Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Don Gato posted:

I liked the wing commander mod but it could be straight up bullshit in terms of difficulty when I last played it. Maybe things changed in the years since but it definitely was balls hard at the easiest.

giving the true Wing Commander experience then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Phanatic posted:

The fuckin' manuals that came with those games were amazing.

Ditto Microprose, though. The manual for Gunship on the C64 went into rotary-wing aerodynamics and had a bunch of pages basically straight out of Janes.

Look at this poo poo:

https://archive.org/stream/Gunship_1986_Microprose_Software#page/n23/mode/2up

On approximately December 29, 1986, I played Gunship for 13 hours in one day.

I don't know how my C64 survived.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Have they ever tested launching all of a ship's VLS cells and is there footage of that? That has got to look insane. Probably a bit expensive but they must've tested it once

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There are some out there from both gulf wars of some massive salvos.

What I want to see is one of the converted Ohio’s let’s loose. Capacity of something crazy line 140 Tomahawks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alaan posted:

There are some out there from both gulf wars of some massive salvos.

What I want to see is one of the converted Ohio’s let’s loose. Capacity of something crazy line 140 Tomahawks.

154! Pretty drat impressive.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Have they ever tested launching all of a ship's VLS cells and is there footage of that? That has got to look insane. Probably a bit expensive but they must've tested it once

From what I've seen, they don't go all Alpha Strike and pop off all the cells in a few seconds; it would just look like a loop of the ship launching one or two missiles, getting smokier each time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So while not exactly AirPower or Cold War.... this directly relates to GPS and we use that a hell of a lot to bomb the poo poo out of dirt.
I got a chance to talk with the librarian at the USNO in DC. She brought out some rare books from her collection. Stuff dating back to the 1550.

Now the interesting thing about this book is the earth at the center of universe. The following pages are little cutouts that can be positioned depending on the date calculated and attached to the page with a piece of string in the center. The cutouts are made of stiffer paper recycled from a bible in Latin that you can only see if you lift a wheel.

The books have been rebound a few times but still in decent shape for being just under 500 years old.

I also got to see the majority of the clocks that make the Master Clock and talk to the scientists that crunch all the data to use with GPS. Very cool place.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

So while not exactly AirPower or Cold War.... this directly relates to GPS and we use that a hell of a lot to bomb the poo poo out of dirt.
I got a chance to talk with the librarian at the USNO in DC. She brought out some rare books from her collection. Stuff dating back to the 1550.

Now the interesting thing about this book is the earth at the center of universe. The following pages are little cutouts that can be positioned depending on the date calculated and attached to the page with a piece of string in the center. The cutouts are made of stiffer paper recycled from a bible in Latin that you can only see if you lift a wheel.

The books have been rebound a few times but still in decent shape for being just under 500 years old.

I also got to see the majority of the clocks that make the Master Clock and talk to the scientists that crunch all the data to use with GPS. Very cool place.

I'm rock hard.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Love me some old books.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I'm rock hard.

gently caress yes.

My Masters supervisor has a second-edition copy of De Re Metallica (1561) in a display case, as well as a first-edition copy of the English translation from 1912 on his shelf, signed by Herbert Hoover. They're the two coolest books I've ever seen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She’s gonna pull out a signed document from Abraham Lincoln tomorrow.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Memento posted:

gently caress yes.

My Masters supervisor has a second-edition copy of De Re Metallica (1561) in a display case, as well as a first-edition copy of the English translation from 1912 on his shelf, signed by Herbert Hoover. They're the two coolest books I've ever seen.

It's not old or my most valuable book, but I have a book signed by Prince Charles. He wrote a book on architecture.

The Royals DO NOT sign their name anywhere unless it's an official document or an invitation.

I'm just waiting for the right buyer, because gently caress Prince Charles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

It's not old or my most valuable book, but I have a book signed by Prince Charles. He wrote a book on architecture.

The Royals DO NOT sign their name anywhere unless it's an official document or an invitation.

I'm just waiting for the right buyer, because gently caress Prince Charles.

