Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeves me that Trump, Dubya, and Reagan who were all draft dodgers (or functionally draft dodgers) are portrayed as strong manly men who ain’t afraid to fight but actual decorated vets like Kerry, Carter, or even loving McCain now are whiny pussy baby men.

This isn’t even a new thing though. Conservative macho hero John Wayne stars alongside James Stewart in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Wayne is of course the gunslinging hero who knows how the world works and Stewart is the big city lawyer who’s never shot a gun.

In real life, Wayne was a draft dodging hyperpatriot republican. Stewart, upon being rejected for being underweight, gained the requisite amount to join the army, became a pilot, consistently appealed against his celebrity status relegating him to propaganda or training duties, and eventually flew numerous combat missions, often flying with his unit even when it wasn’t required, to inspire them. He was also a patriotic war hawk but at least he put his money where his mouth was. He also lost a son in Vietnam.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeves me that Trump, Dubya, and Reagan who were all draft dodgers (or functionally draft dodgers) are portrayed as strong manly men who ain’t afraid to fight but actual decorated vets like Kerry, Carter, or even loving McCain now are whiny pussy baby men.

This isn’t even a new thing though. Conservative macho hero John Wayne stars alongside James Stewart in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Wayne is of course the gunslinging hero who knows how the world works and Stewart is the big city lawyer who’s never shot a gun.

In real life, Wayne was a draft dodging hyperpatriot republican. Stewart, upon being rejected for being underweight, gained the requisite amount to join the army, became a pilot, consistently appealed against his celebrity status relegating him to propaganda or training duties, and eventually flew numerous combat missions, often flying with his unit even when it wasn’t required, to inspire them. He was also a patriotic war hawk but at least he put his money where his mouth was. He also lost a son in Vietnam.

There are valid reasons for people to avoid the draft, but if it's a rich politician/businessman doing it the chance that they have a real reason is very low. In times of war everyone should be where they can best serve the country, and if you are more of an academic (and are actually productive as one) than a fighter you should be in a lab somewhere, and if you're able to fight you should fight. Nobody is buying excuses like "bone spurs", you were just able to pay doctors enough to write you a note, that's all there is to it. If he really wanted to fight for his country he could/would have.

I mean right now if they started up the draft again to fight in syria I could understand and sympathize with people who resisted and wiggled out of doing it because the cause isn't legitimate, but like back in WW2 if you dodged it for ideological reasons it's pretty shameful. Three of my grandma's brothers died in WW2 (one as a paratrooper who was mentioned but not featured in that band of brothers show) and I'm sure they all would have rather stayed at home, but being a part of a country kind of obligates you to fight for it in extreme circumstances. Vietnam is more questionable whether it was necessary, but still - if you used your wealth to create fake problems to get you out of it, you're a piece of poo poo.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dammit, how hard is it to be where you said you will be when you said you would be there. I'm literally trying to give away my loving washer and dryer if they're willing to carry it out of my upstairs apartment because I can't take it with me. A free, working washer and dryer (I got it super cheap from a coworker). Somebody said they'd be here 2 hours ago to pick it up and I haven't seen nor heard from them yet.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

yeah I eat rear end posted:

back in WW2 if you dodged it for ideological reasons it's pretty shameful.
Kinda disagree with this, unless you count religious reasons as different than ideological reasons.

- if you used your wealth to create fake problems to get you out of it, you're a piece of poo poo.
Yup

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Midig posted:

To be fair, retail can demand you work overtime for closing consistently instead of hiring more people. It is not always their fault that they don't want to stick around for another half hour when they have done everything they are supposed to. I usually do tasks I am asked to do, but during exams I have had to be very strict about the fact that I leave almost the moment I am done with the usual. I already work three times the amount of the position I was given and need all the time on the side to study.

Working 15 minutes extra is ok and necessary sometimes, but some people stretch it really far and make you stay another hour because they want to go earlier themselves.

It is so hard to explain without giving away where I work but basically we took over this location of the same company and the previous head manager followed no rules set by the company. It’s literally in lazy guy’s job description that he has to do the stuff he was complaining about. The issue likely is that the previous head manager and other managers didn’t care to enforce that—hence why we took over this location. BUT it’s not like it’s a new thing that he has to actually do the stuff in his job description, our people have been over there for 3 weeks so there’s no way he doesn’t know what his job actually entails and what he has to do. The other people there so far have adapted immediately so there’s no excuse for this lazy guy.

