Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The characters and stories, though not that particular version of them, are public domain so anyone could base a movie on Tir Na Nog stories of they really wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We all know who the Power Rangers would prefer to crossover with anyway ...

https://i.imgur.com/VNmx4Vi.gifv

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Put in the Bay Turtles and I'm sold.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

8one6 posted:

Didn't that movie bomb because it had nothing to do with the source material beyond "girl band"?
I saw a real early cut of it, like a year or something well in advance of the release, and I thought it was a cute way to reinvent Jem in the era of social media celebrity.

But yeah, all the cool Synergy power fantasy stuff was gone, gone, gone. Which was a pretty impressive oversight since 900% of the Jem nostalgia revolved around the cool hologram poo poo the computer could do (the other .5% being a mix of RIO, the Duran Duran 80s art style).

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if the Power Rangers Shared Cinematic Universe which was presumably supposed to happen after the reboot movie last (?) year would've gotten around to the one I liked best when I was little, The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.
I could see a Masked Rider movie going for the 'dark, gritty' sentai audience. Like the second Guyver movie did.
Mystic Knights could be brought in as part of the Zeo time-tour. Just say that Maeve found a way to tap into the Zeo Crystal through something and bam, crossover.

poo poo, you can tie in the Thunderzord upgrades with Zeo magic -- portions of Zeo Crystal power helped create mythological beasts.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I could see a Masked Rider movie going for the 'dark, gritty' sentai audience. Like the second Guyver movie did.

I saw some clips from Kamen Rider Amazons that tried for that, but it's hilarious cause they're still in shiny, colorful costumes despite the goal being to make it a biological transformation.

I'd love someone to take some of the cooler premises in some of the shows, despite ultimately being not good. Like, Time Ranger vaguely addresses class disparity. Kamen Rider Agito had a few "Amazon"/bio styled transformations if you want to go that route if the effects could be actually good. Back then I was sold on the premise/plot alone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to Power Rangers v Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills: Dawn of Moprhin'.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FilthyImp posted:

I saw a real early cut of it, like a year or something well in advance of the release, and I thought it was a cute way to reinvent Jem in the era of social media celebrity.

But yeah, all the cool Synergy power fantasy stuff was gone, gone, gone. Which was a pretty impressive oversight since 900% of the Jem nostalgia revolved around the cool hologram poo poo the computer could do (the other .5% being a mix of RIO, the Duran Duran 80s art style).

What they were clearly trying to do was tell an origin story that would then escalate into more traditional stuff over the course of the franchise. The plot of the film is already structured around Jerrica finding out about her father's secret super science, including an A.I. sidekick, named Synergy. There was even a MCU-styled mid-credit scene introducing the Misfits as the antagonists of the next movie.

But coupled with no teenage girl living today giving a poo poo about a cartoon from 30 years ago, the "They're making Jem less empowered!" clickbait basically wrote itself. It wasn't a good movie by any means, but anything that was problematic about it was already endemic to the source material. It was a celebrity power fantasy made to sell off-brand Barbie merchandize to children, and the movie was also a celebrity power fantasy made to sell off-brand American Idol/Hanna Montana/etc. merchandize to children.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's the thing. Origin stories get made because somebody, probably the studio, thinks they're necessary. Maybe they try to cram too much in, or they're uninspired beause whoever made them was more passionate about a storyline that isn't the one they're stuck with for the origin. Anyway, the origin movie bombs, it doesn't make money, and you never get to see the storylines people actually care about because you're stuck waiting for a reboot in a decade or more.

The Legend of Tarzan was really good about this. They realized that nobody needs more than a brief explanation of who Tarzan is and set their story after he's moved back to England. There are brief flashbacks to his origins but they're important to the main plot and don't bog things down. They also stupidly assume they were going to automatically get a franchise so there's no dumb sequel hook. The movie feels whole.

Contrast that with The Amazing Spider-Man, which nobody asked for, rebooted after a few short years. They went and told roughly the same old Spider-Man origin again with a few changes here and there. Then they went forward with a sequel despite the first one seriously underperforming. At some point they get it into their dipshit skulls that people want an origin story of Peter Parker's dad. I haven't seen Homecoming yet, but from what I gather they didn't bother with much origin stuff because Civil War already covered those bases in about 5 minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven't seen Homecoming yet, but from what I gather they didn't bother with much origin stuff because Civil War already covered those bases in about 5 minutes.

I think Ben Parker gets indirectly mentioned once in Homecoming, when May mentions to Peter about all she's "gone through." Outside of that, I don't think he's ever brought up once; Parker's daddy issues get worked out through Stark.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's not about the necessity of the origin story. It's that commercial filmmaking hues as closely to convention as possible in order to structure a story efficiently. An 'origin story' is a unique term that originates in the medium of serialized comic-books, but it's straightforwardly just describing a three-act hero's journey.

