Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Maybe it's the fact that I've lived in apartments my entire adult life but I don't understand wanting to spend any amount of money on stuff that just sits there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Palpek posted:

Nevermind, this is them:

The guy's collection: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

That dude must be funny or something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Palpek posted:

Nevermind, this is them:

Jesus Christ. They’re in rows three deep! Whyyyyyyy?!

I own two, both were Christmas presents from my brother.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What the gently caress

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Palpek posted:

I own 1 funko pop, I'm so sorry.

I own 2 because they came free with something. My 3 year-old plays with them, and also the Amiibo I have, because loving hell they're toys people.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

of course he's into wrestling

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
funkopops are especially dire because they all look the fuckin same. like its lovely anime weaboo's first art class chibi notebook but people pay for it :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a lot of it is that they've become easily available, cheap and relatively acceptable toys, partly because they're easily availaible merchandise for franchises that often get little to none otherwise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They were designed specifically for adult nerds to collect them right? Because they don't look fun to play with.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

They were designed specifically for adult nerds to collect them right? Because they don't look fun to play with.

Yeah they don't have any movement to them other than bobble-headedness. I'm pretty sure my son has played with the Amiibo more. I have that set of Super Mario Odyssey wedding Amiibo and he re-enacts confrontations from the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Absolutely, yes. They also come in standard sizes and neat boxes. And some are rare. Basically Beanie Babies with marketing tie-ins.

At least Amiibos have personality and are pretty durable. (and some are pretty neat; the Mr Game and Watch Amiibo has different poses you can switch out)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Palpek posted:

Nevermind, this is them:

They are way more thin and normal looking than I was imagining.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I despise funko pops. your kunstkammer is supposed to have loving kunst.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

They’d be fat if they could budget for plastic trash and food.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically.

My wife and I have probably 10-15 of them in total, she thinks they're cute and they made some for some shows/movies we love so we accumulated them over time since we do a lot of shopping at Target. We haven't bought any in a long time because we've run out of ones we give a poo poo about. Most of them are in boxes still from when we moved and we'll probably end up only putting half of them back out. Like most things, they're harmless and fine unless you go off the deep end like that dude did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought about starting a collection of something as a sort of hobby, but everyone I know with collections are pretty weird. I think I'm weird enough without adding collections to it.

But it would be cool to have just a ton of something. Maybe I'll collect old tape measures or something. Speak endlessly about tape measures to people and bring out "special" tape measures or "famous" tape measures during parties. Have tape measure themed wall paper and a room that's totally dedicated to tape measures. Frame my favorite tape measures and put them around the house and start a blog about tape measures filled with thousands of pictures and hundreds of thousands of words about the history of each tape measure I have.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I know a guy who collects the bones of dead animals. He boils animal corpses in acid or something to get them. You should try that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

I know a guy who collects the bones of dead animals. He boils animal corpses in acid or something to get them. You should try that.

You can just boil them in normal water. If you need to degrease it that's one thing but a lot of people don't.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He could make serious cash selling those to the ABI, no squirrel bones though they don't take those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd sell them to dogs.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If you want to collect anything, don't make it a one-note collection like a retard. It has to be a Renaissance style curiosity cabinet. Preferably in a mahogany tiled room.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought about starting a collection of something as a sort of hobby, but everyone I know with collections are pretty weird. I think I'm weird enough without adding collections to it.

But it would be cool to have just a ton of something. Maybe I'll collect old tape measures or something. Speak endlessly about tape measures to people and bring out "special" tape measures or "famous" tape measures during parties. Have tape measure themed wall paper and a room that's totally dedicated to tape measures. Frame my favorite tape measures and put them around the house and start a blog about tape measures filled with thousands of pictures and hundreds of thousands of words about the history of each tape measure I have.

This would be a much more interesting collection than funko pops

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree that would be pretty cool.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Solice Kirsk posted:

How about collecting money instead of random crap?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Collections are fine when you don't let a marketing department define them for you and collect whatever. I used to know a family friend we called 'the owl lady' because she had a collection of owl-themed stuff from all over the place. I gave her a little owl Pokemon figurine I had as a kid.

Not that I'm much to talk there, but eh well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Theophany posted:

What's the point of that lol? So I can put it in a money cabinet?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

Why not both?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm [400lb] am collecting your girl [23F pillow]

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jeza posted:

What's the point of that lol? So I can put it in a money cabinet?

You can keep it in a bank and free yourself of the burden of having a cabinet full of random crap nobody wants you to bore them with in one fell swoop!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Theophany posted:

You can keep it in a bank and free yourself of the burden of having a cabinet full of random crap nobody wants you to bore them with in one fell swoop!

John Tradescant the elder NOT spotted!!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Theophany posted:

A bank is a money cabinet

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah they're not bendable or poseable. The head is on a little spring so it wobbles and my kid is constantly pulling Groot's head right off.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jeza posted:

A bank is a money cabinet

woah

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Solice Kirsk posted:

My grandpa used to collect the free wood yardsticks he'd get from hardware and feed stores. He would clean them and mount them on a pegboard. Unfortunately he never got into the internet so his hobby never had the chance to fully metastasize.

I have a small collection of old glass bottles and even that can take you down a crazy internet hole:
https://sha.org/bottle/machinemadedating.htm

Ooh look at the owens suction scar on that beverage bottle.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pick posted:

John Tradescant the elder NOT spotted!!

:perfect:

the reason nobody likes pick is you basically need a master's degree to understand their posts

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I like uranium glass but I don't exactly have a huge collection, just a few bits

They're pretty neat though, put those suckers under a blacklight and watch em glow :hellyeah:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:perfect:

the reason nobody likes pick is you basically need a master's degree to understand their posts

No, it's because of the constant low-grade trolling and self-mythologizing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh does GBS not like self mythologizing? i'll go tell 50 foot ant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh does GBS not like self mythologizing? i'll go tell 50 foot ant.

Please don't. We don't need that back on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought a Funko Pop was some kind of food or drink item, for which I can kind of understand having a continous weekly budget. I do not understand why anyone would spend any amount of money on hideous Bobbleheads-but-uglier, let alone a gallery of horrors of them.