E: also he was trying to tell me how to do my job and how to do basic things (think: some twerp telling a manager how to open a program on a computer in the middle of the manager already doing it).

E2: I totally am with you on not making people stay crazy late, I wouldn’t have made him stay past the time I promised him, even though there was a ton of poo poo to do still. I let him go home when I said I would and I finished the rest of the stuff. And if an employee has exams like you or some other circumstance I would absolutely not make them stay later than they’re scheduled; I’ve also let people go home early cause of stuff in their lives. This guy didn’t have a reason not to stay a half hour past his scheduled time.

E3: personal pet peeve about myself: I write so many goddamn :words:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Apr 20, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Any reason to get out of a war is a good reason imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Any reason to get out of a war is a good reason imo

nevillechamblerlainpeaceinourtime.jpg

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nevillechamblerlainpeaceinourtime.jpg

I meant more on a personal level

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll quit artists if they're like murderers or rapists or child molesters or literal Nazis or something like that.

But cooky conspiracy theories or veganism or politics that aren't frothing-at-the-mouth-crazy or a different outlook on life? Yeah, who gives a poo poo.
I'm sure as gently caress not going to give up on watching Tarantino movies just because the producers card is an awkward moment now. On the other side of the medal, the Smiths were always the one 80s indie band I couldn't stand and I feel weirdly justified for that now.

The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is buying all the Crystal Castles albums literally (!) the day before news broke that Ethan Kath is apparently a shithead of the highest order. And frankly, I still think they're pretty great. Can't help that, nor the fact that he's got my money now.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I hate how in general on both sides everything comes down to "gotcha" nonsense where you can't just say you like(d) someone, whether they are a historical figure or an actor/director/whatever without someone bringing up something wrong/problematic they did at some point. In some cases it's right to disavow them like in cases where they defend/are rapists, but like if my favorite actor hypothetically denies climate change, who cares? It's not like they're in charge of anything.

Yeah, I feel the same way about this. Not to mention that when you start down that road - not listening to somebody's music because of an opinion they have, boycotting something because of their politics - you need to do some serious self-examination or else end up being a hypocrite.

Case in point: Back during the 2004 election, some Bush supporters were boycotting Heinz ketchup because John Kerry's wife was heir/owner to the company ( I can't remember exactly). Okay, you hate John Kerry so you're not going to buy Heinz ketchup. Have you looked at all of the other products you regularly buy to see what their owner's/majority shareholders' politics are? What about companies you own stock in? What about your 401K?

It seems like a hell of a lot of work. In short, if somebody is a scumbag, or is virulently hostile toward something I believe in, I'm not going to support them. Otherwise, life is too short.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually, Reagan did serve in the Army Air Corps. He served in a non-combat role though, because of poor hearing and poor eyesight. You are correct on Trump and Dubya though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a Wusthof kitchen knife a while ago and I'm not happy with its performance. I found out that they run their steels much softer than other companies so it needs to be sharpened way more often. I don't even do that much heavy duty cutting with it. It's mostly just vegetables like carrots and stuff. I have a Japanese Shun that lasts way longer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sounds like they use the wusthof all the types of steel

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

oldpainless posted:

oh no

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought a Wusthof kitchen knife a while ago and I'm not happy with its performance. I found out that they run their steels much softer than other companies so it needs to be sharpened way more often. I don't even do that much heavy duty cutting with it. It's mostly just vegetables like carrots and stuff. I have a Japanese Shun that lasts way longer.

serves you right for not just using a serrated steak knife

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

oldpainless posted:

:dudsmile:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
My supervisor marks 95% of emails to us as priority. maybe 10% of them are actually important. Most are just "Hey FYI this is happening" that I'd never need to know.

Even worse is when she sends a printout of the email to our mailbox. WHY.

Spalec has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Apr 20, 2018

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Beer cunts can git tae gently caress. Especially American beer cunts.

