Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This bill owns and it's going to get shut down by the Mantioba PCs

https://twitter.com/ndpcaucus/status/986985931457679361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Now show me the toronto star one

quote:

Doug Ford's election promises don't add up
How Tanya Granic Allen creates a problem for Doug Ford
Why Doug Ford's populist politics are resonating with Ontarians
Doug Ford resists pressure to remove Tanya Granic Allen from ...
Online guerrilla campaign takes aim at PC Leader Doug Ford
Doug Ford, PCs find traction with affordability, accountability ...
Doug Ford says he will cut red tape to revive Ontario manufacturing ...
Doug Ford insists he is no Donald Trump
Liberals launch $1M-attack-ad blitz throwing Doug Ford's words ...
Ford promises tax credit for minimum-wage earners
Without reporters to bear witness, how can voters really judge Doug ...
Doug Ford not banning Tanya Granic Allen because he owes her for ...
Doug Ford's false fiscal promises
Doug Ford vows to oust Hydro One CEO if elected Ontario premier
Why is Doug Ford playing hard to get?
Doug Ford shouldn't make it harder for reporters to hold him to account
Your letters: Must we find a way to stop Doug Ford?
Doug Ford is, to use a charitable word, a puzzle
Kathleen Wynne blasts Doug Ford as a 'bulldozer' in a china shop in ...
What is the Ford Nation plan for First Nations?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

This bill owns and it's going to get shut down by the Mantioba PCs

https://twitter.com/ndpcaucus/status/986985931457679361

Holy poo poo. That's some good legislation.

EvilJoven posted:

Seeing as it's Vancouver, which is already suffering massive affordability issues for working class people thanks to the influx of capital from outside our borders, I just don't see this being anything but providing yet another method of enacting their will to a class of people who have very little vested interest in the success of their community, beyond it being their personal playground and a parking place for their capital.

I wish I were as optimistic as those of you who think this is meant to give people who actually care about the community they live in the ability to try to influence their community for the better, rather than being just another disaster for those who aren't independently wealthy.

So, is this not an issue once they've gone all the way through the citizenship process?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They weren't dumb enough to have theirs leak.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't feel that the tactics of a Sun publication require much imagination to guess.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Seeing as it's Vancouver, which is already suffering massive affordability issues for working class people thanks to the influx of capital from outside our borders, I just don't see this being anything but providing yet another method of enacting their will to a class of people who have very little vested interest in the success of their community, beyond it being their personal playground and a parking place for their capital.

I wish I were as optimistic as those of you who think this is meant to give people who actually care about the community they live in the ability to try to influence their community for the better, rather than being just another disaster for those who aren't independently wealthy.

You don't (or shouldn't) get to disenfranchise an entire class of persons because you disagree with their politics.

If the objection is that some of these persons aren't really residents, then craft your voting laws to protect against that, but someone like the aforementioned forty-year resident should not have to sacrifice their say simply because some other resident might prefer policies that favour real estate speculation.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

They weren't dumb enough to have theirs leak.

Typical big city elites

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I don't feel that the tactics of a Sun publication require much imagination to guess.

It's really sad that auto insurance is apparently a big election issue for them. Grow up, Sun.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Their twitter account guy has been pretty bad this election for sure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The actual quote was

quote:

“I have massive support in the black community. I love them, they love me,”
“There’s no other politician in this country, no other politician outside of Rob Ford, that has supported the black community more than I have.”

Which is probably presumptuous enough to be offensive as is.

TBF, I get the feeling the OLP coms people have decided that veracity isn't particularly important and nobody pays attention to fact checks. Which is true for conservatives, but I wouldn't bet on it being true for the Liberals.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea but it's the Liberals who are calling them "the blacks", which is hilarious considering that their whole shtick is supposed to be being the same as the Conservatives but using less awful language.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Vancouver City Council voting thing sounds a lot like people who clamor to take the vote away from prisoners because they are afraid a party will promise everyone pardons that votes for them. It's a just not a realistic fear or scenario.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think if anything we need to take away the vote from more people. Just being born here shouldn't give you citizenship. Something given has no basis in value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Except that prisoners don't have bribe money and rich foreign white collar criminals do...? The city's politicians have been working directly for the rich for a long rear end time already, how is giving a vote to even more rich people who use the city as a place to launder money and take advantage of stupid greedy Canadians going to do anything but make it worse?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Yea but it's the Liberals who are calling them "the blacks", which is hilarious considering that their whole shtick is supposed to be being the same as the Conservatives but using less awful language.

It literally is, but it's clearly meant to attributed to Doug Ford. The OLP's shtick is being marginally less horrendous then the PCPO.

