Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Action #600 was one of my earliest purchases, I wish I could say I bought every issue since but I fell in and out of comics and on and off the Superman books many times.

This just reminded me that I need to get on it and buy the Superman GA archives since I stopped at V2.

I'm pretty close to a full run from the first issue after COIE to 902 or whenever Flashpoint reset everything. And I started again with Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I'm pretty close to a full run from the first issue after COIE to 902 or whenever Flashpoint reset everything. And I started again with Rebirth.

I had a complete run from COIE to about 2006 or so. Ended up selling everything that summer. As much as I hate Byrne the post Crisis Superman is what I grew up with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't Action Comics weekly for awhile? Seems a bit like cheating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Action Comics weekly for awhile? Seems a bit like cheating.

We talked about that a few posts back and it was for 42 issues. Amazing Spider-man was three times a month for how long? Do those issues not count either?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I'm sure they'll have another on his 100th birthday.

I can't help but feel like the Green Lanterns are going to (try to) come down hard on China, and I'm really looking forward to it. It seems like something even the Guardians would get involved with, or they would only get involved with. I imagine some writers would have a humorous scene where the Guardians threaten legal action and the Chinese government points out that their 'emotional spectrum energy' trademark has no standing in the eyes of the PRC. On twitter.

But I hope whatever happens isn't lost in a crossover event with the Darkstars or something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Looks like New Superman isn't making it past #24. I'm sad, I really wish this series had gotten the support it deserves. It's everything I could have wanted.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Take your salt grains. BC is saying Grant Morrison will be the next ongoing Green Lantern writer.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/grant-morrison-on-green-lantern-dc-fresh-start/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Take your salt grains. BC is saying Grant Morrison will be the next ongoing Green Lantern writer.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/grant-morrison-on-green-lantern-dc-fresh-start/

I'm a little confused on this Fresh Start stuff.

Is this an in-continuity new series?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nah, no way. Grant Morrison isn't going to go back on monthly's for DC. Why would he?

Also, why would Geoff Johns give his baby to a guy who allegedly has it in his contract that you can't exert editorial control on anything he writes?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'Fresh Start' is just making fun of Marvel's relaunch, but everything does seem to be shaking up at once with the new JLs, TTs, Bendis, Catwoman and people just generally leaving and getting on books in the next few months.

edit: Other than King's Batman, of course. Nobody's messing with that.

As for what form GMoGL'll be, even Rich doesn't know from whatever whisper he got.

Covok posted:

Nah, no way. Grant Morrison isn't going to go back on monthly's for DC. Why would he?

He's about to start co-writing blimmin' Sideways. Dude loves DC.
Apparently his one remaining Superhero dream job is to do a long Flash run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 20, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Covok posted:

Also, why would Geoff Johns give his baby to a guy who allegedly has it in his contract that you can't exert editorial control on anything he writes?

Could be a case of crossed wires and he’s just doing a miniseries or a Black Label book.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

'Fresh Start' is just making fun of Marvel's relaunch, but everything does seem to be shaking up at once with the new JLs, TTs, Bendis, Catwoman and people just generally leaving and getting on books in the next few months.

edit: Other than King's Batman, of course. Nobody's messing with that.

As for what form GMoGL'll be, even Rich doesn't know from whatever whisper he got.

He's about to start co-writing blimmin' Sideways. Dude loves DC.
Apparently his one remaining Superhero dream job is to do a long Flash run.

He's co-writting Sideways? Huh, I'm kind of shocked. Dude is 58 years old, that is a rough age to be doing monthlies.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
By my count there's three books that don't have an announced ongoing writer. Wonder Woman and Detective Comics have someone doing a limited arc, and Venditti is leaving Hal Jordan after this arc. So there are openings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grant has finished the spell that brings the DCU to life so he can bang it.