Well if I were you I'd try to sell it during the very brief window when he is assumptive to the throne (after QEII passes) and before he abdicates in favour of his eldest son. There's no way he's actually going to assume the throne.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Memento posted:

Well if I were you I'd try to sell it during the very brief window when he is assumptive to the throne (after QEII passes) and before he abdicates in favour of his eldest son. There's no way he's actually going to assume the throne.

That's my thought, but that old woman isn't ever going to die.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Captain Log posted:

That's my thought, but that old woman isn't ever going to die.

She's only alive now to try to outlive her son so the dynasty can skip straight to the grandkids. I can only imagine the size of the tumor growing in Camilla's head as she tries to will an aneurysm into Liz so she can become the official consort to the reigning monarch.

I bet the Queen surreptitiously makes sure Charles has had a bite of whatever she's eating first, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

She's only alive now to try to outlive her son so the dynasty can skip straight to the grandkids. I can only imagine the size of the tumor growing in Camilla's head as she tries to will an aneurysm into Liz so she can become the official consort to the reigning monarch.

I bet the Queen surreptitiously makes sure Charles has had a bite of whatever she's eating first, too.

Didn't the Queen Mother make it to 106 or 101 or something equally asinine?

The second Charles has a heart attack she is going to run from that throne.

Being a British immigrant, my family is a bit ambivalent about the royals. But we made a lot of money selling things they basically farted upon. But I'll never forget what a big deal it was to my family when Diana crashed with the son of the Harrod's empire...Dodi Al'Fayed?

Edit : It was weird when I was going through my Great Grandfather's undated photos and found a posed, but rather candid photo by him of George and the Queen. He was in a wheel chair in some gardens.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Memento posted:

I really think he is, you know. He's said before he won't abdicate (if I remember correctly it was something to do with still believing in divine right), Queen Liz has said she wants it to be him, and William isn't champing at the bit to be King.
e:

Captain Log posted:

Being a British immigrant, my family is a bit ambivalent about the royals. But we made a lot of money selling things they basically farted upon. But I'll never forget what a big deal it was to my family when Diana crashed with the son of the Harrod's empire...Dodi Al'Fayed?
Yup. When the coroner did the body bags, it was Zippety Dodi, Zippety Di

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 20, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

simplefish posted:

I really think he is, you know. He's said before he won't abdicate (if I remember correctly it was something to do with still believing in divine right), Queen Liz has said she wants it to be him, and William isn't champing at the bit to be King.
e:

:golfclap:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

simplefish posted:

god drat

I remember I heard my first Princess Di joke literally the same day she died. Sarah Ferguson was going through a really messy divorce from whatshisfuck and the joke went like this:

Q: "What did The Queen buy Princess Sarah for her birthday?"

A: "A 600 SEL Mercedes, but she had to pick it up in Paris"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

LingcodKilla posted:

My Latin tutor in high school left the British Army after the Second World War, went back to school to finish his PhD and eventually spent most of the 50s travelling the world with his wife before they settled down. While passing through Italy, he passed by a couple of estate sales from old noble families that had gone extinct. He made off with a couple of dozen ancient books, the oldest of which dated back to the early 1500s. One of the texts he taught me Latin from was an edition of Comentarii De Bello Gallico from the end of the 16th century and I also remember working from a similarly old collection of the works of Plautus. It's pretty neat to learn from something that is centuries older than your country, and I think it's kind of staggering to stop and consider how many minds these same books have shaped over that time.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 20, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m more jealous of you than I am of the Spaceflight thread poster (Mukaikubo) who got a zero‐g plane ride.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

I’m more jealous of you than I am of the Spaceflight thread poster (Mukaikubo) who got a zero‐g plane ride.

Bear in mind he's also now residing in the city that holds the Library of Congress' Rare Book Room. Really cool people in there, so long as you heed their counsel and pay attention to their advice on how to properly peruse potentially fragile works.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fearless posted:

It's pretty neat to learn from something that is centuries older than your country, and I think it's kind of staggering to stop and consider how many minds these same books have shaped over that time.

