of the basho. I'm really glad Kakuryu scored a good yusho, only losing to two guys on really good form. Holding it together as the sole Yokozuna - especially after a long run of injuries - should hopefully elevate his reputation and take the pressure off if he has another injury spell further down the line.

Takayasu is placing himself well to be the next Yokozuna and my boy Tochinoshin's definitely in with a shout of reaching Ozeki, which I'd given up hope of ever happening when he dropped all the way down the ranks.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Couple bits of sumo news. First, during the regional sumo tour some local mayor was giving a speech in the ring and he collapsed. People rushed to his aid including a couple women who happened to be nurses or doctors, and they *gasp* broke the taboo on women entering the dohyo. Someone who was there from the sumo association was agitated and told them to leave the ring, which they did. Then this led to a bunch of drama where the public said that old customs and tradition should be tossed aside in an emergency, and the sumo association apologized for the mess, basically saying it was a very stressful situation. (ie, come on, the guy was very old and confused in the commotion, give him a break)

Second, Hakuho's father died, and Hakuho is going to Mongolia for a few days before coming back to resume his duties. This apparently also frees him to seek Japanese citizenship, he had refrained from doing that as a sign of respect to his father while he was alive, which makes sense over there in their culture(s) somehow.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So the other option was for the female first responders to just let the dude die on the dohyo because of ~*impurities*~?

Sucks about Hakuho's dad though :(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apparently one of the mayors on the jungyo called for the end of that particular tradition when he made his speech.

Here's Ichinojo being happy on his 25th birthday:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I wonder if he saved cake for anyone else

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He’s only 25!?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Omnikin posted:

I wonder if he saved cake for anyone else

Come now, how is he going to split the three or four bites of cake he's holding?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Do rikishi always get two cakes? I recall seeing another two-cake birthday photo recently.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

He’s only 25!?

To be honest I thought he was even younger. I'm not sure he ever lost his baby fat at any age in his life.

And to put it in perspective, Hakuho was 22 when he became Yokozuna, as was Asashoryu.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Do rikishi always get two cakes? I recall seeing another two-cake birthday photo recently.

I don't think its a specific custom, just more than one group of people buying cake.

I think there was also a third cake, in Ichinojo's case, that he got later.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not sure what it is that I was expecting but the sumo museum in Tokyo was probably the most disappointing thing on this whole trip. One room with some photos and old banzuke. The end.

I don’t know if there’s anything else I’m going to try to find that is sumo related. I could try to hit up one of the public practices at one of the Chūō stables I guess.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I’m not sure what it is that I was expecting but the sumo museum in Tokyo was probably the most disappointing thing on this whole trip. One room with some photos and old banzuke. The end.

I don’t know if there’s anything else I’m going to try to find that is sumo related. I could try to hit up one of the public practices at one of the Chūō stables I guess.

Oh yeah, why didn’t you ask us about it? Would have told you to go to Edo Tokyo Museum next door instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I did both, the sumo “museum” was just so horrifically underwhelming that I felt I needed to go be snarky on the internet :haw:

E: I said hi to a few jr. rikishi walking around the area though so it wasn’t a total wash. Wasn’t forward enough to ask for a selfie, figured they get that enough from tourists.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 19, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So, I guess on that note, is there anything souvenir-y in Tokyo that’s sumo related? I’m hoping to find something I can put up on my wall framed. Maybe a banzuke copy or something like that? Not sure where to go to find something like that.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Martytoof posted:

So, I guess on that note, is there anything souvenir-y in Tokyo that’s sumo related? I’m hoping to find something I can put up on my wall framed. Maybe a banzuke copy or something like that? Not sure where to go to find something like that.

My recommendation is a Hakuho handprint. Get the GOAT’s signature on your wall. I have a nice one that also has a portrait of him. I bought it at a basho but there’s a store in the kokugikan that’s always open and I’m pretty sure you can buy them. Failing that, a bath towel or hand towel is my go to Japanese souvenir because so many places have them and they’re actually useful.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I believe Sadogatake is one of the easier ones to get into for watching practice. That's where all the Koto- rikishi are from, which includes Kotooshu and Kotoshogiku.

Also go eat at a chanko-nabe restaurant and bring home the souvenir of extra weight. And don't be afraid of the junior rikishi, who probably are barely recognized in their own hometowns. You ain't poo poo til you're in the paid ranks.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Banzuke has been released. The only real surprise may be that Onosho was tossed completely out of the top division (0-0-15, from M5) instead of Nishikigi (5-10, from M14).

