Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:same: It's a fantastic series and as fine a place to start Lupin as any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dogsicle posted:

i started with it and had a great time, though yeah it is a unique series that doesn't match tonally with about anything other than Jigen's Gravestone

There's also Goemon's Blood Spray, which is the third work in that continuity.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also Goemon's Blood Spray, which is the third work in that continuity.

I haven't seen it yet and didn't want to assume, but that's good to hear!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you get to see fujiko do a sick bong rip so thats how i started my lupin adventure

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Is part 3 actually not well regarded? Everything I've heard.from people who have watched it sounds good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Is part 3 actually not well regarded? Everything I've heard.from people who have watched it sounds good

no i think there are people out there who dislike it but i never got the impression that it was worth taking that information and avoiding part 3 based on it, especially when some criticisms i've seen of individual eps is stuff like "it's too goofy."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

part 3 definitely had a negative connotation attached to it before more animation-oriented people really came out in admiration of it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Part 3 gets an unfair rep because for the longest time the only pink jacket Lupin available in legible English was a real divisive movie.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I've only seen Part 2 that they used to air on Adult Swim (and it wasn't even all of Part 2, i think, just the front half or so), and then a little bit of Part 1 when i learned CR had it available, and Castle of Cagliostro whcih was great. Really my experience is most of the stuff is pretty standalone and you can jump in wherever it looks most interesting to start

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i also didnt realize Miyazaki was involved with the later part of Part 1, I thought he just did Castle of Cagliostro

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RME posted:

i also didnt realize Miyazaki was involved with the later part of Part 1, I thought he just did Castle of Cagliostro

yeah, the production breakdown of Part 1 is a bit odd but a majority of it was directed by Miyazaki and Takahata, and then Miyazaki did Cagliostro and a couple episodes of Part 2.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fujiko Mine is as good of a place to start modern Lupin as part 4 and 5 have some of the edge the series had.

I'm actually a bit more cool on Castle and other Miyazaki Lupin these days as while it's good his Lupin really feels like more of a good guy than a theif

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Does (color) jacket refer to box colors, an official name for a series, or literal clothing?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Literal color of lupin's jacket in a given season.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Motto posted:

Literal color of lupin's jacket in a given season.

Thanks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Part 1 - Green Jacket
Part 2 - Red Jacket (the iconic one)
Part 3 - Pink Jacket
Parts 4 & 5 - Blue Jacket

and he mostly if not exclusively wears the green jacket in Woman Called Fujiko Mine

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jigen's Gravestone is really great and is a good thing to watch even if you only have passing familiarity with Lupin. I liked what I saw of Fujiko Mine as well but just can't sustain a full series watch of Lupin even a short one.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I started Lupin with Fujiko Mine like three years ago (maybe more) and I still haven't finished it but it's v good imo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm the rare Fujiko Mine series hater. It's not bad, but it's not what I expect out of a Lupin series. It's overall, more tonally dark and serious compared to other Lupin stuff so I wouldn't say it's at all representative of Lupin as a whole.

Also Fujiko having sex with Zenigata feels just a touch out of character for the detective.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito posted:

Jigen's Gravestone is really great and is a good thing to watch even if you only have passing familiarity with Lupin.

The drill-rape robot was a bit off-putting, to be honest.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 20, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wasn't a big fan of the fujiko-in-distress fanservice stuff but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fujiko Mine always seemed more like a Golgo 13 spinoff. Did it air the same year as the last one of those or something or is my brain just damaged? Maybe I've just seen too much goofball Lupin and can't shake it.

Also I watched Otaku Deserve Loneliness and it seems fine. I like how the OP is mostly just garbage snapchat poo poo the nerds would have made themselves.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

week 3: the ed girl from gurazeni still hasn't appeared. im growing desperate and morale is low, send help

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the relief pitcher thing was an analogy for her appearance in the show too

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Hello everynyan, famous and beloved anime short Aggressive Retsuko aka Aggretsuko got turned into a full season of 15 minute episodes on Netflix! Check it out!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

K. Flaps posted:

Hello everynyan, famous and beloved anime short Aggressive Retsuko aka Aggretsuko got turned into a full season of 15 minute episodes on Netflix! Check it out!
:yeah:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile off in Kids anime we have Hastune Miku, Train Robot Pilot -

https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_DBZ/status/987460223626547207

If you told me back in 2010 Miku would be in almost every kids show I would of laughed but here we are

https://twitter.com/kasumi1973/status/987474841925177344

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

K. Flaps posted:

The first episode is about accidentally wearing your Crocs to work.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

K. Flaps posted:

It is the most Millennial Anime I've ever seen

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hinamatsuri continues to be the top tier surprise of the season.

Poor Hina though. Food poisoning is no fun. Stop poking my dad instincts!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
What the heck. I just watched the first ep of Hinamatsuri and it was cute as heck.

I hope it continues being cute, I don't have a cute anim right now.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Viridiant posted:

What the heck. I just watched the first ep of Hinamatsuri and it was cute as heck.

I hope it continues being cute, I don't have a cute anim right now.

Its probably the best of the season so far, and I don't see that going away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Its probably the best of the season so far, and I don't see that going away.

Counterargument: In Megalobox, dudes get punched HELLUVA hard.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: In Megalobox, dudes get punched HELLUVA hard.

Its a really good season.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/21q0pb.webm
Hisone is an amazing dork :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
HisoMaso continues to be great, as of episode 2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nao is the best character in HisoMaso

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The true nature of Squid Jam in GGO is revealed in episode 3.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 21, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tom Clancy is dead though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tom Cuhlancy

• Locked thread