To be fair, I've lived in houses that are centuries older than your country, and I'm not even counting college :smuggo:

Oldest book I've handled was a Bible from the 15th century my tutor at college owned, I think. My high school library had a couple of books from the 18th century.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bear in mind he's also now residing in the city that holds the Library of Congress' Rare Book Room. Really cool people in there, so long as you heed their counsel and pay attention to their advice on how to properly peruse potentially fragile works.

My dad spent 30+ years working for CRS and one of his carpool buddies worked in manuscript restoration or whatever. In late elementary or middle school I got a private tour. I was a geography nerd, so I got to see a lot of this stuff - https://www.loc.gov/maps/collections/ loving awesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah not going to happen. For better or worse she wants chuck to be king. She just did a big push at the semiannual Commonwealth heads of state meeting to convince them to vote him head of it when she dies. Unlike the kingship head of the commonwealth isn’t hereditary but they’re trying to make the case for him being good at that job. Which he might be. He’s been really involved in commonwealth poo poo in the last two decades in what has largely been seen as king training.

All indications are that the royals want a normal line of succession.

Frankly I don’t think he’d be trrrible either.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 20, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So Japan has issued RFIs to foreign companies for its next ASF. It has to be domestically produced including engines, but that’s a pretty minor issue considering MHI is a pretty top notch domestic partner. Anyways, Lockheed is submitting an aircraft that basically pulls from both the F-22 and F-35 and according to some rear end in a top hat, “superior to both.” Sounds like a loving long shot, but given its Japan and not the US, what do you think the odds are of it actually doing that? I don’t know of any major procurement fuckups in Japan besides stuff being expensive to develop domestically, but I never looked hard either. They have reasonable to good capabilities in every category I can think of with the stuff they made or licensed/modified.

There’s also the prescience that Lockheed and MHI have already done this once before for the most part; they took the F-16, made a solid handful of notable changes, and built it in Japan as the F-2. It was expensive for what it was, but a good airplane afaik.

It also requires the current admin to allow a bunch of tech transfer to them on high end stuff, but seeing Trumps stance on China the odds on that seem pretty good.

They also contacting Boeing and BAE but I highly doubt a stealthy Hornet or Typhoon will get far, unless they submit something new.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MHI and Japan are getting a lot of experience really from the ATD-X (X-2 Shinshin) program. I think that Lockheed will have this one locked too.
Given that JASDF always wanted the F-22 (and couldn't have it), as well as the fact that Japan acquired and will continue acquiring the F-35 platform, I think that the F-3 program is supposed to replace the F-15J. And that is a pretty tall order, considering.

I think they can do it, but it won't be cheap or fast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mazz posted:

So Japan has issued RFIs to foreign companies for its next ASF. It has to be domestically produced including engines, but that’s a pretty minor issue considering MHI is a pretty top notch domestic partner. Anyways, Lockheed is submitting an aircraft that basically pulls from both the F-22 and F-35 and according to some rear end in a top hat, “superior to both.” Sounds like a loving long shot, but given its Japan and not the US, what do you think the odds are of it actually doing that? I don’t know of any major procurement fuckups in Japan besides stuff being expensive to develop domestically, but I never looked hard either. They have reasonable to good capabilities in every category I can think of with the stuff they made or licensed/modified.

There’s also the prescience that Lockheed and MHI have already done this once before for the most part; they took the F-16, made a solid handful of notable changes, and built it in Japan as the F-2. It was expensive for what it was, but a good airplane afaik.

It also requires the current admin to allow a bunch of tech transfer to them on high end stuff, but seeing Trumps stance on China the odds on that seem pretty good.

They also contacting Boeing and BAE but I highly doubt a stealthy Hornet or Typhoon will get far, unless they submit something new.

