Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland is great y'all are haters. Like do you know how many beaches there are in Auckland? And also the weather there is much warmer than Welly, and you don't have to deal with non-stop extreme wind. Wellington is also great though don't get me wrong, just saying don't write off Auckland if your wife is dead set on it. Welly will feel really small after Japan.

Doesn't Dunedin also have a bit of an IT industry now too? Only go to Dunedin if you hate yourself and/or you absolutely must live driving distance to ski fields, though (and even then Auckland and Wellington are just about as close)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

Auckland is great y'all are haters. Like do you know how many beaches there are in Auckland? And also the weather there is much warmer than Welly, and you don't have to deal with non-stop extreme wind. Wellington is also great though don't get me wrong, just saying don't write off Auckland if your wife is dead set on it. Welly will feel really small after Japan.

Doesn't Dunedin also have a bit of an IT industry now too? Only go to Dunedin if you hate yourself and/or you absolutely must live driving distance to ski fields, though (and even then Auckland and Wellington are just about as close)

It depends a lot on what his wife means by 'city girl', because Auckland's "city" is pretty meh compared to Wellington's city culture. But yes, there's the beaches and better weather (cars mandatory to really make any use of those beaches). If you like hiking, Wellington has multiple trailheads you can take a normal bus to.

What sort of Windows work are you doing? You mention documenting tick boxes, are you manually installing things? Or are you working distributed magic with powershell? If it's the later, you should check out what Xero has on offer, which is a "former startup" that's now pretty big, and runs on a Windows platform in AWS, running a distributed .NET application with MSSQL backend. Finding skilled Windows engineers who aren't just desktop support guys is a challenge. I worked there for 5 years, and left a year ago (I live in Montreal now), but unless something dramatic has changed in the past year, it's a great place to work. Offices for the Operations team are in Wellington and Auckland as well, so you'd have options. Otherwise there's also TradeMe, Datacom, Fronde, probably most of the banks, you should find something.

Job sites are TradeMe, and Seek, but also don't be afraid to apply direct on their websites when you hear about a cool company worth digging into.

Relocation: You're unlikely to get this. Most of the time if we interviewed someone who was currently overseas, it's because they were already planning on being here (ideally with tickets booked) and we'd do interviews over Skype/Hangouts. Plenty of the people I hired had just arrived in the country without a job yet, so it's not a crazy thing to attempt.

Salary: really depends on your skillset, but for our Site Reliability Engineers, I don't think anyone was less than 80K (plus bonuses). Don't know about more mainstream IT support salaries.

(PMs welcome for more specific questions, I worked for Xero in both their Wellington and Auckland offices, and was a Team Lead involved in hiring)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's cool to be discussing this here but just for future reference --because NZpol is a thread for people to scream endlessly into the void-- there's a chill NZ hangout thread here for organising meetups and more casual questions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Weatherman posted:

Thanks again for your time.
I think it's gotten better over the last couple of years in terms of shortage - mainly there was never a shortage in skilled IT folks, there was specifically a post-financial-crisis shortage of skilled IT folks who were willing to eat entry-level wages for mid-level positions. I work in a company with in-house IT and with contractors and for us and talking to them, getting good IT is an issue, it's just less around number of applicants and more around if their specific skill sets line up with the job and their personality.

I know we've conducted interviews through Skype, with second-interviews being flown over, so that's a possibility but probably less likely for an MSP or a company more concerned with paperskills rather than team fit. There's probably general demand outside Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland, but I think it's at the level that you would be based in one of those cities before getting a job outside of them and moving to it.

Auckland owns. But I say that as someone who's not a dingleberry living in the outer suburbs doing a fifty-minute commute for a desk job.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just to add the recruiting companies talk up the shortage when dealing with immigration, politicians etc. Sadly when it comes to wages they don’t follow through. They tend to want people with very specific skills and good experience but offer entry level salaries if they can.
It is much worse in the smaller centres than in The big three cities for that.
I think Dunedin has a fairly strong IT sector for its size. It is a town dominated by the university there. It is also very cold for NZ. For further discussion about moving here check out the thread linked above in the Goon meet section. That tends to cover more of that sort of thing.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thanks very much for the information. I feel like I know which directions to be looking in now. Sad to hear about the supposed "shortage" but at least it's not a total disaster. Got that other thread bookmarked now too!

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I like Dunedin :colbert:

Pay might not be what you're used to here (in NZ) but tech as an industry is overpaid so I'm sure you'll be fine

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We were talking about the Integrated data infrastructure a while back, Treasury have put up the Stats visualiser for (a subset of) IDI data on their website. Fun to play around with.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

NZ is an amazing country - I prefer Wellington over Auckland, but they're both great cities. The only problem with this place is the cost of living.
Rent is loving high, food is expensive and wages are comparatively low for tech sector jobs (and they're one of the better paid jobs in this place - I honestly have no idea how blue collar workers get by living in the main cities).
I could get off a plane tomorrow and earn double what I am now in Melbourne without much hassle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Auckland food can be a mixed bag - you get quite a bit of variety (thanks, immigrant communities), but it can be a bit hit-and-miss. Rotorua has some of the best cafes I've ever been to, on the other hand.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Remember that you'll never be able to buy a house in Auckland proper. Prices aren't Tokyo bad, but give 'em time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Remember that you'll never be able to buy a house in Auckland proper. Prices aren't Tokyo bad, but give 'em time.