I just found out that the pleasant man we met in the DC lobby was James Robinson and I didn't even recognize him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Covok posted:

He's co-writting Sideways? Huh, I'm kind of shocked. Dude is 58 years old, that is a rough age to be doing monthlies.
This seems like an odd statement, at least for writers. Dan Jurgens is also 58. Priest and Mark Waid are 56. Giffen and DeMatteis are 65 and 64 respectively.
Marv Wolfman is 71.
Peter David is 61 and was writing multiple monthly books prior health issues.
Chris Claremont is 67 and would 100% be writing a monthly series if Marvel let him.
Bendis, Brubaker, Slott, Abnett, Ellis, Robinson, Rucka, etc. are all in their 50s.

I'm not saying it's a net positive to have a bunch of white dudes in their 50s and 60s writing monthly superhero comics, but there's been a whole bunch of them writing them at least since the 1960s (Jack Kirby turned 50 in 1967, Stan Lee turned 50 in 1972, Robert Kanigher in 1965, etc) you had a bunch of really young people sort of flood in during the 1970s into the early 1980s but a large number of those people are still around and for a writer it is probably a lot easier to set aside some time to work out 12 issues of Green Lantern plot and do tweaks here and there over the course of the next year versus actually drawing twelve issues, which I'd kind of agree being 58 and committing to a monthly series seems like a bad idea, a lot of people in their 20s and 30s aren't capable of that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Covok posted:

58 of our primitive Earth years, perhaps. In Aquarian Tarot years, he's still a sapling on the face of the Electric Deku Tree.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so what's happening in the dc world these days.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just read Wonder Woman Earth One.

I'm glad I bought it digitally because I don't want a physical copy of this book.

Why did you open with Hippotlya's implied rape and why is the big reveal that Wonder Woman is a rape baby? Which, by the way, I guessed in the first act when she questioned her birth as a statue.

That loving submission poo poo was ALWAYS creepy and it only felt weirder and creepier here. Also, the fact Trevor's black made the loving submission stuff and his siding with the Amazons weirder, but that may be because I view the concept as "happy slavery."

Also, why the gently caress did you make Wonder Woman a rape baby? Why? Even Brian Azzellero didn't do that! In New 52, they had mutual attraction and Zeus had consent! Even he didn't go that far!

Kurtofan posted:

Superman and Batman are both married (edit: to different people) and have kids.

Wonder Woman has a brother.

Green Lantern Corp got two new members, a guy and a girl, and they want to screw each other.

Justice League is splitting up into smaller teams before reforming into one team.

Aquaman is actually cool.

Also, I am still catching up since work kept me away from reading my comics. I just read an issue of Justice League where loving Black Panther from Marvel shows up! Sorry, "Red Lion." Priest also wrote for Black Panther so that might be related, but it's weird. No, you know what it probably was? Black Panther's movie was practically printing money so they wanted to cash-in.

Seriously, that Red Lion poo poo was like "what the gently caress?" for me.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 20, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Kurtofan posted:

Bendis and johns have teamed up to destory the dcu

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More BC new comic rumors.
Bendis was planning on getting Matt Fraction to make a Jimmy Olsen comic, but it fell through https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/matt-fraction-not-jimmy-olsen-dc/
But Kelly Sue DeConnick is on for Aquaman https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/kelly-sue-deconnick-aquaman-dc/
David F. Walker Flash https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/david-f-walker-flash-dc-fresh-start/
Brian Azzarello Suicide Squad https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/brian-azzarello-on-suicide-squad-dc-fresh-start/
and Liam Sharp drawing Morrison's GL https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/20/liam-sharp-grant-morrison-green-lantern/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 21, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want that Kelly Sue DeConnick Aquaman series to be real.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I realize no one writes the same book forever anymore but I'm sad about most of these changes on the big DC books because they're just going to mean I end up dropping like half of my DC pulls. Not a huge deal since Marvel is launching a bunch of new stuff I'd like to try out, but I was such a huge fan of most of the core Rebirth books and I wish they could've gone on longer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why assume these will be for the worse?

edit: A lot of runs are up to 50 issues cause of double shipping. It's wild that King almost has as many issues as Snyder's Batman already.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 21, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Azzarello on Suicide Squad should be really cool. Wonder if they're going to change teammates, I'm getting tired of the standard group by now, but I was a big fan of v2 and that switched it up every story.

Covok posted:

No, you know what it probably was? Black Panther's movie was practically printing money so they wanted to cash-in.

It's funny because he was introduced well before the movie (back in 2016). He was made by Christopher Priest, though, who has written Black Panther before. I figured it was a way of having a similar character without the constraints he might have to deal with at Marvel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Red Lion is basically Priest taking the piss out of Black Panther, especially since for the longest time after Black Panther he was pigeonholed as "The Black Writer"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Azz on Suicide Squad actually seems like it might be a good fit for him, but seriously I would love to see Rucka take a run on that title soooooooooooooo badly.

Dunbar: Are you not a fan of those creative teams because there is some seriously good talent in there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like to give bendis poo poo but if he managed to get David Walker some more work I can respect that

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm completely on board for Azzarello on Suicide Squad, that type of title is exactly up his alley and Rob Williams' SS lost steam after a while so I'm ready for an Azz take on the series.

I don't actually know much about KSD as a writer, I'd be sad to see Abnett leaving Aquaman cause I really liked his run after Sejic came on and the art and writing spiked in quality but if he leaves after the Rath arc it'd be completely understandable. What's the general view of KSD's writing?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Covok posted:

Green Lantern Corp got two new members, a guy and a girl, and they want to screw each other.

https://twitter.com/EffinBirds/status/987450902306082816?s=19

Covok
May 27, 2013

Listen, I am a few weeks behind, but that was the status quo at the end of Superhuman Trafficking.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, now Jessica wants to screw Bruce, get it right!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Roth posted:

Yeah, now Jessica wants to screw Bruce, get it right!

Let's talk about that because she was kissing Bruce the same week her dating app paired her with Simon and she got all hot and bothered and Simon joked that it actually originally matched him with her before she goes all "I am never alone because I use my ring to keep my dead friends with me at all times."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From the launch of their book I said it was going to eventually lead to them hooking up.

Edit:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769866&userid=34746&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post461271507

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 21, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Actually, to go deeper on that, wasn't using the ring to bring back your dead friends why Hal Jordan was kicked out of the Corps? I say as if I don't already know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Actually, to go deeper on that, wasn't using the ring to bring back your dead friends why Hal Jordan was kicked out of the Corps? I say as if I don't already know.

He didn't actually get kicked out.

He murdered the gently caress out of everyone before they could take his ring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

It was using the ring for personal reasons instead of doing your job. Hal was basically chillin' in a weird green construct of Coast City IIRC.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Covok posted:

Let's talk about that because she was kissing Bruce the same week her dating app paired her with Simon and she got all hot and bothered and Simon joked that it actually originally matched him with her before she goes all "I am never alone because I use my ring to keep my dead friends with me at all times."

Their time isn't the same as our time. They were in outer space doing something for Martian Manhunter in Justice League, not doing the thing they were doing in Green Lanterns comic.

So she kissed Bruce some week before or after her dating app paired her. And it seems like it was her being a spaz in a tense situation. She and Catwoman seemed to have bonded over it.

I think the Justice League story could have been tighter but it was pretty good and Priest did what he was trying to do, showing them from different angles and in situations they aren't usually in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Covok posted:

Not quite, Using the ring to create people isn't a crime, Mogo technically does that for all the Lanterns as part of their therapy. That's really what Hal was doing, he was being pushed towards letting go of his resentment and anguish and moving forward. He just ran out of power at the moment of emotional catharsis and then the Guardians were like "Dude the gently caress are you doing with your ring, report to Oa now."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hal Jordan was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

John Stewart SHOULD keep leading the Corps.

Without a single exaggeration, he was doing an amazing job in comparison to the Guardians.