Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, actually, it is, in that citizenship represents loyalty to the country

i got a great laugh at this, thank you for maintaining starry-eyed naivete so late in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, actually, it is, in that citizenship represents loyalty to the country.

as a citizen of three different countries (soon to be 4) i can assure you this isn't true

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I support extending the vote to permanent residents or lowering the voting age if it can be shown it will increase support for the parties I vote for, if not it's a bad move.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 25, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

THC posted:

is there anything more pathetic than people trying to valourize Canadian citizenship who received it at birth

Who do you think you're talking about?

the talent deficit posted:

as a citizen of three different countries (soon to be 4) i can assure you this isn't true

As someone who can probably get four different passports if I try, I can assure you that you're not an authority on this.

Baronjutter posted:

I support extending the vote to permanent residents or lowering the voting age if it can be shown it will increase support for the parties I vote for, if not it's a bad move.

Yeah, that's the beginning and end of what's going on, at least in this thread.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 20, 2018

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Should a woman plan her life around a guy that wants to hang out with her but can’t commit to marriage? Sounds like wanting your cake and eating it too.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on PR's voting in municipal elections, this is a really....weird thing to bring up in the discussion.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Yeah, that's the beginning and end of what's going on, at least in this thread.

PhilippAchtel posted:

You don't (or shouldn't) get to disenfranchise an entire class of persons because you disagree with their politics.

If the objection is that some of these persons aren't really residents, then craft your voting laws to protect against that, but someone like the aforementioned forty-year resident should not have to sacrifice their say simply because some other resident might prefer policies that favour real estate speculation.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

You're a citizenship ho-bag.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The Supreme Court has been mulling over a case centring on buying alcohol for personal use and transporting it across provincial boundaries. It has the potential for loosening some of the crazy inter-province trade barriers.

So of course those fuckers struck it down! :argh:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scoc-decision-liquor-provinces-1.4625861

While upholding the status quo may not seem surprising, a lot of people thought this one stood a chance of winning.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Something something starship troopers citizenship

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grumio posted:

The Supreme Court has been mulling over a case centring on buying alcohol for personal use and transporting it across provincial boundaries. It has the potential for loosening some of the crazy inter-province trade barriers.

While upholding the status quo may not seem surprising, a lot of people thought this one stood a chance of winning.

Alcohol aside, if as reported this ruling gives BC an upper hand over Alberta on the pipeline dispute oh god who knows where this is going to escalate from here. :allears:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...bc-experts.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

less than three posted:

Alcohol aside, if as reported this ruling gives BC an upper hand over Alberta on the pipeline dispute oh god who knows where this is going to escalate from here. :allears:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...bc-experts.html

Hahahah that was my first thought

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:lol: is the OPC talking point seriously just to ask if anyone had a realistic plan for Hydro One and then change the subject?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grumio posted:

When you intersect being cheap and beer apparently a lot of Canadians become constitutional experts. This one never had a chance of winning.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/ericadams99/status/986969037128138754?s=19

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

How often does the scenario come up that someone lives close enough to a liquor store in another province, where liquor is cheaper to make it worth it to actually go on bulk beer runs across borders?

Wouldn’t it be more worth that persons time to just get a group together and petition their province to change the law? Alberta and Manitoba have no limits on the amount of alcohol you can bring back from other provinces.

Secondly what the hell did that guy do to get pulled over by the RCMP in New Brunswick or does the RCMP do random checks of drivers for mass quantities of out of province liquor?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why not, it's not like they have anything better to do. :shrug:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Wait, so going across the border to Ontario to buy a couple of bottles of rum that I can't find in Quebec is against the law?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Literally everyone in Ottawa buys beer in Quebec. There's no savings on wine or spirits, but you can buy 24s of "premium imports" like Stella or Heineken for 25 bucks at the Gatineau Costco. Same case at the beer store will run you $60.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Free trade for everybody!(except for the poor those working hard to join the middle class) :canada:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Wait, so going across the border to Ontario to buy a couple of bottles of rum that I can't find in Quebec is against the law?

This is the limits for various provinces

quote:

Ontario
Up to three litres of spirits;
Up to nine litres of wine; and
24.6 litres of beer.

Quebec
24.6 litres of beer.

British Columbia
25.6 litres of beer.

Yukon
24.55 litres of beer.

Prince Edward Island
24.6 litres of beer.

Nova Scotia
24 litres of beer.

Saskatchewan
24 litres of beer.

New Brunswick
Up to one bottle of spirits;
Up to one bottle of wine; and
12 pints of beer.

Newfoundland and Labrador
Up to 40 ounces or 1.14 litres of spirits;
Up to 40 ounces or 1.14 litres of wine; and
Two dozen bottles or cans or nine litres of beer.

Northwest Territories
Up to 1.14 litres of spirits;
Up to 1.5 litres of wine; and
Up to 8.52 litres of beer.

Nunavut
Up to 1.14 litres of spirits;
Up to 1.14 litres of wine; or
Up to 12 x 355 ml cans of beer.

Alberta
No limits imposed.

Manitoba
No limits imposed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Free trade between countries that use slave labour, protectionism between provinces

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is not allowing BC wineries to sell directly to customers across the country not a restriction on trade?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Powershift posted:

Is not allowing BC wineries to sell directly to customers across the country not a restriction on trade?

