Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

orcane posted:

The encoder is not done/optimized and there's no hardware support for it - yet.

I think they were still expecting a 5x slowdown compared to VP9 which is already a pretty slow codec, so I wouldn't expect AV1 to be on the same speed level as x265 even after optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

When you guys re-encode your video files into X265 or whatnot, what are you watching them on then?

If the player you have isn't compatible with the newest codec, do you pass it through Plex and a badass encoding box or are you just limiting yourself to certain devices?

I haven't switched from Placibo X264 Ripbot settings as I have way too many older devices that I stream to, even using Plex, that want to reencode either the Audio or Video. Right now a little Gigabyte Brix 4570R handles the Plex Server stuff, but even it can't seem to keep up when I throw it anything oddball. Audio streams seem to piss off Plex the most which moved me to doing both XCopy and 5.1 AC3.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

DF are implying that there's no reason the PS4 couldn't get VRR. Any idea why only Xbox has it then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LBOg-NcPQ

how many vrr TVs are there on the market now? PS4 is selling better enough that it doesn’t have to justify itself with features like the Xbox does. Just business reality

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Generic Monk posted:

av1 is slightly better quality for the same bitrate, in exchange for the encode taking literally thousands of times as long last I checked. it literally only exists so google don't have to pay royalties to MPEG and save a few $ on bandwidth costs

It may only exist so Google doesn't have to pay royalties to MPEG, but that's a pretty hefty lineup of companies in the AOMedia group. https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/28/google-apple-intel-av1-netflix-amazon/

Generic Monk posted:

how many vrr TVs are there on the market now? PS4 is selling better enough that it doesn’t have to justify itself with features like the Xbox does. Just business reality

Entirely joking and rhetorical with no ill will, but man, if there was only some way for Sony to do something about making VRR TVs. Like, a TV division, or something.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 19, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

There are TVs and then there are monitors. I don't understand the appeal of gaming on a monitor, but if you're cramped for space, it makes sense.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think Sony probably wants to wait for a proper rollout of HDMI 2.1 VRR instead of the half-baked and clumsy implemention that the Xbox has with freesync. It doesn't work properly and it isn't even system-wide, specific titles have to be engineered with it in mind. Sony probably looked at the current state of freesync and didn't feel it was worth rolling out a feature that's patchwork at best. When they come to the VRR table it will be full-throated. They have a major TV division after all, and were one of the multiple founding companies behind the HDMI video output.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29C6DB0651&cm_re=1080_ti-_-14-487-336-_-Product

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING, 11G-P4-6393-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Cooler & LED

Currently on NewEgg for $809, same card on Amazon is $1,130.

I realize even $800 is high for a card that originally would have MSRP'd around $700, but given the GPU price inflation we're all familiar with I think I'll buy one of these. I've needed a new video card for a while and I've been deal hunting a couple times per week. I don't think I am likely to do better than this in the very near future and I am fortunate that I can afford it.

My expectation is that this is one of the best cards on the market (without going into $1,200 Titan territory). I know there's an edition of this card out with more temperature sensors, but I don't think that matters for my purposes. I also am aware that new cards are expected at some point later this year.

Let me know if you think this is a bad move even for someone with a 5+ year old card which pretty badly needs an upgrade. Can't play contemporary games at low settings with >30 FPS, and it crashes on loading a 3D application ~10% of the time.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play stuff from my NAS to MPC-HC. Me and my 2 room mates share it and all have extra monitors so playing stuff from a PC is easy. No re-encoding or anything special.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My expectation is that this is one of the best cards on the market (without going into $1,200 Titan territory). I know there's an edition of this card out with more temperature sensors, but I don't think that matters for my purposes. I also am aware that new cards are expected at some point later this year.

Let me know if you think this is a bad move even for someone with a 5+ year old card which pretty badly needs an upgrade. Can't play contemporary games at low settings with >30 FPS, and it crashes on loading a 3D application ~10% of the time.

All the 1080Ti's are basically the same in terms of performance, so you're really just buying a different cooling solution. EVGAs ones are pretty decent--you don't need extra temp sensors for anything.

As for the price, it's not bad for things right now. Whether you want to wait is a question of opportunity cost: they'll almost certainly drop a few hundred dollars when the 11-series comes out, which is rumored to maybe be in the June/July time frame, but no one knows for sure. So if it's worth $200 or so to you to be able to game well for the next 4 months or so is a question for you to answer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29C6DB0651&cm_re=1080_ti-_-14-487-336-_-Product

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING, 11G-P4-6393-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Cooler & LED

Currently on NewEgg for $809, same card on Amazon is $1,130.

I realize even $800 is high for a card that originally would have MSRP'd around $700, but given the GPU price inflation we're all familiar with I think I'll buy one of these. I've needed a new video card for a while and I've been deal hunting a couple times per week. I don't think I am likely to do better than this in the very near future and I am fortunate that I can afford it.

That is about the best performance-to-price you can get right now, that particular EVGA model is good, and EVGA has a 90-day trade in policy (https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/), so if you stay on top of things and follow all their fine print, you could upgrade that to an 1180 in a few months if you're lucky enough to have it come out in that time-frame. If you need to play games now, that's probably your best bet, or find a more reasonable lower priced tier like EVGA 1070, in either case you'd only have to pay them the difference (if any) to trade in to the new generation of cards.

