Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Here's a real winner from Reddit's bastion of STDH r/IDontWorkHereLady:

Reddit posted:

A few years ago, I was a sweet summer child freshly out of college with zero idea what I wanted to do with my life, I was a homeowner after maternal unit moved overseas and gave the house to me, and I decided to work for a house painting company for one summer while I got my metaphorical ducks in a row.

The next summer, I was out of the painting business and working as an EMT, which meant sometimes I would have a full day or two off (24 on/48 off). I noticed my house was in some need of paint touch ups, so I decided to do them myself. I had brushes, paint, nothing to do, and some beer, so I went at it one Tuesday afternoon.

So I’m working on the frame of the front door, dressed in old painter whites and a T-shirt with the sleeves cut off, and I sit down to let the primer dry and have a beer. I’m happily perched on the front step when I notice a can-I-speak-to-your-manager haircut with a face that looks like she just ate 12 lemons staring at me from the sidewalk. My front lawn is decently long and slopes down a hill, but I could see an artery pulsing in her neck from my spot.

She had a dog next to her, so I just wave and say “cute dog!” I guess my words broke the floodgates, and she unleashed upon me a verbal assault of which I understood about 30%.

The gist: “HOW DARE YOU DRINK ON THE JOB ON THIS NICE PROPERTY. YOU DON’T DESERVE TO SIT THERE AND WASTE THE HARD EARNED MONEY OF THE WELL EDUCATED PERSON THAT OWNS THIS PLACE”

While I’m pondering this, she’s still spewing frothing condescension at me, which culminated in “UNEDUCATED, LAZY, MENIAL, FREELOADING, IMMIGRANT DRUNKS LIKE YOU ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY”

Well, I’m white. Like, really white. Blond hair, green eyes. Born and raised in the good old US of A. Specifically, in this house. Perhaps I look like some sort of insidious immigrant from far away, so I stand up and make my way down to her, but not before cracking open another beer.

She’s positively quivering with anger and indignation, her dog is pulling at the leash to say hi to me, and so I bend down to say hello back, when she says “WELL, WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?”

I raise myself to my full 6’2” height, which towers over her little 5’ nothing self. She doesn’t back down, and the following conversation ensues.

Me: “Hello ma’am, what seems to be the problem?”

Her: scoffs “YOU. Sitting there wasting the homeowner’s money so you can get paid to be a lazy drunk.”

Me: “Oh, I’m being paid? Seems odd, I didn’t feel the need to pay myself for this, but I suppose that could be fun to try.”

Her, gears turning: “Pay yourself? Don’t make me laugh, some deadbeat like you couldn’t afford this house. You need an education for a real job.”

I’m wondering what her education fixation is all about, but not caring all that much, I just want to entertain her conversation enough to really get her mad. Maybe her head will explode.

Me: “Well, I didn’t buy this house, my mother did, but she left it to me when she moved overseas after I graduated from college.”

Her, smirking: “Oh, did you go to local community college, known for not being that great? Only someone working as a painter would go there.”

Me: “Actually, if you look at my shirt, you’ll see it says ‘Ivy League School Athletics’, which is where I attended school and played a sport. I am in good shape because of that, so I figured I would keep that up by working on improving my own home while having a few beers to cool off in this heat. Did you attend community college? Because if so, I can see how you might not be able to understand that.”

Disclaimer: nothing wrong with that CC, it’s where I got my EMT license. Just wanted to watch her boil, and oh boy did she.

Her eyes widen bigger than I thought possible, and her mouth starts working like elderly folks‘s do when they’ve lost a lot of teeth, lots of lip twisting. This culminates in her reading her ugly head back, and spitting on the front of my shirt. “You probably stole that from someone, you ungrateful piece of poo poo.”

Okay, wow, not sure what I’m ungrateful for, and ew germs, so I tell her that’s it’s been fun but I’m going to continue working and turn to walk back up the lawn. She grabs the back of my shirt and attempts to pull me backwards, doesn’t work, so I spin around and smack her hand off me.

She flops like a premier league soccer player, flinging herself all over my lawn, howling like she’s been shot. She’s let go of the dog’s leash, so he comes over to me for pets, happy as a clam.

