Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Why not just play Stars Without Number or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

D20 is weird curse that compels people to either fix it or apply it to everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

D20 is weird curse that compels people to either fix it or apply it to everything.

It's a matter of simple economics and history, really. Few are "fixing" much of anything else because it's generally a combination of too obscure or there's not much there to work with mechanically.

A friend of mine is working on the Storyteller Street Fighter RPG, though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So after a skim of this I have some suggestions and questions:
  • Put in a bookmarks bar and a quick reference sheet.
  • How are characters intended to level up? I couldn't find anything about this.
  • Is the Overwhelmed status supposed to be rare?
  • Can you get both benefits of Heavy Munitions with one use, or are they separate?
  • Can you take any talents multiple times? Some of them don't grant modal abilities.
  • How does one get an ascension? There's some business about it and levels on the character sheet but not in the core text.
  • When do saving throws trigger? Just when a relevant attack fires or some other effect says so?
  • Some weapons have no plunder cost. Are they intended to be freely available so long as you can otherwise meet their requirements? (Classes, alignment, deployment slots)
  • For whatever reason Modify Armor doesn't have a writeup.
  • Songbird of Slaanesh needs to be reworded, as the listed duration is Battle but the effects imply otherwise.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For BC or DW fantasy flights' genesys (aka Star Wars) would be a better fit.

It can handle mind wierdness (at least Stat Wars can, haven't read genesys) as well as out right sorcery. Tossing AT-STs around with your mind is no different than tossing Land Raiders around.

It even has a mechanic built in for ignoring armour for power weapons.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

wiegieman posted:

Gen Con, so Aug 2.

There has been no GenCon since 2002, the Apostolic Seat of Saint Gygax is empty and shall remain so until GenCon is restored to fair Wisconsin.

This is some straight-up Avignon Papacy poo poo.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Schadenboner posted:

There has been no GenCon since 2002, the Apostolic Seat of Saint Gygax is empty and shall remain so until GenCon is restored to fair Wisconsin.

This is some straight-up Avignon Papacy poo poo.

Well call me a heretic, since I still go every year. I also have a habit of buying pen and paper rpgs at Gen-Con I never play. (Looks longingly at Polaris and Starfinder rulebooks.)

Only difference here is there is enough folks in #acolyte who will try this game that I'll buy it this year too.

Though drat it'd be great for Gen Con to return to Wisconsin, I say as a Wisconsin resident. Driving to Indy each year sucks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Werix posted:

Indy sucks.

FTFY

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

So after a skim of this I have some suggestions and questions:
  • Put in a bookmarks bar and a quick reference sheet.
  • How are characters intended to level up? I couldn't find anything about this.
  • Is the Overwhelmed status supposed to be rare?
  • Can you get both benefits of Heavy Munitions with one use, or are they separate?
  • Can you take any talents multiple times? Some of them don't grant modal abilities.
  • How does one get an ascension? There's some business about it and levels on the character sheet but not in the core text.
  • When do saving throws trigger? Just when a relevant attack fires or some other effect says so?
  • Some weapons have no plunder cost. Are they intended to be freely available so long as you can otherwise meet their requirements? (Classes, alignment, deployment slots)
  • For whatever reason Modify Armor doesn't have a writeup.
  • Songbird of Slaanesh needs to be reworded, as the listed duration is Battle but the effects imply otherwise.

Put in a bookmarks bar and a quick reference sheet.
I think depending on your PDF reader, there is a bookmarks bar; but I'll get to what you mean by quick reference on PMs if you like.

How are characters intended to level up? I couldn't find anything about this.
Right now this is intended to be at the GM's discretion, but that's not written in yet.

Is the Overwhelmed status supposed to be rare?
Yes.

Can you get both benefits of Heavy Munitions with one use, or are they separate?
Without describing what you mean further, I would say separate.

Can you take any talents multiple times? Some of them don't grant modal abilities.
No. Not sure what you mean here by "modal."

How does one get an ascension? There's some business about it and levels on the character sheet but not in the core text.
These are in the process of being re-worked; there used to be more of them, but they were turned into heresies. Not 100% on what I'm doing with the rest, may be a tier 4 thing.

Some weapons have no plunder cost. Are they intended to be freely available so long as you can otherwise meet their requirements? (Classes, alignment, deployment slots)
Yes; I will state clearly.

When do saving throws trigger? Just when a relevant attack fires or some other effect says so?
Yes; I will state clearly. These do not fire often right now.

For whatever reason Modify Armor doesn't have a writeup.
Ah, this became Anointed Armor. Thanks for picking that out.

Songbird of Slaanesh needs to be reworded, as the listed duration is Battle but the effects imply otherwise.
I see, will do.

Thanks for the read-through.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I actually want to try and do a Genesys hack of Black Crusade, I think the combination of narrative play with shared storytelling would work well for it.

The interesting part would be figuring out if you can get workable 40k scale ship combat in it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh, Genesys is like FFG GURPS. Had to look that up, I was wondering if FFG had managed to grab the Terminator license too.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Oh, Genesys is like FFG GURPS. Had to look that up, I was wondering if FFG had managed to grab the Terminator license too.

It's a generic setting-independent version of FFG's Star Wars RPG, which is a very very very good system for flexible narrative games.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

...Except when values in d100 are not factors of 5.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

...Except when values in d100 are not factors of 5.

Definitely important for all those bonuses and penalties not divisible by 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The big difference between 40kRPG and d20 isn't the die, it's rolling under a stat vs rolling over a DC.

Sure we could use a d20 and we could say that your Strength is 6, so you have to roll a 6 or less to succeed at a lifting the portcullis, but also you have Athletics ranked up twice for a +4 and also a crowbar for +2 and your friend is helping you for another +2 so really you only have to roll an 16 or less. That would be 40k RPGs d100 system using d20, but it's not the d20 system first developed in D&D 3.0, because in 3.0 you'd have to answer the question: "What is the DC to lift the portcullis?"

What I like about the 40kRPG VS d20 is that the modifiers of 40kRPG have always made more sense to me than the DCs of D20, which always (in the games I played in) seemed to scale too much with the players. That chart that ended with Aragorn tracking the hobbits never seemed to influence my GM's much, but YMMV.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently Rogue Traders will be a playable archetype for WanG as will Ork Nobs though I can’t remember if I already mentioned that last one.

More important, though, is the amazing outpouring of whining on FB every time the team puts up one of these Archetype art previews. There’s nothing really wrong with the art, but that doesn’t stop people from braying for the artist’s firing because it doesn’t meet their nebulous vision of 40k. Reminds me a lot of when the Space Hulk Deathwing trailer came out and dared to use music that wasn’t all metal or chanting or bombastic propaganda kind of stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

PantsOptional posted:

Apparently Rogue Traders will be a playable archetype for WanG as will Ork Nobs though I can’t remember if I already mentioned that last one.

More important, though, is the amazing outpouring of whining on FB every time the team puts up one of these Archetype art previews. There’s nothing really wrong with the art, but that doesn’t stop people from braying for the artist’s firing because it doesn’t meet their nebulous vision of 40k. Reminds me a lot of when the Space Hulk Deathwing trailer came out and dared to use music that wasn’t all metal or chanting or bombastic propaganda kind of stuff.

Yeah, I love that trailer. It was unfortunately the best thing about the game. :smith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Repeat after me: "Hams are the loving worst".

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
While I don't have a strong opinion on the new artwork either way, it does look rather clean and generic compared to most of the Dark Heresy art in particular. Leave it to the Internet to blow it all way out of proportion, of course. :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Schadenboner posted:

Repeat after me: "Hams are the loving worst".

What if they're steamed?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

While I don't have a strong opinion on the new artwork either way, it does look rather clean and generic compared to most of the Dark Heresy art in particular. Leave it to the Internet to blow it all way out of proportion, of course. :shrug:

We're talking Rogue Traders. They're supposed to be clean and fancy. They're supposed to look like they're going to a Disney Ball in Hell. I had no idea what the complaints were about.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

susan posted:

We're talking Rogue Traders.
Not only, though. As far as I'm aware, (some) people have been Mad about the W&G art pretty much since the first picture was posted.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My favorite was the last one where they posted up a picture of a Crimson Fists Scout and the Reddit (first mistake) commenters went ballistic about how it didn’t look like an Astartes because of all the implants Spehss Mehreens are supposed to have, listing a bunch that are entirely internal and couldn’t possibly be shown in a normal picture. They also complained about how it wasn’t the right scale, even though there wasn’t anything else in the picture to suggest any sense of scale whatsoever.

Hams are the fuckin’ worst.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Azhais posted:

What if they're steamed?

Well I'm from Milwaukee and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "Steamed Hams are the loving worst", but they really are?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh wait. I know why this Rogue Trader is catching poo poo in the comments.

He’s black.

Fuckin’ hams.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I love that trailer. It was unfortunately the best thing about the game. :smith:
I'm still deeply disappointed that game wasn't VR. Just getting to stomp around in a VR space hulk would probably make me happy with the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Please import some of the drama so I don't have to go looking for it, tia.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Where's all this art being posted?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

PantsOptional posted:

Oh wait. I know why this Rogue Trader is catching poo poo in the comments.

He’s black.

Fuckin’ hams.

Its pretty much the only difference that rogue trader has compared to most other pictures of generic rogue traders.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Its pretty much the only difference that rogue trader has compared to most other pictures of generic rogue traders.

I mean, the relative lack of baroqucoco festooning is unfortunate, although the amount on the guy is (barely) enough* but yeah, let's get down to not splitting hairs with brass tacks here. That's the "problem".

Say it with me: Hams are the loving worst and ruin loving everything.

*: I really liked FFG's "Grimdark Louis Quatorze IIIINNNNN SPPPAAACCCEE" thing since it felt like a callback to the Blanche-fu of the original reference art. If you didn't you are unlikely to agree with my assessment.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 21, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I just realized how little I'd ever want to carry an Imperial plasma weapon that close to my junk. All it takes is forgetting to let it cool off after a firefight...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can only see five skulls! That man is practically naked.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Lone Badger posted:

At least a total of 7 (counting implied) though?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gotta admit, he looks like the chumpiest Rogue Traders in the galaxy. How am I supposed to take him seriously when he can be out dressed by a grunt in the Scintillan Fusiliers?

That said, the hams are absolutely wrong.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That one is a fine character art, but doesn't really sell to me that he's a rogue trader. He looks like he'd be on the payroll of one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rogue Traders have a literal license to do whatever they want, which presumably extends to dressing how they please.

This guy is fine, if understated.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

A Rogue Trader can stroll around stark naked and still be the best-dressed person in the room on pain of death!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It looks great. I like any rpg art that isn't overly stylised. Is there a place I can see more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

The Lone Badger posted:

You are missing the most important point that makes him under-dressed. No hat!

How can you take a Rogue Trader seriously without a magnificent hat!