Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Noticed a conspicuous absence from the list: What Ammo Does it Shoot? - does what it says on the tin for all your random mod weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap, are maps even big enough to support all the materials/biomes you need for Thorium+Calamity+Tremor stuff in a playthrough?

Just started looking into this and combining those three might be a mistake for a coop adventure. Or not. :gibs:

Very excited to look at more fun toys though, especially quality of life mods, looks like Magic Storage might be a must. Gotta look into others. Is there a master list somewhere with recommended mods and descriptions for easy readings? I can look through the thread, though, to start.

From personal experience, I'd recommend picking two megamods instead of three. Once you get to three megamods a lot of the content starts stepping on each others' toes and you simply ignore a ton of potential gear options because there's now 27 types of armor at that tier or whatever.

Of the three, I think Tremor is very weak and poorly done compared to the other two, unless Tremor has had a MASSIVE overhaul in the past few months. Thorium is the most polished and closest to vanilla-style balancing while still being expansive, and Calamity is a lot less balanced than Thorium but still more polished than Tremor and also adds an enormous shitload of endgame stuff while Thorium is fairly bare at that point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I want to say that in my experience, Calamity adds a shitton of complexity to recipes. To make one post Moon Lord weapon, you need to farm materials to make materials to make materials to make a weapon that you then use with more of those previous materials to then make another weapon that you combine with a fourth type of material to then make the desired weapon. It was Factorio levels of complexity without the ability to automate production.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xenaero posted:

Holy crap, are maps even big enough to support all the materials/biomes you need for Thorium+Calamity+Tremor stuff in a playthrough?

Just started looking into this and combining those three might be a mistake for a coop adventure. Or not. :gibs:

Very excited to look at more fun toys though, especially quality of life mods, looks like Magic Storage might be a must. Gotta look into others. Is there a master list somewhere with recommended mods and descriptions for easy readings? I can look through the thread, though, to start.
I recommend Auto Chests so you can have something to generate all the gems you'll need for Magic Storage. It needs quite a lot.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Tremor mod adds zero new yoyos, which makes it the worst mod by far.

It's also super grindy and the boss rewards are insultingly bad at times. Just look at this https://tremormod.gamepedia.com/Tiki_Skull

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That Guy Bob posted:

Tremor mod adds zero new yoyos, which makes it the worst mod by far.

It's also super grindy and the boss rewards are insultingly bad at times. Just look at this https://tremormod.gamepedia.com/Tiki_Skull
That comes in a treasure bag that has a bunch of other items in it. The cosmetic accessories never take the place of the useful gear that can drop.

I started with a medium map for my Thorium/Tremor/Calamity mix and for the most part it works. My only misgiving is that one of the biomes has its own music and it seems to seep into places it doesn't belong, so the consistency of what you're listening to can get jumbled up too much and you don't get to enjoy either song for long enough to feel satisfied. But when it comes to the whole "too much equipment at the same tier" problem, using the recipe browser mod with the item checklist mod lets you know what you can and should do, based all on your preference.

I really wish magic inventory and recipe browser could combine forces to make the ultimate inventory management and crafting system.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveKap posted:

That comes in a treasure bag that has a bunch of other items in it. The cosmetic accessories never take the place of the useful gear that can drop.

It's not a cosmetic thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

It's not a cosmetic thing.

What's insulting about an early emblem? It's a tad lazy but at least you might use it for more than the 5 minutes most non-worm scarf expert drops last.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Has anyone else been having trouble with the gamepedia wiki lately or is it something to do with my connection? Pages will sometimes load for a second but are then immediately replaced with this screen:

If I'm fast enough on the stop button when the page first loads I can read it, but sometimes/some pages only the background loads before it's replaced with the above screen. I'm new to the game and have been leaning on the wiki pretty heavily so this kinda sucks. I know there are at least one or two other Terraria wikis but this one seems to be the most comprehensive and easiest to use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble with the gamepedia wiki lately or is it something to do with my connection? Pages will sometimes load for a second but are then immediately replaced with this screen:

If I'm fast enough on the stop button when the page first loads I can read it, but sometimes/some pages only the background loads before it's replaced with the above screen. I'm new to the game and have been leaning on the wiki pretty heavily so this kinda sucks. I know there are at least one or two other Terraria wikis but this one seems to be the most comprehensive and easiest to use.

Probably just gamepedia getting ddosed again. It's working for me tho

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Wafflecopper posted:

Are you using an ad blocker? If so, check this out for a solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/8dsvnk/is_the_wiki_down_for_anyone_else_this_all_i_get/

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Between big games at the moment so decided to have a little relapse into Terraria, 1st couple of hours were frustrating but then I got my 1st grapple and double jump... I forgot how satisfying the progression is in this game once you get going, there's always something to work towards that's never too far away.

I've had the Gamepedia fail too but the Wikia seems to work fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I turn off javascript and I use Ublock and they load fine.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The Destroyer was a lot easier than I expected. With a small aerial platform, some campfires and heart lanterns, good to go. The Twins, however, took me down pretty quickly, even after I built a decently long sky bridge. Just didn’t have the firepower and/or I really sucked at dodging. Will need to regear and try again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Try making your bridge out of asphalt. Or farm Hallow for the unicorn mount.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

dis astranagant posted:

I totally forgot asphalt was a thing in this game. The whole "use cement to make tiles that help you run faster" thing was purely a Factorio thing in my mind.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah it turned out to be that, thanks. Seems to have fixed itself anyway, guess they got rid of the ad that was causing the problem.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

dis astranagant posted:

I have the mount. My suspicion is that it’s me mostly, I just didn’t do well at fighting them.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
What weapon are you using? If you're ranged, farm up the mats for an Onyx Blaster. It's pretty easy to make and absolutely rules. Also, farm hallowed mimics for a Daedalus Stormbow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you're melee, don't be melee

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

crestfallen posted:

I have the mount. My suspicion is that it’s me mostly, I just didn’t do well at fighting them.