It is, but NB is claiming that the primary purpose is to manage the supply of liquor in the province, therefore meeting the requirement of not being primarily intended to restrict interprovincial trade. It's a low bar to clear, but it's still there.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

DariusLikewise posted:

This is the limits for various provinces

Oh great, thank you!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/article-hsbc-to-stop-funding-most-new-fossil-fuel-developments/
HSBC commits to stop funding coal plants, the tar sands and keystone pipeline. Time for Justin to step in and make up for the funding with even more tax dollars!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pipelines aren't as profitable as laundering drug money, i guess.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

DariusLikewise posted:

How often does the scenario come up that someone lives close enough to a liquor store in another province, where liquor is cheaper to make it worth it to actually go on bulk beer runs across borders?

Wouldn’t it be more worth that persons time to just get a group together and petition their province to change the law? Alberta and Manitoba have no limits on the amount of alcohol you can bring back from other provinces.

Secondly what the hell did that guy do to get pulled over by the RCMP in New Brunswick or does the RCMP do random checks of drivers for mass quantities of out of province liquor?

I used to work in a high end liquor store in Alberta and one of our best customers was a guy who lived in Vancouver but came into Calgary for business a few times a year anf always left with like six cases of wine. It wasn't that uncommon. BC liquor stores suck.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
In an email with the subject "Sex, Drugs and Justin Trudeau"

quote:

Dear Postess,

The Trudeau Liberals are holding their national policy convention in Halifax this weekend.

They have gathered to discuss the next phase of their radical left-wing agenda to transform Canada into a country you wouldn’t recognize.

Top of their agenda is a call to decriminalize dangerous drugs, like cocaine and heroin.

Earlier today, the Liberal Minister of Justice said she was open to the idea of making cocaine and heroin more available, as soon as she is done legalizing marijuana.

Not satisfied with replacing organized crime for organized Liberals in the marijuana market, the Liberals are also pushing to take over the sex trade.

They have a policy proposal to decriminalize the purchase of sex.

When our Conservative Government re-balanced prostitution laws, we removed penalties placed on victims of the sex trade, while increasing penalties for the people purchasing sex.

Now the Liberals want to lift all those penalties, and it seems, like the push for hard drugs, Canada’s Justice Minister (and Attorney General) is supporting this radical push for legal prostitution.

When the person in charge of enforcing Canada’s laws is busy watering down those laws, you know things have gone off the rails.

It is time to start calling out this radical not so hidden agenda for what it is – dangerous.

They want us to turn back to a time when it was okay to purchase a woman. They want us to turn back to a time when cocaine was sold in soft drinks and opium was available in a brothel.

Help us fight Trudeau’s dangerous agenda.

Make a donation at https://www.rnp-conservative.ca/sex-drugs-and-justin-trudeau and let Trudeau know we won’t let him take us backwards.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Gallant

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wish.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

[The Trudeau Liberals] have gathered to discuss the next phase of their radical left-wing agenda

:laffo:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Look anything that doesn't involve the live sacrifice of aboriginals to Lord Crossharbour is hopelessly radically left-wing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aside from the human chattel part she makes it sound fun.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I need to get on that mailing list.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Forum, but :lol:

quote:

The Ontario PCs would win a strong majority if a provincial election was held today, and the NDP would form the Official Opposition, a new poll suggests.

Forum Research found that 46 per cent of decided or leaning voters said on April 18 that they would support the Ontario PCs if a vote were held today, compared to 27 per cent for the NDP and 21 per cent for the Liberals.

The PCs strength has been trending in their polls for several years. But the NDP have now come second in six of the firm’s last 11 polls, dating back to June 12-14, 2017.

“The bump in support following the Liberal budget is gone,” Forum Research President Lorne Bozinoff said in a news release. “The (PCs) are back where we’ve seen them for the past year, and Doug Ford looks on track to be Premier in a few months.”

Two days before the poll was conducted, the Ontario NDP released its party platform, calling for universal pharmacare and dental care, higher corporate taxes and the re-purchase of Hydro One to make it public.

Four per cent of respondents said they would vote Green while two per cent expressed support for another party.

Translated into seats, Forum said the PCs would win 94 of 122 available seats, putting them into what Bozinoff calls “super-majority” territory.

Their support is strongest in southwestern Ontario, eastern Ontario and the 905 area.

The NDP would win 23 seats, while the Liberals would win only seven seats, not enough for them to maintain official party status and the privileges it provides at the legislature.

When asked who they thought would win, irrespective of their personal choice, 54 per cent of respondents said they thought the PCs would win, while 19 per cent said the Liberals and 10 per cent said the NDP.

Forum puts Liberal leader Wynne’s approval rating at 18 per cent, PC leader Doug Ford at 37 per cent and Horwath at 37 per cent as well.

Nearly three-quarters of respondents said they disapprove of Wynne’s leadership, while 40 per cent disapprove of Ford and 32 per cent disapprove of Horwath, meaning she is the only one of the three to have a net-favourable view among respondents.

The poll was conducted using interactive voice response technology and reached 1,126 Ontario voters. The data was weighted to reflect the overall demographics of Ontario.

It is considered accurate plus or minus three per cent, 19 times out of 20.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/new-poll-puts-ontario-pcs-in-super-majority-territory-ndp-as-opposition-1.3894475

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/987448102981283841?s=20

I love this election so much

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQk4lGSEJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

"Earlier today, I called noted fat sack of crap Doug Ford 'a bit of a dick.' For that, I wish to truly apologize to the dumb idiot."

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/987456635692924928