Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

Hey thread, I'm going to run a solo adventure (possibly campaign) for a friend soon. I've done plenty of DMing, but always for fairly normal-sized groups. What would you say are things to watch out for or zoom in on if it's a one on one experience?

Play a game that's specifically designed for one-player-one-DM scenarios, because trying to pull it off in 5e is going to require a lot of rejiggering from a game that already requires a lot of rejiggering as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Solo stuff doesn’t work for DnD unless you have that one player control 4 characters.

On that note, this can work reasonably well if both you and the player are interested in that sort of thing. I run a game for three friends, and a few weeks ago two of them were unable to make it, so the remaining one and I ran a short game detailing some of the stuff his character got up to before meeting his current party. He had control of his character and 4 NPCs, and it ended up being great fun for both of us. He became particularly attached to one of the NPCs, so I'm intending to have her reappear in the near future looking for him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

Can someone help me with map scale? Like for instance take this map, right?

As far as encounters go, for example where it says "6", there's 6 goblins in that room. If I wanted to draw the map for this encounter, would it be largely pointless considering how small the room is, how many targets there are, etc.? It seems that a lot of the maps in the published modules are very small and cramped. Am I looking at this wrong? I have always used theatre-of-mind in the past, but I recently bought a nice big Chessex mat and I want to try drawing out some encounters. This map looks like it could be completely explored in 3 Dashes. Wouldn't it make a tiny bit more sense if 1 square = 10 ft? There's 15+ enemies in this map.

E: Would you draw the whole thing? I could probably fit it on this map. Do you guys draw as you go? Use paper to cover stuff like a fog of war? Just leave it uncovered and use the honor system? If I pre-draw this, I could put a bunch of cool detail if it ends up being the only "or at least 'the big' combat(s)" in the session

Here is how Roll 20 set it up if you want an example.

From my experience it works well enough as a battle map. Feel free to make it bigger if you want however. Also I am a fog of war guy.

Most maps in the official modules are larger and less cramped form what I have seen. I can't really think of any maps in other 5e modules off the top of my head as small as Cragmaw caverns. All the other dungeons in the Adventure are larger as well. (Thunder Tree and Wave Echo particularly as they use the 10 ft scale.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 19, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Danger Diabolik posted:

Does anyone have any tips/resources for running 5e in a pulpy sci-fi space setting?

I know other games would probably work better but all my players want to play is 5e and that was hard enough for them to learn.

You could maybe try Ultramodern 5.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Danger Diabolik posted:

Does anyone have any tips/resources for running 5e in a pulpy sci-fi space setting?

Exactly as written, but melee weapons are different kinds of laser swords and ranged weapons are different kinds of blaster guns.

Anything that's not directly about laser swords and blaster guns is alien DNA, psi powers, or using the force.

Wanna be a druid turn into a b'ea'rrr? Use your alien DNA based psi powers, but you can't wear a tritanium blast shield vest because it reverses the polarity of the matter recombobulator implant that lets your gear shapeshift psychotransspeciasate with you.

Oh and like the horses are either hoverbikes or they're green and have 6 legs and antennas. Or both.

e: 99% of the monsters get reskinned as "like humans, but..." and then you describe their forehead and ears.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 19, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Regards solo d&d, the method of reading damage dice from Scarlet Heroes and Godbound works regardless of edition.

SH also has a sort of generic get past otherwise insurmountable obstacles/avoid death type save built in.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is how Roll 20 set it up if you want an example.

From my experience it works well enough as a battle map. Feel free to make it bigger if you want however. Also I am a fog of war guy.

Most maps in the official modules are larger and less cramped form what I have seen. I can't really think of any maps in other 5e modules off the top of my head as small as Cragmaw caverns. All the other dungeons in the Adventure are larger as well. (Thunder Tree and Wave Echo particularly as they use the 10 ft scale.)

Thank you for this. This is super helpful.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LMoP mentions the characters having the chance to be inducted into various orgs. Is there any mention of this in subsequent campaigns orndo I just have to come up with something as DM?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
How do people handle full wipes? I’m DMing the starter set and about to get to the larger scaly guy in Thundertree.

If the entire party dies what do I do? Have them reroll chars at an elevated level? Say that someone came across them shortly and resurrected the ones they were able to? Just drop the adventure and start something new? One or two chars dying I can deal with, I just have no idea what to do if everyone dies.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I've never even seen a single character die so I dunno man.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Novum posted:

I've never even seen a single character die so I dunno man.

I've died three times in the campaign I'm currently playing. 1 was to a fire trap at level 1 and rolling 3 2's in a row. Second was thematic to set up an antagonist. The most recent one was to 2 claws and a bite from an Umber Hulk.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Nash posted:

How do people handle full wipes? I’m DMing the starter set and about to get to the larger scaly guy in Thundertree.

