Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lynx posted:

The "YEEEEAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!" death cry really is the gift that keeps on giving.

YEEEEAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!gah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

double nine posted:

This video contains content from CPRAgency for Belga Films, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

rest is cool though.
[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kxtfqv5v0idqaf/
John%20Wick%20with%20Deus%20Ex%20sound%20effects.mp4?dl=0[/url]

You have to merge the lines.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kxtfqv5v0idqaf/
John%20Wick%20with%20Deus%20Ex%20sound%20effects.mp4?dl=0[/url]

You have to merge the lines.

you didn't have to do that. But I appreciate it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Been playing around more with Revision and it's actually gotten a lot better. I'm enjoying it so far and haven't found anything too questionable.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Those videos are magic. I'm watching the john wick one and it's just killing me.

D.J. Booger
Jul 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qoZvcwvjA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did something happen to the Mankind Divided thread? I have been digging through the forums and can't find it.I bought this game at launch but never installed it, so I finally got around to doing so, and wow, it is not optimized very well for PC. Maybe I've been spoiled by id Tech 6 being an absolute trooper of a game engine, but the Dawn Engine is really bloated.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did something happen to the Mankind Divided thread? I have been digging through the forums and can't find it.I bought this game at launch but never installed it, so I finally got around to doing so, and wow, it is not optimized very well for PC. Maybe I've been spoiled by id Tech 6 being an absolute trooper of a game engine, but the Dawn Engine is really bloated.

I think this is the MD thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711924

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ah, archives.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

After the first two acts, the thread ended unexpectedly, disappointing everyone. Square Enix cancelled the followup thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I finally made it past the Dubai intro. I just ran around punching people and saving Singh by knocking him out before dropping the chopper.
This was followed by a ten minute cutscene that could have rivaled the opening to Homefront for forced pathos. At least the walk and talk in human Revolution was before the main gameplay started, but Dubai was a pretty bad cold open.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

This was followed by a ten minute cutscene that could have rivaled the opening to Homefront for forced pathos.

i straight up quit and uninstalled there. can't say i regret it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I seem to recall liking the gameplay, though. There was some nice stealthing to be had.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Prav posted:

I don't know what the hell happened, since I felt that, while hamfisted, Human Revolution walked a pretty fine tightrope of not coming down on either side of the augmentation debate. It presented the world as-is and left people to draw their own conclusions. I would have liked if the game had gone more in depth with the whole augmentation debate beyond surface level stuff, but at least the plot of the game was decent if thematically weightless.

In Mankind Divided, you're dropped right into the action with zero context, and even the recap video doesn't help very much. And then after the clumsy tutorial, you get the walk and talk cutscene where it felt like a teenager writing fanfiction about the BLM movement but with cyborgs.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 16, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MD just makes me so sad. The hub is one of the best-designed areas of its kind in all of gaming, most of the combat, movement, shooting, exploration, and gameplay in general is tight and fluid. And then the story and writing both completely poo poo the bed. The game wasn't completed, and what is completed is ham-fisted, both the main plot and all non-critical writing. I remains the only DX game I have not played multiple times.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Mankind Divided, you're dropped right into the action with zero context, and even the recap video doesn't help very much.

It's ok you only have to read the tie-in novel. :shepface:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GUI posted:

And the lovely mobile game!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GUI posted:

No you don't. I didn't even know there was a tie-in novel until right now and I never felt lost during the opening: you work for a special task force now, you're doing a mission for them to apprehend a bad guy, poo poo goes bad unexpectedly and the new big bads are introduced. Everything else you can infer from context, get told later, or isn't included because it doesn't matter.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, everything except "Who the gently caress is this woman and why are we talking like best friends from forever ago even though she wasn't in the last game and makes allusions to a shared history I know nothing about."

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The problem I had with the writing- and it is a huge one - was not the jarring jump. A bit awkward but I could digest it. My problem was how augs are depicted as if they are any other mistreated minority from history. Aside from the obvious problems with drawing the parallel between historical disenfranchised groups superhumans who can be hacked and go crazy, that the writers did that is loving lazy and uninteresting. Good sci fi would look at that and explore how the sci fi aspects of the world transform that familiar phenomenon.

