Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oh also just read your thoughts on Lockpicks and I disagree, especially in solo mode. Most locations only have 1 clue, some have 2. So in solo a lot of times your turn has a move action and an investigate action and then <something else>. In light of that, a single good investigate check per round is often sufficient. You can supplement this by pumping resources into Streetwise for those few turns where you do need multiple investigate checks.

Also if you hate the second Lone Wolf, it's still worth it to include a single copy, no?

Also also, for a fun exercise, read back your own post and see how often you mention Leo and in what context. To me it reads very much like basically your whole deck is build around Leo. As in, he forces you to decide on certain economy cards and forces you down an upgrade path because his cost isn't compatible with the cost of other good cards. Furthermore I think the having more actions is the reason you discount Lockpicks as you're looking to investigate more often.

Now sure, Leo is very strong, but you have no way to tutor for him so basically building your whole deck concept around him, as you appear to have (perhaps not conciously?) done is very risky, for reasons you acknowledge in your post.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I do think of Leo as an auto-include (and if Jenny can't afford him, who can?) but even if he doesn't show up early I do get him in most games just due to how much you end up cycling through your deck. I just feel like I can stay ahead of the agenda deck much easier with him and I have more options at the start of every turn.

Lockpicks are only one point higher than a Flashlight (which I do consider to be significant) but I remember a series of frustrating games where they felt really limiting. Like, the Miskatonic Museum halls mostly have two clues and if you want to collect as many as you can for extra VP I don't see how you can do that with Lockpicks and/or without Leo, just as an example. I dunno, I loved them in my Wendy deck (where I also got better Double or Nothing rolls) but in this one they didn't seem as good, and also you can't really get Sleight of Hand value from them either.

I did try a single copy of Lone Wolf for a while but then it's just less likely to appear early when you can get the most value from it, and it's not great as a skill card. It's definitely not bad or anything, I just feel like "Watch This!" is generally more beneficial.

I can see my opinion on these things reversing again with more play time, it just felt like I'd played enough to gain some appreciation for the variance and that I was making headway on evaluating different cards! You raise a good point with Leo; I didn't even consider not playing him, but now I'm wondering what it would be like.

edit : thinking about this some more, I think I was gravitating towards a general strategy of 'more actions with lower chance of success' vs 'fewer actions with higher chance of success' and I think it's because I wasn't able to game the token bag like I could with Wendy or Mark Harrigan, by which I just mean as Jenny it's harder to do consistent tests where you've accounted for the biggest negative modifier because her stats aren't as good. Does that make sense? I guess it's the wrong way to think about this stuff.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 16, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Lockpicks aren't just an additional point over flashlights, they also don't run out nearly as easily.

They also free up slight of hand (you won't need it anymore if you go with machete and switchblade) and remove another unreliable combo from your deck, improving consistency.

Two Lone Wolfs is great.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Why are you comparing Lone Wolf to Watch This rather than Emergency Cache anyway? Emergency Cache is such a meh card.

It's the economy card you go to when you have literally no other options and in a very few corner cases.

Kalko posted:

edit : thinking about this some more, I think I was gravitating towards a general strategy of 'more actions with lower chance of success' vs 'fewer actions with higher chance of success' and I think it's because I wasn't able to game the token bag like I could with Wendy or Mark Harrigan, by which I just mean as Jenny it's harder to do consistent tests where you've accounted for the biggest negative modifier because her stats aren't as good. Does that make sense? I guess it's the wrong way to think about this stuff.

I do understand where you're coming from with this logic. Having played a lot of Netrunner my first assumption was also that quantity of actions would be very strong. However, especially when playing on Hard or Expert, you quickly find that actually quality of actions is more important. Only once you have solid quality of actions does quantity become super strong as you would expect it to be. Losing an action + resources (either literal resources or card commits) to a failed check is just really costly and bad stuff happening due to a chaos token just seals the deal.

If you're spending cards + resources to generate extra actions and you end up using those actions to draw extra cards, something has probably gone wrong.

As for your point about Jenny not being able to game the token bag? She totally can though, with her money and cards like Streetwise. Lockpicks + investigate with Streetwise = 2 investigate actions at 6 intellect. And you can do this every turn. If you add in Milan you're doing it at 7 intellect and only sporadically losing a resource here and there. If you add in Leo instead you have an extra action instead to uhh, do something with I guess?

Note how if you have Leo as a second ally he'd be amazing. If you can afford him, which is a big if.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 16, 2018

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Why are you comparing Lone Wolf to Watch This rather than Emergency Cache anyway? Emergency Cache is such a meh card.