Edit: Also, EVGA is the only manufacturer with a trade-in plan like that, and they have the best warranty/support.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Then you know they don't want to be hanging onto any large turn overs in coin market. So drying out for a few months is something I'm sure they want to ensure happens since you know "free upgrades" is a novel thing when video cards are sold under MSRP, instead of bought in bulk to squeeze out pennies of profit from abusing the electric grid. Nvidia would lose a huge amount of business by pushing a release sooner and screwing them, along with any other retailer that has lax return policies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Phuzun posted:

Then you know they don't want to be hanging onto any large turn overs in coin market. So drying out for a few months is something I'm sure they want to ensure happens since you know "free upgrades" is a novel thing when video cards are sold under MSRP, instead of bought in bulk to squeeze out pennies of profit from abusing the electric grid. Nvidia would lose a huge amount of business by pushing a release sooner and screwing them, along with any other retailer that has lax return policies.

Who are you talking to, me? You're suggesting EVGA is going to suspend or delay their trade-up program right now, to avoid having to honor it if new cards release in June? Even though they never have before, including during previous coin surges?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think he understands bitcoin mining either. Any of them who bought cards that fall within the trade-up window bought them well after the window of any profitability. They are more likely to just buy the new cards in addition to the current ones they have to try and stem the rising difficulty eating into their daily income.

The cards being sold today werent made yesterday. Many of the components were paid for half a year ago or more. If you are going to spread baseless rumors at least try any make it sound realistic

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 20, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My insider super secret uncle at Nintendo did mention he heard that the next gen wasn't actually slated to launch until Next year...

I sure hope that's not true, but until we know, we don't know I guess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
large scale operations arent buying stacks of GPUs anymore, they are scaling back and selling off the less profitable cards on ebay for still above MSRP. The exception would be the ones that generate their own power.

The demand for cards from non miners is easily high enough to absorb a lot of returns. This week some were being sold near MSRP but those are selling out immediately while the ones at 20% above MSRP continue to sell well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EdEddnEddy posted:

My insider super secret uncle at Nintendo did mention he heard that the next gen wasn't actually slated to launch until Next year...

I sure hope that's not true, but until we know, we don't know I guess.

Given that GDDR6 is only set to go into full scale production in June, you have to assume it's going to take a few months for them to build up enough of it to start populating PCBs.

My earliest guess is limited distribution for Christmas, probably at some early-adopter price premium.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

As far as small form or tiny graphics cards are concerned, is the Gigabyte 1080 mini the best currently out? I want to make a small PC build now because I'm not a fan of lugging heavy towers anymore.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

halokiller posted:

As far as small form or tiny graphics cards are concerned, is the Gigabyte 1080 mini the best currently out? I want to make a small PC build now because I'm not a fan of lugging heavy towers anymore.

The Zotac 1080ti Mini is smaller than the Gigabite 1080 and obviously more powerful, though it has some serious coil whine on account of the skimpy VRMs. If you game with headphones or have tinnitus it might be the card for you though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

halokiller posted:

I've scarcely concealed disdain for Zotac based on the fact that they notoriously find more corners to cut in constructing their cards than Gigabyte, but they've managed to make the smallest 1080Ti, if you can find one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dHcMnQ/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10810g-10p

They also made a mini-ITX-targeted 1080 as well. Both share the same cooling apparatus, which looks a bit more developed than the Gigabyte's single-fan setup.

E:F;B

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 20, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I can probably just swing by with a 1070 minis as well since even the small form cards are still subject to stupid prices.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

large scale operations arent buying stacks of GPUs anymore, they are scaling back and selling off the less profitable cards on ebay for still above MSRP. The exception would be the ones that generate their own power.

The demand for cards from non miners is easily high enough to absorb a lot of returns. This week some were being sold near MSRP but those are selling out immediately while the ones at 20% above MSRP continue to sell well.

They better hurry up, because mining is starting to swing back. Though I'll say it again if they couldn't get supply back after two months of unprofitable mining then I wouldn't hope for much until next gen.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I've been thinking of buying a new GPU now that mining has slowed down a bit, but I know we're only a couple of months away from the next line of Nvidia cards. Is buying a card on release difficult at all? Because if it isn't I'll wait but if it is I'll probably settle for a 1080 or something.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yes it is.

Might not necessarily be a couple months away.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
You're in a tough spot there. Advice could easily go either way and be just as right as the other choice. I usually lean towards being now and selling later unless a new release is truly imminent.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you do buy something now, be sure to get EVGA so you have options if the new cards drop within the next 90 days.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Last night I took apart my Zotac 1070 to try and fix a broken fan. This is way too much thermal paste, right?

When I reassembled it I used the same amount thermal paste that I put on CPUs. Is that enough for a GPU? I didn't want to push my luck with the fan by stress testing it. I got the fan spinning again, but the plastic center of the fan blade is cracked almost straight across the diameter. It's basically being held together by the Zotac sticker and makes worrying noises at high speeds.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
No, that's the right amount of thermal paste, and if you used the normal amount for a CPU that's too little. A GPU doesn't have a heatspreader and if you don't have full coverage you can damage the chip.

