Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HellCopter posted:

Is this forest technically within school grounds? Maybe it's not trespassing yet? I just want Gentle and La Brava to be okay :ohdear:

Regardless they've committed a bunch of crimes including robbery and attacking professional heroes. They are definitely criminals and won't be treated well if they are caught. I'm hoping Gentle's gambit isn't how it resolves since him going to jail and LaBrava getting away is probably going to result in his prediction that she will keep going and I want them both to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
In a non-surprising twist, Gentle was considerate enough to bounce Deku back to where he left the rope.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The only bad part about this arc is it's going to be like 3 years before I can see it animated :colbert: . I love these two goofs and this is one of my favorite arcs.

HellCopter posted:

Is this forest technically within school grounds? Maybe it's not trespassing yet? I just want Gentle and La Brava to be okay :ohdear:
Even if they aren't trespassing, they're wanted criminals. I get the impression they're basically turning themselves in to the authorities and Gentle's hoping for a lenient sentence, especially for La Brava. He's doing it to protect her/them from going to jail forever or her killing herself or trying to break him out if he's the only one locked up.

So far what are the charges for what they've done? Unauthorized quirk use, small-time robberies, and some vandalism? But getting into a knock-down fight with a hero in training, hacking into the school's security, and trespassing would probably carry a heavier sentence.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Every fight that Gentle has been in has seemed to be self-defense on his part, as Heroes don't tend to solve their problems without violence, and given their "defenders of the status quo" role in society, even committing a minor crime to expose massive corporate malfeasance is probably met with any Hero being introduced to the situation throwing down immediately with the "criminal" in question (hell, Gentle even just outright started calling himself that at some point, they acknowledge it themselves).

Even the "non-violent" Heroes that have some subdual/restraining method, you either have the choice of letting them catch you and going to Japanese-style jail or fighting back, so long as you don't have a really OP travel quirk to make a getaway with (and Gentle's elasticity quirk is pretty sweet for making those bounces, but it's not exactly teleportation or fast flight or super-speed or whatever).

I'm not saying he hasn't engaged in violence, mind, I'm just saying, he hasn't really set out to beat up Heroes specifically (though he probably didn't mind the potential likes and faves result he might achieve when they came to him, sad as they kind of were).

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I hope Gentle gets shown no leniency and they throw the book at him.

But due to the low stakes of their crimes he gets 3 months probation and she gets 80 hours community service.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He did totally decimate those five pro-heroes that tried to stop him robbing that convenience store (where he left the money anyway). Even when you are defending yourself, fighting agents of the state isn't something the state is going to deal with leniently.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, Gentle's not going to supermax to hang with AfO and Stain. Best case, he and La Brava get a couple months in minimum security and end up doing community service teaching media studies at UA.

UA isn't closed; everybody dances; Eri smiles for the first time in her life; we get more Gentle and La Brava on down the road.

What a horrible arc!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mercury Hat posted:

The only bad part about this arc is it's going to be like 3 years before I can see it animated :colbert: . I love these two goofs and this is one of my favorite arcs.

Even if they aren't trespassing, they're wanted criminals. I get the impression they're basically turning themselves in to the authorities and Gentle's hoping for a lenient sentence, especially for La Brava. He's doing it to protect her/them from going to jail forever or her killing herself or trying to break him out if he's the only one locked up.

So far what are the charges for what they've done? Unauthorized quirk use, small-time robberies, and some vandalism? But getting into a knock-down fight with a hero in training, hacking into the school's security, and trespassing would probably carry a heavier sentence.

I dunno, if season 3 is going to get us through AfO I could see this being in season 5 unless I'm forgetting something big. Overhaul arc is substantial enough for season 4 in itself and I'm sure they'll clean up some of the pacing issues. Season 3 came out only 7 months after the end of season 2 and they seem to be wanting to capitalize on MHA fever while it's hot.

Out of curiosity, anyone here have grade school age kids? I'm curious how this is being distributed and taken by its actual target audience. I could easily see it being like what Pokemon or Dragonball Z was to 90s kids.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My favorite panel of this chapter is the one where Gentle looks exactly like Deku does when he's going all-out.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm happy Deku won this fight and didn't break any of his bones.But now he has to get back in time for Eri so see him dance :ohdear:

Yeah, this is still my biggest worry of the arc. I just want him to dance with his friends and make Eri happy. :ohdear:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Assuming Deku makes it in time, I wonder if some of the more perceptive students like Bakugou will notice that he's been in a fight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nonexistence posted:

if season 3 is going to get us through AfO I could see this being in season 5 unless I'm forgetting something big.

This'll definitely be in Season 5, yeah. All Might vs AfO is gonna be the mid-season climax for s3 with Deku vs Bakugou 2 being the season finale. I can easily see Season 4 covering up to the end of Overhaul, and I can see this being the end of cour 1 for season 5.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
we're like certainly getting united states of smash this season in the anime right? i never really watched full eps but the youtube clips are all amazing and i wanna see that so bad

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tekne posted:

Assuming Deku makes it in time, I wonder if some of the more perceptive students like Bakugou will notice that he's been in a fight.