I still overall enjoyed the game aside from the abrupt ending. But both MD and HR's writing were lightyears behind Deus Ex; I like them as independent games but they fail as successors. Actually I thought IW's writing was far more in keeping with the first game and that it had some interesting ideas. Pity it was let down by the game around it.

I can only pray Arkane continues its current glory run and makes a DX historical successor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The big issue I see is how the game fails to make the distinction between working class augments and the rich ones. If the game drew attention to the fact that it is the poor augs, the ones who signed contracts to get them implanted so they wouldn't lose their jobs, being the ones subjugated while the rich augs still enjoy comfortable lives, they might have had a point. It would have made a much clearer distinction that class warfare knows no physical bounds, since poor augs get treated just as shittily as the non augmented they replace. Except the non augments still hate the other poor augs for taking "mah jobz", so you have people getting poo poo on by every corner of society, while the rich stay in power regardless of whether they were augmented or not.

But then they wouldn't be able to do MECHANICAL APARTHEID, because every augmented person has to be persecuted and not make a commentary on how, no matter if they're mechanical or not, the rich will always gently caress over the poor guy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then they wouldn't be able to do MECHANICAL APARTHEID, because every augmented person has to be persecuted and not make a commentary on how, no matter if they're mechanical or not, the rich will always gently caress over the poor guy.
Yes, the problem with MECHANICAL APARTHEID is definitely how it forgoes the class metaphor in favor of a race metaphor. Nailed the issue right on the head, buddy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus, the Illuminati really don't give a poo poo about race to begin with. They're a global conglomerate of scheming James Bond villains of all stripes and ethnicities. Why would they want a racism metaphor to help control the world when they can do it through banks and fearmongering? Augments are being scapegoated, sure, but throwing ten percent of the planet under the bus seems bad for business considering how massive augmentations had been for the past fifteen years. Why would they let a MECHANICAL APARTHEID event happen? How does that benefit them when guys like Darrow and Page are augmented already? Deus Ex has always been about class struggle, so throwing a forced racism metaphor over top of that makes the whole thing collapse.

Increased police presence, I get. Disarmament of military augments, I get. Registration for augments, I get. But ghettos, purges and a magical aug city in the desert ala District 9? Are you serious? Clanks as a racial slur when you already had people calling augments "Augs" and "Hanzers" in the last game? Power armored police troopers to act as your faceless mooks? Come on, there's being pointed and contemporary and then there's being so on the nose you are the nose and the face and you've just been hit with a frying pan.

They should have started pushing for stuff like Taggart's aug registration bill while biotech companies begin probing the markets with the nanomachine augmentations of the first game, not putting up MECHANICAL APARTHEID.

It's becoming harder and harder to see how the Square Enix published Deus Ex games filter into the old games, because nothing in them ultimately matters twenty years down the line.

Also, visually, the Human Revolution and Mankind Divided games feel incredibly pretentious. Not the aesthetic itself, I like the neo art-deco black and gold. It's the visual language of the games that drive me up the wall. The Icarus metaphor makes no goddamn sense but they use it because it looks cool. Riots in the streets and pulled-from-the-headlines newscast footage without any substance to back it up. It's Evangelion levels of bullshit in video game form.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 17, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does every character sound so bored or in Miller's case downright awful?
Also it seems they got the same person who animated conversations in the last game to come back. Everyone moves and talks like they're fighting Parkinson's disease. And there are huge pauses in dialogue like the game is struggling to activate the dialogue response cue on time.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Prav posted:

