Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

I'm about 50/50 on Amazon Warehouse items being dead/broken/damaged beyond as described. Sometimes you get a screaming deal, some you get a visit to UPS to return.

I've had really good luck with them personally. Only one dud out of maybe 12 orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
And when you tell them about it they'll most likely tell you to keep whatever it is and they'll send a new one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

And when you tell them about it they'll most likely tell you to keep whatever it is and they'll send a new one.

They made me send it back (an Xbox controller) but they sent a brand new one in a sealed box so it was still a killer deal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cage posted:

That's not happened to me yet, but I'm mostly ordering electronics/components. I've been getting full refund plus freight.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm 9/10 for Amazon Warehouse being broken, or plain the wrong item.

Ordered a home theater bluetooth amp, received chinese Aliexpress-style headphones. Had to FIGHT Amazon to get a return. I had a photo of me, in my car (delivered to a locker), with the locker in the background, with the opened package and the headphones. They STILL fought tooth-and-nail for a week to block that return.

gently caress Amazon warehouse.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I've had fantastic results from Amazon Warehouse. The one time I got something (a cable for my headphones with boom mic) that was missing an accessory (the TRRS to dual TRS adapter), the rep asked me to find a comparable component on Amazon and refunded me the like 3 or 4 bucks it cost to order it. Everything else I've gotten from them has been exactly as described (e.g. small cosmetic imperfections or repackaged). Then again, I never order anything that's not described as at least "very good." I do think it's one of those things where it's entirely down to luck both with what you receive and, if you've got a problem, the Amazon rep you end up talking to.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Are there any "bad" years, or years to avoid, when shopping for a fiat 500 Abarth?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dennis McClaren posted:

Are there any "bad" years, or years to avoid, when shopping for a fiat 500 Abarth?
I'd avoid 2008(2012 in murica)-2018 imho.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nm posted:

I'd avoid 2008(2012 in murica)-2018 imho.

:lol:

Yeah :same:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ and https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ do a similar thing where they have a constant 10%/15%/20% sale going on. When the countdown finishes a new sale starts
(both companies are the same one. Its based in Germany and they've been pretty good when i've used them)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Doesn't someone on here own 2 of them or something?

I wouldn't mind a 500c Abarth, myself

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Door Frame posted:

I don't think you guys get the 2 Cyl Turbo 'Twinair' version do you?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Door Frame posted:

Eyebeem has at least one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I ordered two LED porch lights, one was an Amazon warehouse deal. The warehouse light worked perfectly and the "new" one was DOA. :downs:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

Eyebeem has at least one.

He had like loving 3 at one point. And two cmaxes. And like 10k in strollers and smug :v:

Also, re HR being glacier slow: still don't know about my promotion, because HR (which is 2 people), who work two desks over from me, and across from my boss, still haven't provided him pay details.

For two weeks, now.

This is the same HR dept that made me wait weeks before I was hired because the previous girl never sent an email that had been sitting in her drafts folder.

HR is loving retarded.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not Amazon, but I ordered 4 LED replacements for 2 of my 4' fluorescent fixtures in the garage. I didn't notice on the website that they were glass (...why?)
Not that big of a problem, unless you don't know how to pack 4' long glass tubes to survive FedEx Ground, which they didn't. 3 of the 4 were broken, one so badly the glass severed the LED strip inside. To their credit, the company is replacing them, and so far no noises about sending back the broken ones (I sent them pictures), so maybe I'll get some usable 4' long 120V LED strips out if as well. Tubes were only $6 each, plus $11 shipping.

I did power up one of the broken ones, and they appear bright enough. Match my existing T8s, at least.
Don't think I'll buy those again, though. Glass tubes are stupid if you don't *have* to have them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

He had like loving 3 at one point. And two cmaxes. And like 10k in strollers and smug :v:

Also, re HR being glacier slow: still don't know about my promotion, because HR (which is 2 people), who work two desks over from me, and across from my boss, still haven't provided him pay details.

For two weeks, now.

This is the same HR dept that made me wait weeks before I was hired because the previous girl never sent an email that had been sitting in her drafts folder.

HR is loving retarded.

HR knows they can't be fired, because who would do it?
Meanwhile, HR where I am has become expert at only informing IT when someone is hired as late as they can possibly manage. Got a ticket to deploy a machine for a new hire today. They start on Monday. Thanks, you fucks. We ask for 2 weeks heads-up, we get 2 days.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

HR knows they can't be fired, because who would do it?
Meanwhile, HR where I am has become expert at only informing IT when someone is hired as late as they can possibly manage. Got a ticket to deploy a machine for a new hire today. They start on Monday. Thanks, you fucks. We ask for 2 weeks heads-up, we get 2 days.