There is no downside to an enthusiastic, or even excessive application of paste, and a lot of downside if you don't have enough. Go ahead and dump the whole tube on there if you want. (do not actually do this, but do give it a very liberal amount by CPU standards)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is no downside to an enthusiastic, or even excessive application of paste, and a lot of downside if you don't have enough. Go ahead and dump the whole tube on there if you want. (do not actually do this, but do give it a very liberal amount by CPU standards)

Read the previous post, went to fetch this video, saw it was already posted.

All is right with the world.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Ok, thanks.

Are there any aftermarket GPU coolers that anyone would recommend? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement fan that would fit my existing cooler (ZT-P10700C-10P).

E: On the other hand I've got a bunch of old GPUs at home. I'm sure I can rig something up :getin:

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lucinice posted:

I've been thinking of buying a new GPU now that mining has slowed down a bit, but I know we're only a couple of months away from the next line of Nvidia cards. Is buying a card on release difficult at all? Because if it isn't I'll wait but if it is I'll probably settle for a 1080 or something.

Historically it's pretty easy to get a card at release AS LONG AS you are willing to spend a couple weeks with nowinstock alerts and being fairly flexible on which exact model/brand you get. If you will only accept a specific EVGA FTW WINNAR version and/or you are not willing/able to wait or react to an email alert it has historically been 6-8 week wait before the market is decently saturated.

However, with the pent-up demand and likely some existing mining demand (even if the profitability isn't there) it'll be worse this next generation, but no one knows how much worse.

We also have no idea when the next series will launch. Might be June, might be November, might be a year from now. NVidia has a marketplace where they hilariously hold all the cards.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

Ok, thanks.

Are there any aftermarket GPU coolers that anyone would recommend? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement fan that would fit my existing cooler (ZT-P10700C-10P).

E: On the other hand I've got a bunch of old GPUs at home. I'm sure I can rig something up :getin:

If you can take the shroud off the heatsink as well as the fans, just zip tie some 120mm fans on to the heatsink.

https://youtu.be/-yQHAMz1v5g

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I still think we are gonna see new gaming cards this summer. But I thought we were gonna see new cards in March so.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, if you've got a heatsink with a good amount of metal and can get the shroud off 120/140mmX25mm CPU fans can do wonders while probably being free if you're been building computers for a while. As long as you're not building in an ITX case or something, but in that case most of the aftermarket solutions turn cards into 3.5 slot heatsinks anyways.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II is one of the few that doesn't need like 4 slots.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Can someone give me a rundown on why an AIMM style solution would not work for modern iGPUs? Just an add in card with GDDR5, DDR3 or DDR4 on it to feed the onboard GPU? Is the latency going to be an issue no matter what and give inferior performance compared to pulling from system RAM, or is the effective cost of making something like that mean margins are nonexistent or even negative?

It hasn't been done so there has to be a good reason, what is that reason though?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Probably signal integrity issues, I'd think. Memory tuning isn't always easy even on a CPU, and a GPU pushes a lot more throughput per chip.

edit: oh yeah, you'd also need to specifically match bus width (and of course memory type) so it would be largely specific to a particular card anyway, it just adds a lot of complexity for no particular gain

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 20, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II is one of the few that doesn't need like 4 slots.

I had some fantastic results taking the completely passive Arctic Accelero S3...: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E/

Then popping off the plastic border so it's just the heatsink, and strapping one or two slim 140mm fans to that. The fins are placed really wide apart so fans like the Ultra Sleek Vortex can work great at completely inaudible RPM: https://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Ultra-Vortex-Mounting-Pattern/dp/B00B1WQ4VA/

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Complexity is cost. I could easily see something like that being around 200 dollars to double the speed of an iGPU. Or you could spend a bit over 200 on a 6GB 1060 for much better performance. (Or 300 now, but it was never supposed to be that expensive)

A "better" solution would be getting like 4266MHz memory. You might not be able to hit its maxed out speeds depending on your memory controller, but it would be cheaper than a dedicated card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zero VGS posted:

I had some fantastic results taking the completely passive Arctic Accelero S3...: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E/

Then popping off the plastic border so it's just the heatsink, and strapping one or two slim 140mm fans to that. The fins are placed really wide apart so fans like the Ultra Sleek Vortex can work great at completely inaudible RPM: https://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Ultra-Vortex-Mounting-Pattern/dp/B00B1WQ4VA/

I did exactly that with one and a 7850. It coped really well (single fan at 5v).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Lockback posted:

We also have no idea when the next series will launch. Might be June, might be November, might be a year from now. NVidia has a marketplace where they hilariously hold all the cards.

Everywhere I looked said Q3 of this year. Is that just a rumour everyone is taking as true because we have nothing else?

Enos Cabell posted:

If you do buy something now, be sure to get EVGA so you have options if the new cards drop within the next 90 days.

Why EVGA? I don't know about what benefit each brand gives.