Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Once again i'm not gonna be mad about the initial implementation. I'm saving up my outrage for when the full release happens and WotC inevitably gently caress something up for real.

Madmarker posted:

They're afraid of accidentally cannibalizing their paper market.

I think it is idiotic, but outside of just plain incompetence, it is the best idea I have.

How do you cannibalize your paper sales by selling codes in your paper product? Even by corporate boardroom logic thats pretty out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

Also no joke, I'm pretty sure the mtgo economy is actually better than arena for someone who wants to play fun decks with only a small amount of money spent.

MTGO is way cheaper than Arena for anyone, as long as you are willing to sell cards before they dive before rotation. Though it can take more money tied up at once.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Well that’s going to have the opposite of the intended effect. At 1:1 real packs to online I’d buy a box of every set in a heartbeat. With a max of 10 codes per account they’ll devalue the codes to $0.10 apiece in a blink meaning everyone will just buy singles and spend $1 extra for the codes.

Hilariously shortsighted and stupid.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
LSV's limited review of the red cards was just posted and he gives Siege Gang Commander a 5.0 putting it in the same league as Glorybringer and Scarab God for limited. For those who have played with this card before is it really that much of a bomb in limited?

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/dominaria-limited-set-review-red/

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tainen posted:

LSV's limited review of the red cards was just posted and he gives Siege Gang Commander a 5.0 putting it in the same league as Glorybringer and Scarab God for limited. For those who have played with this card before is it really that much of a bomb in limited?

Yes. It's insanely strong. It's also worth noting that it's ability lets you sacrifice it to itself or other goblins besides the tokens, and you don't have to tap the commander itself, so you if you leave the mana up you can always get value. Generally speaking, if you untap with siege gang commander, you will win, either by killing everything important on their side of the board or your opponent directly. Even if they kill it immediately you're way ahead both in board presence and card advantage.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 20, 2018

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Tainen posted:

He is pretty rad. 3 butts for one, the ability to fling goblin butts to the dome. If you have any other gobbos or generate tokens the burn gets out of hand p quick.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Tainen posted:

5.0 is too low, he should have given it a 6.0

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

PleasantDirge posted:

He is pretty rad. 3 butts for one, the ability to fling goblin butts to the dome. If you have any other gobbos or generate tokens the burn gets out of hand p quick.

FOUR butts for one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Which site typically goes over the draft archetypes for the sets? I know Channel Fireball posts LSV's set review but I think someone else typically does the archetypes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If Siege-Gang could only go to the dome, it would still be really strong in the right deck, but not really a 5.0.

But he's not restricted like that. If you untap with him, you are at just an absurd advantage on the board. It's between a 2- and 4-for-1 if you just use the tokens it comes with to kill opposing creatures, and that's not even accounting for the fact that the mere threat of a siege-gang activation severely limits how your opponent attacks and blocks.

Oh, and even if it's answered immediately you still get basically an entire second card's worth of tokens that they still have to deal with.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Metallic Mimic along with Murderous Redcap Skirk Prospector gives a hypothetical goblin deck an infinite damage combo. And your 1 of Redcap can be tutored for with Harbinger. And Mimic isn't terrible in the goblin storm deck

anglachel fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 20, 2018

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

anglachel posted:

Metallic Mimic along with Murderous Redcap Skirk Prospector gives a hypothetical goblin deck an infinite damage combo. And your1 of Redcap can be tutored for with Harbinger. And Mimic isn't terrible in the goblin storm deck

Empty the Warrens & Goblin Bushwhacker already end up doing close to 1000 damage :v:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

I played against it and I hated it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Glorybringer but it's certainly drat good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I wish there was a 1/1 goblin that made a token when it died for R

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I would contend that siege gang is better than glorybringer a lot of the time in limited

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

The Shortest Path posted:

I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Glorybringer but it's certainly drat good.

It's definitely better than glorybringer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This set is a great draft format.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm so curious about how legendary sorceries actually work out. I'm betting on them being terrible, but I'll be happily and strangely surprised if they work.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm so curious about how legendary sorceries actually work out. I'm betting on them being terrible, but I'll be happily and strangely surprised if they work.