To be honest Wellington prices aren't a whole lot better. A three bedroom in Wellington will set you back $700k+ these days, and for inner city you're looking at $1m+

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 20, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

:perfect:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
real good

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Auckland loving sucks it's insanely bad to get literally anywhere in because the road system is like a blind mentally disabled caterpillar had a seizure in a bowl of soy sauce then fell on the city planner's map.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean, at least if you get lost in Auckland you can drive back up the street you came down.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Auckland loving sucks it's insanely bad to get literally anywhere in because the road system is like a blind mentally disabled caterpillar had a seizure in a bowl of soy sauce then fell on the city planner's map.

Just live, work and arrange your social life around the train network. It only craps out once or twice a week.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Just live, work and arrange your social life around the train network. It only craps out once or twice a week.

For real, my brother was looking at a house in Kelston, 3br with a section for like 700k and it was like 30mins into the city door to door because it was right by the train station

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm expecting to interview for a tech job in Auckland soon, and while it sounds promising, I am not feeling great about the price of rent, and the traffic. :ohdear:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Fletchers is hiring for Accounting positions atm - gimme a buzz if you're interested.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

NZ is an amazing country - I prefer Wellington over Auckland, but they're both great cities. The only problem with this place is the cost of living.
Rent is loving high, food is expensive and wages are comparatively low for tech sector jobs (and they're one of the better paid jobs in this place - I honestly have no idea how blue collar workers get by living in the main cities).
I could get off a plane tomorrow and earn double what I am now in Melbourne without much hassle.

I really gotta disagree with you here man, we got a lot of problems too. I think there's a lot of good things about NZ but I do feel like we have a lot to work on, and it feels disingenuous to sell it as paradise in 2018 eh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Are they primarily looking for licensed accountants or creative accountants?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

just popping in to say gently caress Auckland

I mean unless you enjoy contemplating suicide on the reg because some useless oval office decided for the umpteenth time to crash and bring traffic around the whole loving region screeching to a halt (even though someone did literally that in Petone today lol)

Source: Myself- Wellington liver after having lived in Auckland for ~3 months

also,

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Schwa posted:

I really gotta disagree with you here man, we got a lot of problems too. I think there's a lot of good things about NZ but I do feel like we have a lot to work on, and it feels disingenuous to sell it as paradise in 2018 eh

As compared to?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

To be honest Wellington prices aren't a whole lot better. A three bedroom in Wellington will set you back $700k+ these days, and for inner city you're looking at $1m+

I am 30 mins train ride from town (silverstream) I spent around 400k on a 2.5 bedroom home with a pretty good yard a year ago. The house prices are not so bad if you look in the right place, but I get the feeling it's only gonna inflate as people in my position start looking out of the city. I mean, I am old but I have an 18 month old kid so I am competing with cool young 30 year old parents....

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

sebmojo posted:

As compared to?

Yeah this is where my viewpoint was from. We obviously have a poo poo load of problems, but it is comparatively safe, clean and pleasant.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

sebmojo posted:

As compared to?

We are free to set our own standards to live up to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We are free to set our own standards to live up to.

yeah but you need to be in a country unless you're going to take to the air and live on the wind like a dandelion or w/e

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Measuring by comparison is dumb because the world as whole is garbage and people too easily believe that "we're better than X" implies that we're fine, when things are far from fine.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 20, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

Measuring by comparison is dumb because the world as whole is garbage and people too easily believe that "we're better than X" implies that we're fine, when things are far from fine.

is everything the same as everything else

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

is everything the same as everything else

Yes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cool

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You can acknowledge that NZ is one of the best places in the world to live and that we are all privileged to be able to live here, but also that we are far from perfect and should work on the many issues that we have. These are not mutually exclusive viewpoints, as much as this thread loves to poo poo on NZ.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
We are very much looking forward to being there instead of here in Glorious Nippon, at least.

e: in this case the grass is literally greener

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Weatherman posted:

We are very much looking forward to being there instead of here in Glorious Nippon, at least.

e: in this case the grass is literally greener

I'm a kiwi but live in Tokyo at the moment and I'm probably moving back (to Welly) later this year. I'm kinda conflicted tbh, I've loved living here but there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to about being back too. It's nice to have two good options I guess

Wafflecopper posted:

You can acknowledge that NZ is one of the best places in the world to live and that we are all privileged to be able to live here, but also that we are far from perfect and should work on the many issues that we have. These are not mutually exclusive viewpoints, as much as this thread loves to poo poo on NZ.

For sure I don't think anyone would disagree. But also the former doesn't excuse the latter, and yet its mostly when people criticise the country that the old "but Australia/USA/whatever is worse!" gets trotted out as though it absolves us. Which is exactly what happened here - someone said "the only problem" with NZ was the cost of living, someone else reminds him there are a bunch of problems, then its "but compared to..."

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 20, 2018

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Absolutely, and to poo poo on New Zealand is not my intention - I've lived here and I've lived not-here, I'm intending to stay for the foreseeable future, and I do think we have it pretty good in a lot of ways.

Complacency isn't a good approach though. Just because things are good here in a relative sense, it doesn't mean we don't still have a bunch of social issues that we really need to work on, and which complacency hasn't done much for so far.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Chch’s tech industry is smaller but on the other hand I have a 5 minute drive to work.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

xiw posted:

Chch’s tech industry is smaller but on the other hand I have a 5 minute drive to work.

You also live in a city full of people from Christchurch. I'd rather have a 3 hour car-pool commute in a vehicle with the radio stuck on ZB at full volume than suffer through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

hey some of us have to move to Christchurch for school :(

• Locked thread