Every pub, this one friend-of-a-friend septic tank bawbag will get snippy because they don't have [whatever kind of beer they don't have]. Bog standard pub? Hnnnnnnnh no IPAs. Place has a shitload of IPAs? Well they don't have any real ale or heavy. Loads of real ale and heavy? Hnnnnnhhhhh I wanted a lager. Wanted a lager? Hnnnnnhhhhhhhh they've only got one porter and there's no stout. Hnnnnnhhhh there's no imports. Hnnnnnnnh they only have my imported chocolate double fermented lactose kelp beer in the bottle, not on draught.

One time, in furious desperation, I dragged the wankstain to the absolute wankbammiest pub in the universe. The guy behind the bar was 95% ink, piercings and beard by mass. There was a nineteen page menu, small font, tasting notes, recommended petit plats what is complementary to each beer. The benches were made out of loving upcycled oak planks from a bombed out Belgian brewery, the bar snacks were artisan chilli infused chargrilled halloumi skewers and some kind of chive and tzatziki polenta fusion, and one of the waitresses was loudly telling everyone about this play she's writing, where like, the premise is that the audience supply the dialogue!?

"Hnnnnnh I don't like these glasses."

He doesn't get invited any more. We can pub crawl freely, knowing if we end up drinking Tennent's we won't have to give some knob an epi pen to bring him back round. And hey, to be fair, dude seems very happy taking taxis to whatever furiously masturbatory pop-up bar/bistro will sell him one beer, which he can then Tweet a photo of before he goes home. So hooray!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Holy poo poo, how have you not murdered that man yet? :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

I used to hang out with a guy who was kind of the opposite kind of beer snob. Like he would not drink anywhere that didn't have coors light or miller light on tap. It rarely came up because almost everywhere has those, but when it does he got all whiny like "can't we go to a normal bar?" etc.

I didn't like him very much even though our beer tastes in our home lives were similar. It won't kill you to pay more than like 2 dollars for a beer when you're out somewhere.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I used to hang out with a guy who was kind of the opposite kind of beer snob. Like he would not drink anywhere that didn't have coors light or miller light on tap. It rarely came up because almost everywhere has those, but when it does he got all whiny like "can't we go to a normal bar?" etc.

I didn't like him very much even though our beer tastes in our home lives were similar. It won't kill you to pay more than like 2 dollars for a beer when you're out somewhere.

Is he just cheap or does he literally have terrible taste?

I have a relatively new coworker that seems to eat nothing but Little Caesars deep dish pizzas for lunch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Is he just cheap or does he literally have terrible taste?

I have a relatively new coworker that seems to eat nothing but Little Caesars deep dish pizzas for lunch.

It's both. In our tailgates for football games he would bring his own cases of natural ice and refuse the more expensive stuff people brought even though he could have it for free.

I mean I like a natural ice as much as the next guy, but if I can pick between that and say a sam adams or some other mid-tier beer I'm going to take the better one if it's free. If I have to pay though I'll stick to my steel reserve and natural ice/light. He basically fully embraces the low class lifestyle whereas I only do it when it is necessary.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Console exclusive games are annoying, dam it I want to be able to play the new God of war without having to get a PS4. :argh:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Tim Pool. No loving way that a con artist like Paul Joseph Watson paid him to travel to Sweden.

Midig has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Apr 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People weeping over how "bad" Zimbabwe or South Africa have gotten since apartheid ended.

They only looked good before because only the standard of living for white people counted. If you turn 90% of the population into second class citizens living as servants or in ethnic ghettos, and don't educate them or provide for them, no poo poo, a country will be lovely. Perhaps the apartheid governments shouldn't have done that?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's the same thing with American conservatives, who've spent decades cutting off their collective noses to spite a black face and now they all act bewildered about things going down the tubes.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My pet peeve: not being able to drink alcohol. I mean, say you're the dd and get a free soft drink or whatever, and everybody wants to ride home with you, but there are times I miss getting shitfaced drunk with my friends.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Sunshine on a day yr feeling rainy about.
Rain on a sunny-feeling day.

I wish I was Storm.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Political talk reminds me of a pet peeve: people criticising politicians for actions that weren't actually bad. Trump gets flack for dodging the draft. That's probably the only sensible thing he's ever done, and bringing it up means you're discussing something irrelevant rather than actual reasons he needs to be removed from office.

