Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amara posted:

I'm really curious if anyone remembers what the pledge counter was at before the cancer announcement. I'll admit that's when I also started pledging, but since then it's been pretty cool to watch it steadily tick up. What was it at before?

Around 1,800ish, I think. Maybe 1,600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Interesting fact: after the portal collar is broken, Jed starts dropping G’s.

EDIT: Okay, looking back, he does do that sometimes, so it's not a speech pattern change.

Meanwhile, Stanley is honestly way more chill about losing the entire treasury than I would have expected. Thanks, Jed!

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 14, 2018

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
With the portal collars all broken, does that mean everyone can go to magic kingdom?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don’t think Big Think is breaking all of them, only the one for Jetstone, in accordance with the promise they made to Wanda.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'll q
Meanwhile, Stanley is honestly way more chill about losing the entire treasury than I would have expected. Thanks, Jed!

Well, the last time he lost his entire treasury, the turn ended with him being richer than ever before. So I can see him cutting Parson a little bit of slack there, as long as Parson fixes it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stanley's seen so much weird poo poo he just kinda rolls with it now.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I generally got the feeling from all the way back in book 1 that Stanley, because of his background, is actually more comfortable being in waaaaaaaaay over his head than just being in it over his head.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing is that Stanley hates it if he feels like he can't cope with ordinary problems, because ordinary problems are his problem. If it's a magical problem or a ridiculous, impossible, completely insoluble problem, well, he's got people specifically to deal with that.

In other news, I was reading back to when Janis stuck the Arkenpliers in her Stash and snuck past the Dirtamansion's heightened security, including "master-class Lookamancy," which was good enough to make Janis sweat her deception.

But ha, ha, they sent Roger, who only pretends to have master-class Lookamancy and is actually a novice. Of course he didn't spot anything.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

But ha, ha, they sent Roger, who only pretends to have master-class Lookamancy and is actually a novice. Of course he didn't spot anything.

lmao that's a great detail

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Are the Great Minds a jab at MENSA? Or just Dunning-Kruger'd out the rear end?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are the Great Minds a jab at MENSA? Or just Dunning-Kruger'd out the rear end?

It's hard to say. They obviously DO have a lot of power that the other casters don't know about given the Collide-A-Scope and some of the other things we've seen, but we haven't had an in-depth look at the ruling councils for the other schools, either. I'd bet just about every type of magic has some sort of super secret hidden powers like the Great Minds.

Except Hat Magicians.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Phenotype posted:

Except Hat Magicians.

Hat magicians can summon Bun Bun, that's pretty drat scary. :ohdear:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Phenotype posted:

Except Hat Magicians.

The minute Balder thinks of a good Hat Magic pun that he can build towards, we'll learn that Hat magic depends upon one of the previously unknown primal forces of Erf and that only Master Hatters know how things really work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hat magicians will be able to pull out new cosmic powers out of their hat if and when the plot requires it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not lying when I say I really want a Cubbins monologue where he talks about how Hat Magic is the sole basis of reality and also about how much he wants to kiss Ace Hardware.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not lying when I say I really want a Cubbins monologue where he talks about how Hat Magic is the sole basis of reality and also about how much he wants to kiss Ace Hardware.

I mean, precisely the kind of parody this comic does need is some gentle self-parody. It would help balance the high drama wrapped in puns.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

nimby posted:

The minute Balder thinks of a good Hat Magic pun that he can build towards, we'll learn that Hat magic depends upon one of the previously unknown primal forces of Erf and that only Master Hatters know how things really work.

Ahem.

*Mad* Hatters.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Taerkar posted:

Ahem.

*Mad* Hatters.

MAD Hatters. The ultimate in deterrence.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Geocities Homepage King posted:

MAD Hatters. The ultimate in deterrence.

Mutually Assured Delivery.

They'll mailbomb you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Meanwhile, in the Magic Kingdom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kMdNkAcQx8

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I had no idea wtf happened this update.

Well except for the "bookit!" Part.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Big Think is thinking some crazy thoughts about how they would really like to be rid of Wanda forever, but under the circumstances they probably need her because it's pretty much "the Arkenpliers" or nothing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Donkringel posted:

I had no idea wtf happened this update.

Well except for the "bookit!" Part.

Big Think has gone through GK's portal (via the shards created when he busted the collar) while veiled. In GK's portal room, there's a barred door blocking the portal, so Big Think made it invisible and then created an illusory door in its place (using Foolamancy) so that he could open the door and walk through without anyone noticing. Meanwhile, it's thinking in rhymes about how dumb and inferior the Issac doll is, and how it doesn't really want to be Decrypted but is more scared of dying than of potentially being Wanda's slave.

While Big Think is musing to itself and sneaking up on Parson and gang, the Dirtamancers have dug down to the bedrock level using scrolls provided by Charlie and dropped in right next to Ivan, who's hurriedly erecting defenses. Ivan is also standing right on top of the portal shards created when the Dirtamancers accidentally broke the collar on the portal they were digging next to. Also, that portal is Faq's portal, and the reason they dug there was because a Predictamancer told them that Wanda would attempt to go through Faq's portal and that Buck would stop her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not the only one who's long lost track of the rules-lawyering magical warfare side of things, though enjoying the drama.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Someone in the comments pointed out that over like a third of erfworld has been this one long turn. Looking forward to new a new turn, juice, and combat.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I need to catch up on this comic again at some point. Has Parson won any more battles by thinking strategically and exploiting the clearly laid out rules of the setting yet?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zoe posted:

I need to catch up on this comic again at some point. Has Parson won any more battles by thinking strategically and exploiting the clearly laid out rules of the setting yet?

hahahahahahahahahaha

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think people underestimate just how boring Erfworld: the hyper-rational board game would be.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

I think people underestimate just how boring Erfworld: the hyper-rational board game would be.