It's the economy card you go to when you have literally no other options and in a very few corner cases.

Emergency Cache is a card I always want to cut but then the times it lets you do something now instead of next turn (or saves you spending actions on resources, ugh) feel really impactful. That probably doesn't outweigh all the times you draw it and it's basically dead, though.

quote:

I do understand where you're coming from with this logic. Having played a lot of Netrunner my first assumption was also that quantity of actions would be very strong. However, especially when playing on Hard or Expert, you quickly find that actually quality of actions is more important. Only once you have solid quality of actions does quantity become super strong as you would expect it to be. Losing an action + resources (either literal resources or card commits) to a failed check is just really costly and bad stuff happening due to a chaos token just seals the deal.

If you're spending cards + resources to generate extra actions and you end up using those actions to draw extra cards, something has probably gone wrong.

As for your point about Jenny not being able to game the token bag? She totally can though, with her money and cards like Streetwise. Lockpicks + investigate with Streetwise = 2 investigate actions at 6 intellect. And you can do this every turn. If you add in Milan you're doing it at 7 intellect and only sporadically losing a resource here and there. If you add in Leo instead you have an extra action instead to uhh, do something with I guess?

Note how if you have Leo as a second ally he'd be amazing. If you can afford him, which is a big if.

Yeah, the Lockpicks are great up to shroud two for covering the -4 token, it's all the times you have to investigate shroud three or four where they feel lacking. And for those spots you need to Lockpicks + Streetwise or double Streetwise to guarantee the success, which gets very expensive very fast. I can see the Milan value here and I'll definitely swap him for Leo next time.

Speaking of second allies, I've taken Charisma at some point on all of my runs. Earlier with my Daisy deck, which started with a couple of different allies, and later on Mark and Jenny where I ended up taking some story allies (along with Brother Xavier + Beat Cop on Mark). If affordability is part of the issue with Leo, how do you feel about Leo XP1 as a late upgrade after you get Charisma?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Lockpicks aren't just an additional point over flashlights, they also don't run out nearly as easily.

They also free up slight of hand (you won't need it anymore if you go with machete and switchblade) and remove another unreliable combo from your deck, improving consistency.

Do you mean you don't play with Sleight at all? I do use Machete and Switchblade but I find it great for just getting more shots from a Derringer when you need the +2 attack, and later with Lupara it's amazing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

Do you mean you don't play with Sleight at all? I do use Machete and Switchblade but I find it great for just getting more shots from a Derringer when you need the +2 attack, and later with Lupara it's amazing.

I just played through Carcosa with Jenny and never used or needed Sleight despite having it in my deck for most of the campaign. The campaign felt a lot more evasion friendly though. I almost never needed my guns, backstab + double or nothing is really, really powerful.

Regarding the number of clues per location in single player, check out this spoiler free breakdown someone did: https://strangesolution.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/location-location-location-clue-count-charts/

I think another reason I prefer lockpicks is that I often try to commit to tests so that pulling one of the mythos tokens won't completely gently caress me over. This means you'll succeed by 2 more than half the time. Those extra uses add up. I'm also fond of the Cat Burglar, which makes them +2 over a flashlight.

Fight or Flight is the best card. I combined it with Ace in the Hole to do some absolutely absurd work.

edit: Thinking back on it, I had good success with flashlight and sleight in dunwich. It is kinda amazing how different the campaigns end up being.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2018

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just played through Carcosa with Jenny and never used or needed Sleight despite having it in my deck for most of the campaign. The campaign felt a lot more evasion friendly though. I almost never needed my guns, backstab + double or nothing is really, really powerful.

Yeah, when I played the first few Dunwich scenarios as Wendy I was able to evade a lot and Backstab + DoN key enemies, but the same trick didn't work well for me as Jenny and I'm trying to remember why. I think because it's too expensive to repeatedly boost with Streetwise? Wendy has +1 agi and Peter Sylvestre, making agi tests more consistent in general, I guess.

quote:

Regarding the number of clues per location in single player, check out this spoiler free breakdown someone did: https://strangesolution.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/location-location-location-clue-count-charts/

I think another reason I prefer lockpicks is that I often try to commit to tests so that pulling one of the mythos tokens won't completely gently caress me over. This means you'll succeed by 2 more than half the time. Those extra uses add up. I'm also fond of the Cat Burglar, which makes them +2 over a flashlight.

This is a great site. The differences between campaigns are really interesting, and it does back up my feeling that Dunwich has a lot of 2+ clue locations. Lockpicks definitely do help for triggering the +2 threshold bonus on a lot of rogue cards, and I'm thinking that alongside Milan I would probably see better returns on Double or Nothing.

