Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My current two favorite WNs are Sword Dad and Skeleton Knight. Both notable for a lack of slaves (Correction: slaves owned by the MC) and harems but still manage to be fun as poo poo.

Any recommendations for stuff similar to these? Roleplaying adventures in alternate worlds where it's more about having fun and experiencing neat poo poo, without all the retarded 'gotta gently caress everything that moves' stuff too many other Isekais devolve into?

khy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caught up all the way with Forge of Destiny, and I don't really like the fact that she chose to stay with Cai. I think people selected that choice mostly because they like Meizhen, but I feel like there isn't much going on with Meizhen right now and it's actually kind of cruel to be around her a lot. The poor girl is basically in a no win situation where her only options are to lose her only close friend or spend a bunch of time tortured by being around the person she's in love with (who just happens to constantly do all these unintentionally romantic things, like play music for her). I can just hope she finds someone else, since she's unlikely to lose her crush as long as she's literally living in the same house as Ling Qi (though I kinda doubt that'll happen given Meizhen not being the most social of people).

The one thing I like about the Cai option is that it almost certainly means she'll get closer to Gan Guangli, and I like him. Her and Gan are, as far as I know, the only vassals she's selected at this point, so Cai's close circle is her, Ling Qi, and Gan Guangli (Meizhen is a friend and ally, but not really part of her "family"). There are definitely interesting directions this could go (Cai has a lot of potential for growth as a character, and the idea of bringing some sort of justice to the hosed up cultivation setting is interesting) and I trust the author to keep things good, but I still kinda wish she chose the option that let her spend more time with her more fun/interesting friends (or gave her the opportunity to meet new people; she's going to meet all sorts of people when she joins the Inner Sect!).

Also, Su Ling continues to be the only normal person in the cast with common sense. I liked when she mentioned that Ling Qi has been hearing a very biased perspective due to knowing so many nobles and that she's kinda been buying into their whole perspective on things, since I had been thinking about something similar. Xiulan is also fun, and it makes me sad that Ling Qi is doomed to probably grow apart from her, since I doubt she'll be making it into the Inner Sect this year (even Ling Qi is going to be cutting it close at this rate).

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

My current two favorite WNs are Sword Dad and Skeleton Knight. Both notable for a lack of slaves (Correction: slaves owned by the MC) and harems but still manage to be fun as poo poo.

Any recommendations for stuff similar to these? Roleplaying adventures in alternate worlds where it's more about having fun and experiencing neat poo poo, without all the retarded 'gotta gently caress everything that moves' stuff too many other Isekais devolve into?

Those are two of my favorites, too. As far as others like them...

I remember I'm a Dullahan, Looking for my Head being very similar in feeling to skeleton knight, but it only has a handful of chapters translated.

I Said Make My Abilities Average! also fits the criteria of isekai adventure with no slaves and no harem. It's a favorite, but it has a bit of a different feel to Swordguy and Skeleton Knight. It's still fun, though. The author's other work is okay, too.

She Professed Herself The Pupil of the Wiseman is good and captures the feel of going out on an adventure better than most WNs I've read, but it's a bit slow at times and IIRC the translation is crap.

I haven't read through all of it, but Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi has no slaves or harems, only hungry pet animals. It never really clicked with me personally, though.

Yuusha Yori Saikyona Kuro Kishi was good, but it seems to have been abandoned by the original author.

Reborn as the Hero's Daughter is one I've really enjoyed recently, but only the very beginning's been translated so far, and later on it starts referencing the author's previous work, of which the main series (Hakai Me no Yuuri) has a...problematic beginning.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear I guess. It's a bit slow and repetitive, but it's good enough that I'm still keeping up with it.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I've attempted to read I Said Make My Abilities Average before but the fan translation is quite bad, unfortunately. It seems like the sort of thing I would like. It seems like it's getting an official release though so maybe that will help?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

The Chronicles of a Lost Man in His Forties Founding a Nation ~Commonsense is Hindering Me From Becoming TUEE~ is about a guy who isekais into a literal D&D wizard. MC is in his 40s before the isekai so he looks down his nose at the notion of romance and instead focus on exploring the setting and being a hero and stuff.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cultivation chat group: i can't believe so many people are so eager to test venerable white's fantastic new invention

everyone is extremely kind

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

sunken fleet posted:

The Chronicles of a Lost Man in His Forties Founding a Nation ~Commonsense is Hindering Me From Becoming TUEE~ is about a guy who isekais into a literal D&D wizard. MC is in his 40s before the isekai so he looks down his nose at the notion of romance and instead focus on exploring the setting and being a hero and stuff.

Uh, he's totes into that mage lady.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

I haven't read through all of it, but Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi has no slaves or harems, only hungry pet animals. It never really clicked with me personally, though.

