Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cythereal posted:

Spoiling this since there's some new folks to DS9 going through: take the reveal that Bashir was briefly replaced by a changeling. I, for one, felt nothing about the reveal because Bashir's usually such a minor, ancillary character there was nothing to subtly hint that something was awry.

The actor wasn’t made aware he’d been swapped out either until the reveal episode, which greatly annoyed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The actor wasn’t made aware he’d been swapped out either until the reveal episode, which greatly annoyed him.

judging by his earlier possession acting, I'm not sure I blame them too much

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I maintain that Bashir couldn't have been swapped for more than the space between episodes because a Founder never would have allowed the baby Changeling to die. It would have immediately broken off it's mission to bring it home and save it's life.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They should have gone totally nuts with it and had the changeling there for obviously a long, long time. Have real Julian have some huge beard and be a whole season of missed time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MillennialVulcan posted:

I maintain that Bashir couldn't have been swapped for more than the space between episodes because a Founder never would have allowed the baby Changeling to die. It would have immediately broken off it's mission to bring it home and save it's life.

Bashir was wearing the old colored-shoulder uniform in the prison camp, so he had been replaced by the changeling for at least four episodes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Bashir was wearing an older uniform because it was more comfortable for his vacation trip and because the writers needed a short-hand for "he's been gone for a while", not to indicate any specific period of time he'd been gone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the obvious time for him to be replaced is after the episode where he cured the plague on that pre-warp planet and started behind to ensure the cure was administered properly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

By the 2370s wearing outdated Starfleet uniforms to large gatherings was an underground anonymous gay sex advertising thing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm the person using spoiler text on a 25 year old show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Peachfart posted:

I'm the person using spoiler text on a 25 year old show.

Don't remind me that DS9 is 25, it makes me feel horribly mortal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dont even fink about it posted:

Don't remind me that DS9 is 25, it makes me feel horribly linear.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also by the way, Star Trek: First Contact is 10 years old at most.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

First Contact came out closer to TMP than to the present. And not by a little.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it's aged pretty well.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DS9 premiered closer to the end of TOS than to the present.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

Where's that picture of the three telepaths who worked with the mute diplomat? The mid-disintegration picture was amazingly detailed and lovingly constructed.

Hardcore

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

womb with a view posted:

S01E10 Move Along Home

I'm betting that this is not a popular episode but I absolutely loved it. Ridiculous TOS camp with mullets and super hammy Quark, gleefully shouting dumb sci-fi words about gambling. The cave scene went on way too long though, and I think the fakeouts on people dying in the game were never really believable. The hopscotch scene and everything that took place in Quark's was golden. I want the mullet aliens to come back but know in my heart that they were probably a one-off.

I maintain that Move Along Home would have been a most-beloved TOS episode if that had been Kirk, Spock, Mudd, etc. in the exact same story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey in real life scifi news some guys found 4 billion year old diamonds in a meteorite. They probably come from a planet that no longer exists.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

How dare you post this disgusting vore poo poo that HAS NO PLACE IN MY PG STAR TREKS

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

because the writers needed a short-hand for "he's been gone for a while", not to indicate any specific period of time he'd been gone.

If we start reading past what appears on screen rather than construct an air-tight narrative out of it and treating each moment of the show as canon, how will we keep Memory Alpha pure? That way lies madness

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I'm doing a partial rewatch of ds9 (Founder and Prophet eps, all season premieres and finales, plus anything featuring Garak. The soap opera exposition thing is driving me nuts. That's an aspect of 90s television that certainly has not aged well. It was especially bad at the beginning of "Apocalypse Rising" (the s5 premiere). Which is the one I just watched, and wow, I had completely forgetten the twist at the end! (Martok was the Changeling, not Gowron) What a treat!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's aged pretty well.

It was ahead of its time, now it fits right along other great serialized television.

It was built for Netflix before they had any idea

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make it work that Bashir wasn't replaced by the Changeling until they "rescued" the real Bashir, which was actually the Changeling.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Spoiling this since there's some new folks to DS9 going through: take the reveal that Bashir was briefly replaced by a changeling. I, for one, felt nothing about the reveal because Bashir's usually such a minor, ancillary character there was nothing to subtly hint that something was awry.

The best part of this is the changeling performed brain surgery on Sisko

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

The best part of this is the changeling performed brain surgery on Sisko

It's almost like retroactively making Bashir a changeling during this time was really lazy writing

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Seriously between brain surgery and letting the baby changeling die, it's better to just ignore the idea that Bashir was secretly a Founder for several episodes and just pretend there was a long gap of time between For the Uniform and In Purgatory's Shadow. It's just too stupid. Kill that author, kill him dead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

It's almost like retroactively making Bashir a changeling during this time was really lazy writing

So was making him a space autist.

He really slams that whole decision in 50-Year Mission.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Having him genetically engineered is fine, have that a secret he's been keeping, have that the reason why he's main-character level good at doctor science. But don't retcon in that all his early season awkwardness was entirely an act and he's actually a super serious half-robot man.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, there was no reason that super genes and space-dorkiness had to be mutually exclusive.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make it work that Bashir wasn't replaced by the Changeling until they "rescued" the real Bashir, which was actually the Changeling.
There were actually 10 different Bashirs over the course of the show. All Changelings.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, there was no reason that super genes and space-dorkiness had to be mutually exclusive.

hell, if anything, space-dorkiness seemed to be a pretty strong side-effect of the treatment based on the modified humans brought in for Bashir to work on

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hell, if anything, space-dorkiness seemed to be a pretty strong side-effect of the treatment based on the modified humans brought in for Bashir to work on

Exactly. How long after the Bashir reveal did the "mutants" come along? It would've worked just fine to make that all that dovetail together.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

There were actually 10 different Bashirs over the course of the show. All Changelings.

Everyone was replaced by Changelings and they kept their cover so well that they accidentally defeated themselves.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The romulan cloaking officer was a changeling. So was the cloaking device. The warp core was probably a changeling too. We do know they can move at warp, somehow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Exactly. How long after the Bashir reveal did the "mutants" come along? It would've worked just fine to make that all that dovetail together.
It was about a season or more

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

The romulan cloaking officer was a changeling. So was the cloaking device. The warp core was probably a changeling too. We do know they can move at warp, somehow.

*The Defiant suddenly turns to beige putty around the crew*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

In the end, the real changelings were the friends we impersonated along the way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Where No Man Has Gone Before. A vessel that's been missing for over two centuries? It better not be something they sent to space in the 60s with a frozen modern day human inside

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Leonard Nimoy's face is yellow as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hey this TV's border completely changed between shots