Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Descent and its brother Champions are loving awesome, that's what.

vvv OK, 3 weeks would be much, but when's the last time they had any Descent races? STOP HOLDING OUT ON US YOU BASTARDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

3 week descent sounds like the worst idea in path of exile history, and that's saying a lot.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Descent and its brother Champions are loving awesome, that's what.

Yes, for an hour.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Always-available descent/champions as an "arcade mode" with like monthly leaderboards or something would be so good & cool and i've made this post like six times in this thread (and its ancestors)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pokchu posted:

Always-available descent/champions as an "arcade mode" with like monthly leaderboards or something would be so good & cool and i've made this post like six times in this thread (and its ancestors)

Yeah, I don't really understand why this isn't a thing. They have most of the technology already and it would be a huge bone to throw to the racing community.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We're going to get Royale baked into the game well before Descent ever happens :smith:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TheRat posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand why this isn't a thing. They have most of the technology already and it would be a huge bone to throw to the racing community.

I know right? Everything is already there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pokchu posted:

I know right? Everything is already there.

Descent is obviously already there. The specific ladder type is already there (labyrinth ladder). They've even done individual start races, haven't they?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just wanna play a never ending dungeon where I only get one life and it's all SSF. Three weeks would be perfect for me because I'd die by level 10 each time and being forced to play SSF would be very different from how I normally play the game. Playing SSF with normal drop rates is totally uninteresting to me, but with Descent drop rates id be totally down.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The problem is that Reddit bitches and moans too much about not taking poo poo to standard, so glad having fun voided leagues outside of the occasional mayhem race.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I know they did a 24 or 48 hour decent race before and it was not very fun.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bugsy posted:

I know they did a 24 or 48 hour decent race before and it was not very fun.

Yea that sounds really bad. Descent is good because it's so short. Anything more than a few hours is just a really bad idea.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TheRat posted:

Descent is obviously already there. The specific ladder type is already there (labyrinth ladder). They've even done individual start races, haven't they?

I don't specifically recall individual start races, but the Royale mode came close with start conditions start when full or after X minutes.

Mr. Despair posted:

The problem is that Reddit bitches and moans too much about not taking poo poo to standard, so glad having fun voided leagues outside of the occasional mayhem race.

Reddit always has a complete shitfit about anything that could theoretically allow anyone to play anything but temp leagues 100% of the time

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pokchu posted:

I don't specifically recall individual start races, but the Royale mode came close with start conditions start when full or after X minutes.

I'm almost certain I remember doing some 'race to piety' poo poo where you had 24 hours or whatever to complete it in the shortest amount of time.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TheRat posted:

I'm almost certain I remember doing some 'race to piety' poo poo where you had 24 hours or whatever to complete it in the shortest amount of time.

Oh yes, that is true.

The "24h XXXX kills" and stuff races.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

pokchu posted:

Reddit always has a complete shitfit about anything

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Wasn't the issue with these sorts of modes as permanent things that once, long ago, they wrote some really inflexible code that limited the number of "leagues" that can be running at once, and that races count as leagues? Battle Royale might demonstrate that they resolved this issue, but it's also why they don't have softcore SSF. I've been playing since Ambush, and I've played Descent like once because it never fell at times that I could make work for me so I'd love to have it as a mode!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Battle Royale might demonstrate that they resolved this issue

Battle Royale cost $10k in servers for the one day it ran, so no

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

TheRat posted:

Battle Royale cost $10k in servers for the one day it ran, so no

Wasn't that because of the server costs for getting 100 people on a map? I think Pork was talking about "only 3 leagues at a time" problem.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I'm such a casual, everyone is talking about getting burned and waiting on the next league and I'm still missing one trial and Zana Is lvl 6 about to get 7.

I'm doing rare corrupted T12 maps tho, uncharted lands for me!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

turboraton posted:

Man I'm such a casual, everyone is talking about getting burned and waiting on the next league and I'm still missing one trial and Zana Is lvl 6 about to get 7.

It's mostly a matter of the league not being very engaging. Yes, they've worked out *most* of the issues (some of which should have never made it to launch) and it's an ok mechanic now, but it's not exactly great league material. There's no compelling reason to keep pushing this far in. Had there not been the massive Ascendancy rework that also came with it, the league would be even more poorly received.

For the record I like this league. I just don't think it's a strong one.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Vasudus posted:

It's mostly a matter of the league not being very engaging. Yes, they've worked out *most* of the issues (some of which should have never made it to launch) and it's an ok mechanic now, but it's not exactly great league material. There's no compelling reason to keep pushing this far in. Had there not been the massive Ascendancy rework that also came with it, the league would be even more poorly received.

For the record I like this league. I just don't think it's a strong one.

The only reason I'm not empty-quoting this is because I did not care for this league. Otherwise, spot on.

Like, how does "you can no longer destroy the corpses of beasts that you might actually want to capture" take so goddamn long to get in?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vasudus posted:

It's mostly a matter of the league not being very engaging.
its not the best league but people are talking about burn out and next league at this point in every league so really its normal

turboraton posted:

make sure you mention that you are looking for a trial in guild chat. i dont even mention them anymore when i find them since i assume everyone has them all by now

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I quit the league with about 3 days /played, lots of that in T14+ maps, capturing every red beast and most yellow beasts I saw and I never even discovered any of the really valuable beastcrafting recipes much less the actual beasts you needed for them. Combined with how you couldn't keep track of what the beasts you had might get used for until a while in, how the whole system is extremely opaque about how you'd go about finding the beasts you lack (basically just look for some out-of-game resource, like I guess everything else in PoE), and how you never knew what those beasts were in the first place anyway, it all felt so far removed from actual progression. I crafted probably about a hundred shaper/elder items at the altar and it felt like 90% of the time I'd pick an ilevel 82 beast and get a T11 roll on the stat I chose to target so I just couldn't be bothered continuing. I never felt like I was getting closer to anything interesting or fun or worthwhile with the system at all. The only thing it was good for was the 10 Horizon Orb recipe which was easy to get and a nice way to reroll some red maps that are bad.