I couldn't get into the LN but the manga is amazing and I've been a fan for weeks now. Great story, but works so much better with pictures instead of text.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading through At the Northern Fort recently and it is the cutest thing ever. :3:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So apparently Fall in Love with the Villainess was still being translated. However, the quality seems to take a nosedive after the translation updates were taken down from Novelupdates. I don't know why they even bother with how poo poo the translations are.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bakanogami posted:

I've been reading through At the Northern Fort recently and it is the cutest thing ever. :3:

Yeah I'm pretty fond of it.

Prepare for one update yearly.

jwang posted:

So apparently Fall in Love with the Villainess was still being translated. However, the quality seems to take a nosedive after the translation updates were taken down from Novelupdates. I don't know why they even bother with how poo poo the translations are.

There are people out there who will, in all sincerity, look you straight in the eye and tell you that running a chapter through google translate and then giving it what I will generously describe as an "editing pass" counts as translation. And readers are not only fine with this, they actively come to prefer the "style". :sigh:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I was reading some sci-fi exploration web novel and it was actually really nice because the editor basically rewrote most of it into english novel style prose and still kept it (mostly) accurate.

I say mostly because one of the editor remarks is them commenting on their removal of egregious nationalism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think changing the content of someone else's work to fit your own tastes goes too far. at that point, just write your own dang story.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think changing the content of someone else's work to fit your own tastes goes too far. at that point, just write your own dang story.

The entire point of an editor is to improve work that needs it. Pretty sure that stuff falls in that category. Then again, it's this thread so maybe your argument is actually "lots of people want to read utter garbage so let them"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:rip: comiket

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Autonomous Monster posted:

There are people out there who will, in all sincerity, look you straight in the eye and tell you that running a chapter through google translate and then giving it what I will generously describe as an "editing pass" counts as translation. And readers are not only fine with this, they actively come to prefer the "style". :sigh:

This is garbage and I want to find some like-minded translators and start running panels at anime cons about fan translations and how we can and should do and expect better. This, of course, involves interacting in real life with the kind of people who translate web novels as a hobby and then fielding questions from angry weebs, so I’m never going to do it, but...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a difference between writing derivative works and bowdlerizing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

booksnake posted:

The entire point of an editor is to improve work that needs it. Pretty sure that stuff falls in that category. Then again, it's this thread so maybe your argument is actually "lots of people want to read utter garbage so let them"

Translators should be improving things and making it make sense, not completely rewriting them. If they would find releasing lovely awful nationalism under their name unacceptable then they should drop the project and let it die in isolation, not try to rewrite it to not have the lovely awful nationalism the author put there.

Actual editors (which they aren't) work with the author to improve the text, they don't just rewrite it themselves and send it out. Except in really lovely news organizations.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 19, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

localization is a thing

going one step further and adding your own poo poo willy nilly is how we got aladdin so

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Yeah it's sort of mysterious to me because you know even just transcribing all this stuff from one language to another has to be super time consuming. Much less going you of your way to rewrite everything into understandable prose +removing things you don't like and having to rewrite around that... With that amount of time you could totally be writing your own story. idgi

otoh I used to read The Amber Sword which apparently was heavily rewritten by the translator and the reading quality was definitely improved by having someone who cared enough and knew enough English to do a rewrite so :shrug: At the end of the day it's not like the Chinese author's intent is ever going to be really adequately reflected to the English speaking audience that they probably don't even know about, so more power to the translators that are that passionate about the project that they want to rewrite things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
removing parts you don't like is not localizing. i don't understand why this is so hard for some of you to grasp. they are completely different things!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Whatever it is I would argue it made the story better.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sure doesn't sound like we're missing much

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

removing parts you don't like is not localizing. i don't understand why this is so hard for some of you to grasp. they are completely different things!

Localization is making a story more palatable to a different audience, there is nothing saying a story has to be localized in a 1:1 way.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If youre translating these things as a hobby then I think you have every obligation to translate into English as closely to the original as possible. I want to know what the original text says, and Im sure the author doesnt appreciate thier works being changed willy nilly by some random dude on the internet.

Unless you have some sort of open line of communication with the author and can run any potential changes by them then dont change anything. Period. If the source material is going to be unpalatable to western sensibilities then just dont take the drat project on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If your translating as a hobby you can do whatever you loving want as who gives a poo poo it’s your hobby. You have an obligation to literally no one, especially entitled weebs.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

If your translating as a hobby you can do whatever you loving want as who gives a poo poo it’s your hobby. You have an obligation to literally no one, especially entitled weebs.

You absolutely have an obligation to the original author. If you just wanna make poo poo up out of whole cloth then youre being an rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

You absolutely have an obligation to the original author. If you just wanna make poo poo up out of whole cloth then youre being an rear end in a top hat.

You have an obligation to no one. If it makes you mad, don’t read it.

Though no one said anything about adding poo poo, that’s just fanfic.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have an obligation to no one. If it makes you mad, don’t read it.

Though no one said anything about adding poo poo, that’s just fanfic.

Well, adding things, cutting things, rearranging things, muting elements that might be unpalatable to different cultures. Its all the same sin. I think even the 'Norway!' jokes in the Hinamatsuri translations are a little disrespectful and thats as minor as you can get.

