Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ok fine, I backed the drat thing.

I am always annoyed, however, when specific cards are stretch goals. Miniatures I can understand, because they're expensive and you want to make sure you have the funding before you invest in something like that, but an action card is probably already part of the game balance of the game as designed, and withholding it has to alter the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

rydiafan posted:

I am always annoyed, however, when specific cards are stretch goals. Miniatures I can understand, because they're expensive and you want to make sure you have the funding before you invest in something like that, but an action card is probably already part of the game balance of the game as designed, and withholding it has to alter the quality.

I think that with the exception of the seraph they're all power-tweaked versions of existing cards in the main set, but yeah I see where you're coming from. Kind of moot because I really don't see him hitting any of those goals. People just want to fund it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

rydiafan posted:

That bothers me too, as well as parts of the game being locked into deluxe editions (although they're more often than not just expansions). I do like the look and theme of this though, so I might give it some money.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

It funded by the way. Kudos to goons who pledged in.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 13, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m still on the fence, that non-US shipping is insane.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It is, that's been the most consistent complaint to him.

Also note (since he only mentioned this in a backer update) there's no pledge manager planned, so no increasing your tier after the deadline. Like I said, not the most well managed campaign.

Henker
May 5, 2009

LordAba posted:

On crappy kickstarter news, Super Dungeon Explore is still a gently caress up and like... 1.5 years late with no sign of going to factory. Who knew that the people who helped out with Robotech would mess something up?
Last update was basically "we are giving up trying to give out any schedule information cause we have no idea what is going on" and then one of the heads of the company gave an interview stating something about never using kickstarter again because it is toxic. Hmm.

Isn't this the same company that made a press release like a month back about how they were no longer going to use Kickstarter because of the "toxic community"? I.E, "We don't like being called out on our terrible business management".

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Leraika posted:

Yeah, that's my issue with it too.

I backed it and asked.

inklesspen on KS posted:

How does Journey Away compare to games like Ryuutama (http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/) or perhaps the traveling mechanics from The One Ring (http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/). Your FAQ about your credentials talks about Pathfinder, but there are a lot of other games out there that exist in a similar "exploring the unknown" space, some of which include a de-emphasis on combat.

Journey Away on KS posted:

Thematically, there is some similarity between Journey Away and Ryuutama. Even so, Ryuutama's mechanics still follow the traditional model of a series of obstacles and using your stats/dice to see whether or not your attempts to overcome those obstacles succeed. Journey Away doesn't just de-emphasize combat, it's actually designed to do something different than determine the success or failure of your actions. While Ryuutama was designed to be a softer, lighter version of D&D, Journey Away is a fundamentally different experience; more of a joint storytelling framework than a game of challenge and probabilities.

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with The One Ring's traveling mechanics, so I couldn't comment on that, but hopefully the comparison to Ryuutama is helpful.

I don't think he understands very much about D&D, Ryuutama, or elfgaming in general.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I was interested until $50 US to shop to Australia.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Welp, that's disappointing; I think I'll just stick with Ryuutama for this sort of thing, thanks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

inklesspen posted:

I don't think he understands very much about D&D, Ryuutama, or elfgaming in general.

He's trying to say "It's a narrative game." But he apparently doesn't know game design jargon.

Edit: Like this is pure outsider art. He probably doesn't even know that narrative games exist, but then he tried to make one.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 14, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's really beautiful in a way. A heartmender?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Howdy folk! The Kickstarter for my game, Dead in the West, has entered it's final 48 hours! It has currently achieved 66% of its goal, but in the last hour alone has made $250 so I honestly don't know what to expect in terms of success. If you haven't yet, please do check it out and see if you think it looks cool!

I'm doing a Q&A with Nerdarchy at 12pm Eastern today too, so feel free to stop on by and ask me something personally. Thanks so much to all the goons that have supported the project (and it's been quite a few)!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody want a $400 box of miniatures?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Not really.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

This feels like a significant amount of pledging middleground is being missed. There's also fuckall detail on what models you're getting and what they're like aside from the fact there's 178!!!!! of them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Thousands of people obviously do based on their first day (days?) being over 1k backers already.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have thoughts on Small Star Empires? The base game seems maybe a bit too light for my tastes, but the expansions seem to layer on some more interesting complexity that could make it a decent lightweight 4x.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Small Star Empires? The base game seems maybe a bit too light for my tastes, but the expansions seem to layer on some more interesting complexity that could make it a decent lightweight 4x.

It looks a lot like some of the dry-er board games from the 80s that kept me away. "Ooh, space board game!" <sees innumerable hexagons and tiny cardboard chits> "Maybe not."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

For about that much with shipping you can get all of the Harry Potter miniatures game that was almost kickstarted. I'm noticing a trend in these "prestige" miniature game kickstarters, although this one will be sold in stores.

I'm really interested in how the quality will be for that price and in plastic. I'm expecting Bones level minis at that rate. The original Confrontation miniatures were pretty much solid metal and had static poses. These ones don't look too different, just in plastic. I had one of the werewolves that I picked up at my FLGS for a Werewolf game in high school and it was definitely on par with generic Reaper stuff circa 14-15 years ago.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The only thing I ever hear about Confrontation is that its studio paint jobs popularized non-metallic metal painting. Is the game actually supposed to be good? Not that there's any way I'm backing this regardless...

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
So here's someone's fantasy heartbreaker. At least it looks more polished than the usual ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Things I've seen:

Crypt A nice little $9/£6 game of cards, dice, treasure and whatnot. Falls right into 'at this price, I can't go wrong' category. There's apparently been some flap about a Gilded Edition added later in the run, but the comments are a mess to read.

