Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spb posted:

My ear has been sore, to the pointing theres discomfort when sleeping on my side. I've started wearing ear protectors when rolling but we were doing drills tonight and I realized it was getting sore from that too. Going to look like pussy wearing ear protectors for drills..

I think the dudes wearing ear protectors at my gym look badass. Like they are geared up for real business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weren't there a bunch of pro wrestlers in the 80s who wore ear guards to the ring?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

Weren't there a bunch of pro wrestlers in the 80s who wore ear guards to the ring?

Like two, really. Rick Steiner's the most memorable one. A bunch of college guys wear them though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

spb posted:

My ear has been sore, to the pointing theres discomfort when sleeping on my side. I've started wearing ear protectors when rolling but we were doing drills tonight and I realized it was getting sore from that too. Going to look like pussy wearing ear protectors for drills..

Nobody cares if you're wearing headgear.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Having to look at wrasslers lancing fluid from each others' ears is the worst thing in the world. Anything that reduces this awful horror is a good.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nobody cares if you're wearing headgear.

There are times I wish I was wearing headgear. Sometimes you get into a position where the rubbing on your ear is so unbearable you want to tap.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Don't waste time being embarassed imo. I've got pro fighters at the gym who wear that poo poo everyday. Protect yourself and be well.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The only thing that should embarrass you about headgear is not remembering to put it on before training because there’s nothing I hate more than going slap bump and then my partner saying “oh wait hang on a minute I need to put on my headgear.”

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Headgear is cool but so are hosed up ears.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I am Otis posted:

So: get your ears hosed up, THEN get headgear to protect them from getting unfucked up

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I got a nice bruise(?) from my sensei putting me in my first rear naked choke. I feel like I can cross something off my martial arts bucket list now.

oddly enough the intense pressure it put on my adam's apple seemed to override any of the pain from the choke itself. I had some tears in my eyes when he was done demonstrating it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Cephas posted:

I got a nice bruise(?) from my sensei putting me in my first rear naked choke. I feel like I can cross something off my martial arts bucket list now.

oddly enough the intense pressure it put on my adam's apple seemed to override any of the pain from the choke itself. I had some tears in my eyes when he was done demonstrating it.

A properly executed rear naked choke should not be painful. There should be a feeling of dread, light headedness and then darkness.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JaySB posted:

A properly executed rear naked choke should not be painful. There should be a feeling of dread, light headedness and then darkness.

Was just about to say this. It should cut off your blood supply on the side of the throat/neck. It can be brute forced, but that's pretty rare.

You should feel a sense of panic, followed by acceptance, followed by what it looks like when you turn off an old CRT TV.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Followed by the feeling that you just woke up from a loving amazing 3 hour nap.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ihop posted:

And all of your friends are there watching you wake up, but it's somehow a good feeling instead of being really creepy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ihop posted:

And a slight confusion as to where you are and what just happened to you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Except if it's on the windpipe. Then you're just loving coughing a poo poo load and everything hurts and your eyes are watering.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

As my partners get better I find my RNCs are getting windpipe-ier. I struggle to find any space under the neck so when I get it I take the closest finish instead of working my way up to the nice one. I don’t know if this is a good attitude or not.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

And a slight confusion as to where you are and what just happened to you.

Don't forget people clamoring to pick up your feet because they saw someone else do it once.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

Don't forget people clamoring to pick up your feet because they saw someone else do it once.

But that's literally how I learnt all my moves?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
This week I did my 50th Muay Thai session and I'm on course to do 10 sessions this month alone! Feels good man! (Except my shins, they are hurting)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

As my partners get better I find my RNCs are getting windpipe-ier. I struggle to find any space under the neck so when I get it I take the closest finish instead of working my way up to the nice one. I don’t know if this is a good attitude or not.

I think it's probably fine to get the finish but may be also good to try to fix your mechanics to get the stronger hold.

