Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, for instance, The Saint was on ITV from 1962 to 1969 while The Avengers was on "ITV/ABC/Thames" from 1961 to 1969. How would that affect a hypothetical TV viewer's ability to see them both in the mid-1960s?

Well, ABC and Rediffusion merged to become Thames, so that would explain that. It's possible it just means it's an ABC/Thames production, rather than being an indicator of where it was shown.

Edit: Just read the Wiki, yeah it says about ABC becoming Thames and I think it says ITV/ABC/Thames just because that what's been entered in by the article author.

Essentially the regions could take control of transmitters themselves, or can show an incoming (think network, say ITN) feed. There was much more regional variations in those days compared to today.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

In fact for maximum nerdery that Thames/Carlton switchover from 1993 shows this process perfectly. The little preview window with the colour bars turns into a running VT clock for the ITN programme opening graphics, and then gets switched to air @ 2m01 (so you see it move from that preview monitor to the programme-out monitor next to it). ITN would have been an outside source via BT Tower (probably) and then onto Thames, cut to air, and then fed back out to the transmitters via the ITA/IBA/NTL/Arquiva/whatever-it-is-now links.

Edit: https://twitter.com/marklipscomb/status/947600896569036800

Essentially what I'm saying is that there was a hell of a lot of scope for regional variations back in the day, and basically nothing now (there's a Northern and Southern ITV feed essentially, plus the regions but only really for news). I have nothing to do at work for the next hour so get your advanced tv nerd questions in.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 18, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Northern and Southern ITV feed?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, section 4.7 in this document explains better than I can : http://www.primetv.com/GetFile.aspx?Guid=09fddfd1-acc9-40e4-9994-92924c66ca29

Essentially it acts as redundancy as well. It’s all a product of the ITV consolidation over the years and the merging together of certain regions technical services.

Edit: as in if STC ever shits the bed they can I think route the NTC to the southern transmitters etc

Edit 2: actually looks like Network shows are delivered direct to NTC, but if it’s prerecorded the tape/file/whatever will be sent to both TCs for obvious reasons.

Man, what is this? Digital Spy? Sorry, everyone.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/986704059875954688

End of an era.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

The_Doctor posted:

London Goons of an age will remember Thames TV giving way to LWT on Friday nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXLmWJLPkOE

You’ve just reminded me of how much I used to love and also hate the cheesy opening credits for London Tonight. https://youtu.be/Z6TWbcXdm9s They remind me of Brasseye/Eye on Springfield.

drat, RIP Dale. Not so old either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bit sudden.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He's sweeping those supermarkets up in the sky :(

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sales of spray-tan plummet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Sales of spray-tan plummet.

Nah, that won't happen till TOWIE gets cancelled (and not a moment too soon).

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Remember, a celebrity death isn't official until Limmy announces it

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/986714272800616449

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wanted to watch his Florida series recently, and all the comments I saw online was how it looked like he was struggling to walk :(

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The_Doctor posted:

That’s Roger and the Rottentrolls. Although I remember a more realistic goat headed puppet.

I think they were sheep, not goats. I remember because they got their own one-off episode, "Combat Sheep", which for some reason aired on the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbWXeRgPv0

Which was great, btw. It's got Burnside from The Bill in it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
There was another puppet show from back then that i've always had trouble remembering.

The bits i recall were that it was a family of puppets and they were running/looking after a hotel that might or might not have been horror themed (it might have just been not a very nice hotel to stay in). I also think this might have been a spin off from another show that originallly starred the puppets, but the main one was maybe the 'dad' of the family and was a but Chuckyesque/mean.

Anyone else remember this?

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Kin posted:

There was another puppet show from back then that i've always had trouble remembering.

The bits i recall were that it was a family of puppets and they were running/looking after a hotel that might or might not have been horror themed (it might have just been not a very nice hotel to stay in). I also think this might have been a spin off from another show that originallly starred the puppets, but the main one was maybe the 'dad' of the family and was a but Chuckyesque/mean.

Anyone else remember this?

Dizzy Heights Hotel
- live action, like a children's Fawlty Towers but one of the families was a grotesque set of puppets - like the Spitting Image ones?

The father always reminded me of Prince Charles.

A bit of googling revealed that they had a spin off - The House of Gristle which was spooky/horror themed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was watching some Not the Nine O'Clock News clips on YouTube. This one is still my favourite. Just because of that last line.

"Organising plump discos, I suspect!"

Man, that was what was considering overweight back then. Almost everyone I know is heavier than those two.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

The only goblin-y one I remember is Five Children and It. The 90s were terrible for puppets. Both the Riddlers and the Rottentrolls had ugly as gently caress, creepy characters.

Wolverhampton Art Gallery recently had an exhibition of puppets, I got to see the Psammead (or whoever the heck it is spelt) up close.

Enjoy your dreams tonight folks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It looks like a Boglin.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I had Vlobb, the best Boglin.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rondette posted:

Wolverhampton Art Gallery recently had an exhibition of puppets, I got to see the Psammead (or whoever the heck it is spelt) up close.

I always thought it was cute!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can you think of anything worse to look at on television than Britain's Brightest Family? :gonk:

You just know half those competitive dads are going to beat their kids when they don't win.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crispix posted:

You just know half those competitive dads are going to beat their kids when they don't win.

