Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mezzanon posted:

One of the guy son my team is selling his foiled out jund for a gastric bypass surgery.

Magic: The Gathering: Sell your collection, de-goon yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I caught myself looking at the budget Modern deck database on MTGGoldfish last night, wondering if I'd be happier selling off my collection and building as many of those lists as I could to just troll people at FNM. Maybe it's just because I've been too busy to play a lot lately but I do genuinely feel like I have way too many cards. But I also have major deck OCD and more than once have assembled a deck in its entirety only to trade away parts of it before I even play the deck once.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/8dl5tq/psa_shower_and_wear_antiperspirant_before/

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

quote:

[–]SilverElmdor 259 points 10 hours ago
Don't forget to poop before the prerelease!

[–]Three_And_A_Third 170 points 10 hours ago
and wipe sufficiently.

[–]StoneforgeMisfit 55 points 4 hours ago
Poop before you shower, case closed. Or, during, but then you have to heel it down the drain.

[–]DiamanteLoco1981 8 points 2 hours ago
This is the way to go...hell, if it's bad enough (which is rare), I'll take a quick shower just to make sure I'm clean (being a person 300-340 lbs)

also, and I swear this is the biggest lesson I learnt from living with a gay man for a couple years, wet wipes!!!

They are a godsend.

:stonklol:

Magic: The Gathering: (being a person 300-340 lbs)

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

C-Euro posted:

I caught myself looking at the budget Modern deck database on MTGGoldfish last night, wondering if I'd be happier selling off my collection and building as many of those lists as I could to just troll people at FNM. Maybe it's just because I've been too busy to play a lot lately but I do genuinely feel like I have way too many cards. But I also have major deck OCD and more than once have assembled a deck in its entirety only to trade away parts of it before I even play the deck once.

Sell all but your favorites decks. I donated all my uncommons and commons to a magic club at a high school and am selling all but 3 modern decks. I have more room in my office, way less clutter, and more money. I haven’t bought a magic card or a pack in 3 months or so. I don’t really play competitively anymore so getting rid of all the stuff hasn’t really had a downside.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

JerryLee posted:

Please please please

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Sell all but your favorites decks

This. I used to be building new decks nonstop, and realized I got to play rarely enough that I always wanted to play one favorite all the time.

Now I have 1 Modern, 2 Legacy (so my gf can borrow one), and 2 Standard (same). I've been throwing every resource into my cube (which should be 100% foiled out later this year :dance:) and just collecting old and unique stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Sell all but your favorites decks. I donated all my uncommons and commons to a magic club at a high school and am selling all but 3 modern decks. I have more room in my office, way less clutter, and more money. I haven’t bought a magic card or a pack in 3 months or so. I don’t really play competitively anymore so getting rid of all the stuff hasn’t really had a downside.

I've done a couple purges of bulk cards in the past but I'm at the point where I don't play enough to say for certain if a deck is a "favorite" of mine or not, other than Mill which I've had in some form or another for years (but isn't good or varied enough to be the only deck that I run)

What I'm trying out now is to ID pairs or groups of decks that share a lot of cards and swap between them, for example I have GW Company built but I can swap out a dozen cards and have Counters Company built instead. I'm doing the same sort of thing with a URx Snapcaster Control/Combo list but that's a much looser definition, I probably need to tighten that one up.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I've done a couple purges of bulk cards in the past but I'm at the point where I don't play enough to say for certain if a deck is a "favorite" of mine or not, other than Mill which I've had in some form or another for years (but isn't good or varied enough to be the only deck that I run)

What I'm trying out now is to ID pairs or groups of decks that share a lot of cards and swap between them, for example I have GW Company built but I can swap out a dozen cards and have Counters Company built instead. I'm doing the same sort of thing with a URx Snapcaster Control/Combo list but that's a much looser definition, I probably need to tighten that one up.

That part is hard. I’d just try and get rid of decks you didn’t like to start with. Getting rid of legacy death and taxes was easy, as was getting rid of jund, modern storm was a bit harder.

I’m trying to just keep Counters Company, Burn, and Ad Nauseam (first non burn deck I played). It gives me a bit of variety and a deck or two to loan out while letting me get rid of a bunch of pricy staples I wasn’t using anyways.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I sold off my Modern decks to build Commander decks. It was a good choice.

I still have my budget tempered steel and budget faeries decks for Modern though, but I honestly haven't played Modern since like October 2016.

Though, I still kinda want to build 8-rack...

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 20, 2018

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I think I’ve said this before, but my friend who used to play Magic always said that they should give out official WOTC brand Deodorant in every pre-release pool instead of a promo card.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GonSmithe posted:

I think I’ve said this before, but my friend who used to play Magic always said that they should give out official WOTC brand Deodorant in every pre-release pool instead of a promo card.

I've always said they should reach out to Degree or Old Spice or someone to sponsor a GP. Set up a table at the entrance to the hall and hand out samples and that at least gets the hint across.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I presume that he doesn't live in Canada like you do.

I also don't know what it costs to get gastric bypass surgery in Canada or the US.

No he lives in Canada, where it is free but comes with a 3 year waiting period. He wants results NOW so is going to get it done in Mexico (he is going to die)

I just lift weights and play nerd cards, but the dude wants what he wants.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

You know those fans....the ones that pump air straight down over doorways to keep bugs flying into grocery stores? Put those at the door to every magic shop and entrances to every convention center hosting a tournament and just have them blast febreeze or spray deodorant straight down.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Man, don't punish people who actually have good hygiene though. I want that promo, not BelerenTM brand deodorant that smells like Axe or something.

EDIT: also holy poo poo why has Spellstutter Sprite spiked so much. It's probably my all time favorite Magic card so I have a bunch of them but dang, my foil playset is like $40 now and I have a couple FNM promos worth like $15 each.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 20, 2018

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Matsuri posted:

Man, don't punish people who actually have good hygiene though. I want that promo, not BelerenTM brand deodorant that smells like Axe or something.

Ok fine, in addition to.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

People wouldn’t use it. They’d save it and try to sell it as a “collectible.”

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Matsuri posted:

EDIT: also holy poo poo why has Spellstutter Sprite spiked so much. It's probably my all time favorite Magic card so I have a bunch of them but dang, my foil playset is like $40 now and I have a couple FNM promos worth like $15 each.

I am fine with a Axe spinoff that is promoted by Gurruk.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Great, now I'm wondering which planeswalkers fit which brand of deodorant. Thanks for those mental images.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This seems like a particularly poor Sealed format.

The draft format is probably fine, but Sealed in a format with a lot of multicolored cards and essentially no mana fixing whatsoever tends to result in pools where all of your colors are bad and your deck is underpowered or color screwed.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

Great, now I'm wondering which planeswalkers fit which brand of deodorant. Thanks for those mental images.

Chandra for a cinnamon flavor one. Adding that spice to Old Spice.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

Garruk does indeed fit Axe.
Gideon gets Right Guard.
Chandra gets Old Spice.
Jace gets Dry Idea.
Angrath Koth gets Arm and Hammerokay i'm done

why the gently caress am i doing this

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

Gideon gets Right Guard.
Chandra gets Old Spice.
Jace gets Dry Idea.
Angrath Koth gets Arm and Hammerokay i'm done

Because it's Friday and we're all bored at work even though we have a lot of work to be done, but pre-release is tonight and we all wanna play some wizard poker.

My plan is to go home, take a nap, then go play because I'm tired afffffffffffffffffffff.

I did go 2-1 with Mardu Pyro last night in my LGS's weekly modern tourney, beat out Ponza and Tron, but lost to this nice WB Planeswalker brew that has 4 wraths in the main (1 Wrath of God, 1 Damnation, 1 Bontu's Last Reckoning, and 1 Settle the Wreckage). Although I guess it's kind of long time coming because I beat him 2 weeks in a roll before with UB Faeries, the first time I resolved a Lili, Last Hope emblem and zamboed him down. The second time he managed to get the emblem out with like 50+ zambos, but 3x Cryptic Command and 3x Bitterblossoms are a pretty potent racing combo and I killed him that way. This time I got stuck on 3 land after Blood Mooning him and getting my rear end beat by a pair of Gideons.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Matsuri posted:

Gideon gets Right Guard.
Chandra gets Old Spice.
Jace gets Dry Idea.
Angrath Koth gets Arm and Hammer.

