Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yay for American Vandal, really deserved

Arist posted:

But also I just don't want to watch them try to just do the same thing again.

But what if they did something... different? :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In general I think anybody who worries that a sequel is going to ruin the original is just looking for poo poo to complain about. I don't say that with any sense of superiority, I'm sure I've fallen into that trap myself once or twice. (Hell, if The End of the F**king World got a second season I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.) But honestly, if you like American Vandal well enough and you see that the same team is willing to make more, how about you bite the loving bullet and see what they do before you decide it shouldn't exist?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tk posted:

I rather enjoyed Other Space.

It’s really good and I hope somehow it has a life in the future. It’s a shame most people don’t even know it exists.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't say it would ruin the original and I didn't say it shouldn't exist, dude. I'm just wary and I'd prefer that team try their hand at something new.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon is making the Utopia show written by Gillian Flynn. No David Fincher though.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17256416/amazon-studios-gillian-flynn-channel-4-utopia-series-pickup

This is a scene from the OG british show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tFA5t_d_o

I'm sad that the original show never finished its story because the Fall and Rise of Wilson Wilson was awesome.

What got me to watch it personally was some goon posting the opening scene from Ep. 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The problem with continuing Other Space is that you don't need to bring back a specific cast for the well-worn "Like Star trek, but a comedy" concept.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of “Star Trek, but a comedy” I’m really looking forwards to The Orville coming back. I didn’t expect to like that show anywhere near as much as I did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Booo.

How about John Hamm doing Ray Romano?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-jmUuIzkwI

Jon Hamm's episode of Toast of London was so loving good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Jon Hamm's episode of Toast of London was so loving good.

I only knew of Hamm from Mad Men for a while, where he was a really good dramatic actor with some dry humor. When I heard him on comedy stuff it blew my goddamn mind, he’s renowned for his Don Draper work but he is a very, very funny guy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jon Hamm is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Find any episode of Comedy Bang Bang the podcast with him as a guest. Just the best.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EL BROMANCE posted:

Find any episode of Comedy Bang Bang the podcast with him as a guest. Just the best.

I find it funny that the two best dramatic actors in recent TV history both started out as comedic actors.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cactus posted:

Counterpart:

I'm only halfway through the pilot but I thought I'd just pause it to drop in here and say wow. I'm really impressed with the way they dealt with a washed out post-middle-aged man meeting himself and comparing regrets with his alt-universe other self. That was really well done in my opinion. They acknowledge the vast amount of variables involved is enough to send you insane if you think too much about it, and they also touch on the nature/nurture debate while they make it clear that every decision one can take has it's advantages and regrets.

And I'm not even at the 40 minute mark. If the rest of the series is as well-thought-out as this I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

Edit: Also, loving PROCTOR!!!

edit2: Finished the first ep; and holy poo poo I hope this is going to be Fringe on steroids!

Man oh man (last episode spoilers)

They killed the wrong person. Aldrich was way more interesting and nuanced to me than the murderous anime lady assassin.

Only con with that show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

swickles posted:

I find it funny that the two best dramatic actors in recent TV history both started out as comedic actors.

Personally I don’t think JK Simmons’ portrayal of a neo nazi in Oz was particularly funny, but each to their own.

I kid, but having a brain fart over who the other person is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

And both were on Breaking Bad!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Personally I don’t think JK Simmons’ portrayal of a neo nazi in Oz was particularly funny, but each to their own.

I would assume John Odenkirk

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's Bryan Cranston

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I was referring to Cranston.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alec Baldwin went from all drama to really tired comedic impressions. I think it's much better when people start out in comedy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Comedy is harder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

swickles posted:

Yeah, I was referring to Cranston.

Ah of course. Also another reminder I'm still super behind on BCS.

Arist posted:

Comedy is harder.

Agreed, although it blows my mind that only a handful of comedy movies get produced each year and most are average or worse in the grand scheme of things. Given how much good comedy exists in other media forms, it's sad how difficult it seems to getting a 90 minutes thing with a bunch of jokes in it made.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird watching Rowan Atkinson in Maigret playing a completely straight character because I keep expecting him to start doing rubber-faced slapstick routines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's weird watching Rowan Atkinson in Maigret playing a completely straight character because I keep expecting him to start doing rubber-faced slapstick routines.

Someone needs to watch Blackadder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I have watched every episode of Blackadder more times than I can count over the past 18 years. (And I know it's 18 years, because the first time I saw Blackadder was in 2000 when I saw Blackadder Back and Forth at the Millennium Dome.) :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Agreed, although it blows my mind that only a handful of comedy movies get produced each year and most are average or worse in the grand scheme of things. Given how much good comedy exists in other media forms, it's sad how difficult it seems to getting a 90 minutes thing with a bunch of jokes in it made.

That's because it's not nearly as easy to use musical cues and editing to make someone laugh as it is to make them feel ~drama~ or ~action~.

Sense of humor is way more subjective. That's why all the comedies that make bank are "broad" comedies. Even Ghostbusters is mostly broad humor, eg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone have any good recommendations for a HDMI hub/splitter that can do 4K?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of failed streaming platforms, I recently learned that their Seeso contract means the McElroy brothers don't get any money from sales of the My Brother My Brother and Me show. Which must sting when it debuted at number one on both iTunes and Google Play.

Well I guess now they know why people get lawyers to hash these kinda things out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching the third season of Lexx. The villain is a middle-aged man with a lip ring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

The villain is a middle-aged man with a lip ring

I mean, isn't it always?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ooh poo poo, Lowtax is in Lexx

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God I love when Conan's show goes off the rails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C882BxMBtvM

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

God I love when Conan's show goes off the rails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C882BxMBtvM

And upside-down it reads as "Oh, Channing" so it adds to the joke.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well I guess now they know why people get lawyers to hash these kinda things out.

I doubt they didn't have a lawyer, they have their fingers in a lot of pies and also their uncle(?) is a lawyer so i'd be extremely surprised.

They probably just didn't get a deal on whatever because the show was like 6 episodes on a streaming service nobody ever heard of.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grem posted:

There's some new Forged in Fire spin off on History I decided to watch tonight. They run a little course with their blades, I guess. I don't think they're all smiths, just some dudes that love knives. I'm only a few minutes in and wanted to take the time to inform this thread there is the most weebo dude I've ever seen in a kimono and a katana and fat. Should be good!

The best was "You can't get a real katana out of Japan because they're considered historical artifacts, but I found a Japanese smith in China who made one to my exact specifications."

Host: "The handle is loose."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I specified a loose handle.

L..liberal media at it again :qq:

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 20, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Allison Mack has been arrested.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/987407451522781184

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I seem to recall it barely making the cut for the third season.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
You recall correctly; however, as an Evil Dead fan, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Some good news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0kYqIUhw0