Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

I guess I’ve been lucky to see mostly downward-trending sprints so far with less than 15% of the points being brought in after sprint start. We also try to leave some slack for other work that comes in (hot fixes after a release, new customer onboarding that’ll add a lot of stress to systems, etc) when we’re suspecting something will come up. On the other hand, I’ve been pulling 100+ hour weeks for months because I get stuck with full workloads in multiple sprint boards so there’s something wrong in the metrics saying I had about enough points for a full 40 hours / week (hint: I wind up in meetings or pull request review 80% of my days leaving no room for actual engineering work at the office, so 80 hours becomes implied). We try to point in the expected hours a meeting would take at least.

Are you paid hourly? If so, good job dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FormatAmerica posted:

And if not you need to stop propping up that broken system.
Let the blame fall to the manager responsible for this.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

I guess Ive been lucky to see mostly downward-trending sprints so far with less than 15% of the points being brought in after sprint start. We also try to leave some slack for other work that comes in (hot fixes after a release, new customer onboarding thatll add a lot of stress to systems, etc) when were suspecting something will come up. On the other hand, Ive been pulling 100+ hour weeks for months because I get stuck with full workloads in multiple sprint boards so theres something wrong in the metrics saying I had about enough points for a full 40 hours / week (hint: I wind up in meetings or pull request review 80% of my days leaving no room for actual engineering work at the office, so 80 hours becomes implied). We try to point in the expected hours a meeting would take at least.

Dude, don't work 100+ hours. You're loving up the system by propping it up to a point where it looks to management like this is normal and sustainable.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If they are trying to represent every minute of your workday on the storyboard then it's time to add user stories for taking shits.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

necrobobsledder posted:

Theyre gray for a reason?

Think of them as Chekhov's gun.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah I just laugh because this is the third sprint now where we have more points than we started with halfway through. We're having a recurring QA problem where bugs are slipping through constantly and we had 2-3 hotfix releases a day for a while. It's not minor poo poo like missing a weird corner case, I'm talking not testing the core functionality of a new feature at all; e.g. one story was about fixing image orientation for uploads, and it broke the ability to even upload an image.....so wtf did QA even test (or that dev who said it was ready for testing...)?

It's about to plummet this afternoon now that all my PRs that have been scaring people are finally merged in. I changed our docker deployment process and no one else understands it so they've been afraid to touch it.

The above is the reason that makes me think that having a QA person or department is actually detrimental to code quality.
Dev: "Here QA, I made this and now you take the bugs out"
QA: "How do I run this locally?"
Downhill from here.

I worked as a dedicated QA person for almost 15 years, I hated it so much that now I develop software that needs no external QA person. It still needs testing, lots of it. Just not by a person who's only job is to ensure no bugs go to prod. That should be a team effort and part of everyone's job.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

Dude, don't work 100+ hours. You're loving up the system by propping it up to a point where it looks to management like this is normal and sustainable.
Im in a small company / start-up and the person assigning this unsustainable workload and very well aware is literally the CTO. The utilization for everyone is calculated out for people carefully - other engineers are joking to management Im actually at 400% utilization. My manager has been pretty pissed off at the CTO for putting just me on the critical path while half the team sits mostly idle when theres plenty of work they could be assigned. Seriously, wtf is the value of git flow if you cant have a long lived feature branch across multiple sprints?

Im going to ask for a big chunk of equity or go hourly once this roll-out is complete because another huge effort is coming up that Im going to be the only one technically capable of both overseeing and writing. Leaving the company is easy to do but interviewing for non-poo poo tier companies is hard when youre burned out. This is life in devops I guess, which is why Im hoping this is my last job having ops anywhere in the title or responsibilities.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Keetron posted:

The above is the reason that makes me think that having a QA person or department is actually detrimental to code quality.
Dev: "Here QA, I made this and now you take the bugs out"
QA: "How do I run this locally?"
Downhill from here.

I worked as a dedicated QA person for almost 15 years, I hated it so much that now I develop software that needs no external QA person. It still needs testing, lots of it. Just not by a person who's only job is to ensure no bugs go to prod. That should be a team effort and part of everyone's job.

Man... flashbacks.

In my old job a FairlyLargeCompany:
1. QA was on a separate department
2. Ops were on a separate department
3. QA refused to test anything other than ready-to-go, prelive environment with real data
4. Only the ops were allowed to deploy to prelive environment
5. Indeed the ops department required a work order to deploy anything into prelive environment
6. If we attempted to post stuff in prelive environment too often (say more than once per sprint) we would get poo poo from ops department for sucking at developing and wasting their time.
7. If there was an error at live, then unless it was egregious, then fixing it would have had to wait until the next scheduled update (say 2 weeks), because it was our fault, and the ops were busy.
8. We devs would need to write error memos and attend meetings on how come there are these persistent bugs at live, and what can we do to avoid writing them in the future.
9. The QA obviously didn't need to attend these meetings or write memos - afterall they weren't the ones who wrote the bugs.

Basically these external QA and ops departments contributed nothing to help the developers deliver better quality software, and only generated poo poo.