Nah its not just you, I think the Twins are the hardest of the mechanical bosses, they get harder as the fight progresses but the other two get easier.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Stormbow with holy arrows trivializes all three mechanical bosses. Fighting them with anything else is just voluntary hard mode.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Stormbow with holy arrows trivializes all three mechanical bosses. Fighting them with anything else is just voluntary hard mode.

They must be much easier on Mobile then, because someone else and I usually take on the Twins with just enchanted swords (not even beam swords), and even once with me trying to drill into them with a Drax once, leftover from pre-hardmode from a hell chest. I probably didn't do the majority of the damage that time, but I do remember once actually doing nearly all of the damage to (and killing) Skeletron Prime by sitting on top of it with a Drax while he slow-pursued the other player.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

They must be much easier on Mobile then, because someone else and I usually take on the Twins with just enchanted swords (not even beam swords), and even once with me trying to drill into them with a Drax once, leftover from pre-hardmode from a hell chest. I probably didn't do the majority of the damage that time, but I do remember once actually doing nearly all of the damage to (and killing) Skeletron Prime by sitting on top of it with a Drax while he slow-pursued the other player.
As far as I can tell, the Mobile and PC/Console version are different enough that advice for one is not useful for the other.

For example, on PC the Drax (or the pickaxe form, the Pickaxe Axe) is crafted, and requires drops from all three of the mechanical bosses to make.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

In the case of The Destroyer I trivialized that fight with a medusa head. It hits every segment in range each time you blast it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In the case of The Destroyer I trivialized that fight with a medusa head. It hits every segment in range each time you blast it.
Oh man. I did not realize it would do that! TIL.

I went with a magic focused character this time around. I played ranged the last time around, but that was like 1.2 (..maybe?) and well before mods.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haven't played Terraria since some time long before hard mode, and wow the game has improved. Quick stack, more biomes and doing poo poo is just generally easier somehow. I don't remember that much except for inventory management and building being kind of a pain in the rear end back in the day.

If I want to install a mod that adds cool poo poo to explore without upping the difficulty overly much, what should I choose? I mention difficulty because I'm kind of inept at platformers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thorium, Spirit or Grealm for content (not more than 2 of those, clutter expands exponentially). https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5ssv2n/list_of_mods_worth_checking_out_tmodloader/ the bottom of this list has a bunch of qol mods to check out, especially Magic Storage.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got back into this game since playing 1.1 and I'm absolutely loving it.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Aside from ease of access, and mob spawning rules, is there a reason for having all the NPCs clustered together?

I'm currently working on a medium expert world that will have them (NPCs) spread out a bit. Most buildings (except the guide) will house at least two NPCs. I think so far my farthest building is about 5*1600 screens from it's neighbor. The second is only about a screen and a half away. The rest will probably be fairly close.

Oh, minus the Angler. I may keep him on the coast. Not sure if I want to do that though.

I'm pulling a few ideas off the web as far as building designs go, but once I'm close to finished I'll throw a few screen grabs up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arkitektbmw posted:

Aside from ease of access, and mob spawning rules, is there a reason for having all the NPCs clustered together?

If you put those aside, then no. Besides some NPCs like the fun guy want a specific biome. If you want to collect rare items you'll need to cycle the painter through a bunch of different places.

It's generally faster and less resource-consuming to make one big building in which you can stuff everyone rather than several smaller buildings, but if you have fun building stuff, that's rather a reason to make several houses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

If you put those aside, then no. Besides some NPCs like the fun guy want a specific biome. If you want to collect rare items you'll need to cycle the painter through a bunch of different places.
Some of these places are the Corruption/Crimson, where you can't build valid housing, note.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Wait, how do you get them there if you can’t have valid housing there?

Build it in a valid area, THEN make it Crimson or whatever?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Last time I needed those paintings for something I used the King Statue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

Some of these places are the Corruption/Crimson, where you can't build valid housing, note.

Nah, you can.

First, to get a corruption/crimson biome going, you need 200 evil points (200 tiles of the relevant evil grass, stone, ice, thorns, vines, and/or shrooms). But to make housing invalid, the local evil score needs to be above 250. So you get some leeway to have an evil biome that's small enough to be acceptable for habitation.

Furthermore, you can reduce the house's evil rating by putting in sunflowers. Each one decrease the rating by 5.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, you learn something new every day, I guess.
I suppose picking up like, exactly 200 crimsand and dropping it near a house might be more reliable than wiring up a king statue and pushing the button until the painter pops out and hoping nobody dies during this.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I was able to get NPCs to move into my cenobite-rear end hellbase built into an underground jungle/crimson collision by mining out a bunch of out of sight crimstone and filling the space with hallowed sand.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
post pics

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

It was like five years ago and this was the only pic I have saved on Steam. Can't see the jungle from this shot, but maneaters would occasionally pop through the bottom right and bite NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
That's great, like the npcs are living in a very big person.