Oh it's the same here. But then again our IT is also utterly loving useless. If it's more complicated than a reboot, you're basically on your own with our on site guys.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Not Amazon, but I ordered 4 LED replacements for 2 of my 4' fluorescent fixtures in the garage. I didn't notice on the website that they were glass (...why?)
Not that big of a problem, unless you don't know how to pack 4' long glass tubes to survive FedEx Ground, which they didn't. 3 of the 4 were broken, one so badly the glass severed the LED strip inside. To their credit, the company is replacing them, and so far no noises about sending back the broken ones (I sent them pictures), so maybe I'll get some usable 4' long 120V LED strips out if as well. Tubes were only $6 each, plus $11 shipping.

I did power up one of the broken ones, and they appear bright enough. Match my existing T8s, at least.
Don't think I'll buy those again, though. Glass tubes are stupid if you don't *have* to have them.

With plastic housing LED tube retrofits, you have issues sometimes where the tube sags slightly over time and the terminal loses good contact.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Spent the first half of the day going to the store, buying a filing tub/organizer, and organizing all the papers of my life that have been sitting around forever. Finally, a use for the labelmaker!

Then, I made afternoon pancakes and bacon and ate all of it and now I want to sleep forever.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything

High price/Heavy promos is a strategy that actually works pretty well for a while but once people catch on or your margins become too high for the promos to work it kind of falls apart. A lot of people love to feel like they're getting a deal even if they really aren't.

It seems like that company wants to have their cake and eat it too or something by doing both :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

With plastic housing LED tube retrofits, you have issues sometimes where the tube sags slightly over time and the terminal loses good contact.

Interesting. These are my first tube replacements. Lots of normal light bulb replacements, but not my fluorescents, mainly because I bought a box of T8s from Habitat For Humanity's ReStore a while back, and the T8s last a while, so I'm still working my way through the box.
I installed a couple of my old super-cheap ($7 from Home Depot, I think) Lights Of America T12 fixtures (that were replaced by decent T8 fixtures) on my garage door so it wasn't dark in the front of the gage with the door up. The super-cheaps have really bad minimal ballasts that I want to bypass, especially since one of them is dead, with the LEDs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone got any recommendations for wheels for an F-150, probably 18x9. Looking for something that is off roadey and not douchebroey/mall crawley and from my looking so far the odds are stacked against me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

veiled boner fuel posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for wheels for an F-150, probably 18x9. Looking for something that is off roadey and not douchebroey/mall crawley and from my looking so far the odds are stacked against me.

Are you not aware of the rules?

If wheels are for a truck they need chrome fake beadlock bullshit all over the fuckin place.

Some ideas of ones that don't

Black Rhyno Madness
American Racing AR923
Method MR308

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have Method Roosts on my '15 F150. I quite like them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Cragar soft 8.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

iwentdoodie posted:

Cragar soft 8.

Absolutely agreed. Unfortunately, they top out at 17".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

Are you not aware of the rules?

If wheels are for a truck they need chrome fake beadlock bullshit all over the fuckin place.

I saw a wheel today that had three different circumferential rows of bolts. Like the fake beadlock row plus a row to pretend it was two piece wheel plus another row just for fun. A little part of me died.

quote:

Black Rhyno Madness
American Racing AR923
Method MR308

The 308 was on my short list. Also wheels that are kinda similar to the 923 (i.e. chunky 5 points). I'm also trying to avoid straight black just because its so goddamn common right now.

Hadn't seen the Madness. I kinda like it. My truck is dark blue and I think bronze could look good on it. Multiple bronze wheels made it to the short list but the website I was using didn't have this manu or I think it would have.

iwentdoodie posted:

Cragar soft 8.

I like this style wheel in general and I thought about it but I'm just not sold on it, for a newer truck.

Right now I'm really thinking bronze Method 308s might look good and unusual.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

veiled boner fuel posted:

Method 105’s are the most bitchinest.

Source: I have a scale licensed set on my RC Rock crawler.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm kind of afraid if I put bronze 308s on a blue truck it'll look like I wish I had a WRX instead, does that make sense?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Or its just a good looking color combo. Also, bronze wheels own in general. Granted, I say this as a person with a dark grey car. Bronze is basically my only non-black non-boring option.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elmnt80 posted:

Or its just a good looking color combo. Also, bronze wheels own in general.

That's exactly what I'm saying on both counts, I'm just trying to look at it from all angles.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

here was the short list from this afternoon based on 4wheelparts.com searchable wheels.

The funny part is that I sent this pic to my buddy and told him to pick his top 3, and he did.

And then I narrowed it down to 6 wheels that included 2 of his top 3, and told him to pick his top 1, and he picked a wheel that wasn't in his top 3.

I pointed this out and his response was "I'm drunk" so I told him to just look again tomorrow.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Middle row all the way to the right is kinda hot. I'd rock those on a blue, white or dark grey truck in a heartbeat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

epic bird guy posted:

High price/Heavy promos is a strategy that actually works pretty well for a while but once people catch on or your margins become too high for the promos to work it kind of falls apart. A lot of people love to feel like they're getting a deal even if they really aren't.

