Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it is canon that geordi blinded himself in engineering school because being blind was not only more efficient for his work, but his visor is also capable of automatically shutting down within nanoseconds of detecting nudity, protecting him not only from accidental seeing himself nude, but from having other's nudity imposed upon him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Ghostlight posted:

it is canon that geordi blinded himself in engineering school because being blind was not only more efficient for his work, but his visor is also capable of automatically shutting down within nanoseconds of detecting nudity, protecting him not only from accidental seeing himself nude, but from having other's nudity imposed upon him.

i was gonna say "didn't geordi say he was blind since birth?" but maybe geordi is going the "interview with the vampire" route and means "when he was Born into Darkness" because i could totally picture geordi considering the start of engineering school/puberty as being born into darkness for sure

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It made sense to me that Ro's earring would be technically against dress code because it's a dangly bit of chain that could get caught on something and cause an injury. But yeah, actually enforcing that was just Riker being a prick.

That was my first thought too. And it is a legitimate issue when dealing with contamination, in real life anyway. Much like how people are expected not to wear rings or have particular types of piercings.

But maybe I am just being anti-Bajoran. It is hard to get over ingrained prejudices when 98 percent of Bajorans you come into contact with have made your day worse. And the remainder is someone who spent years away from Bajor trying to keep them from being stupid, while another mostly ignored their customs and served Dabo tables or dated cool super genius Ferengi.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Odo wears nothing but his commbadge.

Odo doesn't wear a commbadge, he grows one.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Odo doesn't wear a commbadge, he grows one.

That's a good point actually, you never see his comm badge drop to the ground when he goes full goop, which implies that its part of him, but creating an entire electronic working device seems beyond the founders, otherwise they could just use shape-shifting to give themselves phaser hands, eyes, and mouths or go full Megatron and turn themselves into a huge gun that another founder then fires.

So if the comm badge is a "thing" it means he basically carries it inside him when he's goop. Or like when he shifts into the shape of a targ it must be like nestled inside where its organs would be or something.

Wow this is really confusing, it's not like star trek to overlook a big part of continuity or canon like this.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Odo is basically magic because unless he weighs a few ounces people would be unable to pick up 150lb objects he turns into to hide from people. That or a coffee cup worth of material couldn't turn into a giant ten foot tall goo monster that can throw people around.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the goop is 60% midichlorians by weight

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Changelings are kind of ridiculous. It's not hard to see why various less powerful races have mistaken them for Gods.

Odo can totally mimic a commbadge and send/receive the signals a real one could, including stuff for security fields and to be picked up on sensors and whatnot. It isn't even hard for him.

The only reason he's bad at faces is because of psychological trauma from his early years, and probably a subconscious attempt at keeping the Cardassians from conscripting him as the perfect spy/assassin, to get categorized as a novelty, rather than a real asset.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most changelings we see are probably way older than Odo and have knowledge from the Great Link uninhibited though, I figure convincing impersonation is just super hard for them.

And given Laas could Warp travel on his own by assuming the form of a space creature, there might be no real upper limit to Changeling abilities, most are just too conservative and paranoid to try. And maybe those that do tend to ascend to Q style beings.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Kitchner posted:

So if the comm badge is a "thing" it means he basically carries it inside him when he's goop. Or like when he shifts into the shape of a targ it must be like nestled inside where its organs would be or something.

This is my headcanon. It's really no more absurd than the Changelings already are.

As for the weight/mass problem, I read a pretty nifty thing about that (it involves subspace, of course) long ago on some forum that Robert Hewitt Wolfe participated in. I'm on mobile now but I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm sick of all these insinuations that Trekkies are all pedophiles!

*Unwittingly opens Star Trek thread in public to a page full of child beauty contestants*

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Changelings are kind of ridiculous. It's not hard to see why various less powerful races have mistaken them for Gods.

Odo can totally mimic a commbadge and send/receive the signals a real one could, including stuff for security fields and to be picked up on sensors and whatnot. It isn't even hard for him.

The only reason he's bad at faces is because of psychological trauma from his early years, and probably a subconscious attempt at keeping the Cardassians from conscripting him as the perfect spy/assassin, to get categorized as a novelty, rather than a real asset.

Other than Odo's comm badge though, is there any evidence ever of a changeling assuming the form of a working electronic device though? I don't think there is, which means either Odo is the most proficient changeling ever (nope) or his badge is carried all the time when he's goop (maybe) or that the writers didn't even think about it (more likely).

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
talk about bad luck, man :( 9 out of 10 posts in this thread are me spittin' some extremely cool if slightly grody adults only style fucktalk, and this Unlucky Chucky manages to land on the single solitary Aatreks only style post in this entire thread, and he does so in public :(

in fact it's so unlucky it almost defies belief....:thunk:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ok, I found it:

http://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?/topic/14822-since-ds9-is-rerunning-now-on-spike/page__st__160#entry301054

I think there's more discussion about it before and/or after that post.

I have almost certainly linked to that thread before (well, in the TV IV) but it woulda been many years ago. The whole thing is a very good read and in fact the Ex Isle forums in general are interesting. I still don't know exactly what the story is behind them, but they're very insider-y.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 19, 2018

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kitchner posted:

Other than Odo's comm badge though, is there any evidence ever of a changeling assuming the form of a working electronic device though? I don't think there is, which means either Odo is the most proficient changeling ever (nope) or his badge is carried all the time when he's goop (maybe) or that the writers didn't even think about it (more likely).

Has any other changeling ever needed an electronic (optronic, quantum, whatever) device, other than Odo? The Founders had their Jem'Hadar and Vor'ta to do that sort of base thing for them, Founder infiltrators used Starfleet/Klingon/etc devices as the person whose role they were playing would (but may have also learned the commbadge trick in short order, for better on-the-spot shifting like the admiral into a seagull trick), to better be believable. But we also saw Changeling Julian crawling out of that access tube without any tools in his hands, after just (presumably) carrying out some sabotage, even as he claimed he was putting those extension courses to work. Pretty sloppy, but then, that goodude wasn't the most impressive changeling as is, getting blown up while trying to blow up a sun just to cover his sloppy work elsewhere.

We never saw any of them use a phaser, so I assume that level of focused energy expenditure might be beyond them, but we have seen at least one manage warp speeds, so who knows?

The infiltrator on the Defiant that Odo helped kill used some sort of BS Dominion tech to infect and hijack the Defiant's systems (those semi-bio almost changeling-like tube things), which he would've needed to smuggle inside his body, so we know they can do that (and I always knew it was a possibility Odo just hides his badge inside him when shifting).

We don't really know, I'm not trying to stake my INTERNET REP on it, I just thought it was an interesting point to bring up. I still think it's plausible, that he's just shifting a fully-functional one onto his chest, I mean he learned that drinking glass trick pretty fast once he had any interest in being more sociable, and there was that aforementioned warp travel, turning into liquids and gasses, who knows?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Kitchner posted:

It does explain how the Founders intercepted the Federation communications so easily. See a device, be a device. And they do faces well iirc because they perfectly impersonate people, they just choose to look like Odo for his benefit, I think they say that in an episode.

And you can say they do the whole growth thing like an inflatable raft, just high pressure atmosphere or liquid changeling making larger solid appendeges .

That can work in reverse for being lightweight and small if we assume Odo is 90% vacuole in his human form.

And he definitely doesn't wear clothes but forms them, he says it about his shiny new belt.

So. Basically all changelings are walking naked erect penises.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of the episode where Odo shows off how he's learned to fake drinking to fit in better.