I actually stopped halfway through that helicopter fight when everything was filled full of dust so you couldn't see. After that and the weird mobile phone integration thing that wanted to to take pictures (if I remember), I got turned off pretty quick. I'd imagine it'll be fun when I eventually play it, but that was a bad first impression.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

the weird mobile phone integration thing that wanted to to take pictures

A part of the ARG that the app was for involved scanning these triangle glyphs that showed up in a bunch of websites. They're also a collectible in the game itself.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus, the Illuminati really don't give a poo poo about race to begin with. They're a global conglomerate of scheming James Bond villains of all stripes and ethnicities. Why would they want a racism metaphor to help control the world when they can do it through banks and fearmongering? Augments are being scapegoated, sure, but throwing ten percent of the planet under the bus seems bad for business considering how massive augmentations had been for the past fifteen years. Why would they let a MECHANICAL APARTHEID event happen? How does that benefit them when guys like Darrow and Page are augmented already? Deus Ex has always been about class struggle, so throwing a forced racism metaphor over top of that makes the whole thing collapse.

Increased police presence, I get. Disarmament of military augments, I get. Registration for augments, I get. But ghettos, purges and a magical aug city in the desert ala District 9? Are you serious? Clanks as a racial slur when you already had people calling augments "Augs" and "Hanzers" in the last game? Power armored police troopers to act as your faceless mooks? Come on, there's being pointed and contemporary and then there's being so on the nose you are the nose and the face and you've just been hit with a frying pan.

They should have started pushing for stuff like Taggart's aug registration bill while biotech companies begin probing the markets with the nanomachine augmentations of the first game, not putting up MECHANICAL APARTHEID.

It's becoming harder and harder to see how the Square Enix published Deus Ex games filter into the old games, because nothing in them ultimately matters twenty years down the line.

Also, visually, the Human Revolution and Mankind Divided games feel incredibly pretentious. Not the aesthetic itself, I like the neo art-deco black and gold. It's the visual language of the games that drive me up the wall. The Icarus metaphor makes no goddamn sense but they use it because it looks cool. Riots in the streets and pulled-from-the-headlines newscast footage without any substance to back it up. It's Evangelion levels of bullshit in video game form.

I've been trying to play through the games, but with HR not running right on Win10 and me not being able to fix it, I had to play through MD instead (FFS, Square, fix your games).

I honestly don't see how well they expect these games to age. I feel like I just can't be invested when the original is just more interested and subtle than a game with 100 times its budget. Non of the people writing this game or doing art seem to have any real life experience outside of school and their jobs and probably their Canadian uptown Steakhouse gathering.

Also, the engine chokes up on me sometimes. DX12 integration doesn't work half the time on my i9 GTX1080Ti and it's weird. DX11 is more stable though.

I guess Adam is kind of charming in his very unsocial and sarcastic way, but I don't really give a poo poo about him anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The storyline for both of the Eidos Deux Ex games are not going to age well, but the gameplay and level design is great. Even if the story and writing all all over the place and veer hard towards negative, They're still incredibly fun games to just explore the world and gently caress around with incidental stuff. Last night I did a bank heist mission for a bunch of paranoid conspiracy nut publishers and it was great darting around and cold clocking guards and stuffing them into vents. I just wish they would get rid of the goddamn battery system because that is some of the most tedious inventory management I've played in an RPG.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Guy Mann posted:

A part of the ARG that the app was for involved scanning these triangle glyphs that showed up in a bunch of websites. They're also a collectible in the game itself.

It's not really AR if you're sitting in front of your computer the whole time, is it? AR interacts with the real physical world somehow. This is just a really inefficient way of communication between your phone and computer.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Been playing around more with Revision and it's actually gotten a lot better. I'm enjoying it so far and haven't found anything too questionable.

Have they put the aug upgrade canisters back on Realistic? Because that was the dealbreaker for me, and "its Realistic and so there should be less fun things for you to do in the early game" made me surprisingly pissed off, when it came from the mod author.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I've been trying to play through the games, but with HR not running right on Win10 and me not being able to fix it, I had to play through MD instead (FFS, Square, fix your games).

I honestly don't see how well they expect these games to age. I feel like I just can't be invested when the original is just more interested and subtle than a game with 100 times its budget. Non of the people writing this game or doing art seem to have any real life experience outside of school and their jobs and probably their Canadian uptown Steakhouse gathering.

Also, the engine chokes up on me sometimes. DX12 integration doesn't work half the time on my i9 GTX1080Ti and it's weird. DX11 is more stable though.