I wouldn't give 99.9999% of the people in the country poo poo for dodging the draft but if you then go and run for a position that is, among other things, the head of military you dodged serving in, then it's fair game.

Of course this also applies to Bush Jr., Clinton, Reagan...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Groups of more than one person who decide to collectively decide to claim one empty seat at a bar. No, you are a goddamned group, you wait for that seats, or you wait for a table. Like, OK, I'm a nice enough guy that I'll shimmy over, I'm a doormat like that, but even I'm not going to fold if you want to somehow have three people's food up against mine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"I want your take on this problem."

"Okay?"

*proceeds to ramble on for five minutes about how this coworker is useless and this one a bitch and this and this and this and in the middle of it all, the buried lede that a customer hosed up his own order and person asking for your advice is tired of being poo poo on at work and Nancy is totally stupid and Jerry refuses to say no and....*

THE PROBLEM IS THE CUSTOMER DID NOT GIVE ME THE RIGHT INFORMATION AND NOW HE IS OUT A PRODUCT HE WANTS AND IS VERY ANGRY HE HAS TO PAY A RESTOCKING FEE. WHAT DO I DO? That is what you should say!

Give me the info I need to understand, I don't give a poo poo about who is being a bitch at work, tell me the issue!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Whenever someone wants to measure my blood pressure but sees that I am wearing a wrist watch, they just stare at me looking confused as poo poo until I remove it. Why won't they ask me to take it off when that's clearly what they're waiting for? I know that only old people wear wrist watches, but surely they must at least understand what it is when they see it. Do they think removing a watch will upset me? What the gently caress?

wak
May 8, 2017

D U C K F A L E S .
Pillbug
I would be confused if I saw a canary wearing a wristwatch tbh

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's odd; I've never had anyone look at me funny for wearing a wristwatch when they're about to take my blood pressure. :iiam: How tight do you wear it? Is your hand purple?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
don't let your loving dog run around outside without a leash you loving monsters

dangerous for dog

dangerous for other animals

dangerous for people

gently caress you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Missing a single piece of papery skin after you peel garlic, and then you dice and it turns into tons of tiny little papery bits

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

don't let your loving dog run around outside without a leash you loving monsters

dangerous for dog

dangerous for other animals

dangerous for people

gently caress you

This drives me nuts. There was a neighbor that lived near us who always let her pitbulls run loose (she claimed they opened the door themselves) and even though they might have normally been friendly, when I was out walking my parents' dogs (who are much smaller than a pitbull) it was always a super tense situation because both dogs started to freak out and get aggressive. We confronted her multiple times and called animal services etc but nothing ever happened. The only way I personally could get through to her was telling her if it happened again I'd shoot her dogs*. Just lock your loving door if they are somehow like velociraptors who figured out how to open it.

*I didn't actually own a gun but I was pretty tempted to go buy one because of this person

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh, another dog peeve: people who treat small dogs like decorative pillows and not, well, dogs. I think that's a big part of why tiny dogs like chihuahuas have such a bad rap. They don't get the socialization or exercise they need so they end up neurotic wrecks.

I have an 18 year old miniature poodle that I basically grew up with (I'm mid-20s) and people have always said he's one of the sweetest, most likeable dogs they've ever met. Because I loving trained him, played with him, took him out and let him do dog poo poo, let him meet and wrassle other dogs at the dog park, etc. Yeah, he's small, cute, and fluffy, but he's still a dog. He has all the same needs as my aunt's enormous weimaraner.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh, another dog peeve: people who treat small dogs like decorative pillows and not, well, dogs...

Nothing better than a tiny dog with a fake service animal vest that someone brings to your office and lets them run free. They poo poo and piss everywhere and snap at people.

For Gods sake! The dog is 7 years old. It should be able to hold it in for half and hour and sit quietly next to you. I know you think it's a therapy dog. It's not. It's just stressing a dozen people out by having to keep any eye on it while you blindly ignore it's behavior. Pretty soon it gets out of the office and you have to chase it down the hall. After all, there's no reason to actually control your dog. Just make it everyone else's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think the stress reduction part of the fake therapy animal is being in command of a situation that's loving obnoxious to everyone else.