If the entire party dies what do I do? Have them reroll chars at an elevated level? Say that someone came across them shortly and resurrected the ones they were able to? Just drop the adventure and start something new? One or two chars dying I can deal with, I just have no idea what to do if everyone dies.
Not quite the answer to the stated question, but if one or two go down, give the rest some kind of chance to run.

If they refuse to run and all die, then its up to the lot of you. You could have them start a new group at the same level who just heard of the terrible fate of the poor losers before them and set out to "make things right" or whatever.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nash posted:

Make out of HP into out of the fight instead of dead. The characters get captured and have to escape. Or the characters have run away and forsake their goals. Or the characters have to be rescued and regret their weakness. Or the characters get robbed of their material possessions and have to scheme to steal them back. There’s real stories in people overcoming failure. There isn’t in people dying but it doesn’t matter because someone cast a magic spell.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

LMoP mentions the characters having the chance to be inducted into various orgs. Is there any mention of this in subsequent campaigns orndo I just have to come up with something as DM?

Someone mentioned one of the alternative starts to Storm Kings Thunder includes using the Zhentarim faction. I don't know if anything that goes any further.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nash posted:

I'd make it clear to them in-game through nature checks or other clues that fighting a young dragon at level 3 would be potentially lethal. If they still go for the murderhobo route, let the chips fall where they may and let players run away if they can.

I'd encourage you to use Venomfang as an intelligent agent in the scenario and not just another mob for them to fight. When I ran it, Venomfang gave the party an ultimatum to give him the location to WEC within a week or he'd raze Phandalin. They then got to fight him at level 5 with Sildar and some friends (kind of a Lake-town fight from the Hobbit) instead of wiping at Thundertree.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

kidkissinger posted:

I think it's mostly an Adventurer's League thing, but I can see them working as a way to easily give quests and rewards to a party

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They're around in storm king's thunder, some more than others. Harpers are framed as like, stock good guys though, they work in the shadows to combat the misuse of power in all forms. I wrote them as opportunistic marxists trying to waylay the unrest caused by giants into the overthrow of despotic regimes which my players seem to dig. The zhentarim are lurking around, not sure I've really used them effectively but they've both helped and fought various giants at different points. The Lord's Alliance I have as like, a stuffy old guard alliance that wants things done their way alone and demands obedience. I doubt this was the intent of these groups but it's what I did with them.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Looking at sci-fi support for 5e I found out about Esper Genesis (which coincidentally came out with the pre-release pdf the day before I asked). Looking through it seems pretty cool, it's basically just 5e with a sci-fi skin but I like a lot of the adjustments like the fighter and barbarian being rolled into one and the beastmaster being useful. I'm definitely going to be using it for my next campaign.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can anyone think of any cool handouts for LMoP?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They're around in storm king's thunder, some more than others. Harpers are framed as like, stock good guys though, they work in the shadows to combat the misuse of power in all forms. I wrote them as opportunistic marxists trying to waylay the unrest caused by giants into the overthrow of despotic regimes which my players seem to dig. The zhentarim are lurking around, not sure I've really used them effectively but they've both helped and fought various giants at different points. The Lord's Alliance I have as like, a stuffy old guard alliance that wants things done their way alone and demands obedience. I doubt this was the intent of these groups but it's what I did with them.

The D&D site has blurbs on each of the faction. http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yeah the new digital Dragon Magazine thing apparently has some previews of Mordenkainens Tome of Foes Monsters. (Also a thing on Drizzt as he is getting a new book after a Hiatus.) Have not checked it out myself yet.
http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/116396/103624349?loadFresh=true&title=19_01_Issue%2019%20Cover

Edit: Edit found one. Archdevil Moloch. https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Moloch.pdf

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 19, 2018

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Firstborn posted:

I printed off 11x17 copies of the world and town maps, without spoilery locations (wave echo cave, etc). My players enjoyed taking notes, marking things up, etc. If they're newbies you could do lists of what's available at the shops too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

What sort are you thinking of.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, there's a cool note signed with a picture of a spider that I'd like to physically give them, but that's way later in the game. I'd like to give them a town map, I suppose. Maybe an area map to consider distance when considering side-quests. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with other letters or weird physical handouts to give associated with this campaign.
I know it's Ravenloft, but there's a bunch of cool handouts for CoS, so I was just wondering.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

Well, there's a cool note signed with a picture of a spider that I'd like to physically give them, but that's way later in the game. I'd like to give them a town map, I suppose. Maybe an area map to consider distance when considering side-quests. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with other letters or weird physical handouts to give associated with this campaign.
I know it's Ravenloft, but there's a bunch of cool handouts for CoS, so I was just wondering.