Sure but nobody's actually asking for that. The first book had plenty of emotional and character-driven mistakes and crises, as did the fall of Spacerock or wherever the Jetstone capital was. Both of them had one big weird spell thing that reshaped the narrative. Neither involved page after page of casters elaborately explaining then breaking new rules until I feel like Parson hasn't mattered for years.

I just want enough of a known tactical space that new crises feel like they follow more from Parson's decisions than elaborate magical hacks except for the occasional out of context problem or miracle for drama.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Parson's bat hack was pretty good and I'm sure he's very sad that it ruined everything for reasons beyond his control.

Parson prompting Jack to solve the problem of his turning to Charlescomm also probably counts, although it maybe isn't exactly "strategic."

I have to admit I would like to get back to the regular passage of time again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zoe posted:

He keeps trying to, and then everyone else rewrites the rules over and over to the point where he basically loses all agency and is just tossed around helplessly as a pawn of greater powers whose plans he's not even aware of. Right now, he's unable to do anything, and everyone who's participated in all of his previous tricks is out of juice or otherwise incapacitated, so all he can do tell other people to hurry up and use a bunch of tricks that were set up without his involvement or even his knowledge. Parson's hardly done anything in a hundred pages or more, except successfully convince Caesar not to murder him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

He keeps trying to, and then everyone else rewrites the rules over and over to the point where he basically loses all agency and is just tossed around helplessly as a pawn of greater powers whose plans he's not even aware of. Right now, he's unable to do anything, and everyone who's participated in all of his previous tricks is out of juice or otherwise incapacitated, so all he can do tell other people to hurry up and use a bunch of tricks that were set up without his involvement or even his knowledge. Parson's hardly done anything in a hundred pages or more, except successfully convince Caesar not to murder him.

I mean, that was honestly a pretty decent accomplishment as it went, albeit Maggie helped a lot.

(Note that a lot of that was due to Bunny, which was due to her trusting Maggie, which was because Bunny found out that Parson had come up with a completely functional trick for escaping and killing everybody in Transylvito and then decided not to use it and was straight with them instead.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, that was honestly a pretty decent accomplishment as it went, albeit Maggie helped a lot.

(Note that a lot of that was due to Bunny, which was due to her trusting Maggie, which was because Bunny found out that Parson had come up with a completely functional trick for escaping and killing everybody in Transylvito and then decided not to use it and was straight with them instead.)

You're right, that was the last time I was fully engaged in the plot of Erfworld rather than sort of curious. That and the Transylvito betrayal of the new FAQ heir, that was a nice bit of character drama. Where is that kid, anyways? Does he matter anymore?

It's distressing how long ago that was.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Where is that kid, anyways? Does he matter anymore?

As far as I know, he's still standing right outside Faq's old capital, moveless, while Vinnie and the rest of the Transylvito forces conquer literally the entire kingdom in one turn.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
There are a lot of meaty plot threads that I want to see what happens next.

And thanks for the explanation of the DeIsaac.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah we knew this was coming, the question becomes what happens regarding the pliers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I could use some kind of Cliff's notes on the magic kingdom magic war weirdness.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think I could use some kind of Cliff's notes on the magic kingdom magic war weirdness.

As in the battle from Book 3 or?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Onmi posted:

As in the battle from Book 3 or?

Dial it back a bit further assuming I skimmed a lot of Book 2 and I'm also basically Stanley after a few rums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dial it back a bit further assuming I skimmed a lot of Book 2 and I'm also basically Stanley after a few rums.

The nerdy brain dudes want to kill Snoopy's buddy, The clowns are against them and are tricking the rockers into their side. At the end of The Spacerock Opera Lilith got kidnapped by Charlie Brown.

Lilith woke up due to Wanda playing some strings, and killed her way through the Trump Tower, but it turns out they had a treaty with the Gobbo's which cost Stanley all his moolah.

So. In trade to not lose everything, Parson gives himself to Charlie.

Jack Magic's Parson as he's going to Charlescomm to be in Gobwin Knob Regalia.

Charlie's Archon's shoot Parson with Real Guns. This gives Gobwin Knob their treasury back and then some.

Charlie doesn't want to let Parson getaway, turns out he hosed his portal so normal units can go through it.

Archon's come through invisible with guns. They do the can can dance while fighting invisible Archons.

Carnie's convince Casters "This means Gobwin Knob is attacking us!"

Gobwin Knob gets magically anal reamed.

Results: Parson, Maggie and Jack wind up with the Greasers. Charlie's tower is broken. Wanda is prisoner in MK, Lotta dead folks.

Now Wanda's Bedrock standing in front of a Portal to the City of Gobwin Knob, which Jillian now owns.