The USG has to approve any tech in that Lockmart design. So it's not going to be superior to either the F-22 or F-35. That's just a complete "not a chance in hell" scenario.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mazz posted:

Anyways, Lockheed is submitting an aircraft that basically pulls from both the F-22 and F-35 and according to some rear end in a top hat, “superior to both.”

so an FB-22?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mazz posted:

Anyways, Lockheed is submitting an aircraft that basically pulls from both the F-22 and F-35 and according to some rear end in a top hat, “superior to both.”

I found some leaked concept art:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, I've lived in houses that are centuries older than your country, and I'm not even counting college :smuggo:

Oldest book I've handled was a Bible from the 15th century my tutor at college owned, I think. My high school library had a couple of books from the 18th century.

So have I. The house I grew up in was older than both Canada and the US. poo poo, it's been in my family since the early 1700s.

However, point taken. I've been to Europe a few times and it's always been an adjustment to consider how very old everything is. Most of the major city sites have experienced continual human habitation millennia, let alone centuries.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 20, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Godholio posted:

The USG has to approve any tech in that Lockmart design. So it's not going to be superior to either the F-22 or F-35. That's just a complete "not a chance in hell" scenario.

It’s debatable they’ll need much in the way of tech transfer in the electronics/avionics though, I mean they put an AESA in F-2 before the US ever had one in a production aircraft. They’re also a major partner in F-35 production now last I looked and an extremely important ally in a region we need them more than ever. I doubt “superior” is the right word either, but I don’t see why parity would be out of the question with a design 40 years newer than the F-22. They could basically scale up the F-35 like they did with the F-2 and cut a bunch of strike fighter fat and it’d be a better ASF than the F-35 already.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 20, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fearless posted:

So have I. The house I grew up in was older than both Canada and the US. poo poo, it's been in my family since the early 1700s.

However, point taken. I've been to Europe a few times and it's always been an adjustment to consider how very old everything is. Most of the major city sites have experienced continual human habitation millennia, let alone centuries.

Downside is places like Naples, which hasn't been cleaned up in millennia either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Works posted:

Downside is places like Naples, which hasn't been cleaned up in millennia either.

Frankly living in old buildings is highly overrated. I've lived in pre-1776 buildings in both the US and Europe and holy poo poo give me a modern one over those every time.

Don't get me wrong, old buildings have their charm. The historian in me loves that they are still around. If they've been renovated up to modern standards they can be decently comfortable. But poo poo like heating, insulation, placement of electrical outlets, placement of plumbing* etc has come a LONG loving way.

*I lived in one place in Berlin where I had to shower in the kitchen because there had only ever been one water line put into the house. The only toilet in it was literally in a closet (about 3 feet by 3 feet - I assume it used to be a coat closet as it was also near the front door) next to the kitchen door - the same pipe that fed the shower and the kitchen sink fed the shitter.

Oh, and to use the clothes washer (also in the kitchen) you had to screw a hose over the nozzle on the kitchen sink and then run another hose into the bottom of the sink. Fresh water comes in via the tap, then the dirty laundry water goes down the kitchen sink.

That was kind of a special case. It used to be part of a big mid-18th century building that had been partially destroyed, partially rebuilt after the war, and then sub-divided into apartments by the communists. I think our living room used to be a rich person's salon because it had a needlessly huge floor pint and the ceilings were about 20 feet high. gently caress me that place sucked for heating in the winter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Old houses were apparently made for people the size of hobbits.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I love the old houses with knob and tube wiring. I mean, I'd never, ever want to live in one of those death traps, but it's cool to look at.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I love the old houses with knob and tube wiring. I mean, I'd never, ever want to live in one of those death traps, but it's cool to look at.

I have that in a few rooms, a legacy of when the house was upgraded to electricity in the 1920s. It is perfectly safe as long as it is enclosed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gnoman posted:

I have that in a few rooms, a legacy of when the house was upgraded to electricity in the 1920s. It is perfectly safe as long as it is enclosed.

If you’re going to the trouble to “enclose” it, there’s no reason whatsoever not to just rewire with romex and modern outlets.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you had to live in a airplane which one would it be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, and to use the clothes washer (also in the kitchen)

This bit is standard even in modern British houses to be fair, dunno about Germany.