One thing I'm taking away from this is that Adaptable is even better than I thought. I didn't actually swap much between each scenario, but if you run the numbers (or go with your feels like me) you can probably get huge value from it. The scenario where Leo felt most useful to me was Blood on the Altar, where you have to fully investigate multiple locations and one of them is three shroud with three clues ("welp, hope it's not that one" [skips to next location]). Also, a lot of the locations are one-way travel only, and after fairly bad RNG in tracking down the required parts at the end I was able to get the 'good' resolution with the Necronomicon by moving into Silas Bishop's room, investigating twice, then moving back out to avoid his attack. Repeat for the 7-8 clues it takes.

But I can see how stuff like that biases my opinion of Leo, and it took this thread (thanks Orange Devil) to make me realize most of the extra actions you get from him don't amount to much.

edit : just while I was thinking about Blood on the Altar, I love that they included some weak enemies you can kill to automatically grab clues, relieving a bit of the burden of pure investigation (and giving fighters something to do in group play) even though 1) they have to spawn at an empty location you might not be able to get to easily, and 2) you might not even draw them. The fighting and clue-hunting is balanced really well across the scenarios so that even if one is favored over the other there are still a lot of different ways you can progress. Game is well designed.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 17, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I got into this in my ongoing attempt to make sure I never have too much money (I've mostly quit Magic if you're curious what my old money sink was.) From reading the thread, it looks like I'm not the only one to make the switch. So I was wondering a few things.

1. I'm pretty sure this has been answered but is there any reason I can't use newer cards for older campaigns? I got the whole set of Carcosa + its expansions from the CSI sale a few months ago, so is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use them to play through the base campaign? I've been thinking about getting a 2nd core set but I want to see what's in that redo they're doing of the core set. If it's like a redo of the core set with all of the original cards and some new stuff, I'll wait for that. Have there been any updates since the announcement? I've only played with the base decks it gives you in the learn to play book, and I'm still trying to figure out what's actually good. I've made a few upgrades to the decks with the 7 exp we got but I'm sure they're not very good. Especially only having 1 base set. I'm out of town until tomorrow or I'd post the changes I made for everyone to laugh at.

2. I've only played through the first part of the original campaign a few times. Once alone trying to learn the game, once with my wife trying to relearn it and teach her, and once again alone just to kill time at work. For people who've played through the campaigns multiple times with different people, did it work better once you had some knowledge of it already? I wouldn't have any trouble pretending I don't know what's going to happen and I think it would be good to be able to help her a little if she gets stuck.

3. Are there any "traps" that people fall into? For example in Magic, everyone who has ever played the game has tried to build a life gain deck. Most of us have learned that this is not good. Are there things like that in this game? I put the Elder Sign Amulet, I think it was called, in my Roland deck to boost his sanity he took 1 permanent horror in the resolution of the first game and I was worried about him only having 4 and a bulletproof vest in Wendy's deck. But even as I was putting them in, I kept thinking it was a trap. Like it would probably be better as an ally to soak the damage or just a card that helps me not take the damage to begin with. I'll probably build new decks and start over when we play next, hopefully with some newer cards and some input from people who know what they're doing.

4. Is anyone ITT near Pittsburgh? Everyone is super unreliable and I'd like to have a few people I could meet with semi-regularly for whatever.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

suicidesteve posted:

So I got into this in my ongoing attempt to make sure I never have too much money (I've mostly quit Magic if you're curious what my old money sink was.) From reading the thread, it looks like I'm not the only one to make the switch. So I was wondering a few things.

1. I'm pretty sure this has been answered but is there any reason I can't use newer cards for older campaigns? I got the whole set of Carcosa + its expansions from the CSI sale a few months ago, so is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use them to play through the base campaign? I've been thinking about getting a 2nd core set but I want to see what's in that redo they're doing of the core set. If it's like a redo of the core set with all of the original cards and some new stuff, I'll wait for that. Have there been any updates since the announcement? I've only played with the base decks it gives you in the learn to play book, and I'm still trying to figure out what's actually good. I've made a few upgrades to the decks with the 7 exp we got but I'm sure they're not very good. Especially only having 1 base set. I'm out of town until tomorrow or I'd post the changes I made for everyone to laugh at.

2. I've only played through the first part of the original campaign a few times. Once alone trying to learn the game, once with my wife trying to relearn it and teach her, and once again alone just to kill time at work. For people who've played through the campaigns multiple times with different people, did it work better once you had some knowledge of it already? I wouldn't have any trouble pretending I don't know what's going to happen and I think it would be good to be able to help her a little if she gets stuck.

3. Are there any "traps" that people fall into? For example in Magic, everyone who has ever played the game has tried to build a life gain deck. Most of us have learned that this is not good. Are there things like that in this game? I put the Elder Sign Amulet, I think it was called, in my Roland deck to boost his sanity he took 1 permanent horror in the resolution of the first game and I was worried about him only having 4 and a bulletproof vest in Wendy's deck. But even as I was putting them in, I kept thinking it was a trap. Like it would probably be better as an ally to soak the damage or just a card that helps me not take the damage to begin with. I'll probably build new decks and start over when we play next, hopefully with some newer cards and some input from people who know what they're doing.

4. Is anyone ITT near Pittsburgh? Everyone is super unreliable and I'd like to have a few people I could meet with semi-regularly for whatever.

1. Some people only like playing with cards that were available during whatever campaign they run, but there's no reason from the game. It'll tend to make things easier of course, but not so much that I've really noticed it being a problem.

2. It does definitely help if you've already ran a scenario, but the game does pretty good at keeping things random and often having multiple branches/available choices so each run may not be exactly the same. But having a gist of what's going on will give an advantage, and sometimes knowing the "gimmick" of whatever scenario you're running will make things easier as well. Of course, you're more than free to largely ignore whatever knowledge you have.

3. Being co-op, I think you have a lot more leeway in deckbuilding. One thing I would point out though is being aware of slots, and what other items compete with them. For example, survivors get leather jacket as a body slot-it's less health than the bullet proof vest, but it's also free and costs no xp. Elder amulet may end up fighting with Police Badge for guardians (which roland is). That said, because of the upgrade mechanic and the fact that you may be adapting to different things (need for different roles, trauma, weaknesses, etc) it's often good to be at least a little flexible. So getting the elder sign amulet isn't horrible, especially if you've already taken some trauma. Also, how you build your deck can vary greatly depending on who you may be in a party with or if you're running solo.

All that said, the biggest "trap" i'd say is to make sure and watch your card costs and think about what (if anything) you need to do your base role. So if you're a fighty dude, you probably want multiple weapons/ways to search so you can get running ASAP.

Also as an aside, you'll find that Arkham (or any LCG really) won't sink your money nearly as much as MtG. If you're interested in something competitive, I'd recommend AGoT, although there's lots of people who like L5R and Netrunner as well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Also as an aside, you'll find that Arkham (or any LCG really) won't sink your money nearly as much as MtG. If you're interested in something competitive, I'd recommend AGoT, although there's lots of people who like L5R and Netrunner as well.

Yeah, I don't think anything that's not Warhammer can sink money like Magic can. At least there's no foreign foils to make it 4x as expensive for absolutely no gain :v:

Edit: just mechanically unique promos! </edit>

I prefer co-op and I really like the setting of the whole Arkham series. Another big draw is that I can bring it to work and screw around with it. Try new cards or characters or whatever and actually test them in a game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

1. I believe FFG have said they expect and fully support you using newer player cards for older scenarios. It's part of the LCG experience (LOTR was the same). Return to Night of the Zealot isn't a new core set; you still need the base game, it just has a heap of new encounter cards and upgraded player cards. I'm looking forward to it as I think it's balanced for the current card pool.

2. Going in blind is the most fun you'll ever have with a new scenario but you can only do it once. I also enjoy the min-maxing experience when it comes to repeating a scenario, but they all have at least two different resolutions and there are some choices you can make which don't affect anything until multiple scenarios later. I've played through the first 6-7 Dunwich scenarios a heap of times now and even when I know what's coming and I've planned for a particular outcome I'm still surprised at how the game can turn on you when you least expect it.

3. There are a lot of rules traps for new players (eg. removing doom when an agenda advances removes it from ALL cards in play, not just the agenda card) but I can't think of anything specific with regards to mechanics. I would definitely say that most of the time it's better to have not taken damage via a card effect or ally than to use something like Bulletproof Vest which functions only as a soak and nothing else. Maybe another trap is spending too much time setting up your rig before actually starting the game. One weapon or clue-finding item plus one ally is more than enough preparation to leave the starting location.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

Yeah, when I played the first few Dunwich scenarios as Wendy I was able to evade a lot and Backstab + DoN key enemies, but the same trick didn't work well for me as Jenny and I'm trying to remember why. I think because it's too expensive to repeatedly boost with Streetwise? Wendy has +1 agi and Peter Sylvestre, making agi tests more consistent in general, I guess.