Well there are not really any spoilers on the Phandalin townmap. So here is a copy.

Also here the Spiders Letter you can just print it out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the help. Will do!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Somehow missed your comment about an area map. Here is a Player version of it. (It does not have any locations on it people would not know about. Like the Castle and Cave.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh and Here is Moloch for those who don't feel like checking out the Link.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MonsterEnvy posted:

Somehow missed your comment about an area map. Here is a Player version of it. (It does not have any locations on it people would not know about. Like the Castle and Cave.)

This is perfect, thank you!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
2/2 monsters involve other planes and this one mentions sigil by name...here's hoping for that planescape book or campaign or something

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

2/2 monsters involve other planes...here's hoping for that planescape book or campaign or something

Also it's actually 3 Monsters. Vlaakith the Githyanki Lich queen also got updated from 3.5 in that Dragon+ (Though I don't think she is actually in the new book.) http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_LichQueen2.pdf

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 20, 2018

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kaysette posted:

I'd make it clear to them in-game through nature checks or other clues that fighting a young dragon at level 3 would be potentially lethal. If they still go for the murderhobo route, let the chips fall where they may and let players run away if they can.

Or you can be my party, which killed Venomfang outright in a smidge over two rounds, thanks to a failed save against Phantasmal Force and the overwhelming power of the action economy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tzirean posted:

Or you can be my party, which killed Venomfang outright in a smidge over two rounds, thanks to a failed save against Phantasmal Force and the overwhelming power of the action economy.

Pretty surprised you managed that. Were your guys level 3. Cause while I was in a level 3 party that managed to Drive Venomfang off. (Though a great deal of luck and some smart thinking.) I can't think of many parties that actually beat that Dragon at an early level.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty surprised you managed that. Were your guys level 3. Cause while I was in a level 3 party that managed to Drive Venomfang off. (Though a great deal of luck and some smart thinking.) I can't think of many parties that actually beat that Dragon at an early level.

My group (that I was a PC in, I don't DM) killed him at level 3. We took over for the cultists and got some nice rolls allowing us access to the tower and his trust. We ambushed him in his sleep, and after 2 or 3 rounds he tried to fly off at low health and we blasted that motherfucker out of the sky. We're on to a new campaign now (and took a few months off from D&D to just go back to playing board games) and that fight still gets brought up pretty constantly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Naelyan posted:

My group (that I was a PC in, I don't DM) killed him at level 3. We took over for the cultists and got some nice rolls allowing us access to the tower and his trust. We ambushed him in his sleep, and after 2 or 3 rounds he tried to fly off at low health and we blasted that motherfucker out of the sky. We're on to a new campaign now (and took a few months off from D&D to just go back to playing board games) and that fight still gets brought up pretty constantly.

Good on you. It tends to be pretty hard to ambush a dragon in sleep, so I have nothing but praise for groups that manage to defeat Venomfang.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh and Here is Moloch for those who don't feel like checking out the Link.

That's cool that they used the picture from the original PHB.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh yeah the new digital Dragon Magazine thing apparently has some previews of Mordenkainens Tome of Foes Monsters. (Also a thing on Drizzt as he is getting a new book after a Hiatus.)

I know that a lot of people hate Drizzt, but the Crystal Shard is a loving great book.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

They were all level 3, yes. The breath attack was blown on the Phantasmal Force illusion of an ogre sneaking up behind Venomfang, and Venomfang was later knocked prone, making it impossible to fully escape in round 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tzirean posted:

They were all level 3, yes. The breath attack was blown on the Phantasmal Force illusion of an ogre sneaking up behind Venomfang, and Venomfang was later knocked prone, making it impossible to fully escape in round 2.

Good on them.

Beelerzebub posted:

I know that a lot of people hate Drizzt, but the Crystal Shard is a loving great book.

I like Drizzt the problem people seem to largely have with him was his copy cats rather then the character himself. And misdirect that dislike towards him. I am also fond of the fact that the guy was created on a whim as a sidekick and broke out on his own.

From the interview in the magazine. Salvatore seems to consider the Legend of Drizzt over with Hero, and that this is the start of a new series that features Drizzt, so he wants people to be able to enjoy it without having read the old stuff.

Beelerzebub posted:

That's cool that they used the picture from the original PHB.

Appearntly the artist given nickname that statue had since 1e was Molly after Moloch. When Moloch was given art in the MM 2 his art was based on the statue.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 20, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
+15 to hit... Hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've never had to do it, but my backup scenario for if the party wipes to an intelligent enemy is that they get captured, and the party gets coerced into working for the enemy. "I spared your life, now get ready to work off your debt" sort of thing. It would mostly likely change the course of the campaign, but it poses an interesting problem for the players of trying to escape their new overlord without said overlord noticing.