I do like how a recurring theme in DS9 was how every character reacts and relates to their home culture and its history, changes and issues; Kira and Bajor, Garak and Cardassia, Odo and the Great Link, Quark, Rom and Nog to the Ferengi, Worf of course to the Klingon Empire, and even the human characters to the Federation and Earth. (Sisko in particular dealing with his heritage as an African-American) None of them fit perfectly into the ideal mould of their home culture, and they have to come to terms with that, and then deal with said cultures changing, for better or worse. (and often subjectively from their point of view) Even Dax a bit, though not very much and not very well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kitchner posted:

It raises an interesting philosophical point: if you aren't wearing any clothes, but you have a holograph projected of clothes over your body and everyone thinks you're wearing clothes, are you still, in fact, naked?

This is why I loved Star Trek, it always tackled the big questions.

The problem there would be leaving buttprints on all the chairs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Facebook Aunt posted:

The problem there would be leaving buttprints on all the chairs.

You’d setup a transporter pattern to wipe your butt prints automatically. Duh

Edit: or an exocomp with a swiffer attachment

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Or just holographically hide it until you're a good distance away and then someone else will get the blame.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Are the black goo alien and the founders related?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

Are the black goo alien and the founders related?

are you referring to the goo of color who slew tasha yar? nah, no relation believe it or not. despite both of these jerky oozegoos being evil and hate-filled and malicious and needlessly cruel, and both resembling something out of Marc Summers' most traumatizing gak-induced after-work naptime nightmare, they have very different origins. the founders came about when the young bored Q (the DeLancie Q) invented TV to watch Mister Wizard and soon decided to mix borax laundry detergent and elmer's glue with the prebiotic soupy ocean of a primordial planet just on the cusp of the emergence of life (and a few droplets of red food coloring). but it didn't take long for the omnipotent dork child to grow bored with his homemade slime, and he left it stuck to a comet made of frozen methane and ammonia. the comet soon passed through the high energy UV radiation of a big honkin yellow sun, and by the time the comet had melted, the Mister Wizard homemade slime with a dorky DeLancie child Q twist had become the proto-Great-Link. eventually an elder paternal continuum member scolded young Q for leaving his playthings haphazardly strewn about the cosmos. young Q stomped off sullenly, gathering up his stuff and tossing it into his pocket universe closet. somehow the proto-Great-Link ended up beside one of Q's more devious and twisted possessions (an early warning sign of his future fetishisation of torturing lesser beings), a grody object he yanked out of an iconian gateway and used to damage the psyches and diminish the intelligence and capacity for reason of more limited life forms. exposing the proto-Great-Link to his copy of The Art of the Deal was completely unintentional but it just might have been the most significant thing Q would ever do, with consequences reaching far across space and time as this goopy puddle of kiddy's kitchen chemistry was warped and twisted into one of the galaxy's most notorious cadre of fascist conquerors.

armus, the goo of color best known for mercing tasha yar and being one of only four entities to have penetrated ALL of riker's orifices, had much humbler origins: a very advanced race of attractive people (basically just like the Edo, that race of Aryan superbabes dressed in white napkin loincloths with major cameltoe/mooseknuckle, who wanted to execute Wesley crusher for the crime of being Wesley crusher in a designated punishment zone, only not borderline retarded like the Edo) kept fuckin around with those Bioré strips that pull all the blackheads from the pores on your face, they all loved lookin at the strip afterwards and seeing all those gross lil blackheads stuck to the strip, some of them were pretty long and thick and sometimes if they'd been eating a lot of chocolate lately, the strip looked like a tiny lil forest made of keratin bushes and oily sebum trees, it was super gross but also ridiculously fascinating. anyway one of these fuckers got to thinking "wouldn't it be cool if there was a big Bioré strip that pulled the jerk out of a person, the same way a little one pulls the dead skin cells and blackheads out of facial pores? heck yes, it WOULD be cool!" and everyone soon jumped on this bandwagon. the most brilliant minds in cosmetology and psychiatry all worked tirelessly until at last the entire race's oily douchebaggery was yanked free from the pores of their personalities by a massive psychic Bioré strip. the dickish sebum and assholey blackheads coagulated into one big oil slick mega prick, and the people banished the goopy jackass to some lovely barren planet and told it they were abandoning it forever because it couldn't move poo poo with its mind. "if you could do poo poo like Keanu in the matrix," they said to Armus, "we never would have Bioréd you. but you can't. you can't even bend a drat spoon like that Hebrew fella on Carson! sorry, but thems the breaks." and so Armus sat, stewing in his own slimy goopness, and for a billion years he focused his mind on the matrix and nothing else, and finally when the Ent-D crossed his path, Armus finally had the chance to prove once and for all that he knew Kung Fu. and he did, by god, the son of a bitch really did. he Kung fued Tasha yar right into the fucken afterlife. they never bothered showing it on TV, but after the Ent-D bounced, right around the time everyone was in the holodeck watching the most recent "...so I'm dead now" video that everyone always teased Tasha for recording every week (but she had the last laugh, or at least she would have laughed last had she not been Kung fued to death) Armus was down on the planet, thinking about everything that had happened in the last billion years, and finally he realized that they didn't care about his neo skills, they had Punk'd him like the handsome bunch of kutchers they were, and no one was ever coming to check out how deftly he had Kung fued Tasha to death. "gently caress," he bellowed at the sky.