I found that Stealth is huge for single player evasion based builds before you get xp for better cards, not exhausting the enemy usually isn't a big deal and it is a pretty low investment.

suicidesteve posted:

1. I'm pretty sure this has been answered but is there any reason I can't use newer cards for older campaigns?

3. Are there any "traps" that people fall into?

1. Deck building is fun and you have a background in Magic, use everything. Adding a little at a time could be alright for people at risk of becoming overwhelmed, I suppose.

2. An advantage of playing things once solo is you'll catch any rules fuckups before they impact anyone else. I let whoever is new be the lead investigator who gets to make story decisions, so it doesn't matter if I know what happens. The highest difficulties kinda require foreknowledge if you want to do well, try expert once you need more of a challenge. The game is more than the story, luckily the solid mechanics and varied investigators means you can get a lot of replayability even if you know the resolutions.

3. Too many assets is a trap. Make sure you can afford your cards. I've seen players put down an expensive asset late game that has no way to be worth the resources before the game ends.

Most healing is a trap, you'll often be better off just putting down an ally instead. It doesn't matter if you have 10 or 1 health remaining, as long as you make it to the end of the scenario.

You usually don't want to draw a card with your last action. You might draw a weakness and really screw yourself.

Don't assume that a deck or strategy that works well solo will work with 3 or more players. You'll end up with a lot more monsters with a higher player count, usually within the second turn. If you are the party's guardian in a four player game and don't have a weapon turn one you didn't mulligan or build your deck properly.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

If your friend hasn't played Dunwich with more than a single core I'd recommend playing that again. It gives out a lot more xp which means more deckbuilding opportunities. Playing a long cycle with a trickle of xp would be horrid if you didn't know what you are doing when putting together your deck.

I also really like Midnight Masks, so any excuse to run it again is a good one.

Common wisdom is that Jenny is fine 2 player as long as the other investigators can handle early problems.

One of the strongest duos is Zoey + Rex.
My friend wants to start with Midnight Masks. I'll build him a Rex deck with the XP tally we got from The Gathering.
Hope I get different weakness for this campaign with Zoey. Indebted was not fun and crimps her Turn 1 firepower options.

2 cores plus full Dunwich cycle is a lot of cards, and Return to Night of the Zealot seems like a no-brainer. Do Carcosa or Forgotten Age have any must-use features or variations while I try to shepherd us through what I have already? My plan is to solo (two entirely different investigators) two scenarios ahead so I can make sure we don't cock up the Acts and Agendas while I Gríma him into taking the dramatic risks.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

My friend wants to start with Midnight Masks. I'll build him a Rex deck with the XP tally we got from The Gathering.
Hope I get different weakness for this campaign with Zoey. Indebted was not fun and crimps her Turn 1 firepower options.

2 cores plus full Dunwich cycle is a lot of cards, and Return to Night of the Zealot seems like a no-brainer. Do Carcosa or Forgotten Age have any must-use features or variations while I try to shepherd us through what I have already? My plan is to solo (two entirely different investigators) two scenarios ahead so I can make sure we don't cock up the Acts and Agendas while I Gríma him into taking the dramatic risks.

Some of my favorite cards in Carcosa for Guardians and Seekers:

https://arkhamdb.com/card/03264
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03023
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03232
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03231
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03315

And the card that potentially turns a Strange Solution wielding Rex into one scary boss killing adrenaline junky:
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03155

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You mostly want Carcosa because other than the third scenario it is really good and a fun challenge.

I'm not sure if it is possible to lose the third scenario though. It is painfully easy.

Not that you need to rush out to get it or anything.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KPC_Mammon posted:

You mostly want Carcosa because other than the third scenario it is really good and a fun challenge.

I'm not sure if it is possible to lose the third scenario though. It is painfully easy.

Not that you need to rush out to get it or anything.

I got stomped by it on my solo Sefina run, then trounced it easily with a friend*. On that solo run it felt like the even more exaggerated version of a single investigator dynamic: it's smooth sailing until the moment you stumble and lose tempo and suddenly things begin to go sour really, really fast.

Interestingly, I remember the Mythos Busters podcast guys having a bit of an opposite impression, claiming the scenario gets harder the more investigators are involved, as the increased amount of encounter deck draws allow said deck to combo out.

* Admittedly, it turned out I misremembered the exact way second scenario doles out xp, so we effortlessly flew by the following few scenarios with 5 xp we shouldn't have had.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

If affordability is part of the issue with Leo, how do you feel about Leo XP1 as a late upgrade after you get Charisma?

My mind isn't really made up yet on Leo(1). I see basically 2 upsides over Leo(0):
1. 1 resource cheaper
2. Makes it possible to play Leo turn 1 without spending actions taking resources

The second of those is stronger than the first, however we've already concluded Leo is most valuable as a second ally, so unless you're Skids combining him with an Ever Vigilant this is not as relevant an upside at it seems, and even that is extremely cornercase.

So we're left with the first point, which is spending XP for economy. At that point it's fair to compare this XP value to other economy options available for XP, and that comparison doesn't make Leo(1) look so great either. That said, if you need just a bit more economy and either already included the other options or don't have the card slots for them, this is an option.

In general also, while I did point out that Leo is great as a second ally, I do also tend to think Cat Burglar is even better, for 3 reasons:
1. His ability is amazing, gives you extra options and can net you more than 1 action, especially in solo.
2. He boosts an important ability, which synergises with Lockpicks and in case of Lockpicks also with Milan. This means you can get base +4 on on those 4 shroud locations if you get the full combo.
3. In case you don't draw Milan but do draw Lockpicks, you can still get to that base 7 investigate, which is more useful than if you didn't draw Milan but did draw Leo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Cat Burglar is weird, because it boosts your agility and then has an ability that ensures you don't really have to use it.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Lichtenstein posted:

Cat Burglar is weird, because it boosts your agility and then has an ability that ensures you don't really have to use it.

Rogues could use more cards like Lockpicks that replace/supplement other skills with your Agility—maybe even a character who has this as their ability.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Some of my favorite cards in Carcosa for Guardians and Seekers:

https://arkhamdb.com/card/03264
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03023
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03232
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03231
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03315

And the card that potentially turns a Strange Solution wielding Rex into one scary boss killing adrenaline junky:
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03155
Well, dayum... Fine, Carcosa big box it is then. I have a dream to play Agnes like a nuclear scram jet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

Well, dayum... Fine, Carcosa big box it is then. I have a dream to play Agnes like a nuclear scram jet.

I forgot the obvious https://arkhamdb.com/card/03029 combined with Lightning Gun as Zoey.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ok well, I opened all my Carcosa packs, started from scratch, and built decks with people that seemed like they'd be fun and maybe work together.

Keep in mind that
1. I have no idea what I'm doing.

2. I only have 1 base set and all the Carcosa packs. I'll get the rest soon enough but I just bought Mansions of Madness, Pandemic Legacy 2 and I'm about to give Kickstarter $150 for a game I already own but this version has fancy coins and plastic dinosaurs. So for the next week or 2 I've got what I've got.

3. I picked the weaknesses that seemed thematically appropriate for the characters. :dealwithit:

Bill Yorick probably needs to ne better at dealing with monsters just from looking at the deck again. I think I should have made a Mark Harrigan deck, but I like William in the other games and making a mono-blue deck with the very few tactics I have with my current pool seemed pretty difficult.
I'll probably take the clue-finding cards out to start.

Daisy is the clue finder. Getting a 2nd Research Librarian seems pretty essential. I can't tell if Astral Travel is good or not. It seems like it could be good for finding clues but I can also see it going horribly wrong in any number of ways. She seems like she loses the most from not having a 2nd core set. Mind Over Matter, Research Librarian, Scrying, Shrivelling, and Old Book of Lore all seems like things I'd really want multiples of.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 18, 2018

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

KPC_Mammon posted:

You usually don't want to draw a card with your last action. You might draw a weakness and really screw yourself.

Can you expand on this? Why are you more screwed drawing a weakness at the end of your turn than any other time? Are there many weaknesses that make enemy attacks worse?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Bill Yorick probably needs to ne better at dealing with monsters just from looking at the deck again. I think I should have made a Mark Harrigan deck, but I like William in the other games and making a mono-blue deck with the very few tactics I have with my current pool seemed pretty difficult.
I'll probably take the clue-finding cards out to start.

Daisy is the clue finder. Getting a 2nd Research Librarian seems pretty essential. I can't tell if Astral Travel is good or not. It seems like it could be good for finding clues but I can also see it going horribly wrong in any number of ways. She seems like she loses the most from not having a 2nd core set. Mind Over Matter, Research Librarian, Scrying, Shrivelling, and Old Book of Lore all seems like things I'd really want multiples of.

You posted the same deck twice fwiw.

Daisy seems ok, but you really want Dr. Milan Christopher over renfield. I also don't like Eureka all that much, but I could see it going either way. I'm not a big fan of Glyphs, and I don't know if you really need flashlights with Daisy as she's pretty solid on her own. Torrent of Power is also kinda meh on her, you'll want all your charges especially on workhorses like shrivelling.

