Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Basically they can't make a functional imessage clone so they are trying to get carriers to do it for them. Lol that they thought this about allo tho

we would get hundreds of millions of people to get excited about and use 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

flakeloaf posted:

for real though what's wrong with an ordinary text message

well, if your carrier is Google Fi, regular text messages are randomly delayed by 10-24 hours

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

well, if your carrier is Google Fi, regular text messages are randomly delayed by 10-24 hours
this is super obnoxious and it's amazing it still happens

still, i'm willing to put up with a lot when the service is $30

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

tmobile delayed my incoming sms by like a week just two weeks ago. i dont send a lot of texts but i was surprised that no one i talked to replied at all then all at once i got a weeks worth of replies

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bhodi posted:

this is super obnoxious and it's amazing it still happens

still, i'm willing to put up with a lot when the service is $30

it's more factoring in data costs, but on the other hand free international roaming is p good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

For 30 bucks you can get 2gb of data on tmobiles service through simple mobile and poo poo actually works the way it's supposed to, plus you can bring whatever phone you want. It's not like anyone ever needed sprint

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

tmobile delayed my incoming sms by like a week just two weeks ago. i dont send a lot of texts but i was surprised that no one i talked to replied at all then all at once i got a weeks worth of replies

I text a lot and never had this problem, I'd immediately switch if I did

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I text a lot and never had this problem, I'd immediately switch if I did

id switch too if i sent more than ten texts a month but i dont so i wont

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i still use my google voice number for sms, i'm kind of shocked it's still around

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol also my outgoing sms worked just fine and i care more about people hearing what i say than hearing what it is they said in reply

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

loving uberwald always burning down the clacks towers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

id switch too if i sent more than ten texts a month but i dont so i wont

fair

anthonypants posted:

i still use my google voice number for sms, i'm kind of shocked it's still around

yea it's extremely good and they've threatened to shut it down multiple times, I have no idea how it hasn't been. something useful from google is usually a death sentence by itself

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

you know its just because they have no idea how to untangle it from fi

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
the real reason why they've stopped working on Allo: a new challenger appears, Google Chat

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/19/google-chat-rcs-sms-messages-android/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Biodome posted:

the real reason why they've stopped working on Allo: a new challenger appears, Google Chat

flakeloaf posted:

also just lol at "nobody used it cause they thought we were going to abandon it", man it must be awful to have your users aggregating data about their experiences with you and using what they learn to your detriment

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

making yet another app does not inspire user confidence google

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Biodome posted:

I like that the demo is about a dumb company chat bot. Engaging with brands is the number one goal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I like that the demo is about a dumb company chat bot. Engaging with brands is the number one goal.

not only that but lmao google did it and then facebook jumped on and as it turns out nobody uses them because guessing the right commands to give to a bot… sucks rear end

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
as long as you can still tell who is poor and uses an android phone google can do whatever it wants

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

as many posts of the google chat article as there are google messaging products

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

as long as you can still tell who is poor and uses an android phone google can do whatever it wants

yep green bubbles will still be a badge of shame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not only that but lmao google did it and then facebook jumped on and as it turns out nobody uses them because guessing the right commands to give to a bot… sucks rear end

what if that but you also had to yell it it? amazon's spending billions doing just that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ShadowHawk posted:

"If you don't live with a lot of roommates to bring rents down, you're not human" - fishmech

Millionaire slumlord thinks packing 50 people into a 2 bedroom house is affordable, lol.

Phobeste posted:

can’t wait to see the technically correct gyrations for claiming real estate in nyc isn’t super expensive

king me bitch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fishmech posted:

Millionaire slumlord thinks packing 50 people into a 2 bedroom house is affordable, lol.

king me bitch

1000 sq ft for a half million "isn't expensive"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

This burned-out Silicon Valley home just sold for $900,000 — and it took less than a week

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rex-Goliath posted:

it isn't tho, unless you're comparing it to some rustbelt flyover with more cows than people and no concept of public infrastructure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or detroit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bay Area Home With Holes in Roof, Mildew Sells for $1.23M

Fremont home was condemned

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it isn't tho, unless you're comparing it to some rustbelt flyover with more cows than people and no concept of public infrastructure

there are surprisingly places in the US that aren't NYC or SV that also have people and houses for less than half a million dollars.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

infernal machines posted:

lol

could you afford it on the median family income in the area? (no.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

Bay Area Home With Holes in Roof, Mildew Sells for $1.23M

Fremont home was condemned

bighead sold bachmann's house I guess

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bighead sold bachmann's house I guess

bighead doesn't have bachmann's house jian-yang does
:goonsay:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fishmech posted:

king me bitch

yeah let me live out by jfk for a cool half mil, jesus shut the gently caress up

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rex-Goliath posted:

Fictional location "bay area" charges 3 million dollars for a crumbled brick wall on 200 square feet of land

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishmech posted:

lol there's no way I'm buying a house here. I rent just like you and don't have my 7 figgies yet.

realtalk if you're buying a 2 mil home you should have 10 mil or so in the bank otherwise you're putting an unreasonably huge chunk of your wealth on a single asset in a bubbly as gently caress market

and if you have 10 mil in the bank you should loving retire and move out of SV

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

Fictional location "bay area" charges 3 million dollars for a crumbled brick wall on 200 square feet of land

it's expensive here but don't be specious. the houses on my street (about 1500 sqft, 2br row houses with garage) go for around a million each.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

quick reminder that opposing the apartheid state of israel is not anti-semitic

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anthonypants posted:

my mom still calls my google voice number every loving time.

i set that up in 2009ish and i think used it half a dozen times. it's a loving 740 area code that i got because the remainder of the number spells my name. i don't even know how i'd disable it if i wanted to.

syscall girl posted:

loving uberwald always burning down the clacks towers

the more pratchett went on, the more his discworld books were 'what if <x>, but discworld'

what if telegraphs, but discworld
what if movies, but discworld
what if newspapers, but discworld
what if trains, but discworld (the only one i couldn't finish)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

and it's a basement apartment in a slum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

yeah let me live out by jfk for a cool half mil, jesus shut the gently caress up

out by jfk in a neighborhood so bad the fast food restaurants have lexan barriers to protect the staff

the only reason to go to jamaica, new york is that you are a deadbeat dad or a criminal. (literally. that's where the family court building is.)

• Locked thread