I mean, he does have a big bloody nose, that's kind of hard to miss.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tbp posted:

we're like certainly getting united states of smash this season in the anime right? i never really watched full eps but the youtube clips are all amazing and i wanna see that so bad

Considering current pacing, that's almost definitely happening this season, yeah, and it's going to be awesome seeing it fully animated and with a cool song in the background.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

This'll definitely be in Season 5, yeah. All Might vs AfO is gonna be the mid-season climax for s3 with Deku vs Bakugou 2 being the season finale. I can easily see Season 4 covering up to the end of Overhaul, and I can see this being the end of cour 1 for season 5.

All Might vs AfO is my absolute favorite part of the series and I can't wait to see it animated. It's gonna loving rule!

I wonder if s3 will end with the introduction of the Big 3 to tease the next season. I really want to see Mirio animated.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, on the one hand, you've got a pair of idealists who don't fit into society and are using their extremely strong quirks to try to carve out their place. And on the other, you have a group of people who actively prey on talent like that.

I suspect Gentle and La Brava are going to get recruited by the League of Villains. They're exactly the patsies Itchy Hands Bad Touch Man likes to push around.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They would never join them. It's absurd to think that someone like Gentle would join a group of killers.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ChaseSP posted:

They would never join them. It's absurd to think that someone like Gentle would join a group of killers.

What if the alternative is La Brava dying in jail?

Plus he'll finally be famous and feared.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hero society isn't that dystopian, yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't want to read this comic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mystic Mongol posted:

All For One, literally the single most dangerous criminal in Quirk history, was not executed despite being very, very dangerous. La Brava is, at worst, getting a small sentence, she'll be fine. This isn't a horribly grimdark manga, thankfully.

Also Gentle wants to be famous, sure, but not feared. He wants to be admired. Fear and admiration do not go hand in hand, and considering how he's a GENTLE Criminal, being feared would go completely against his persona and ambitions.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tekne posted:

Hero society isn't that dystopian, yet.

Imagine a man and his accomplice. They are charming people, but they are also performance art criminals. They have a few dozen youtube videos of their crimes, which fall pretty much 50/50 into two catagories.

• Performing minor acts of civic disobediance.
  • Beating up cops.

How long do they spend in jail?

Besides, the Society of Villains could use some members who can get turned to the light. I like Toga, but there's no way she retires to running a small store and helping guide the next generation of society.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

tbp posted:

There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it 4 second clip of All Might charging up a massive attack against AFO in the OP for season 3.

The show is only about 20 chapters of content away from OFA vs AFO so they'd really have to drag the Summer camp stuff out to not include it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo Horikoshi's art was on point this chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

gentle wants to be famous but he doesn't want to be feared. he doesn't even like fighting

I think he views himself as more of a robin hood character than the joker or w/e it is shigaraki's going for

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really, really, REALLY liked the last panel.
So expressive.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ChaseSP posted:

Gentle wouldn't, but La Brava, set adrift by Gentle's arrest? I could see it. Gentle's fear that she would do worse crimes without him there seems to open that possibility, and she's emotionally vulnerable enough that she could be manipulated. It would be a pretty dark turn, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Gentle wouldn't, but La Brava, set adrift by Gentle's arrest? I could see it. Gentle's fear that she would do worse crimes without him there seems to open that possibility, and she's emotionally vulnerable enough that she could be manipulated. It would be a pretty dark turn, though.

La Brava joining the Villain Alliance in return for a (potentially false) promise of help in breaking Gentle out of prison would be an incredibly sad and dark but plausible outcome, especially since even if her quirk only works on Gentle, she's got a skill set that is incredibly useful for doing incredibly bad things. I mean, poo poo, their plan to infiltrate UA involved her cracking open its security systems on the fly.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I just went back and re-read the chapter and really just have to say the art is amazing. Everything from the small details like Deku's crumbling gloves to the big spreads where they're grappling and the St. Louis smash.

Horikoshi has a talent for presenting action in a way that's easy to follow with keen attention to detail.

As for the chapter itself, I don't think Deku's just going to give up on it there. He seemed genuinely taken aback at how upset La Brava was. He might still help them out somehow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deku sucks. Gentle shoulda won

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku rules and I'm glad he saved the festival.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gentle is a true gentleman, so manly in the traditional sense. Kirishima and Tetsutetsu would love him

I feel that both parties win here, as it'll look like Gentle and La Brava were just like trespassing on UA. I want to see more of Gentle as we progress, maybe in a more positive light

also Deku's gonna make it back on time and that owns

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Deku sucks. Gentle shoulda won

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

also Deku's gonna make it back on time and that owns

do you think he'll have forgotten the rope

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Momo will just make the rope since she likes being helpful and will be annoyed no one asked her in the first place.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Someone mentioned minimum security earlier and I'm wondering how you even do minimum security for someone with a quirk like Gentle's. Minimum security for him might resemble maximum security for a regular guy.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

They need some sea stone Eraserhead(?) handcuffs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Manatee Cannon posted:

do you think he'll have forgotten the rope

for sure, it's still Deku; also Hatsume is gonna be PISSED that Deku broke the gloves on the first try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A minimum security prison in Finland is just a house