ChairMaster posted:

Except that prisoners don't have bribe money and rich foreign white collar criminals do...? The city's politicians have been working directly for the rich for a long rear end time already, how is giving a vote to even more rich people who use the city as a place to launder money and take advantage of stupid greedy Canadians going to do anything but make it worse?

Because you're also giving the vote to poor people?

Like, your problem is with lobbying and campaign contributions, and that's an entirely separate issue.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

If they're actual residents the deserve to vote on issues that impact their community. I'm sorry Vancouver is filled with so many garbage people and property owners.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

More great news, a significant increase in hate crimes in Mississauga and Brampton, year over year, possibly attributable to the increased visibility of extremist groups.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nocturtle posted:

If they're actual residents the deserve to vote on issues that impact their community.

Yea I'm sure that's exactly why the city council wants to give them the vote.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think if anything we need to take away the vote from more people. Just being born here shouldn't give you citizenship. Something given has no basis in value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.

Service guarantees citizenship.

Unfortunately for Heinlein, while he's right that the implicit threat of violence undergirds much of our politics, once a critical mass of individuals are stripped of the ability to exercise "legitimate" political force, they will organize to exert violence in an "illegitimate" manner. Thus riots and civil war.

I was enthralled by his model as a teenager, but the idea that a society might exist where millionaire capitalists might simply choose not to exert political force and cede it to the veterans and humanitarians seems laughably naive to me now.

Not to start a derail or anything...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that we should give Bugs a vote seeing as they're here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Look, all I'm saying is that we should give Bugs a vote seeing as they're here

You have an interesting view of immigrants....

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

More great news, a significant increase in hate crimes in Mississauga and Brampton, year over year, possibly attributable to the increased visibility of extremist groups.

loving Alberta

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I predict that barely any non-citizens will vote in Vancouver elections, just like how barely any actual citizens vote in them now.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

One thing that I found surprising with the Toronto Sun leak was that not only they frame an issue in a specific way, but they also explicitly ask their reporters to show one side of the story. For instance, under "Health care" they're asking for quotes from doctor's saying the system doesn't work.

But not the opposite. Or how to improve the system vs. each party's plan. Etc.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

In that sense the Toronto Sun should count as Doug Ford electoral expenses

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You have an interesting view of immigrants....

Who are the brain bugs in this scenario?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

cougar cub posted:

loving Alberta

remember when that now international hate group armed themselves to the teeth and proclaimed their intent to defend canada from immigrants while rallying in downtown calgary?

good times.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

What downsides do you see to allowing permanent resident status residents vote for municipal government?

This was a thing a few years back when it was suggested in Toronto and I've yet to see a more coherent argument against than "argle bargle! Devaluing citizenship!"

Nobody's violating your human rights by making you sit out your first election cycle. If you're already a permanent resident, the path to Canadian citizenship is straightforward and easy, relative to pretty much any other country on the planet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So the argument is "the status quo is fine" then?

I'm not really saying it isn't, but "Permanent residents don't need the vote because they can just become citizens" isn't much of an argument either. Is there some reason why they shouldn't be allowed to vote?*

*"Because they're not citizens" isn't a helpful answer

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

*"Because they're not citizens" isn't a helpful answer

Yeah, actually, it is, in that citizenship represents loyalty to the country. What's not a helpful answer is "I pay taxes, therefore I should get to vote," especially coming from people who otherwise rightfully decry trading money for influence.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to figure out what exactly "loyalty to the country" means in terms of municipal government.

They're residents, I'm not sure how much further you need to go to justify having a say in how their homes and communities are managed.

e:Also, citizenship is awarded at birth, I'd say it means precisely sweet gently caress all in terms of loyalty to anything.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 19, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, actually, it is, in that citizenship represents loyalty to the country.
how do you manage to have such consistently bad takes like all the time

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THC posted:

:iiam:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

THC posted:

Your post/avatar combo. :discourse:

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 19, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Kinder Morgan is going to back out so the Libs are going to build their own pipeline

https://twitter.com/pnpcbc/status/987084885721415681?s=21

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, actually, it is, in that citizenship represents loyalty to the country. What's not a helpful answer is "I pay taxes, therefore I should get to vote," especially coming from people who otherwise rightfully decry trading money for influence.

this country fuckin sucks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

is there anything more pathetic than people trying to valourize Canadian citizenship who received it at birth

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

How much citizenship does one need to reach old stock Canadianship?

Asking for a friend

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

How much citizenship does one need to reach old stock Canadianship?

Asking for a friend

You need the “white” kind of citizenship if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DariusLikewise posted:

You need the “white” kind of citizenship if you know what I mean.

When God-Emperor Scheer is running the show and the purges start happening I just want for all my non-white Canadian born citizens to know that we'll meet up in the camps and huddle around the big flaming barrels for warmth during the wintry apocalypse mid-august while I dice up onions for our juicy rat burgers.