Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Running around the Mojave with a dozen guys all trying to quip at the same time sounds like the last circle of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Where's my alternate start mod that lets me play as ED-E?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Running around the Mojave with a dozen guys all trying to quip at the same time sounds like the last circle of hell.

It's actually not a problem! Not everyone quips every single time they're at a location (I think the game or the mod may have something to keep their ambient dialogue from trigger over one another?), so it's more that you keep getting dialogue from a different person every time and you get all of the location and quest-specific conversations for each character's loyalty quest instead of needing to juggle people back and forth. It makes it feel more like a tabletop RPG adventuring party.

I wish the Willow companion was less creepy and fetishistic because she can engage other human companions in ambient dialogue constructed from their existing voice clips.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I did an unlimited companions run and it honestly just breaks everything combat-wise. I was running around with Lily, Rex, two ED-Es and like 4 human companions at one point. It's also an enormous hassle in any confined space, unsurprisingly.

Really funny watching normally "tense" combat situations just dissolve in a hail of gunfire and lasers though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Makes you wish for Lake Cocytus?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

I did an unlimited companions run and it honestly just breaks everything combat-wise. I was running around with Lily, Rex, two ED-Es and like 4 human companions at one point. It's also an enormous hassle in any confined space, unsurprisingly.

Really funny watching normally "tense" combat situations just dissolve in a hail of gunfire and lasers though.

I used to have the same issue, but I started using mods that also made combat a lot more difficult and both your side and the other side a lot more squishy (so you could take out unarmored humans and any animal smaller than a yao guai with one headshot, but robots are tougher and you can potentially be one-shotted without power armor). It started being more common for my companions to get knocked out, since even though they were Essential they could be taken out of commission for the rest of the fight, and I went through a lot of stimpacks and doctor's bags trying to stay alive in gunfights with Fiends until I could get my first power armor.

Dead Money was especially hard because even though I could bring the companions along, none of the armor available was really durable enough to protect from thrown spears or gas bombs. I got really twitchy with the quick save because of how many times I took a spear to the face around a corner and suddenly dropped to 2% HP.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Do any of the rebalance mods like Project Nevada have a "number of companions" changer or would I need a standalone mod like this? I've used a standalone mod before and it worked fine, but anything to reduce the load order and all that

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be fair even just EDE early on makes combat way easier, dudes a sharpshooter in an adverbot's body

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Didn't expect to trigger that much of a discussion haha

Changed Boone mostly because I am not strictly going with the NCR, besides ED-E and I got the long range murdering covered. Also I think he doesn't have insane criticals because the unofficial patch fixes those?

I suspect he is going to become much more relevant once I start hitting Legion spots because hooooooooly poo poo gently caress those guys

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh yeah, one thing about Boone is that the Legion is automatically hostile when you're with him. As far as I recall no other companions have anything like that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Do any of the rebalance mods like Project Nevada have a "number of companions" changer or would I need a standalone mod like this? I've used a standalone mod before and it worked fine, but anything to reduce the load order and all that

I believe you need a standalone mod no matter what rebalancer you're using. You also need a separate mod to bring companions with you to DLC, and I believe another one to let you have multiple DLC companions (like in Dead Money you can have Christine, God/Dog, or Dean follow you and the rest of the companions you bring from the vanilla game, but can't bring Christine, God/Dog, and Dean all at once anywhere). Presumably a mod that lets you bring DLC companions out into the main Mojave worldspace will work with the regular unlimited companions mod just fine, though I haven't tried that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my main bitch with trying to replay FO 1/2 is how Agility is such a god stat and my inner min-max desires won't let me play a suboptimal character. i'll come up with a cool character concept but then i hit the "MAX AGILITY = MAX AP" hurdle and fall down every time.

is agility really as important as i remember it being? i know it directly correlates to your AP which basically dictates how effective you are in combat, but is having say 6 AP that much worse than having 10? i feel like i'd give it another run but always playing a high agility hero limits where you can spend your other points.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

(if you are playing concept characters just cheat max agi, seriously. Get the minmaxing out of the way and go straight to the fun)

welp, got to Freeside and whoa my questlog is bursting in a 15 min roundup, and there is the stuff from camp mccarran as well :buddy:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Speaking of companions, I recently ran across this absurd meme mod that I'm 100% going to use the next time i play New Vegas:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/63823

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giga Gaia posted:

Speaking of companions, I recently ran across this absurd meme mod that I'm 100% going to use the next time i play New Vegas:

poo poo, I'm gonna install that and I barely use companions. :randstare: Just gonna leave him hanging around Goodsprings.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"I might make a lore friendly version."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sirbeefalot posted:

I did an unlimited companions run with max charisma, it was incredible. I took everybody out at the same time and we all became a conga line of death and destruction.

I've been trying to come up with a way to turn this into a challenge run, a sort of semi-pacifist play-through where you mostly rely on your bodyguards to keep you safe. It would involve max charisma and intelligence and ones in everything else, and probably dying a lot at low levels before becoming god-like after recruiting a full squad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm legitimately shocked that New Vegas doesn't collapse on itself when its forced to track multiple companions at once, let alone 10 of them.