Gatekeeper fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 19, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Armus is descended from the trash bag people planet, the Founders are descended from a radioactive mercury spill.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anything could be a Founder. They shoot baby Founders out into the wilderness to explore, and hope most of them eventually make it back home.

What happens when a blob baby crashes on a planet without warp tech? They are just stuck there. Stuck there for thousands of years. Maybe become a god or a forest spirit for whatever race of primitives live there.

Now what if one crashed on a barren planet barely able to support life? It might not die, but there is nothing interesting around to mimic. Eventually it gets the urge to head for home, but it can't, because there is gently caress all technology on this rock. It just sits there, all alone, slowly going crazy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The founders related to that fake goo Voyager?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I could get behind Armus as an insane changeling because that makes more sense than him being congealed hatred or whatever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Founders are real negligent parents.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm sure a minor event that takes place between the Eugenic Wars and World War 3 is going to be what people remember 300 years later

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

I'm sure a minor event that takes place between the Eugenic Wars and World War 3 is going to be what people remember 300 years later

Yeah, why remember that when you could be remembering how your ancestors weren't allowed in Vegas dinner clubs back in the 1950s.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, why remember that when you could be remembering how your ancestors weren't allowed in Vegas dinner clubs back in the 1950s.

One of these things is not like the other

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sisko lived that time, did you even watch DS9?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In Enterprise that Xindi probe did like 1000 9/11s at once

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Moridin920 posted:

In Enterprise that Xindi probe did like 1000 9/11s at once

It’s only Florida so it doesn’t really count

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I juat read about the xindi and temporal cold war and the latter sounds cool in concept. A shame that you know enterprise is unwatchable poo poo

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Starfleet Command did 3/53

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hot take, I thought the temporal cold war was underrated and I wish they saw the concept through instead of just desperately ditching it halfway in.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
ENT was an easier watch for me than VOY

like other than the ENT ending being garbage i think the 4 seasons of ENT is way more watchable than the 7 of VOY

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

drjuggalo posted:

ENT was an easier watch for me than VOY

like other than the ENT ending being garbage i think the 4 seasons of ENT is way more watchable than the 7 of VOY

And not just because there's less of it! (ENT is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I've been watching/falling asleep with Voyager on lately. Depending on my frame of mind, it's either worse or better than I remembered. When start examining it it totally falls apart. When I just watch it as the frivolous relic of 80's-style storytelling that it is, it's alright. It's pretty funny on occasion, and had some strong episodes. Even though they failed hard at telling a series-long story, I find it more consistent than Enterprise just by virtue of not having wild tonal shifts every season. And poo poo, sometimes it's nice to have self-contained episodes to skip around instead of a series-long arc.

EDIT: Much of the last couple seasons are pretty awful, but I don't see how that's different than most 90's/00's TV.