Eggnogium posted:

Can you expand on this? Why are you more screwed drawing a weakness at the end of your turn than any other time? Are there many weaknesses that make enemy attacks worse?
It's not necessarily that, it's just the fact that you don't have time to react to it in case it is something that would require some mitigating action.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 18, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

alansmithee posted:

You posted the same deck twice fwiw.

Daisy seems ok, but you really want Dr. Milan Christopher over renfield. I also don't like Eureka all that much, but I could see it going either way. I'm not a big fan of Glyphs, and I don't know if you really need flashlights with Daisy as she's pretty solid on her own. Torrent of Power is also kinda meh on her, you'll want all your charges especially on workhorses like shrivelling.

It's not necessarily that, it's just the fact that you don't have time to react to it in case it is something that would require some mitigating action.

Thanks! I'll look at my options more later tonight and make some updates.

Not sure how I screwed the links up but it's fixed now.

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/140075

Eureka was definitely filler until I got more of the duplicates I wanted. I figured if I didn't have access to 2 copies of them, I'd at least try to make sure I could find them. A chunk of the deck is devoted to digging for that reason. What makes Milan better than Renfield? They seem like they're almost the same card except Renfield is cheaper and can sometimes give you extra clues. I'm assuming it has to do with the doom counters but tbh I wasn't entirely sure how they affected the game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

It depends on your weakness but a lot of them have negative effects at the end of your turn but can be mitigated. Usually you'll draw them after the monster phase so you'll have an entire turn to react to them but if your last action is drawing a weakness you can run into some trouble.

Not all weaknesses have this problem, but if any of these apply you might not want to draw a card with your final action:
Agnes's Dark Memory means 2 unavoidable horrror
Yorrick's Graveyard Ghouls get a free 1 damage and horror attack
Chronophobia gives 1 direct horror
Internal Injury gives 1 direct damage
Overzealous draws 2 encounter cards, which could mean face tanking two monsters with no way to react
Silver Twilight Acolyte will do 1 damage and add a doom, practically robbing your entire team of a turn
Stubborn Detective also deals 1 damage.

Silver Twilight Acolyte, Overzealous, and Dark Memory are probably the worst of the bunch.

For weaknesses like Jenny's you'll want to weigh whether card draw is worth the risk of drawing finding Izzy once you've reached late game if it hasn't come up yet and you are running short on time. Sometimes you are better off failing a check against rotting remains instead of pitching your guts to reduce the damage if it lowers your chance of drawing a weakness that'll result in mental trauma.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

KPC_Mammon posted:

drawing finding Izzy once you've reached late game if it hasn't come up yet and you are running short on time.

Absolutely the loving worst. Happens every drat scenario.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Silver Twilight Acolyte is lowkey one of the most dangerous enemies in the game.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I'm not a big fan of Glyphs

How come? It super awesome with Higher Education, and Daisy can use Book of Shadows to refill it if needed.

Imo, Glyphs is one of the reasons why I think Daisy has dethroned Rex as the number one Seeker. On mutiple occations in our Carcosa campaign has Glyphs cleared 6+ clues (one time 9 clues in a single action), leading to more XP and faster progress in scenarios. As for Daisy herself, she brings so much more team utility than Rex, with Encyclopedia and Old Book of Lore.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

Absolutely the loving worst. Happens every drat scenario.

With all the milling in Dunwich I was able to avoid it a lot, and there were a couple of sweet runs through The Essex County Express where I was able to place it on a location which got sucked up into the void, discarding it.

It's interesting that Jenny's weakness (and Zoey's and Roland's) do nothing if you're playing standalone. Looking at every investigator weakness, they all seem to have wildly varying opportunity costs while most of the basic weaknesses are pretty much just 'lose three actions.' I think this shows they're designed for thematic impact first and foremost without much consideration for comparative balance, which is good because it further distinguishes each investigator so that even within the same class you get more varied play experiences.

Also I found out yet another rule I wasn't aware of : weaknesses are treacheries, which is an encounter deck card type, so any investigator on your space can actually use the action on your weakness to get rid of it (if it's one which allows for that). Discussion here.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zerf posted:

How come? It super awesome with Higher Education, and Daisy can use Book of Shadows to refill it if needed.

Imo, Glyphs is one of the reasons why I think Daisy has dethroned Rex as the number one Seeker. On mutiple occations in our Carcosa campaign has Glyphs cleared 6+ clues (one time 9 clues in a single action), leading to more XP and faster progress in scenarios. As for Daisy herself, she brings so much more team utility than Rex, with Encyclopedia and Old Book of Lore.

I really like the evasion glyph in single player. Using a better stat, evading an enemy, and picking up a clue for a single action is amazing.