Giga Gaia posted:

My favorite joke mod I saw for NV added a talking Deathclaw drug dealer named Methclaw, which is a god-tier pun.

Plus the idea of one of those intelligent deathclaws escaping and eking out a living as a backalley chemist amuses me.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am really digging the responsiveness to the different types of character the game has, I am already sketching different sorts of wacky playthroughs to find out how they go :buddy:

and I just learned that low-intelligence is acknowledged in F:NV, hahahaha gold-hearted lucky bruiser here I come

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Neurolimal posted:

There should have been an achievement for having the dog gun equipped, while wearing Vulpes' hat, with Rex as your companion.

At night.

Three Dog Moon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Boone owns because he will happily murder one of the Legion hit-squad members as they spawn, throw in ED-E and you can have hit squads immediately turned into a two man squad before you even see where they're coming from.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

kind of surprised/disappointed that none of the bethsoft fallouts have let you play as or become a ghoul or super mutant. the elder scrolls games all let you turn into various types of vampire or werewolf so it sucks you can't be the fallout equivalent.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

FNV troubleshooting question: after I got to New Vegas, my saves are getting corrupted with a very high frequency and I have no idea what might be causing it until it is too late (I can keep on playing but then I try to load my last save and it is two or three autosaves behind that is the last functional one). Any tips to mitigate that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Casm and purge cell buffers, maybe? Do you have the usual suite of stability mods installed?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

CASM has been saving my rear end here, yeah. I have NVAC, NVSR with the recent .ini specs, better game performance and YUP. As for purge cell buffers, better to use the mod or to do it manually?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

juggalo baby coffin posted:

kind of surprised/disappointed that none of the bethsoft fallouts have let you play as or become a ghoul or super mutant. the elder scrolls games all let you turn into various types of vampire or werewolf so it sucks you can't be the fallout equivalent.

You were supposed to be able to play as both in new vegas, but it got cut for time/space.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dead comedy forums posted:

CASM has been saving my rear end here, yeah. I have NVAC, NVSR with the recent .ini specs, better game performance and YUP. As for purge cell buffers, better to use the mod or to do it manually?

You can do it yourself but I prefer the mod as it has MCM compatibility and lets you choose how often it happens without accidentally screwing up doing it manually.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You were supposed to be able to play as both in new vegas, but it got cut for time/space.

fuuuuuuuuuck

theres not even a mod to play as either in fallout 4 which sucks rear end.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I would say that talking about this as a "cut" is a mischaracterization. It was an initial, ambitious plan, that as far as we know never was implemented even in a very early stage, in large part because apparently making the Super Mutants playable would have been really hard and out of scope for the project.

Dunno why they cut ghouls out though, I suspect reactivity.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo :randpop:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can get Benny crucified? I never saw that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

You can get Benny crucified? I never saw that.

Yeah, if he escapes the Strip with the chip he ends up at Caesar's camp, and when you go, you can choose to have him crucified.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Did an unarmed but ended up with 100 guns.. new vegas has too many good Gun options

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, if he escapes the Strip with the chip he ends up at Caesar's camp, and when you go, you can choose to have him crucified.

You can also opt to fight him one on one with machetes if you're into that. Or just plug him right there in the tent, Edward's cool with it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It would be cool to see a Fallout sidegame where you play an Attis figure trying to unite super mutants for X reason (perhaps you could even choose why, with that choice affecting who you can persuade and locking off certain supermutants). It would play well into Bethesda's strengths, in that you'd mainly be managing your town and venturing into an unmapped wasteland that would randomly spawn the mutant encounter setpieces.

Eventually you'd become big enough that one of the human countries (depending on your stated goal) would start an endgame war with you. Maybe even a Hard Mode choice of "gently caress every other race, mutant supremacy! They dont deserve conversion/dipping!" That would make all factions hostile to you, including ghoul and synth factions that are otherwise never hostile, and lock you out of persuading most reasonable mutant characters.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 21, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Neurolimal posted:

It would be cool to see a Fallout sidegame where you play an Attis figure trying to unite super mutants for X reason (perhaps you could even choose why, with that choice affecting who you can persuade and locking off certain supermutants). It would play well into Bethesda's strengths, in that you'd mainly be managing your town and venturing into an unmapped wasteland that would randomly spawn the mutant encounter setpieces.

Eventually you'd become big enough that one of the human countries (depending on your stated goal) would start an endgame war with you. Maybe even a Hard Mode choice of "gently caress every other race, mutant supremacy! They dont deserve conversion/dipping!" That would make all factions hostile to you, including ghoul and synth factions that are otherwise never hostile, and lock you out of persuading most reasonable mutant characters.

Mutant fallout fashion game would be bitchin' let me shoot people with giant guns and wear sick armour and be mentally damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jfc still in the dark/I could make you care is the biggest loving slog yet

all I want is to use some power armor :(