So when a studio acquires the rights to Jem and the Holograms, the notion of doing an 'origin story' does not come out of any necessity, of trying to figure out how the 'introduce' or 're-introduce' a character. The 'origin story' is a spontaneous product of the filmmakers trying to build a narrative around a predetermined character, and deciding that the 'creation' of that character is dramatically compelling in and of itself. It is no more or less likely that a film will be more economically successful if it isn't an 'origin story.' Jem bombed, Tarzan bombed, it doesn't matter.

Again, nobody complained about Jem because it was an 'origin story.' Most people didn't even realize that this was the case, they just assumed that any difference between the cartoons and the movie was an irrevocable change. The reality is that the film bombed because, like The Legend of Tarzan, nobody actually gives a poo poo about Jem. Only fans are preoccupied with this idea that 'people are sick of origin stories.' People don't know the difference, by and large, and popular response is often unpredictable. The Amazing Spider-Man didn't under-perform because anybody cares that it's re-booting the franchise with an origin story. It under-performed because the market is already saturated with superhero movies, particularly by one studio that puts out at least two a year, and people were sick of Spider-Man.

Now, both films still made over $700 mil, and it turns out that the actual difference between their success and the success of Homecoming is roughly $25 million less in budget and $100 million more in box office sales. The relative failure and success of these films has way more to do with how money is managed behind the scenes than with what actually plays out in terms of what mainstream audiences patronize. But in the insular world of fan communities, they've already decided that the solution was Homecoming not being an origin story... even though it explicitly is the origin story of the MCU Spider-Man and Vulture.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All these toy movies and I can't help but think of Shogun Warriors and the cool anime series it tried to americanize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjoI47ARUs

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I remember there was some weird show back when I was a kid where all the heroes had cars and most eps had a cliffhanger. One of those cliffhangers had them all about to be crushed by combine harvesters? I think one of the later characters was called Robert. Anyone remember what show this was?

Whatever it was, they should make a movie. Makes as much sense as any of the other ones.

(This isn't a bit, BTW. I honestly remember a show like that and for the life of me can't find it)

EDIT: Holy poo poo I found it, it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuf9zMqWp2U

...dunno why that made such an impression on young me, to be honest. Still, lifelong mystery solved!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

All these toy movies and I can't help but think of Shogun Warriors and the cool anime series it tried to americanize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjoI47ARUs

It's kind of interesting that, after the Shogun Warriors line died, there was no attempt made whatsoever to try and keep any of the franchises popular in the US. It seems like in some cases, they actively tried to kill the American popularity of some of it- licensors basically treated Mazinger Z like it was loving radioactive for about 25 years after the Shogun Warriors line, and that's the least obscure by far of the series they used.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I was going to complain that no one has bothered to reboot superhuman samurai syber-squad but I watched the preview for the Reboot reboot and it turns out that they just called it Reboot this time around.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

8one6 posted:

I was going to complain that no one has bothered to reboot superhuman samurai syber-squad but I watched the preview for the Reboot reboot and it turns out that they just called it Reboot this time around.

Yeah, that's terrible.

I'm mean imagine the latest version of -Byte being Terror-Byte. They could have done that but we got wannabe Power Rangers.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's terrible.

I'm mean imagine the latest version of -Byte being Terror-Byte. They could have done that but we got wannabe Power Rangers.

I get that Tony Jay is dead and as a grown rear end man I shouldn't give a poo poo but would it have been so loving hard to just do an actual reboot of Reboot and not whatever the gently caress The Guardian Code is supposed to be?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's worth noting that the ReBoot remake is made by literally nobody who was involved with the original, and the studio making it only has the IP at all due to legal fuckery (the ReBoot IP was tied to Mainframe as a company, not the people who created it, despite the latter owning Mainframe outright at the time. when they sold Mainframe to WOW Unlimited, who merged it with Rainmaker Digital Studios, the ReBoot IP went with Mainframe in the sale, meaning WOW/Rainmaker can do whatever the hell they want with it and the original creators are SOL.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

8one6 posted:

I get that Tony Jay is dead and as a grown rear end man I shouldn't give a poo poo but would it have been so loving hard to just do an actual reboot of Reboot and not whatever the gently caress The Guardian Code is supposed to be?

as I mentioned, yes, it would have. nobody involved with Guardian Code had anything to do with the original, it's literally just the holding company that owns Mainframe/Rainmaker trying to milk some money out of their IP library (presumably in part because the Ratchet and Clank movie put them in dire straits)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

8one6 posted:

Funnilly enough, the actual sentai show that it's based on just got announced for some kind of upcoming project, and it looks like it's throwing SSSS some nods.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Cary Grant was the first choice of the producers and Fleming's preference was Richard Todd. Didn't know Moore was that high on their list, though.