Also see: Kohl's, who actually gets the manufacturers to attach pricing labels with a much higher retail price than you'd see on the same clothing item elsewhere, then they make it down by anywhere from 10-50%+ (sometimes changing the discounts depending on the time of day... they'll run higher discounts early in the day when they first open).

It makes you feel like you're getting a bargain, when really, you're ultimately paying about the same as you would at, say, JC Penney, and maybe a little less than Macy's, if you found the exact same item.

Barely related, I got thrown back in time tonight. Decided to head to the mall after work; I need shorts, don't feel like waiting for Amazon, and was driving past anyway. I found an honest to god, well stocked Sears, with plenty of customers and employees. In the entire mall, I only saw 1 closed storefront, and the place was pretty drat busy (especially for a weeknight). I thought malls were all but dead? Apparently Town East Mall is doing drat well, which is kinda shocking for the area it's in (older area, solidly lower middle class). No, I didn't buy my shorts at Sears (though I would have; they had some I liked for only $15, but didn't have them in my size), but I haven't seen a thriving Sears in ages. Or a busy mall.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm 9/10 for Amazon Warehouse being broken, or plain the wrong item.

Ordered a home theater bluetooth amp, received chinese Aliexpress-style headphones. Had to FIGHT Amazon to get a return. I had a photo of me, in my car (delivered to a locker), with the locker in the background, with the opened package and the headphones. They STILL fought tooth-and-nail for a week to block that return.

gently caress Amazon warehouse.

I've had one bad experience. It was supposed to be a factory unlocked Moto X (2014) in "good" condition. Received an AT&T (unlocked, but still AT&T firmware, so at the time, unrootable) Moto X with severe screen burn and pretty beat to poo poo.

Similar experience trying to exchange it, I couldn't get it through their heads why I couldn't use (or didn't want) the AT&T version. And I had already sold my old phone, so shipping it back, waiting for a refund, and getting another one sent out would have left me phoneless for several days.

FWIW,. I finally got them to cross ship another phone overnight, from another seller (used, but fulfilled by Amazon). I'm still using that phone, 3 years later, as my work phone.

Got my Nexus 6P from them as well, and it went fine. Still have that phone too, but the battery is garbage now (which is funny, the Moto is a couple of years older... it has battery life issues too, but it tends to shut down around 40%... the Nexus shuts off around 70-80%). I don't feel right selling it with the battery as bad as it is and with the screen so scratched up, so I just keep it as a spare.

The Door Frame posted:

Holdbrooks has one, I believe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just straight shoot me if I ever buy a modern Nissan econobox.

They're really not that bad, in a reliable but incredibly loving boring and gutless way. Pretty decent legroom and cargo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I need to do wife's brakes so I'll check this out, thanks.

Middle row 2 across looks awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Moved the Saturd - noticed somebody had chalked the tires in the past day or two, so it had to move. Wound up driving it around the apt complex for a few minutes (it's currently uninsured, and only has 1 working headlight, so no public roads). Despite how much poo poo I've torn out of it, it's still a nice car for what it is/was, and I forgot just how comfortable the seats are compared to the replacement car. But no HVAC at all now, radio plays from 1 speaker, has 1 headlight, pulls hard to one side, etc.

It's pretty depressing. It was a drat good car for a long time, and I owned it for a lot longer than any other car. I need to finish pulling parts off of it (next up is outside temp sensor + harness for the outside temp display, wheels/tires, rotors [they're like a month or two old], maybe brake pads [35k old ceramics],, wiper blades, MAP sensor, 5k old spark plugs, then finally, seats), and get it out of here. It pains me to walk out and see it every day. I'm essentially turning it into a base model with all the parts swapping, though the parts that come off of the newer-but-definitely-not-better one are going on Silver Turd, so I can at least keep it as a running/driving shell. Also need to pull the battery, then take the battery + newer car to Napa or the like to see which battery is in better shape. I suspect the one from the Turd will be better; it's a little older, but it saw daily use, while the replacement car saw very little use by the PO.

Pick n Pull offered $235 if I clean it out, and didn't ask about the trim level or anything I'd removed (basically asked "does it move under its own power?"). So it'll be going there once I get everything out.

I didn't think I'd get attached to a car again. :smith:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

epic bird guy posted:

It seems like that company wants to have their cake and eat it too or something by doing both :shrug:

That's my thought, too.

Seems odd, because anyone who is willing to order stuff online is usually savvy enough to check the prices on the usual places before making a decision and brake pads aren't an impulse buy, so you have time to search

e.g.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need to do wife's brakes so I'll check this out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daks47aHl38

:bisonyes:

Fixed the flipups

Sormus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 20, 2018

• Locked thread