I guess Adam is kind of charming in his very unsocial and sarcastic way, but I don't really give a poo poo about him anymore.

The commentary tracks for the HR director's cut are highly revealing. All the staff are really, really intelligent and interesting. All the managers and producers are incredibly oblivious meatballs getting high on their own piss. Literally half the staff commentary nodes are "we had this great idea, but the producers either spiked it for time or else Eidos trained us to the Unreal engine which was basically incapable of anything other than a straight FPS with stealth elements, but listen, the original idea we had was really cool okay??"

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Willie Tomg posted:

Have they put the aug upgrade canisters back on Realistic? Because that was the dealbreaker for me, and "its Realistic and so there should be less fun things for you to do in the early game" made me surprisingly pissed off, when it came from the mod author.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to play this on Realistic. Really easy to die in Revision tbh, easier than on OG DX.

Willie Tomg posted:

The commentary tracks for the HR director's cut are highly revealing. All the staff are really, really intelligent and interesting. All the managers and producers are incredibly oblivious meatballs getting high on their own piss. Literally half the staff commentary nodes are "we had this great idea, but the producers either spiked it for time or else Eidos trained us to the Unreal engine which was basically incapable of anything other than a straight FPS with stealth elements, but listen, the original idea we had was really cool okay??"

Too bad I can't play the game, either original release or DC, thanks to the game being really finnicky with Win10 and no solution is working for me. Probably the only Deus Ex game I can't play, considering there are actual ways of running DX and IW on modern systems.

I'd very much like to hear every single commentary track.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Honestly, I'm hesitant to play this on Realistic. Really easy to die in Revision tbh, easier than on OG DX.

Too bad I can't play the game, either original release or DC, thanks to the game being really finnicky with Win10 and no solution is working for me. Probably the only Deus Ex game I can't play, considering there are actual ways of running DX and IW on modern systems.

I'd very much like to hear every single commentary track.

There's a playlist LP here, from a goon smart enough to hush up while there's content going if you're just absolutely dying to kill the time at some point. Even scrubbing through it quick, the opening walk is triggering me a little, lol

Mary Demarle: A lot of the augmentation discussion in early development among the team came from Vasili's arm, because it involved a lot of conversations about augmentation in the white-collar workplace while also visually setting up a major plot point in the third act
Jean-Francois Phuccphais: That's why we show the arm! Oh, here's an explosion.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

While I'm not super surprised to hear that the employees are passionate and intelligent while the management is risk averse businessmen (this happens a lot) a bit confused by the latter bit. Neither game uses Unreal, and even if it did, Unreal supports a pretty staggering amount of games- including the first Deus Ex, so everything that is possible in DX1 would be possible in a DX game made in the modern Unreal engine.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You're right. I'd refer you to the commentary rather than my imperfect recollection of such, but there were a lot of really cool things that according to the dev commentary had to get scrubbed because the engine simply couldn't support it. Particularly the size and persistence of the two hubs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember them saying it was console limitations. Or the engine designed for consoles and hence it's limitations. This might be selective memory because poo poo like this is why I blame consoles for everything though.

Specifically I remember them talking about The Hive and how they wanted to have a sweet club with a dance floor but thanks to console limitations they could only have like 10 NPCs on screen at once so that's why it looks so embarrassingly lame.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well it wouldn't be the first Deus Ex game to have crippled level sizes and NPC counts thanks to console hardware limitations...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like exploring the bank in its entirety is the best fun in the game. just do that and then put it down and play something better

edit:in md

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 20, 2018

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I love how comically terrible the security is at both the bank and the prison (in the DLC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Willie Tomg posted:

I listened to a couple of hours of it and wasn't particularly impressed by the non production staff. I found their knowledge and observations to trite - the sorts of things above average intelligence but not particularly bright geeky people might know or think. Which matched up with the fairly boring writing in HR. This was a general impression from two hours of stuff I listened to six months ago so it may not be fair. In comparison the writers of the original DX clearly knew their essential liberal political philosophy as well as their conspiracy theories.