E: Also everything about beast orbs and trading beasts felt so disconnected from the game given how it arrived late, with no fanfare, and with only people who seriously researched and engaged with the Bestiary system having any idea what to even look for.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I basically 99% ignored the bestiary and treated as "abyss league where abysses are really rare" and it's OK.

I would have liked it more if they went full Pokemans and let you capture a beast and use them as an Uber Spectre that you can have one at a time out, for PvE/PvP, like have some of them be really good at taking down other beasts to capture, so on.
At a minimum they could have made the armor sets like legitimately OP so there's a reason to do those.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my biggest issue i think is that i still have no "wishlist" to make beasts i want to capture stand out from beasts i dont care about

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I took my lvl 92 Golementalist (that I had gutted to buy gear for my Scion PPVD-Immortal Cry alt), and tried to rebuild it into that "Spectrenate Dead" build that blows up Spectres with Minion Instability to 1-shot bosses...

yeah... that doesn't seem to actually work unless you have a fuckton of money. It seems like the damage curve is like 10% boss life if you have the +2 to gems shield and a level 3 empower, vs insta-gib the boss with a corrupted +3 to gems shield and level 4 empower. Plus you have to have the +5 levels to Unearth Elder Helmet which adds like 10 exalts as well. Basically the whole thing is like 20-ish more Exalts than I have and I'm doubting it could work at the start of a league.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Endless Ledge League where the map scales by xx% every time you zone and there is 10 of every league mod in every zone

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bestiary feels like the prototype "Crafting league" and essence feels like the refined version that comes out later.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Give us the 1 month BLAMT league that only I want.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

turboraton posted:

You aren't alone! I do have all the trials done, and have failed uber-lab on my current character a couple of times now. I should actually get my first T8 crafter done in the next two days (Catarina, shortly followed by Haiku a day or two later). T8 crafters will be a first for me, and if I manage to push past T12 maps (if I hadn't rerolled twice that would be easier) it will also be a first for me.

My current re-roll is only back up to T8/9 maps, and I have an Elder on a T9 blocking me from my 5th memory fragment. Doesn't help that I'm sidetracked by a bunch of other stuff outside this game that is making me only play my dailies and maybe a couple of maps each night, so progress has slowed to a crawl at level 83 now.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

The beastiary stuff ended up being really crazy for high end crafting. The amount of people that actually engage with that though is tiny. I think they also expected us to find interesting beastcrafting recipes and go farm specific maps for those beasts.Like farming Reef for Craicic mobs, but the community just didn't seem interested in that overall.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Syle187 posted:

The beastiary stuff ended up being really crazy for high end crafting. The amount of people that actually engage with that though is tiny. I think they also expected us to find interesting beastcrafting recipes and go farm specific maps for those beasts.Like farming Reef for Craicic mobs, but the community just didn't seem interested in that overall.

Yeah I like the concept of beastcrafting but I'd really prefer it if it was more abstract and less focused on specific beast mods/base types because it's just a ridiculous amount of poo poo I don't want to memorize. If poo poo was like "3 beast dogs with one atleast level 85" for a high end mod instead of "One dog with feline presence that can only show up in level 85+ zones but there's nothing that tells you that and you'll realize you caught one like 5 days after the fact" it'd be functionally almost identical but way easier to process.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How bad, ranging from "godawful" to "kinda bad" does the Fire Armor set look on the Templar? I'm tempted to grab it while it's on sale.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Azran posted:

How bad, ranging from "godawful" to "kinda bad" does the Fire Armor set look on the Templar? I'm tempted to grab it while it's on sale.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Mr. Despair posted:

Give us the 1 month BLAMT league that only I want.

I want this as well. I still want my vengeance on Kaom for ending me 18 hours into the last 24hr BLAMT. :argh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

J posted:

Bestiary feels like the prototype "Crafting league" and essence feels like the refined version that comes out later.
That's clearly not the case because Bestiary is designed around having game knowledge of where to find mobs, grinding those mobs, then grinding them again in a weird mini-boss style battle for items - purposefully built (albeit maybe poorly) to slot alongside the core experience of the game that is beating up monsters in as great a quantity as possible.

Essences, in contrast, are modified alchs that drop only from disguised strongboxes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
FYI if you email support asking what an MTX looks like with certain combos they'll make it and send you a screenshot. Just be as descriptive as you can. Or at least they used to, I don't know about now.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So I decided to sell my yellow and lower tier red maps, and as soon as I had dumped them all into my stash tab all hell broke loose and for about 30 minutes I could not keep up with the trade requests. Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Dance Officer posted:

So I decided to sell my yellow and lower tier red maps, and as soon as I had dumped them all into my stash tab all hell broke loose and for about 30 minutes I could not keep up with the trade requests. Madness.

Selling excess maps is a great way to make some currency, especially early in a league and especially in a league like Bestiary where a lot of people have trouble sustaining high-tier maps because they didn't learn how to do it before Breach league and have been spoiled by effortless returns every league since.