None of them really seem strong enough/undercosted enough to justify their legendary add-on

But I might not have seen/remembered them all

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

None of them really seem strong enough/undercosted enough to justify their legendary add-on

That's what I'm thinking. Undercost by 1 and they don't make up for the restriction.

Undercost by 2 or more, and they may be too powerful.

Probably a dud mechanic for now, but I have some casual decks that will like them.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

The black one is the good one of the bunch. Even then i really doubt it will be worth the trouble

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

siege-gang commander is probably not quite as good as it was in Onslaught block, since damage no longer stacks and there's not as much goblin tribal

it's still bonkers

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Also no joke, I'm pretty sure the mtgo economy is actually better than arena for someone who wants to play fun decks with only a small amount of money spent.

It's way easier if you just win an extraordinary amount on MTGO to build what you want, like I win 70%+ of my Pauper matches and make a bunch of tickets, but even if I somehow won 70%+ of Arena matches that doesn't really get me anywhere fast, and that's assuming I start with a deck capable of achieving that winrate AND don't have to invest a lot of effort and resources changing decks when/if Kaladesh or Dominaria or a new set gets added. If you have to go from a full deck to another full deck to a third full deck to keep up with the metagame you're swiftly getting drowned by attrition since you can't just make up the difference by playing more games or winning a higher percentage of them.

Also if I do end up with 3 full decks on Arena I can't easily turn those cards into actual money to replace any real-life money I added into the system.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It would make a lot more sense for the wildcards to be slightly rarer, tied to the set/have an expiration date and allow you to have them be any card of that rarity (or lower) when making a deck, and not be fixed between decks. Allow people to use them for gimmicky garbage fun mythica and rares without feeling like they're crippling themselves competitively.

Then allow buying wildcards directly. Bam a soft subscription service.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

poo poo is weak posted:

5.0 is too low, he should have given it a 6.0

lsv really is the dave meltzer of magic cards

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Which site typically goes over the draft archetypes for the sets? I know Channel Fireball posts LSV's set review but I think someone else typically does the archetypes.
Found this one: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/49719-the-limited-archetypes-of-dominaria

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a way to manually add mana in mtg arena?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
you... click the lands?

Options button is in the top right, you can disable auto-tap.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mossyfisk posted:

you... click the lands?

Options button is in the top right, you can disable auto-tap.

oh duh

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, you can manually add mana before casting, or it will do it for you when you do the casting if nothing is tapped. It's annoying this came alone with the Deserts in the game, since it won't tap them for colourless on it's own.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, you can manually add mana before casting, or it will do it for you when you do the casting if nothing is tapped. It's annoying this came alone with the Deserts in the game, since it won't tap them for colourless on it's own.

If the tapping system is so helpless it can't even figure out basic poo poo like generic mana > colored mana then it will probably be useless in every meta

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gustav posted:

If the tapping system is so helpless it can't even figure out basic poo poo like generic mana > colored mana then it will probably be useless in every meta

Yeah it's pretty funny that the Arena autotapping is somehow worse than Shandalar's.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Gustav posted:

It's a special algorithm designed to realistically simulate how I gently caress up my turns in paper.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so hyped for Dominaria limited that I really want to go to the midnight pre-release, despite knowing that every time I've ever been to one I regret it by 4am.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Also reminder for us who enjoy self-harm, Dominaria will be in MTGO early - sealed queues up in four hours (10 am PT, IIRC).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stangg posted:

I'm so hyped for Dominaria limited that I really want to go to the midnight pre-release, despite knowing that every time I've ever been to one I regret it by 4am.

Go to a noon prerelease and claim you're going to the Chinese midnight prerelease.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Go to a noon prerelease and claim you're going to the Chinese midnight prerelease.

If I went its because I want to do the "three peak challenge" which has extra prizes for records across the three events.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I like how mtga always refuses to autotap field of ruin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Re: mana tapping in Arena: they already had button that switched between different automatic tapping land choices in Duels (ctrl) and I’m a bit puzzled why that just wasn’t straight up copied as concept.