Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Run Task manager and see what is causing the I/O strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In addition to nailing down what the hell is using the HD non stop, you can recover Office keys from 2010 and before with https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
2013 and above associate with your MS account, so you can log in and download and install them whenever: https://www.office.com/myaccount

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Rexxed posted:

In addition to nailing down what the hell is using the HD non stop, you can recover Office keys from 2010 and before with https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
2013 and above associate with your MS account, so you can log in and download and install them whenever: https://www.office.com/myaccount

The non 365 versions don't associate with your MS Account; at least Office 2016 doesn't. You'll have to manually keep track of it (there is probably a utility for this too). I've actually had huge issues trying to keep Office 2016 activated and I've begged MS to allow me to associate it with my MS Account but they refuse. This is through the MS HUP thing, so that might a reason for that too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Raldikuk posted:

The non 365 versions don't associate with your MS Account; at least Office 2016 doesn't. You'll have to manually keep track of it (there is probably a utility for this too). I've actually had huge issues trying to keep Office 2016 activated and I've begged MS to allow me to associate it with my MS Account but they refuse. This is through the MS HUP thing, so that might a reason for that too.

That's weird, I just installed 2016 for a client and had to login and give MS the key to activate it on their website. After install I had to log into their MS account to activate office.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Its Office 2016, and unfortunately this laptop used to be my dead father-in-laws, so I have no idea what MS account is associated with the keys. For what's causing the disk usage, I'm trying to duplicate that now without much luck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do you need Office office? OpenOffice was compatible enough to get me through college. I think it's defunct now but there are successors.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gave up on Office entirely after 2016 activation/keys/accounts whatever. I just don't care anymore personally. If i need to make a document I'll use something simple because no one even cares about formatting anymore. It's all downhill from here.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

Do you need Office office? OpenOffice was compatible enough to get me through college. I think it's defunct now but there are successors.

Yes, unfortunately.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Rexxed posted:

That's weird, I just installed 2016 for a client and had to login and give MS the key to activate it on their website. After install I had to log into their MS account to activate office.

I've been trying to find something online to back up my experience, but it seems everyone has the opposite trouble. It forces them to make an account and there's no other way. What sucks is that after about a day of usage it forgets that it is activated and I have to go through the activation process again (just inputting the key and clicking activate), I've used MS tech support but they've been useless. I did just find the office set up page, so I'll try that later to see if maybe the MS reps just didn't know what the gently caress (very likely).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ItBreathes posted:

It’s not technically defunct - which is actually bad, because people who don’t know better still find it by name, try using it, rightfully decide it’s terrible, and switch back to Office without finding out about LibreOffice.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I just buy those Office 2016 One click install keys on eBay. You get all updates like on Office364 and they work fine until you replace a computer, but they're like 5€ so i don't mind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Check with your employer too, a lot of companies are partners with Microsoft and your can get the Home Use Program (HUP) which let's you get a full version of Office for $10

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Check with your employer too, a lot of companies are partners with Microsoft and your can get the Home Use Program (HUP) which let's you get a full version of Office for $10

Hilarious: http://www.msftadvisors.com/the-most-expensive-10-copy-of-microsoft-office-youll-never-own/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It still allows the person at home to only pay :10bux:. The costs to the company are between the company and Microsoft.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah and these days nobody does HUP anymore, just activate it with your work Office 365 account.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Jeoh posted:

Yeah and these days nobody does HUP anymore, just activate it with your work Office 365 account.

Sure they do. All of the UK public sector pretty much does.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is malice or incompetence, but :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dont be mean to me posted:

It still allows the person at home to only pay :10bux:. The costs to the company are between the company and Microsoft.

I don't know where they're getting their costs from, but I can tell you Government (which probably makes up most of the HUP these days) doesn't pay even close to that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our users use HUP but we don’t have 365.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Before I quit I got in on HUP Office 2016 :getin:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just had to replace the motherboard/processor/memory in my computer and now Windows 10 doesn't consider itself activated. I originally installed 10 Pro using a 7 Pro key.

What are my options to get licensed back up affordably?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just call them. They give no fucks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GreenNight posted:

Just call them. They give no fucks.

My motherboard went poo poo shaped, they just activated the replacement online from online chat. (different brand / board)

Super painless.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just got a Win10 laptop, anybody got a favorite link for things to gently caress with on a fresh install?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Couldn't find an online chat. But somewhere in hitting troubleshoot and typing in my Windows 7 in SLUI and it suddenly says it is activated.

So, I guess it worked?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ItBreathes posted:

Just got a Win10 laptop, anybody got a favorite link for things to gently caress with on a fresh install?

Don't gently caress with things just because some rando online tells you to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

Mostly I delete all the stupid loving games MS bundles with 10. Maybe load Classic shell if you like that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ItBreathes posted:

You could always rephrase this as " How to make Win10 as much like Win7 as possible"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ItBreathes posted:

I use spybot antibeacon to pretend like I have some control over my privacy in Win10. At the very least it's the easiest way I've found to just disable cortana as much as possible. It doesn't negatively affect anything else in Windows (as far as I can tell).

Also, the first thing I always do when I reinstall is open file explorer, right click Quick access, select Options, and make it open directly to This PC instead of Quick Access when you open File Explorer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mostly I just like loving with things. This is just a browser / steam on the go machine, I could care less about pretty much anything it's actually doing, though if there's a way to bring back some dignity to the start menu I actively want that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

Mostly I just like loving with things. This is just a browser / steam on the go machine, I could care less about pretty much anything it's actually doing, though if there's a way to bring back some dignity to the start menu I actively want that.

Do the stuff in my post to start with. Also, Classic shell apparently lets you uninstall the normally (not easily) uninstallable built in apps. Just right click whatever app and uninstall.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

if there's a way to bring back some dignity to the start menu I actively want that.

What does this even mean.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's so crammed full of ads and trialware that it feels like I'm looking at a banner ad on some ftp mobile game every time I open it, though I've already deleted most of the included games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can turn off suggested apps in Settings; I can appreciate that the extra apps they stuff in are pretty obnoxious, though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do people actually stare at the Start Menu these days?

WinKey + start typing + mash enter. I don't even bother to look anymore.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I use some tiles organized in groups by purpose. Not many things with live tiles though.
Reason is many of the programs I need have annoying names that work poorly with search.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I use the tiles when I'm in mouse-mode (e.g. open up a browser to click on bookmarks) and the search when I'm in typing-mode (e.g. open command prompt to start punching in commands). Basically split according to where am I going to need my hands to be when using the application.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use the full-screen start menu on my desktop.

It works well, but sometimes it's needlessly complicated to put things on the start menu that aren't UWP apps.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

These are the things I have to have on a fresh install:

WinAero Tweaker (particularly its anti-ad options and the ability to set the inactive titlebar colour)
7+ Taskbar Tweaker (particularly the option to remove the minimum width limit on a vertical taskbar)
StartIsBack
T-Clock Redux
Windows 7 Games for Win10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
May I also suggest adding Old Calculator From Windows 7/8 For Windows 10? The Windows 10 calculator is an anti-productivity, single-tasking abomination.