Oddly enough, in the earlier novels, Bond is described as looking like the songwriter Hoagy Carmichael, which seems like an odd comparison (as opposed to a movie star or a popular singer).

Oh, I see where Alan Moore got his inspiration from when having him feature in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hoagy Carmichael is a great analogy for Bond, a lame rear end white guy in a tan suit that they swore up and down invented being cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite bit from Shin Godzilla was when they order the missiles to be fired but it's this conga line of like 15 people who give the order to someone who gives it to someone else who gives to someone else. Even once they get the order into the helicopter that fired the missiles, there's like three guys in there and the order has to be conveyed from one guy to the next and then finally to the guy with his finger on the button.

I'm afraid we can't fire at Godzilla on account of the young man helping his elderly father cross the railroad tracks who would potentially be adjacent to the line of fire.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It all comes back to Godzilla as the trailer for the new anime movie Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SeQD22Csc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Stuff about anime

Could you do me a favor and make a new thread and write all this up in the OP with sources and statistics and further reading links? thanks in advance

fake edit: or just point me in the direction of a thread that already has all this info

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Could you do me a favor and make a new thread and write all this up in the OP with sources and statistics and further reading links? thanks in advance

fake edit: or just point me in the direction of a thread that already has all this info

God no, there's no way I want to try to put together an OP of all of that.

Instead, here's a dump of news articles about several issues in the industry:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-anime-business-20170701-story.html - this concerns the streaming platforms and how they are potentially going to affect the marketplace for US licensing, which is already on the ropes after the anime bubble popped in the mid-2000s and killed a bunch of distributors, which - as one can imagine - is surely only going to cause more problems for the animation studios

https://www.nippon.com/en/currents/d00337/ - this talks about how the industry, from prestige studios like Ghibli (although Ghibli has a reputation as a horrible place to work - even Goro Miyazaki, Hayao's own son, went "I can't loving deal with this") down to the bottom of the industry, are struggling to find new local talent and are outsourcing more and more of the in-betweens, which is traditionally the training ground for new animators

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/05/26/20-year-anime-veteran-reveals-industrys-shocking-wage-issue/ - here's an article about a long-time animator having tweeted about how it's hard as hell to make ends meet - even after 20 years in the industry

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/05/25/one-in-every-four-anime-studios-are-bleeding-money/ - an article linked in the previous article that explains why that might be a problem, as one in four studios are in the red

https://kotaku.com/average-anime-industry-salaries-get-depressing-1774852881 - a Kotaku East article about a survey done in 2017 concerning pay - in-betweeners make like one grand more than what the Shirobako infographic listed in 2014

https://zakitakubu.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/how-much-do-japanese-voice-actors-actress-get-paid/ - an article covering a news story about voice actor pay - as it turns out, I had misread about Hollywood film dubbing; it actually pays even less than anime. But video games is still the payout king.

https://chikorita157.com/2015/11/19/the-dark-side-behind-the-glamor-or-why-being-a-voice-actor-in-japan-is-difficult/ - a little more information about voice acting and the pains of working.

Basically, once you start digging on the animation side, you can find a lot of info. The voice acting side is seriously under covered, though, so there's some piecing together of this fact and that fact and paying attention to just how much this or that person works (once you follow a few on Twitter you begin to realize how much they work) to make the bigger picture for them clearer (the one thing that does get hammered in every article is "junior" VAs make like $120-$150 an episode, and A-listers can pull in about $500 per - and most of the people below A and B-list are probably working part time jobs to make ends meet, which is somewhat of a luxury compared to animators who are swamped with their "day job"). But the stories are scattered over a decade or more in some cases - I tried to pull as recent stuff as I could here, because it's hard to verify/expect how true a 2009 article remains, although given Japan's general malaise economically even between then and now, it's got reasonably good odds.

I would also imagine that, if you look in the right places, there's been some investigation from local news. After all, all these English-language articles are disseminated from a Japanese source somewhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

It's not about the necessity of the origin story. It's that commercial filmmaking hues as closely to convention as possible in order to structure a story efficiently. An 'origin story' is a unique term that originates in the medium of serialized comic-books, but it's straightforwardly just describing a three-act hero's journey.

So when a studio acquires the rights to Jem and the Holograms, the notion of doing an 'origin story' does not come out of any necessity, of trying to figure out how the 'introduce' or 're-introduce' a character. The 'origin story' is a spontaneous product of the filmmakers trying to build a narrative around a predetermined character, and deciding that the 'creation' of that character is dramatically compelling in and of itself. It is no more or less likely that a film will be more economically successful if it isn't an 'origin story.' Jem bombed, Tarzan bombed, it doesn't matter.

Yeah an origin story is pretty much exactly The Hero's Journey so it's no wonder that screenwriters leap on it, it's super easy to adapt into a screenplay. Most of the tricks in their bag revolve around drawing the audience into the narrative via character arcs which is a hard ask when you're adapting a cartoon or comic which explicitly avoids character development because the audience will often receive the episodes/issues out of order and is designed to let them slip right back in without getting confused if they missed an episode or an issue. Comic book writers actually used to be handed a 'character bible' which laid out strict rules about what they can and can't do with the characters so they didn't get crazy and change them up too much.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The thing is - when it comes to any given character - the best stories are never directly related to their characters’ origins. The best Batman stories to adapt to film, in my opinion, would be something like Gotham Nights or arcs from Legends of the Dark Knight where Batman is a secondary, tertiary, or even legendary character in the story. A “modern classic” story like Hush would be way too crowded and difficult to follow. Similarly for Spider-Man or any other property; it’s ok to start a story en medias res. People will figure it out.

I really wanted to see a good Jem movie but the one I saw was crap, from beginning to end. Nothing to do with the storyline or staying true to the cartoon; it was just an entirely predictable lovely lame movie.

You can just start a story and let people learn about the characters and their motivations and past. I watched Michael Mann’s Thief the other day and it’s amazing how complex and layered his guy became over the course of the film. There’s no real introduction to him or what he does, and learning little parts of his backstory rather than being walked through it makes him an interesting antihero.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 20, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

They even went to the trouble of getting Richard Kiel to reprise the role of Jaws even though he did nothing but grunts and growls. The theme song by Mya was better than most of the real Brosnan movie themes too.

Granted the plot was still pretty dumb but compared to "out-surfing an orbital laser in the arctic" an army of platinum tanks wielding nanomachines that eat everything but platinum was at least kind of fun and led to a few fun set pieces.

Everything or Nothing was fantastic, and it really should have been the first of several in that style. Instead, we got From Russia with Love, and that was it, right up until some bad rainbow six knockoff

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Here's the thing. Origin stories get made because somebody, probably the studio, thinks they're necessary. Maybe they try to cram too much in, or they're uninspired beause whoever made them was more passionate about a storyline that isn't the one they're stuck with for the origin. Anyway, the origin movie bombs, it doesn't make money, and you never get to see the storylines people actually care about because you're stuck waiting for a reboot in a decade or more.

Yeah as others have said "origin story" just describes the normal structure of pretty much every film. For example is Ghostbusters an origin story? No it's a complete story in and of itself. "Origin story" is a retroactive term which is used now that most movies coming out are sequels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The origin of the Ghostbusters is like the first third or half of the movie. (I don't remember the pacing well) The main plot starts when they're already established as a business.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mazinga!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

For example is Ghostbusters an origin story?

Yes, unambiguously yes, since the first chunk of the film is devoted to the team's origin.

What a strange example.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Origin stories own, look at Darkman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I've never seen any of the sequels, were they any good?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're okay. They sort of feel like episodes of a non-existent Darkman television series from 1993.

However, they do reveal that Darkman now has this little train he rides around in the subway to get about New York.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I vaguely remember watching the second movie and being bored, despite Billy Zane's Arnold Vosloo's best efforts.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Yes, unambiguously yes, since the first chunk of the film is devoted to the team's origin.

What a strange example.

This is getting into a semantic argument but I meant that it's a complete story and not a lesser story because it is about the origin of a team. The "origin story" is not just a setup for a sequel, it is a story in itself. Many films of every genre are about this - character starts in one place and by the final act of the film they have transformed, then the film ends. This journey is the best fertile ground to tell a story - not after the transformation is complete. There is nowhere left to go then. That's why most sequels are inferior. "Origin stories" are the best films basically

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Batman Begins seems like almost an afterthought nowadays compared to TDK and TDKR, though. (Not sure if the latter movie is necessarily better, but it's certainly interesting)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's terrible.

I have thought that Reboot was always terrible. I think it was just a product of it's time, CGI was new and neat and so were computers.

Grendels Dad posted:

Origin stories can be good, but we don't need them every drat time. Pre-existing superheroes just tend to be the worst at it because most people have some concept of it through cultural osmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not casting Kesha as the lead of the Jem reboot was a missed opportunity.