I am instantly reminded:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rondette posted:

That’s not the one from the 90s TV version is it, must be the more recent remake.

Looks way burlier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wooger posted:

That’s not the one from the 90s TV version is it, must be the more recent remake.

Looks way burlier.

I think it’s just lost a lot of its fur.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know the details of when the handmaid’s tale season 2 is being shown in the UK?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not straight away seems to be the official line at the the moment.

Taskmaster USA starts tomorrow, I haven't found an confirmation if/where it's airing over hear. Our 6 starts next week.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The Chuckle Brothers are getting a Sunday night show on Channel 5. A suitably classy network.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Diss the Chuckles, receive my knuckles.

To you!

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am instantly reminded:

It kinda makes me sad that this dude is going downas "sore loser who stormed off when he got beat by some kids" because while yes that is kinda what happened by all accounts the behemoth team are super nice guys and they've basically been involved in robot wars since the beginning and were massively inportant in keeping robot fighting an actual thing people did for all the years it wasn't on tv.
They've also kinda flopped out in almost every series without achieving their robots potential and that was a fight that like they really should have won except the team decided to try out a different scoop in that fight that really didn't work out and they flopped out again, and he was the only one who argued against it. So he was pissed at his own team, not the opposition.
Which yeah is still more serious than you should really take Robot Wars, and it's still a funny GIF, i'm not going to cry about it. I just saw a chance to type words about robots and couldn't resist

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not straight away seems to be the official line at the the moment.

Well that won’t backfire at all. Do we even know if it will be on channel 4?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pablo Bluth posted:

Taskmaster USA starts tomorrow, I haven't found an confirmation if/where it's airing over hear. Our 6 starts next week.

Just spotted the first two episodes are on comedy central's website too, wonder how long they've been there. Confirms they're made for a 30 minute time slot so it's definitely not going to be as loose as the UK one, which is a shame.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

It kinda makes me sad that this dude is going downas "sore loser who stormed off when he got beat by some kids" because while yes that is kinda what happened by all accounts the behemoth team are super nice guys and they've basically been involved in robot wars since the beginning and were massively inportant in keeping robot fighting an actual thing people did for all the years it wasn't on tv.
They've also kinda flopped out in almost every series without achieving their robots potential and that was a fight that like they really should have won except the team decided to try out a different scoop in that fight that really didn't work out and they flopped out again, and he was the only one who argued against it. So he was pissed at his own team, not the opposition.
Which yeah is still more serious than you should really take Robot Wars, and it's still a funny GIF, i'm not going to cry about it. I just saw a chance to type words about robots and couldn't resist

Sorry, I thought that was the team who bought Dantomkia because I heard the guy in charge of that lot was kind of an rear end in a top hat. My mistake.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A review of Taskmaster US
http://buzzerblog.com/2018/04/24/taskmaster-usa-the-fan-review/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m glad that covers my main issue, which is run time. I’m not surprised the prize bit got hit the most, it’s a shame as it’s one of my favorite parts.

Reggie seems out of place as host, he seems a good dude but I’ve never found him particularly funny. I’d have preferred someone like Paul F Tompkins in the role.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
HIGNFY was spectacularly bad this evening. I don't know how it keeps on considering that both Ian and Paul clearly stopped giving any fucks years ago.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Button manages to be both terrible and glorious at the same time.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 27, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sorry, I thought that was the team who bought Dantomkia because I heard the guy in charge of that lot was kind of an rear end in a top hat. My mistake.

The guy who bought and fought with Dantomkia is and was a prick iirc. And the robot that he actually made (instead of buying formerly successful ones) really sucked.

The Behemoth guy (and his team, bc they're changeable) is a nice guy but also kind of a manchild so on the one hand yay thank you Anthony for helping with robots in the UK, on the other hand haha way to look like an rear end in a top hat on TV. It's okay to laugh at it, because even if he didn't storm off set on TV because he lost to children, he still stormed off set on TV, thereby loving his chances that Behemoth will ever be taken seriously again (and it's still a boring poo poo tank).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m glad that covers my main issue, which is run time. I’m not surprised the prize bit got hit the most, it’s a shame as it’s one of my favorite parts.

Reggie seems out of place as host, he seems a good dude but I’ve never found him particularly funny. I’d have preferred someone like Paul F Tompkins in the role.

I adore Reggie Watts but I really don’t see him as a natural fit for something like this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had chance to watch the first episode of Taskmaster US. It didn’t work too badly in a half hour slot, the opening bit is waaaay short now. Cast I still don’t care about that much (except Ron Funches, who’s just the best) but the comedians are all at least ok. Still not sure why Dillon Francis or Freddie Highmore are on it rather than the usual Comedy Central staples but hey, they’re fine. I miss the snark of a Greg, Reggie just isn’t really right for the role as expected but that probably won’t be an issue for those going in fresh. The house they do the tasks at is great, and I like the set for the panel bit.

Overall probably at the higher end of expectations and we’ll see if it picks up an audience here (probably not, but at least they tried).

Thought it was interesting that there was a disqualification in the basketball game that was really similar to one in the UK version. Probably just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Cunk on Britain is a good thing on TV :thumbsup: