Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Larch posted:

Lotta safe space bullshit on the forums these days. Kinda tedious. That is a great article, that father is heroic. All of the ugly details are required, or else it loses all meaning.

Warnings are good. Must be nice for you not to need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Larch posted:

Lotta safe space bullshit on the forums these days. Kinda tedious. That is a great article, that father is heroic. All of the ugly details are required, or else it loses all meaning.

If you're so offended by people voluntarily describing the contents of a link, maybe we should make a special place for you where you can be sheltered from them.

A sort of... space in which to feel safe, if you will.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Also, it just feels in good form to provide some kind of idea as to what you're linking in this thread. You're expecting/inviting people to devote a decent chunk of time to reading that long of an article, least you can do is give them an idea of what's in it - whether it's to warn them or to entice them into reading it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The first paragraph of that article is about a man being beaten and abducted. Just exactly where did you guys think it was headed?

Sure yeah, I'd like a small description of what I'm linking to, but if the first 50 words are about violence, I don't really see how you guys keep reading if you're that upset about it.

(Completely unrelated, Dirty Deeds Thunderchief is the best username ever.)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If the first 50 words involve violence, you can expect violence, not specfically sexual violence or anything involving children, both of which are a whole different can of worms. If you don't like that I asked for warnings when I started this thread, go read things from other threads or stop complaining.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Eh you're right, I apologize. I actually didn't know there was a specific ask for warnings.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

Also, it just feels in good form to provide some kind of idea as to what you're linking in this thread. You're expecting/inviting people to devote a decent chunk of time to reading that long of an article, least you can do is give them an idea of what's in it - whether it's to warn them or to entice them into reading it.

Yeah I agree with this. I appreciate when someone puts some effort into their post with an introduction or short excerpt from the article rather than just pasting a link

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Larch posted:

Yeah, its pathetic. If you can't deal with the ugly things in this world maybe it's not the right place for you to be in.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Larch posted:

You just read like 10,000 words, how is 200 more 'tedious', you whiny snowflake?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If someone feels it's appropriate to attach a warning to an article they link that seems fine to me. If you don't think it's necessary for an article I don't think it negatively impacts you so who gives a poo poo. On the other hand (which I've been hiding behind my back!!) I'm not going to probate people for linking to articles with warnings on the. Except in the case of graphic images linked unexpectedly in the text or it being on some really messed up site I don't want in my browser history. Th at said I think it helps to have a brief description of whatever article you're posting instead of just dropping a link imo. so people should make an effort there even if it's just a sentence or two.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is also a slow moving enough thread so if someone just drops a link and you think it should have a warning with it for example maybe it really explicitly describes sex crimes then report it. In that case I will take a look myself and pop in a warning as needed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have shamed this thread. :ohdear:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Larch posted:

geez i should reload my page i guess. anyway. i kinda agreed with this guy. I found the warning paternalistic :P

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Whenever I see a link with no description on SA, I assume it’s the goat man and I scroll past.

Don’t just dump links, people. Especially if you’re going to dump them in two or three threads at once.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t just dump links, people.

Yeah I agree.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Whenever I see a link with no description on SA, I assume it’s the goat man and I scroll past.

Don’t just dump links, people. Especially if you’re going to dump them in two or three threads at once.

I think including a single sentence to explain why something is interesting is just common courtesy. If such a description would spoil the surprise, just say that and then folks can decide if they want to proceed.

I read during downtime at work and if I'm going to dive into some dark poo poo, I'd prefer to wait until I get home so that I don't have to explain to a co-worker why I'm reading a 3k word thinkpiece on the Saskatoon Squirrel Molester, even if there aren't any graphic pictures.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Azathoth posted:

I read during downtime at work and if I'm going to dive into some dark poo poo, I'd prefer to wait until I get home so that I don't have to explain to a co-worker why I'm reading a 3k word thinkpiece on the Saskatoon Squirrel Molester, even if there aren't any graphic pictures.

Man, that guy was a total perv. He might've escalated to molesting woodchucks if the authorities hadn't caught him.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
The headline is a bit click-baity but this article goes into the 'heart healthy' nature of moderate alcohol consumption:

Did Drinking Give Me Breast Cancer?
The science on the link is clear, but the alcohol industry has worked hard to downplay it.

quote:

Scientists have long known that heavy drinking causes high blood pressure, strokes, and heart attacks. That’s why early studies investigating drinking and heart disease started with the logical supposition that people who abstain from alcohol should have low rates of heart disease compared with moderate or heavy drinkers. As it turned out, they didn’t. When plotted on a curve, drinkers fell into a J-shaped pattern: Abstainers in the studies had rates of cardiovascular disease similar to those of heavy drinkers.

But this J-curve is deceptive. Not all the nondrinkers in these studies were teetotalers like the ones I grew up with in Utah. The British epidemiologist A. Gerald Shaper began a wide-ranging men’s heart health study in the late 1970s, and when he examined the data, he found that 71 percent of nondrinkers in the study were actually former drinkers who had quit. Some of these ex-drinking men were as likely to smoke as heavy drinkers. They had the highest rate of heart disease of any group and elevated rates of high blood pressure, peptic ulcers, diabetes, gallbladder disease, and even bronchitis. Shaper concluded that ex-drinkers were often sicker than heavy drinkers who hadn’t quit, making them a poor control group.

Stockwell and Fillmore analyzed decades’ worth of studies on alcohol and heart disease. Once they excluded studies with ex-drinkers—which was most of them—the heart benefits of alcohol largely disappeared. Since then, a host of other studies have found that drinking does not provide any heart benefits. (Some studies have found that drinking small amounts of alcohol—sometimes less than one drink per day—can be beneficial for certain people at risk of heart disease.) Robert Brewer, who runs an alcohol program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, says, “Studies do not support that there are benefits of moderate drinking.” The Agriculture Department removed language suggesting that alcohol may lower the risk of heart disease in the most recent US Dietary Guidelines.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey, do you remember that 100 dollar laptop? The green thing with the acid bright rubber keyboard and hand crank thing that people were going to air drop into third world countries? Yeah, whatever happened to that thing?

Here's a write up just about the company and its product, and where it is now:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-laptop-education-where-is-it-now

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

value-brand cereal posted:

Hey, do you remember that 100 dollar laptop? The green thing with the acid bright rubber keyboard and hand crank thing that people were going to air drop into third world countries? Yeah, whatever happened to that thing?

Here's a write up just about the company and its product, and where it is now:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17233946/olpcs-100-laptop-education-where-is-it-now

Great read. It ended up much happier than I expected.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

A great read about maraschino cherries, bees, and a company owner's hidden secret:

The Maraschino Mogul's Secret Life

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A story about the rise and fall of some teen XBox hackers.
https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-underground-videogame-hackers/

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
The Harrison Family Murders: How a stunning series of police failures made it take three different suspicious deaths - all in the same family home over the course of years - to open a proper investigation

quote:

CALEB HARRISON was not the first person in his family to die at 3635 Pitch Pine Cres. He was not even the second. In April 2010, his 63-year-old mother, Bridget Harrison, was found dead at the bottom of the stairs leading to the second floor. Her body lay steps away from the powder room where one year earlier she had discovered her husband, Bill Harrison, cold and lifeless. His death at 64 was classified as natural until Bridget died under suspicious circumstances and a coroner updated his file, placing the deaths of husband and wife in the same category. “Undetermined.”

And now a third mysterious death. An entire family wiped out. How could this happen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fits posted:

The Harrison Family Murders: How a stunning series of police failures made it take three different suspicious deaths - all in the same family home over the course of years - to open a proper investigation

Well, that was an infuriating read.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That’s exactly the word I was going to post!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's like Dear Zachary but somehow even more so.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

loving hell. Well guess the rest of my night is gonna be in the cute animals thread.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The ISIS Files:When Terrorists Run City Hall
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/04/world/middleeast/isis-documents-mosul-iraq.html

No gruesome images or anything so don't worry. It's about how they put people back to work and ran government offices to get a system up and working to create revenue.

An efficient bureaucracy who knew what to do and make garbage collection a #1 priority.

quote:

In early 2017, Iraqi soldiers reclaimed the town, and were welcomed as heroes. But then they disconnected the Islamic State circuit breakers — and the power failures resumed.

“If the government was to go back to the system that ISIS put in place, we would go so far as to kiss their foreheads,” Mr. Younes, the truck driver, said at the time.

Within a few months, the government did just that.

The irony that it had taken a terrorist group to fix one of the town’s longstanding grievances was not lost on its citizens.

“Although they were not recognized as a state or a country,” said one shopkeeper, Ahmed Ramzi Salim, “they acted like one.”
It's weird but somewhat interesting to see how the civilians got by and how ISIS had spies or were savvy in controlling everything.

quote:

Mr. Hamoud decided to try to escape. He and his eldest son, 28-year-old Omar, had set aside over $30,000 to buy a new home. The morning of their planned departure, Omar withdrew all but around $1,000 from the bank account.

Not even two hours later, a unit of masked fighters banged down the family’s front door. One of them was holding the bank slip Omar had signed.

“Try this again and we’ll kill every last one of you,” the militants warned.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Apr 20, 2018

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
https://www.wired.com/story/dna-transfer-framed-murder/

A man is framed for a murder by his DNA turning up at the scene, despite a rock solid alibi proving it wasn’t him. A good story about how DNA is not a perfect forensic technique and requires some interpretation and analysis, but criminal justice systems are all about those convictions.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

https://story.californiasunday.com/abortion-providers

"A secret network of women is working outside the law and the medical establishment to provide safe, cheap home abortions."

I read this the other day and it's utterly fascinating to me that early abortions can be done so safely with so little formal training. Feeling like I need to gather my favorite reads into a OneTab folder and share them here weekly or else I risk forgetting to post.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Desert Bus posted:

I was just about to post this. I don't have much interest in the US Navy or aviation in general, but this was a really interesting and entertaining read.

This is from a while ago, but that's a pro-click. It's also amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.txt

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16535/confessions-of-a-c-2-greyhound-carrier-onboard-delivery-pilot

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Mind-bending longform article on the rent-a-family industry in Japan: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/japans-rent-a-family-industry

rngd in the womb has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 30, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Western cuisine as it is now is not how it used to be. A rare post in this thread that doesn't involve terrible things.

https://www.eater.com/2017/9/1/16202292/history-of-flavor-daniel-patterson-mindy-aftel

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Interesting, thank you.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-mysterious-heir-of-extreme-travel-w520300

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rolling Stone posted:

Baekeland claimed his bank confused Palmyra Atoll with the ISIS stronghold of Palmyra, Syria, and impounded the funds.

:lol: loving brilliant

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.wired.com/story/a-new-look-inside-theranos-dysfunctional-corporate-culture/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/the-perfect-milk-machine-how-big-data-transformed-the-dairy-industry/256423/
Content warnings: none. Food, I suppose, since milk is mentioned.

A look at the American Dairy Industry and how it manages data on almost every single cow to min max, for example, a cows milk content, how much muscle they have, and which cow can produce the best offspring.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/11/the-curious-case-of-baarle-nassau-and.html
Content warnings: none.

A [very brief] look at borders of two municipalities that divide a town quite literally. It's neat geography! Comes with photos!

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12325104/airbnb-aesthetic-global-minimalism-startup-gentrification
Content warnings: minimalism, greige and taupe colors implied D:>

You know all the instrant gram photos of minimalist grey marble home interiors and generic cafes of edison bulbs and brown pleather seats with raw wood tables? This is a look at how AirBnB, instagram, and other social media sites are pushing towards a unified and generic look to homes interiors and exteriors.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/
Content warnings: murder, war and war time atrocities, child death, genocide, brief but explicit gore, appropriation of and basically roleplaying Native American culture, desecration and mutilation of corpses, racism, beheading,
There is artistic renditions of blood, murder, corpses, and guns, and one photo of a collection of knives.

A look at USA's Seal Team Six and crimes they have commited.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Just Kills: How The Marine Corps Blew The Biggest War Crimes Case Since Vietnam
https://taskandpurpose.com/true-story-marine-corps-blew-biggest-war-crimes-case/
There are a couple crime scene photos from the Haditha massacre investigation that include bodies, so be advised about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

value-brand cereal posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/the-perfect-milk-machine-how-big-data-transformed-the-dairy-industry/256423/
Content warnings: none. Food, I suppose, since milk is mentioned.

A look at the American Dairy Industry and how it manages data on almost every single cow to min max, for example, a cows milk content, how much muscle they have, and which cow can produce the best offspring.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/11/the-curious-case-of-baarle-nassau-and.html
Content warnings: none.

A [very brief] look at borders of two municipalities that divide a town quite literally. It's neat geography! Comes with photos!

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12325104/airbnb-aesthetic-global-minimalism-startup-gentrification
Content warnings: minimalism, greige and taupe colors implied D:>

You know all the instrant gram photos of minimalist grey marble home interiors and generic cafes of edison bulbs and brown pleather seats with raw wood tables? This is a look at how AirBnB, instagram, and other social media sites are pushing towards a unified and generic look to homes interiors and exteriors.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/
Content warnings: murder, war and war time atrocities, child death, genocide, brief but explicit gore, appropriation of and basically roleplaying Native American culture, desecration and mutilation of corpses, racism, beheading,
There is artistic renditions of blood, murder, corpses, and guns, and one photo of a collection of knives.

A look at USA's Seal Team Six and crimes they have commited.

Well that escalated quickly.