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Kakuryu (*)            Yokozuna                Hakuho
Kisenosato             Yokozuna
Takayasu                Ozeki                  Goeido
Tochinoshin            Sekiwake                Ichinojo (+)
Mitakeumi (-)          Komosubi                Endo (+)
Tamawashi                 M1                   Kaisei
Shohozan                  M2                   Abi
Daieisho                  M3                   Yutakayama
Chiyotairyu (-)           M4                   Shodai
Kotoshogiku               M5                   Ikioi
Chiyoshoma                M6                   Takarafuji
Ryuden                    M7                   Chiyomaru
Yoshikaze                 M8                   Kagayaki
Daishomaru                M9                   Hokutofuji
Okinoumi                  M10                  Takakeisho
Daiamami                  M11                  Chiyonokuni
Arawashi                  M12                  Asanoyama
Ishiura                   M13                  Aoiyama
Sadanoumi (+)             M14                  Takakaze (+)
Tochiozan                 M15                  Kyokutaisei (+)
Myogiryu                  M16                  Aminishiki (+)
Nishikigi                 M17

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 29, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Any news on yokozuna/ozeki fitness?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its a bit early, they try to keep any injury a secret until maybe a week or a few days before the tournament. Kisenosato did reportedly say this week that he was happy with what he was able to do in April, and that if preparations go well the next 2 weeks then he'll compete in May.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sanyaku Notes:

Neither of the Ozeki are kadoban.

Takayasu is arguably on a weak yokozuna run. One of the standards for promotion as a "back to back yusho equivalent" is a yusho and 2 runner-up (jun-yusho) in 3 tournaments. Takayasu has jun-yusho in January and March, but those 2 runner-ups were not as competitive (12-3, no playoff) as some people would like for a Yokozuna promotion from a younger guy, and he also wont get any kind of "lifetime achievement award" type of consideration like Kisenosato. So, he'll probably need a dominant yusho to have a decent chance. (14-1 or better?)

Tochinoshin is clearly on an Ozeki run. The standard is 33 wins over 3 tournaments in Sanyaku. He was M3 in January, but it probably counts because he was ranked high enough to compete against everyone and he won the yusho. He should probably get 10 wins in May (so 34 wins in his Ozeki run) if he wants to remove all doubt. 9-6 might not quite get there.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Everyone participated in exhibition matches over the last month, which is a good sign. Still, the higher ups basically told them to stay home unless they can compete for all 15 days, so they might be conservative.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Abi being M2 seems risky for him. He's earned the rank over the last two Basho but his erratic style will get him eaten alive at a rank that high.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Abi being M2 seems risky for him. He's earned the rank over the last two Basho but his erratic style will get him eaten alive at a rank that high.

I agree, he's probably going to be make-koshi this upcoming tournament. He's really vulnerable to henka given his style. Probably won't be his favored style, but I think he will learn some mawashi techniques to complement his thrusting as he gets more experience.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Excited for Natsu! This basho is my year anniversary of watching sumo.

If people are up for fantasy again I'm down to run it. The draft rules are the same: pick 3 rikishi from each of the rank sets (y/o, s/k, M1-5, M6-10, M11+), and I'll run a draft on the Friday before the basho. The exhaustive rules are here, including stuff about trading.

I've got a buddy working on an app to make running the league a bit easier. Nothing fancy atm, it'll just be a better spreadsheet for me basically, but maybe someday it'll be a whole website!

I'll update with my picks maybe tonight or tomorrow.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm in. Here are my picks:

Y/O: Kakuryu/Hakuho/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Mitakeumi
M1-5: Tamawashi/Kaisei/Ikioi
M6-10: Hokutofuji/Yoshikaze/Ryuden
M11+: Arawashi/Aoiyama/Daiamami

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 11, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to sit this one out because I'm really swamped at work and I can see myself often forgetting to check the thread/make updates to my roster if necessary.

Still looking forward to the tourney! I regret not picking up a flyer in Japanese while I was there -- will definitely have to do that next time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so here are my picks for fantasy:

Y/O: Hakuho / Kakuryu / Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin / Mitakeumi / Endo
M1-5: Kaisei / Tamawashi / Abi
M6-10: Takakeisho / Hokutofuji / Chiyomaru
M11+: Asanoyama / Aoiyama / Tochiozan

I don't think Abi will survive at m2w, but I want to believe. I'm putting chips down on Kaisei, but it'll be interesting to see him go against the whole san'yaku slate. If Takakeisho or Hokutofuji are recovered from their injuries they should totally demolish those mid-maegashira ranks.

Has anyone heard updates about Onosho or Ura?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm in, but I'll wait until the day before the deadline to enter. There's always guys pulling out or hurt and trying to gambarize with news up to a couple days before the basho. I just want to sit down and figure out my lineup once.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Y/O: Hakuho/ Kakuryu/Takayasu
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Endo
M1-5: Kaisei/ Yutakayama/Kotoshogiku
M6-10: Hokutofuji/Kagayaki/Ryuden
M11+: Aoiyama/Aminishiki/Tochiozan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Y/O: Hakuho/Kisenosato/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Endou