I frame choke all the time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

I am Otis posted:

It kinda bums me out that after a decade of training my ears are totally normal looking. I'd like just *a little* so people would know I'm serious.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

It kinda bums me out that after a decade of training my ears are totally normal looking. I'd like just *a little* so people would know I'm serious.

Go practice headlock escapes in gi

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Been there done that. My ears have even swelled a bit from time to time but never needed to be drained or anything. Just doesn't happen to some people

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

My ears are pristine but my brothers are jacked up.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Xguard86 posted:

Me too, I'm five years into BJJ and my ears are pristine. I split my eyebrow open on a screwed up bump sweep last year and the ER doc sewed it up so well I didn't get a scar, which is bullshit. I wanted that Manny Pacquiao white line in the brow, but no dice.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My work had this team building day where we went to a crossfit gym and learned crossfit self defense. All I did was look at ways to throw people from the lovely stances and showed my partners basic grappling stuff. I then only got paired with the instructor and other crossfit people so I would follow along.

I mean this type of self defense is never going to work on anyone when you have a stance called the tip of the spear which leaves you open to everything. Also a open hand blow to the bottom of the jaw will break teeth and is more effective than a punch according to the instructor.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The crossfit of self defense is the cross fit self defense......

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My work had this team building day where we went to a crossfit gym and learned crossfit self defense. All I did was look at ways to throw people from the lovely stances and showed my partners basic grappling stuff. I then only got paired with the instructor and other crossfit people so I would follow along.

I mean this type of self defense is never going to work on anyone when you have a stance called the tip of the spear which leaves you open to everything. Also a open hand blow to the bottom of the jaw will break teeth and is more effective than a punch according to the instructor.

:thunk:

mewse
May 2, 2006

When will Crossfit Defense debut in the UFC?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mewse posted:

When will Crossfit Defense debut in the UFC?

Never. It's too deadly.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Would there be enough interest in HEMA/WMA to warrant a separate thread ?

I see discussion pop up here every now and then. :hist101:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Neltharak posted:

Would there be enough interest in HEMA/WMA to warrant a separate thread ?

I see discussion pop up here every now and then. :hist101:

They talk about it a fair bit in the Fencing thread.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

TIL we have a fencing thread. Thanks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I'm not disputing that this whole picture is dumb and sad, but I sorta agree with this last statement, or at least one of the underlying premises. A punch thrown by a typical untrained computer programmer will be worthless and more likely to hurt said computer programmer's hand (his money maker!) than the attacker's face (especially if we consider that the attacker is probably at least a bit competent).

But this is why when I get asked self-defense questions I tell people to throw elbows, not dumbassed open-palm strikes which are only slightly less likely to hurt the computer programmer and no more likely to hurt the attacker.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Why are we encouraging people to strike in a self defense situation? Break the wrist and walk away.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Open palm strikes work only when you're trained to do them. They hurt your own wrist more than the other guy in a lot of cases.

When untrained people ask me for "magical self-defense tips" my answer is always run the gently caress away :v:

Barring that, throw something at the guy and run away. Knee his balls and run away.

Magical self defense quick tips are nearly always bullshit and get people stabbed. :colbert:

(Yes, i realize that i just gave self-defense quick tips, the irony is staggering)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neltharak posted:

Open palm strikes work only when you're trained to do them. They hurt your own wrist more than the other guy in a lot of cases.

When untrained people ask me for "magical self-defense tips" my answer is always run the gently caress away :v:

Barring that, throw something at the guy and run away. Knee his balls and run away.

Magical self defense quick tips are nearly always bullshit and get people stabbed. :colbert:

(Yes, i realize that i just gave self-defense quick tips, the irony is staggering)

I always say this as well and suck all the air out of that particular conversation.

"Hey what's one tip to driving a golf ball straight 200 ft?"

"Can you show me how to run a 4 minute mile"

See, sounds ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

"Can you show me how to run a 4 minute mile"

See, sounds ridiculous

Stealing that particular analogy.