Unbroken A solo game that looks like Dark Souls with personal accounting mixed together. Might be fun.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are a bunch of playthroughs of Unbroken on youtube, it looks pretty nice and only a bit frustrating.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For anyone interested, the expansion to Kitchen Rush is currently on steam. The base game is a real-time coop which is basically Overcooked with a sprinkle more of resource management.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

The Moon Monster posted:

The only thing I ever hear about Confrontation is that its studio paint jobs popularized non-metallic metal painting. Is the game actually supposed to be good? Not that there's any way I'm backing this regardless...

Personal opinion: For the time Confrontation had amazing art direction and sculpts. Especially the later sculpts still hold up very well today and the studio paintjobs evolved from good to fantastic. The rules had some very neat and unique mechanics, they were a bit on the fiddly side but that was okay since it was a skirmish game with generally pretty low model counts.

Other games have caught up over the years but i think Confrontation would still hold up today. The rules could probably use some streamlining and tweaking to adjust them to modern expectations.

Overall i'd be happy if Confrontation finally made a return but i'm not holding my breath that this specific attempt will be the one to succeed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bistromatic posted:

Personal opinion: For the time Confrontation had amazing art direction and sculpts. Especially the later sculpts still hold up very well today and the studio paintjobs evolved from good to fantastic. The rules had some very neat and unique mechanics, they were a bit on the fiddly side but that was okay since it was a skirmish game with generally pretty low model counts.

Other games have caught up over the years but i think Confrontation would still hold up today. The rules could probably use some streamlining and tweaking to adjust them to modern expectations.

Overall i'd be happy if Confrontation finally made a return but i'm not holding my breath that this specific attempt will be the one to succeed.

I really enjoyed Confrontation a lot when I played. It had good models, great painting, and the variety between the factions was huge. But the biggest thing was it was a skirmish game in a time when that was very uncommon. The rules were a bit arcane at times, but a solid game over all.

As much as I would love to see my beloved Mid-Nor dwarves on the table again, the box is just too expensive to justify for me right now. If you could buy the factions individually for $50 buck each I would get three or four no question. Getting 12 more factions I know I will never mess with isn't worth it to me.

Will definitely pick it up if it gets a retail release.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Calico Heart posted:

Howdy folk! The Kickstarter for my game, Dead in the West, has entered it's final 48 hours! It has currently achieved 66% of its goal, but in the last hour alone has made $250 so I honestly don't know what to expect in terms of success. If you haven't yet, please do check it out and see if you think it looks cool!

I'm doing a Q&A with Nerdarchy at 12pm Eastern today too, so feel free to stop on by and ask me something personally. Thanks so much to all the goons that have supported the project (and it's been quite a few)!

Did you go to sleep?

$10,505
pledged of $10,440 goal

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1731094057/syystem-the-role-playing-game-a-sci-fi-fantasy-com/description

http://www.cactyystotemgaming.com/syystem-home.html

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Truly we live in an age where satire is dead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Please kill myy.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Can I multiclass Space Merinces with Banker?

Which one lets me take Skill Focus: Spelling?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Like legit I can't tell if this is a joke or not considering that the Twitter account has existed since 2015 but I'm glad it exists and it looks like how it looks.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The Syystem people did a Q&A on RPGnet's IRC last night. I hopped in and everyone congratulated me on the Kickstarter and I stuck around for their Q&A to be polite.

They seemed very, very genuine

E: ALSO it looks like we're getting funded on my part! Thanks so much to all the goons that contributed. Feel free to send me a message on Kickstarter if you got any questions or comments.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 19, 2018

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

Syystem is a game system

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I totally do, but I've got serious reservations about the plastic figures coming out as nicely as the old metal ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chaosium’s Miskatonic University game is now up!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Congrats on hitting your goal!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I want to read the Syystem book, but nowhere near enough to pledge for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

quote:

•Note: In Syystem Space Merinces are the Paladin Class: and you learn that the YY have a special meaning. They are pronounced with an E sound. Syystem is also a sister game of our first game Myythic. At level 6 Myythic Paladins get Wings, which is why Space Merinces have Combat wings for gear.

quote:

Syystem is a new Role-playing game set in a world where the laws of physics - for that matter, everything - is breaking down. Laws, religion, marriage, computers operating systems, all of it is now working incorrectly.

Now you are trying to survive the system where nothing is as it seems. Bankers control government, politicians control corporations, Shoguns control the people, Monks have to balance out the peace through violence, Hacker Mages are learning the origins of a cyber world powering their magic. What makes SYYSTEM different? We have 3 factors that make Syystem a game with a different twist.

•100 rule changes: The games breaks and the rules change. This ensures that no 2 games will play the same even if you play the same campaign more than once. Technique (aka spells)
•Consequence Chart: You learn the true origins of casting Techniques and why they can't be controlled. What happens when a Technique can't be controlled? Play and find out.....
•Reboot Challenge: Doubt the ruling of the Game Master. Again, the game is broken, as is Syystem. Players can challenge a GM if they don't like a call.

quote:

The double Y's come from the God in the game. Spells, or Techniques as we call them, originate from this God in the form of a "God Language'. Yet, the races in the world of Syystem don't understand this. They think it's just a "Magic" to them. They don't understand they are using the same power as a god to cast these quote-on-quote, "Techniques".
[...]
The two Y's is a visual representation that the SYYSTEM is broken in a unique way.

quote:

Do I Have To Play Myythic to Play Syystem?

No. Two seperate games set in the same solar syystem.