Her yodeling has brought some neighbors out of their homes, including my cool next door ones. They come over and I give them the story, and ask for their phone to call the cops (mine was inside charging), they laugh and hand it over. I let the cops know that some cootcanoe is gyrating loudly on my lawn, could they please come remove her.

I return to my work, my cool neighbors probably have started making popcorn. A little while later, I hear the cops arrive, Crazy is still singing her hosed up opera, and starts screaming at the cops a story of a belligerently drunk squatter (who’s painting said site of squatting??) who chased her with a baseball bat and broke her arm in multiple places. Her talons point to me, so I come down and tell the cops the whole story.

They crack up, apparently they know the nutcase by name, and so they tell her to call her husband to get the dog “again”, and cuff her for trespassing and disorderly conduct. Dog hung out with me until the husband, apologizing profusely, came and got him. He also informed me that they are in divorce proceedings, so that may have made her “crazier than usual”.

Never saw the lady again, thank god, but have developed a neighborly friendship with her ex and the pup. Alls well that ends well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IDontWorkHereLady/comments/8dfj1r/i_dont_work_here_here_is_my_home_that_i_own_that/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

quote:

A few years ago, I was a sweet summer child freshly out of college

thats as far as i got you win

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Former DILF posted:

thats as far as i got you win

I made it to "maternal unit" and could go no further

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I could even believe that some shithead busybody made a rude comment to a person painting a house, but that poo poo is so obnoxious and poorly written that I'd bet the farm on nothing in the story being true.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Passing busybody: "Hey, you shouldn't be drinking on the job!"

Dude: "gently caress off, this is my house."

And, scene.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I ran into the best reveal in STDH on Tumblr.

Someone posted about how they once attended a Midsummer Night’s Dream performance that was framed as a fever dream from eating a Chipotle burrito and had a bunch of surreal imagery. Of course everyone said it was obviously fake and dumb.

Then someone went “No, this was my play” and posted photos and a video of the entire production and it really loving happened.

http://vampireapologist.tumblr.com/post/170844619288/cyanideending-cyanideending

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Passing busybody: "Hey, you shouldn't be drinking on the job!"

Dude: "gently caress off, this is my house."

And, scene.

But what's the narrative here? What's the angle? There's no emotion!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I ran into the best reveal in STDH on Tumblr.

Someone posted about how they once attended a Midsummer Night’s Dream performance that was framed as a fever dream from eating a Chipotle burrito and had a bunch of surreal imagery. Of course everyone said it was obviously fake and dumb.

Then someone went “No, this was my play” and posted photos and a video of the entire production and it really loving happened.

http://vampireapologist.tumblr.com/post/170844619288/cyanideending-cyanideending

the bar is so loving low for gimmicky shakespeare plays that you'd be hard pressed to find one that hasn't been done professionally

shakespeare in the park, shakespeare in the nude, shakespeare but everyone is black except patrick stewart, shakespeare but with dogs, shakespeare but it's set in the present, shakespeare, but it's in the future, shakespeare in the past, but in the wrong place...

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Shakespeare but they're lions

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Shakespeare but X is the drama class equivalent of All Star but X.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hamlet but with a really short protagonist

I’ll call it Manlet

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Furia posted:

Hamlet but with a really short protagonist

I’ll call it Manlet

Hamlet atop a County Kildare brewing company?

Hamlet On Rye

Don't blame me. YOU STARTED IT! I LEARNED IT FROM YOU!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Steamed Hamlets

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Macbeath.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Shakespeare but every time they say a word Shakespeare coined it gets 5% faster.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Splicer posted:

Shakespeare but every time they say a word Shakespeare coined it gets 5% faster.

...I'd... I'd want to see this one

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

the bar is so loving low for gimmicky shakespeare plays that you'd be hard pressed to find one that hasn't been done professionally

shakespeare in the park, shakespeare in the nude, shakespeare but everyone is black except patrick stewart, shakespeare but with dogs, shakespeare but it's set in the present, shakespeare, but it's in the future, shakespeare in the past, but in the wrong place...

I did three Shakespeare plays in high school. Midsummer was done in the 80s (I was dressed like Lloyd Dobler in his trench coat) and Much Ado About Nothing was shifted to a college campus where it was the debate team instead of soldiers returning from war.

Romeo & Juliet is where poo poo got weird. It was set in the 1960s, with the Montagues being made up of anti-authoritarian hippies, draft dodgers, and veterans and the Capulets being made up of white collar businessmen and their families. But the director got the idea to make it meta, by framing it as being the real 1960s where the Shakespeare performance was actually a community theatre performance being put on to help settle local tensions during the Vietnam War. So everyone not only had their Shakespearean character, but also their actor character, and the actors had all sorts of connections between each other.

The basic idea was included in the program, but none of the actor characters had any details of their histories or relationships given to the audience. We had to try and express them through our "out-of-character" reactions to events, including every fight scene devolving into a real brawl that culminates in Mercutio getting stabbed and Tybalt getting shot "for real" on stage.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It's me, the perfect 6'2 blonde hair green eyes ivy league athlete getting into it and assaulting a mentally ill person

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Why does everyone have green eyes. Ive never met anyone with them

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Shakespeare in Love except everyone is a stuffed toy animal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkvX7Um7ww :nws:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Nuclear War posted:

My favorite STDH is people who insist that their eyes change colors depending on their mood. For instance, right now I'm shitposting so they're brown.

Eye color might darken a little from when you're a baby, but it is otherwise completely static.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nuclear War posted:

:wink:

I have green eyes.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a Chinese girl with green eyes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Comptroll The Forums posted:

My favorite STDH is people who insist that their eyes change colors depending on their mood. For instance, right now I'm shitposting so they're brown.

Eye color might darken a little from when you're a baby, but it is otherwise completely static.
If you have central heterochromia then which eye colour is more visibly prominent can change based on pupil dilation. But we're talking greeny brown vs browny green, not mood ring traffic lights in your face.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Why's that one a gimmick, huh? :colbert:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

They also may appear to change color when your pupils get more/less dilated - for example, David Bowie wasn't born with differently-colored eyes, they just looked different because his left eye was damaged in a fistfight and got permanently dilated

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Also lighting plays a huge part in that as well. My eyes are brown, except under a bluish light, then they're green. A lovely green, but green.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

No Salvation For Them
BAD BEHAVIOR, GROCERY STORE, USA, WISCONSIN | RIGHT | APRIL 20, 2018
(I usually work as a cashier, but sometimes when it’s slow they send me out to get carts. Today is the first day we have the Salvation Army bell ringing out in front. I’m just working on carts, and this customer comes up to me.)

Customer: “Somebody should go choke that kid ringing the bell. We don’t need to hear that s*** every time we come to the g**d*** grocery store!”

Me: “Sir, this is the first day we have had the bell out.”

Customer: *speechless*

:owned:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sure this story happened exactly as told. I just don't understand why it's being told as an "owned" story.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I expect some imaginative people had been told by perceptive friends or family that "your eyes sometimes look one colour and sometimes another". Because they can't see their own eyes, and because they have more imagination than is sensible, they end up thinking of something that sounds much more dramatic than it actually is.

In reality, of course, the idea that "colours look different depending on light and shade" is scarcely a bold new concept. Certainly not if the colour is a difficult in-between sort of shade, as many people's eyes are.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

eye color is a function of 1) the amount of melanin in the iris 2) the available light and 3) the shape of the eye(link) so they can change color

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm looking for a Chinese girl with green eyes.

Jade green eyes...

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Joel McHale recreated a stdh episode where everyone gets up and claps

It's as ridiculous as it sounds.

Also, I guess that's a pretty good niche for a YouTube channel, recreating Reddit stdh and posting them to the thread

E: also have the the text in the description, and it's golden

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

AlbieQuirky posted:

:wink:

I have green eyes.

Same

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mt eyes are different colors but I'm blind in one so it's more grey than blue.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
What color is the dress?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Low-hanging fruit? Yes. Purestrain STDH? Also yes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Liberal community college lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He is right in that many people make poor nutritional choices and have difficulty in refraining from eating overly processed high in sugar foods resulting in an inordinate number of people being overweight and/or obese to an unhealthy degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OTOH lollin at that fuckin fat bitch