Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

It's kind of necessary for places like Japan where there's no street names. But lol that they don't turn that off by region.

“turn right at the 7-11” won’t help either though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

It's kind of necessary for places like Japan where there's no street names. But lol that they don't turn that off by region.

they shouldn't turn it off, it's useful everywhere

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fishmech posted:

they shouldn't turn it off, it's useful everywhere

Not in hell holes like the bay area where there are no visually distinctive buildings whatsoever. It'd be great in Wisconsin.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

Not in hell holes like the bay area where there are no visually distinctive buildings whatsoever. It'd be great in Wisconsin.

nobody cares about overgrown suburb "the bay area"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

nobody cares about overgrown suburb "the bay area"
do you think people don't drive in the bay area

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
not needed in Japan because they have :chome:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fishmech posted:

everybody only cares about overgrown suburb "the bay area"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

do you think people don't drive in the bay area

it's a pretty bold claim that there are "people" in the bay area

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

google:

Sagebrush posted:

turn into the SUNSET BEST LIQUOR AND SMOKES and continue on the route

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

it's a pretty bold claim that there are "people" in the bay area
ok then "resources" or whatever dehumanizing term you'd prefer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hey, its gmaps not waze

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

ok then "resources" or whatever dehumanizing term you'd prefer

nice joke, but any entity who can afford 10 million dollar houses isn't remotely human

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

hey, its gmaps not waze

literal lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

nice joke, but any entity who can afford 10 million dollar houses isn't remotely human
i don't know why you're unaware but the drivers for uber or instacart or postmates or any other gig economy app doesn't actually make a lot of money

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

i don't know why you're unaware but the drivers for uber or instacart or postmates or any other gig economy app doesn't actually make a lot of money

i don't know why you're unaware but the entire bay area is an empty hellscape only populated with the projected images of trillionaires playing at being human, and has been ever since 1994

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fishmech posted:

i don't know why you're unaware but the entire bay area is an empty hellscape only populated with the projected images of trillionaires playing at being human, and has been ever since 1994

please keep talking about my former boss that way

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

seems like they still got a bunch of cars down there. do you think they're all self-driving

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

seems like they still got a bunch of cars down there. do you think they're all self-driving

seeing how the rich treat the underclasses, to them, yes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

it’s probably brand new everywhere

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
the town i grew up in had large street signs and legal limitations on how large/tall/bright business signs could be, so this sounded to me like “to continue navigation, turn right at MCDONALDS”

im sure this feature will be used with recognizable landmarks within a 10 mile radius around mountain view, but otherwise it’s just whichever business on a. crossroads paid the most

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

again, the fictional society of "bay area" does not exist. the very principles it claims to be based on are massively untenable. you'd think the writers would have gotten a clue that "ranch house costs 50 billion dollars and pays 5 dollars tax yearly" was implausible but apparently not.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cis autodrag posted:

surely google introduced it for advertising purposes

same way you can bid for keyword ads on search you will be able to bid for your brand name as the one that gets mentioned to help people get to the strip club

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

this has always been the google end game :allears:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

fishmech posted:

again, the fictional society of "bay area" does not exist. the very principles it claims to be based on are massively untenable. you'd think the writers would have gotten a clue that "ranch house costs 50 billion dollars and pays 5 dollars tax yearly" was implausible but apparently not.

ok I have to know, what would you consider a nice (sub)urban area to live with active nightlife, parks, good culture, etc.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

ok I have to know, what would you consider a nice (sub)urban area to live with active nightlife, parks, good culture, etc.

fishmeching engaged

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

cambridge massachusetts for a suburb

new york city for a city

notably, neither of these places require you to have 3 million bucks on hand just to buy a place

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishmech posted:

"If you don't live with a lot of roommates to bring rents down, you're not human" - fishmech

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech posted:

new york city for a city

notably, neither of these places require you to have 3 million bucks on hand just to buy a place

lmbo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wild EEPROM posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17253308/google-allo-texting-paused-android-messages

remember, never depend on anything google makes

guess somebody should update the official list

http://didgoogleshutdown.com

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 20, 2018

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

fishmech posted:

new york city for a city

can’t wait to see the technically correct gyrations for claiming real estate in nyc isn’t super expensive

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
id go further than that - dont even bother investigating or playing with any new google services (theyll just change the ui and remove features without warning and then sunset the project)

that time you spent learning how to use buzz or wave or allo could have been better spent doing literally anything else

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fishmech posted:

new york city for a city

:captainpop:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this article starts with a lot of fluff but then goes pretty deep into the clusterfuck that is google messaging. lol at hangouts becoming a slack competitor.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage-texting

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

this article starts with a lot of fluff but then goes pretty deep into the clusterfuck that is google messaging. lol at hangouts becoming a slack competitor.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage-texting

quote:

Allo also likely suffered from Google messaging app fatigue. People worried it wouldn’t be supported over the long term. (It turns out, they were right.)

lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
glad to see google answer to allo failing isn't to reinvest in hangouts but make it a lovely corporate client that will be used by no one,
but to make a lovely ip messaging protocol without encryption that carriers can charge as if it were regular text messages.

Like what the gently caress, at that point may as well just give up instead of rolling out the worst garbage that anyone could think of

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

my entire take away is the same as always

why are people spending $1k on android phones?

forget all of googles faults for a second and just honestly

*very seinfeld voice* who are these people?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the russians used sms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

for real though what's wrong with an ordinary text message

say your plan is to improve on plain vanilla sms, well guess what you aren't displacing insta or snapchat, and if you are then congrats you've invented whatsapp

also just lol at "nobody used it cause they thought we were going to abandon it", man it must be awful to have your users aggregating data about their experiences with you and using what they learn to your detriment

• Locked thread