Not saying all ops departments or all QA departments are bad, but I think at least one level of QA needs to work with the developers, and the ops needn't be involved with the environment where QA testing takes place.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

Im in a small company / start-up and the person assigning this unsustainable workload and very well aware is literally the CTO. The utilization for everyone is calculated out for people carefully - other engineers are joking to management Im actually at 400% utilization. My manager has been pretty pissed off at the CTO for putting just me on the critical path while half the team sits mostly idle when theres plenty of work they could be assigned. Seriously, wtf is the value of git flow if you cant have a long lived feature branch across multiple sprints?

Im going to ask for a big chunk of equity or go hourly once this roll-out is complete because another huge effort is coming up that Im going to be the only one technically capable of both overseeing and writing. Leaving the company is easy to do but interviewing for non-poo poo tier companies is hard when youre burned out. This is life in devops I guess, which is why Im hoping this is my last job having ops anywhere in the title or responsibilities.

So many Red Flags it looks like a May Day parade! Team isn't signing up for the work. Velocity is fixed and unchanging. Stories assigned to individuals and not the team.

You should have come work for me when I tried to get you. Our DevOps team is greenfielding testing and deployment for a new project and no one works more than 80 hours unless they're too arsed to drive home. (Though with my other hat I'm griping about why did we go to production on a new project without a solid BVT system and wishes it was done already.)

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

no one works more than 80 hours unless they're too arsed to drive home.

Is 80hrs a week normal for people? I'm pulling around 65 this week and am taking Monday off as time in lieu as a result.

Edit: or you're talking about 80hrs in a 2 week sprint and I'm just realising this now.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 19, 2018

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I work 35-40 hours a week, 50 if I feel like stretching on something interesting where I'm learning new stuff or having fun. I am full-time salaried.

If anyone tries to overload a sprint the team tells them to get hosed or we drop something else from the sprint if everyone agrees they can live with the change in priorities and still deliver.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pigdog posted:

Basically these external QA and ops departments contributed nothing to help the developers deliver better quality software, and only generated poo poo.
It's organizational dependency inversion. They don't have the resources to do X, so they made their charter about providing knowledge/infrastructure/mindshare for you to do X. I work at a large company that tries to do this even for products.

Now there is some good in creating a pluggable architecture, but I ain't talking about that. They will look at you like you are speaking in moon runes if you talk about inversion in design. They only know how to do it in the org chart.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m in a small company / start-up and the person assigning this unsustainable workload and very well aware is literally the CTO. The utilization for everyone is calculated out for people carefully - other engineers are joking to management I’m actually at 400% utilization. My manager has been pretty pissed off at the CTO for putting just me on the critical path while half the team sits mostly idle when there’s plenty of work they could be assigned. Seriously, wtf is the value of git flow if you can’t have a long lived feature branch across multiple sprints?

I’m going to ask for a big chunk of equity or go hourly once this roll-out is complete because another huge effort is coming up that I’m going to be the only one technically capable of both overseeing and writing. Leaving the company is easy to do but interviewing for non-poo poo tier companies is hard when you’re burned out. This is life in devops I guess, which is why I’m hoping this is my last job having ops anywhere in the title or responsibilities.

They are abusing you and you're letting them. Don't ask for hourly or equity "when the rollout is complete", do it right now and stop working until you get it. By your own admission you're a critical person without whom nothing will get done.

But really, you should quit and go work somewhere that gives a poo poo about their team.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

FormatAmerica posted:

I work 35-40 hours a week, 50 if I feel like stretching on something interesting where I'm learning new stuff or having fun. I am full-time salaried.

Echoing this sentiment. I've got better things to do with my life than give up all of my time and sanity to an overbearing CTO or whatever. There is no software that is so important to humanity that it needs someone working over 40 hours a week.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My team is the absolute best at sprint planning.

:smith::respek::smith:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Portland Sucks posted:

Echoing this sentiment. I've got better things to do with my life than give up all of my time and sanity to an overbearing CTO or whatever. There is no software that is so important to humanity that it needs someone working over 40 hours a week.

This. Not to mention the fact that it's been repeatedly proven that regularly working extra hours actually decreases productivity, so everyone loses. If you're pulling overtime for more than a week before a launch or some similar situation, something is being done wrong and needs to change immediately. Or you need to quit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

40 hours a week is already pushing it, IMO.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Update for mine....it jumped up another 12 points yesterday :smith:

I did fix everything that broke on our staging server, though, so theoretically the 25 or so points worth of poo poo stranded in there should be completed today.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m in a small company / start-up and the person assigning this unsustainable workload and very well aware is literally the CTO. The utilization for everyone is calculated out for people carefully - other engineers are joking to management I’m actually at 400% utilization. My manager has been pretty pissed off at the CTO for putting just me on the critical path while half the team sits mostly idle when there’s plenty of work they could be assigned. Seriously, wtf is the value of git flow if you can’t have a long lived feature branch across multiple sprints?

I’m going to ask for a big chunk of equity or go hourly once this roll-out is complete because another huge effort is coming up that I’m going to be the only one technically capable of both overseeing and writing. Leaving the company is easy to do but interviewing for non-poo poo tier companies is hard when you’re burned out. This is life in devops I guess, which is why I’m hoping this is my last job having ops anywhere in the title or responsibilities.