And I wont read it! I said as much in my previous post, if youre gonna gently caress with the text then just dont translate it at all. Thats not really a position of entitlement on my part, since it would still deprive me of a readable English text.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Well, adding things, cutting things, rearranging things, muting elements that might be unpalatable to different cultures. Its all the same sin. I think even the 'Norway!' jokes in the Hinamatsuri translations are a little disrespectful and thats as minor as you can get.

And I wont read it! I said as much in my previous post, if youre gonna gently caress with the text then just dont translate it at all. Thats not really a position of entitlement on my part, since it would still deprive me of a readable English text.

See you don’t get to decide that, I mean you already accept what I assume some random dude translating some other dudes poo poo without his Imput or compensation. So I don’t really care about your arbitrary line in the sand. If he was presenting this as the original work it would be one thing but he doesn’t.

It’s a hobby that brought him joy, so it served its purpose. Stop being so selfish.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

See you don’t get to decide that, I mean you already accept what I assume some random dude translating some other dudes poo poo without his Imput or compensation. So I don’t really care about your arbitrary line in the sand. If he was presenting this as the original work it would be one thing but he doesn’t.

It’s a hobby that brought him joy, so it served its purpose. Stop being so selfish.

Youre absolutely right I dont get to decide it, but I do get to decide that thier efforts are not up to my standards and that I dont like that particular translation effort that much. I dont know where youre getting this idea that I cannot deign to live under the same sky as a poor translator. I just think its crummy.

My line in the sand is make the words in one language say the same thing as the words in another language. And if you dont do that Im gonna look down on you a lil. Like, the stakes are really minor here because most people arent gonna care what dumb ol Meme Emulator thinks about their translation efforts.

Like, I dont even have a lot of respect for things like copyright and author ownership and the complicated legal side of things. My whole argument is just if youre gonna handle someone elses work, at least have the decency to not change it on your own whims. And if youre not gonna do that, I might say a slightly mean thing about you on an internet forum.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Desolate Era has been fully translated! It was the story that got me into web novels so I always had a soft spot for it even though it was very much a pretty generic I Eat Tomatoes work. At least it was much better than Stellar Transformations since the protagonist would sometimes actually be in danger.

RWX (the main wuxiaworld guy) says he's going to do Dragon Talisman and Godsfall Chronicles next and they're both way better, so I guess I'll check those out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Youre absolutely right I dont get to decide it, but I do get to decide that thier efforts are not up to my standards and that I dont like that particular translation effort that much. I dont know where youre getting this idea that I cannot deign to live under the same sky as a poor translator. I just think its crummy.

My line in the sand is make the words in one language say the same thing as the words in another language. And if you dont do that Im gonna look down on you a lil. Like, the stakes are really minor here because most people arent gonna care what dumb ol Meme Emulator thinks about their translation efforts.

Like, I dont even have a lot of respect for things like copyright and author ownership and the complicated legal side of things. My whole argument is just if youre gonna handle someone elses work, at least have the decency to not change it on your own whims. And if youre not gonna do that, I might say a slightly mean thing about you on an internet forum.

You are asking for a translation that isn’t really possible.

Changing languages and cultures means something is going to be lost so if you consume any foreign media you are going to lose something in translation. You have to accept that changes are gonna be made or you are just gonna drive yourself crazy looking for a pure translation that doesn’t exist.

Also you literally said he shouldn’t bother if he isn’t going to do it the way you want. Which granted is just your opinion but I am just trying to point out how self absorbed your opinion is, as you don’t seem to see any perspective but your own.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Changing languages and cultures means something is going to be lost so if you consume any foreign media you are going to lose something in translation. You have to accept that changes are gonna be made or you are just gonna drive yourself crazy looking for a pure translation that doesn’t exist.

My contention was more about removing or changing things than the intricacies of translation. Of course its a necessity to shimmy things around a little bit in order to get a conversation to flow in English. If a character is making three points: We need to travel to destination X, We need to get the MacGuffin, and women are genetically predisposed to be subservient to men, then I expect those three things to show up in the translated text no matter how nasty the third thing is.

quote:

Also you literally said he shouldn’t bother if he isn’t going to do it the way you want. Which granted is just your opinion but I am just trying to point out how self absorbed your opinion is, as you don’t seem to see any perspective but your own.

I mean, cmon, an opinion is always going to be self absorbed. If you have a problem with Chinese nationalism and the project you are working on has Chinese nationalism all throughout it your options are to edit the text or to work on something else. I just respect one of those options a lot more than the other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know you feel that way and I think it’s kind of sad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sandblast all the offensive things out of history, I guess.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I too believe that editing a fictional web novel is the same as rewriting history.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Meme Emulator posted:

You absolutely have an obligation to the original author.
:laffo:

The noble thief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

I too believe that editing a fictional web novel is the same as rewriting history.

It all began when they started removing the slave harems from web novel translations. Within a few years, all media was reviewed by the government censors.