It also triggering Dr. Milan means Daisy might be the best evasion based solo character.

The other glyph is fantastic though. Its usefulness scales extremely well with the number of players.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

If it turns out Finn Edwards can’t carry the 1903 Springfield, I’m gonna cry.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

If it turns out Finn Edwards can’t carry the 1903 Springfield, I’m gonna cry.

I think you'd better prepare a good supply of napkins...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Zerf posted:

I think you'd better prepare a good supply of napkins...

If he can’t, I will go through a lot of tissues.
But if he CAN... I will ALSO need a lot of tissues!*

Dammit, I just want the rifle to stop being dead card! Maybe if Leo can use a couple Stray Cats or something?

Still not as bad as Blackjack though. What the hell was that about, Matt?

*see, because MASTURBATING lol

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

Still not as bad as Blackjack though. What the hell was that about, Matt?

The purpose of the blackjack, as far as I can tell, is to remind players that misses deal damage to other investigators engaged with the target.

Kinda like how the trench knife exists to remind players that engaging monsters provokes attacks of opportunity. That is one I've screwed up a couple of times in the past but not since that card came out.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

Dammit, I just want the rifle to stop being dead card! Maybe if Leo can use a couple Stray Cats or something?

I think we have to accept that it's an unnecessary card at this point. There could have been a number of tweaks that would've made it playable or semi-playable, like:

* 4r->3r to play it, making it a cheap option compared to higher XP alternatives
* 4XP->3XP, making it a cheap XP option(with added restrictions) compared to Shotgun/Lightning Gun. Also, available for characters with access to Guardian(3) cards.
* Working against "aloof" enemies
* Adding a "Rifle" keyword, so it can interact with other cards, like a possible "Scope" card.

We'll see if we'll ever get a Guardian able to Evade, but right now I see really no reason to run this instead of Shotgun/Lightning Gun. Also, we'll probably see more high-end Guardian weapons soon, so it will probably get even stiffer competition.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Kinda like how the trench knife exists to remind players that engaging monsters provokes attacks of opportunity. That is one I've screwed up a couple of times in the past but not since that card came out.

I kinda like the idea of (preferable with a new keyword) some enemies being counted as two. In that case, we would see the value of Machete fall a bit and other cards at least have some chance of providing an alternative.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Machete's stock would fall if anyone remembered it's bonus doesn't work when hacking a monster engaged with your seeker friend.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Thanks! I'll look at my options more later tonight and make some updates.

Not sure how I screwed the links up but it's fixed now.

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/140075

Eureka was definitely filler until I got more of the duplicates I wanted. I figured if I didn't have access to 2 copies of them, I'd at least try to make sure I could find them. A chunk of the deck is devoted to digging for that reason. What makes Milan better than Renfield? They seem like they're almost the same card except Renfield is cheaper and can sometimes give you extra clues. I'm assuming it has to do with the doom counters but tbh I wasn't entirely sure how they affected the game.

Unexpected Courage I think is something you could look at for both of your decks. Being able to get +2 to any skill test can be very valuable.

As for Milan over Renfield, Milan gives an arguably more important stat for what Daisy should be doing, and is a much better econ engine. Also doom basically is the clock you're fighting against. Renfield really won't work unless you're running a bunch of other doom management stuff.

I like Yorick, although I may look at cutting the flashlights. Also Cherished Keepsake is really good. I'd probably run Leather Jacket over Stray Cat. And Peter's good, but I think with Yorrick the Keepsake generally fills the gap better. Scavenging is kinda meh with him because you'll rarely be investigating, and when you do you're extremely rarely gonna be getting 2 over on your tests to trigger it. It's a powerful card, just not for him so much.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zerf posted:

I think for Daisy Rite of Seeking is generally better, being that there's no need to unlock it and it doesn't cost xp (which for Daisy I'd typically have other priorities). Glyphs isn't horrible, but being that it's 4xp per, it's just generally a lower priority for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I think for Daisy Rite of Seeking is generally better, being that there's no need to unlock it and it doesn't cost xp (which for Daisy I'd typically have other priorities). Glyphs isn't horrible, but being that it's 4xp per, it's just generally a lower priority for me.

Rite of Seeking better? But but but, that's 4 resources to make tests at skill 3 instead of native tests at 5, plus the action cost playing the card. That's like a net gain of two actions which can fetch double clues for 6 resources (including the Higher Education pump). You can't even combo it with other Seeker cards like Deduction, since you use willpower to test and not intellect. I can understand that you don't want spend XP on glyphs, but I don't see how Rite of Seeking in Daisy is a good option, like, at all...