Karn gets all the clear gels.
Nissa gets Hugo Boss.
Tibalt gets Speed Stick.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Thisuck posted:

Because it's Friday and we're all bored at work even though we have a lot of work to be done, but pre-release is tonight and we all wanna play some wizard poker.

I actually don't start work until 3 this afternoon. My hours got hosed this week due to client cancelations :sigh:

But yeah I just wanna go get my cards. Don't really want to stay because I've grown to hate this particular LGS (the one I go to now isn't WPN certified so they don't have prerelease), but just grab my prerelease pack, booster box, and go home. :unsmith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Angry Grimace posted:

This seems like a particularly poor Sealed format.

The draft format is probably fine, but Sealed in a format with a lot of multicolored cards and essentially no mana fixing whatsoever tends to result in pools where all of your colors are bad and your deck is underpowered or color screwed.

Dominaria? I don't think it has that many multicolored cards, just the signposts and a few rares.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

I actually don't start work until 3 this afternoon. My hours got hosed this week due to client cancelations :sigh:

But yeah I just wanna go get my cards. Don't really want to stay because I've grown to hate this particular LGS (the one I go to now isn't WPN certified so they don't have prerelease), but just grab my prerelease pack, booster box, and go home. :unsmith:

Yeah, if my pool is really bad, I think I might just go home instead of playing it out. I've been having really lovely luck with sealed events recently and I just want to sleep more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Thisuck posted:

Yeah, if my pool is really bad, I think I might just go home instead of playing it out. I've been having really lovely luck with sealed events recently and I just want to sleep more.

The last prerelease I did was Kaladesh and it was the only prerelease I've done where I stuck it out to the end. I told myself I was never doing that again because I was miserable the entire next day.

Kurtofan posted:

Dominaria? I don't think it has that many multicolored cards, just the signposts and a few rares.

Yeah, come to look at it, it seems the only multicolored cards are legendary, and you get one legendary per pack.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I went to a prerelease today under peer pressure and it was pretty meh. So little to be excited for when cracking open packs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I went to a prerelease today under peer pressure and it was pretty meh. So little to be excited for when cracking open packs.

I think I'll enjoy it no matter what, but if I happen to crack a (foil) Jhoira, Karn, Teferi or Mox I'll call it a good time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kurtofan posted:

There's a full cycle of uncommon legends and you're guaranteed to get at least one legend per pack so you see them more often. I'm not a fan of sealed in any format that doesn't have much fixing, though. This one doesn't even have Unknown Shores or Evolving Wilds, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After managing to somehow go 3-1 at the Ixalan pre-release I don't know if I want to do another pre-release because I don't think I'll ever do better than that.

A friend of mine and one of his friends will do multiple events for each pre-release including a midnight one, I don't know how they do it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'll probably do prerelease tomorrow evening. The last midnight I did was SOI maybe? It was miserable, I'm too old for that poo poo now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm gonna go tonight and if I like the format enough I'll probably go on sunday as well. My FLGS is gonna be running draft as FNM for a few weeks afterwards anyway so I'll have plenty of time to mess around with the limited format.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I actually want to play Brawl. Shame that I would need to splurge on constructed staples.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a full cycle of uncommon legends and you're guaranteed to get at least one legend per pack so you see them more often. I'm not a fan of sealed in any format that doesn't have much fixing, though. This one doesn't even have Unknown Shores or Evolving Wilds, though.

Navigator's compass is ok fixing. It's a prophetic prism that gains life instead of drawing a card and only costs 1 instead of 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

How did you go to a prerelease so early?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

JerryLee posted:

:stonklol:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

How did you go to a prerelease so early?

Phone posting sorry, sharing an mtgo account and a few buddies and I are day drinking and playing. It’s been , meh. We have moved on to playing lame duck arena sooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BraunDuinIt/status/987402800362598400