"I'm working as long as 3 people and doing the work of at least 4, either pay me 4 salaries or I'm going to 40 hours a week, period."

Quit on the spot if this guy balks at changing anything or promises that he'll "review" things later since he's clearly jerking your chain.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FormatAmerica posted:

The only reason I willingly put in more than 40 hours a week is that I'm hourly and will get time and a half. That's only to support deployments and that process is mostly voluntary.

But as soon as I'm salaried, gently caress off with that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

FormatAmerica posted:

Double echoed.

I used to work tons more, but most of it was slacking off interleaved with panicked coding sessions. I had a light bulb moment when I realized I could leave at 5 every day, even coming in at 10am and taking lunch, if I spent all my time at work working.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

So many Red Flags it looks like a May Day parade! Team isn't signing up for the work. Velocity is fixed and unchanging. Stories assigned to individuals and not the team.
Not quite the full story either (no pun intended) but we try to roughly estimate how much work certain individuals can help on stories. The team is assigned the story with a primary owner which changes hands, we identify who can help and we do swarms to meet goals readily with no individual blame for a team failure. In the past for some tasks Id have people swarm to help me out, but half the time the extra bodies have impeded the work getting finished, not helped and the team agreed they didnt have the skills to add value.The team agreed we need X, Y, and Z to deliver a working, supportable solution, so I suppose I worked overtime to avoid everyone else from working overtime for months and months. Nobody likes what Ive gone through and we literally have stories to stop me from getting overloaded (or anyone else) again. This kind of individual workload is unprecedented for the company. The consensus early on was that if we had another month we could avoid a lot of problems and the customers outrageously short timeline and our inability to get any leverage over them (and how much theyre paying us I gather) is what made this a full blown crunch.

Before this BS I worked maybe 40 hours / week and Im going to chill out for a few weeks approving pull requests and sitting in meetings. And working on interviewing for FANGS, of course.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

I'm so proud of my last sprint

We did undersize the hell out of it but a falling line is a falling line.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm so proud of my last sprint

We did undersize the hell out of it but a falling line is a falling line.

Also, you are still adding points all over the place and someone has been working on Sunday.
Finally, there is no pride in a report. Only in the product.

Value one of the Agile Manifesto posted:

Individuals and interactions over processes and tools

Stupid burndown charts. Now get off my lawn.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Keetron posted:

Also, you are still adding points all over the place and someone has been working on Sunday.

k

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cirofren posted:

Is 80hrs a week normal for people? I'm pulling around 65 this week and am taking Monday off as time in lieu as a result.

Edit: or you're talking about 80hrs in a 2 week sprint and I'm just realising this now.

That's what I meant but I was probably half paying attention. I meant 40 hr weeks and a few people who chill on the internet until there's 0 traffic.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Keetron posted:

Excuse me, the word is over not instead of

I can have my individuals and interactions and still obsess over a report, thank you very much :colbert:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Excuse me, the word is over not instead of

poo poo, you are right. I hate it when that happens.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Cirofren posted:

Is 80hrs a week normal for people?
No?

I do about 45-50 hours a week. Sometimes people do more when there are... problems afoot.

Sometimes people leave early if they're ahead of the curve. Get your work done, and nobody cares where you are.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Keetron posted:

Must be nice to have a product you can take pride in.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It really is, yeah.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being a programmer is turning me into an anarchist.

I always seem to want to eliminate state.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So I let one domain expire (I had bought two similar ones and decided I didn't need the other) and holy poo poo, I have been bombarded with spam, calls, and scams to "register" my domain, create a website, design a logo, etc etc. I picked up one because I'm interviewing and didn't recognize the number, and no matter how much I said that I'm a developer and make my own websites, the dude would not get off the phone (I'm overly polite).

I didn't realize domain expiration/management was such a poo poo show. What happens for that on the professional side?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We pay for private registration, so we only get spam from Network Solutions.

Which for 40-ish domains is still actually quite a bit.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

going to shamelessly steal this for code review commentary

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Bongo Bill posted:

Being a programmer is turning me into a communist.

I always seem to want to send business people to the firing squad.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
My manager just floated including a touch typing/ speed test as part of the next employee review, as it's such an obvious productivity enhancer. He's very enamoured with things that have numbers he can use to rank people. Also, seemingly in all seriousness, that led to him suggesting that the aim would be keyboards with blank keys as some kind of visual proof of touch typing mastery.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 28, 2018

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RobertKerans posted:

My manager just floated including a touch typing/ speed test as part of the next employee review, as it's such an obvious productivity enhancer. He's very enamoured with things that have numbers he can use to rank people. Also, seemingly in all seriousness, that led to him suggesting that the aim would be keyboards with blank keys as some kind of visual proof of touch typing mastery.

Lmao what a loving idiot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

RobertKerans posted:

Sounds like an easy raise. :nws: https://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/The_Typing_of_The_Dead_Overkill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RobertKerans posted:

:sever: