Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

And since I just unlocked slayer, a good alternate melee weapon besides the dual axes is, what, something good for more crowd control since the axes are armor-piercing can-openers? So either of the hammers, or the two-handed axe?

2h hammer is the natural complement yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I run dual axes and 2h hammer

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

dual hammers, baby

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It still amazes me how quickly things can go wrong in this game. We were doing Into the Nest no problem last night, everyone is playing fairly competently. We dropped into the Forge and I run up the side steps, along with the witch hunter, to go for the tome in the mine cart.

Within the space of about eight seconds, the following happens.

1. Boss music starts playing, and a rat ogre runs at us from directly ahead.
2. A mini-horde spawns in behind us, which I quickly slash down while the Bounty Hunter starts plinking away at the rat ogre.
3. By the time I turn around from killing the horde wave, I hear the "somebody just got grabbed" sound effect.
4. The elf and the mage, who were lagging behind by maybe.... 20-30 feet, have been gassed into Downed by a globadier and hooked by a packmaster, respectively, just around the corner and down the steps.
5. I run down the steps to try for a rescue and arrive just in time to see both die - turns out they also somehow drew some stormvermin, which made pretty drat quick work of them while they were helpless.
6. As I kill off a couple of the stormvermin - they were on me by that point, it was kill them or turn my back to them - the witch hunter gets downed by the rat ogre.

Yeah, I didn't last too long after that. It was just jaw-dropping how quickly that whole situation blew up in our faces; the team was doing absolutely fine, no problems at all, right up until that exact second.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

It was clearly too much to expect good taste from Lardfish.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Digirat posted:

2h hammer is the natural complement yeah

I really like the 1H Hammer though with good stamina and nice CC that it seems a better choice than 2H. Isn’t really that a better complement?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

chesnok posted:

It was clearly too much to expect good taste from Lardfish.

Elf sympathizer spotted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s not bad but the 2h hammer has better CC, which is the main thing the double axes lack.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh gently caress. I decided to join the rest of the modem world and install Windows 10 and now when I run Ratwave 2 it randomly freezes and locks up my entire computer forcing me to power it off and back on.

It does it every time but sometimes it's right away, others it's before a mission starts, other times it's right before the reward screens.

What the poo poo. I just wanna stomp micemen and rotmen, FatShark.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Ravenfood posted:

And since I just unlocked slayer, a good alternate melee weapon besides the dual axes is, what, something good for more crowd control since the axes are armor-piercing can-openers? So either of the hammers, or the two-handed axe?

triple axe loadout pro loadout

not sure how it fares at legend but I've been getting some good work done with 2h axe at champ on both IB and slayer

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
my slayer's so strong he hields 4 axes, he has three that he juggles at all times and one that he keeps in his teeth that way he's always chopping something

and his feet his feet turn into axes when when he's really angry because he was bitten by a werewolf that was made out of axes

and he wears a trenchcoat. his name is grim elder beard knight

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow the warhammer canon just went up a few grades in reading level

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

When is that patch hitting?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there a way to trash deeds? I have a bunch where the reward is a chest who’s max level gear is now like 300 HP under my current stuff

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there a way to trash deeds? I have a bunch where the reward is a chest who’s max level gear is now like 300 HP under my current stuff

So... Recruit deeds? Because all Vet+ rewards the max HP you're eligible for

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Lunethex posted:

my slayer's so strong he hields 4 axes, he has three that he juggles at all times and one that he keeps in his teeth that way he's always chopping something

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bloody typical that I end up getting my groove with the 2H hammers back in the same series of really lovely games that ended poorly (1. typical idiot loving elf host in Decay, 2. plain bad Sienna getting herself killed right before Skarrik, 3. Troll, Chaos patrol, and Chaos horde at the same time in first Chaos camp in Nurgle cave map). Also learned that players don't even respawn before Skarrik, which is really bad on top of the no heals and ammo before him.

Might've been the idiot loving elf lagging like a motherfucker too, but the 1H mace/hammer felt like they just don't really compare to the 2H hammers because they can't quite kill (and stagger) at the same rate as good 2H hammer play. Maybe it's because the Slayer can just stack so many attack speed bonuses compared to everyone else, though.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 20, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
When's this new patch dropping?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, so you're in the secret beta with the Chaos Dwarf class.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
For Legend Slayer players, I assume I want to take Boon of Shayalla, much like Zealot, right? And is Resourceful Warrior ever worth taking over just Swift Slaying?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The deed that replaces roaming enemies with elites is silly.

This is on Vet, I'm sure it would have been almost impossible on Champion.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Xaris posted:

For Legend Slayer players, I assume I want to take Boon of Shayalla, much like Zealot, right? And is Resourceful Warrior ever worth taking over just Swift Slaying?

I'd use resourceful with actives you wanna be using all the time. Huntsman and Shade come to mind. WHC has some synergy as well, since his active makes him proc resourceful more and get his active back up faster

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

well, you get almost 100% uptime on leap during hordes without resourceful warrior, so I don't think you really need it. Swift slaying is probly better.

boon of shallaya is needed only if you use Stoutfellow + 20% HP on necklace. I did some testing around and ended up using See it Coming with Healer's Touch. If you take Oblivious to Pain you should be fine without Stoutfellow anyway

Digirat posted:

It’s not bad but the 2h hammer has better CC, which is the main thing the double axes lack.

2H hammer cant dodge, block or shove good enough though. I find 1h hammer to be better for slayer in every way, since it has all the CC, plus lots of stamina and decent dodge range

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Martout posted:

not sure how it fares at legend but I've been getting some good work done with 2h axe at champ on both IB and slayer

Tried it very recently on a whim, and it went swimmingly. I actually prefer the heavy cleaves outright killing things to the hammer knocking them down/away in a lot of situations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

well, you get almost 100% uptime on leap during hordes without resourceful warrior, so I don't think you really need it. Swift slaying is probly better.

boon of shallaya is needed only if you use Stoutfellow + 20% HP on necklace. I did some testing around and ended up using See it Coming with Healer's Touch. If you take Oblivious to Pain you should be fine without Stoutfellow anyway

2H hammer cant dodge, block or shove good enough though. I find 1h hammer to be better for slayer in every way, since it has all the CC, plus lots of stamina and decent dodge range

The 1h hammer is not as good at CC as the 2h hammer and the 2h hammer does not need to block or dodge much anyway, and in situations where its weaknesses show you have double axes

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

When's this new patch dropping?

Soon (TM)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

I tried both for a few matches. I think I prefer the 2H hammer even though the 1h hammer feels better/easier. If you just back-dodge and charge up your swings you'll keep a lot more rats on the ground than you would with the 1H hammer, but you need a bit more room. I'm currently using the "dodge further" talent so that might also be the difference.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Slayer secondary chat comes up every few pages and I unironically enjoy it every time. Here's my hot takes.

1h hammer: Not a bad pick! Lots of stamina if you find yourself in a bad place and needing to block/push/revive an ally. Light attacks have a lot of cleave, it's not the most killy weapon you'll find but when rats are always on their rear end it's hard to get hit. Plus, the dodge distance on 1h weapons is pretty good. 1h hammer has a lot of stamina and a fair dodge distance, it's a good pick. Potential downsides, it's only really good for CC. You can charge attack vs armor and shields but you've got dual axes for that?

2h hammer: My personal favorite for a few reasons, especially on Slayer. The light attack will smash shields and armor, and with the Slayer's faster attack speed you can do some serious work. I'm convinced that a Slayer with a 2h hammer is the ultimate anti stormvermin patrol weapon. Plus, the 2h hammer has heft and stagger that the dual axes do not quite have on all enemies. It's been a while since I played Slayer but I still prefer it. Downsides of 2h hammer, your CC method is a charge attack. It's amazing at what it does, and it will wreck crowds once you find the rhythm. But if you get stunned out of your charge, you will take a few hits before you can wind up to re-establish your position. Plus, folks will point out that if you need anti-armor you've already got the dual axes? It's a fair argument but I find myself in spots where the dual axes are the right choice, and spots where 2h hammer is the right choice.

I unfortunately don't have enough experience with the new balance 2h axe or the pickaxe to have a hot take for those.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Digirat posted:

The 1h hammer is not as good at CC as the 2h hammer and the 2h hammer does not need to block or dodge much anyway, and in situations where its weaknesses show you have double axes

I always get hit when I use 2h hammer on account of it being so slow. Also I can never resurrect allies. Furthermore, in the not so rare occasion when a beefy enemy will blend in with a horde and stop your sweep animation mid-swing, you will get hit 3-4 times and die.

e:

dscruffy1 posted:

But if you get stunned out of your charge, you will take a few hits before you can wind up to re-establish your position.
Basically this. I find that using 2h hammer I always get hit at least once during every horde, and whenever I need to raise it and block in order to dodge back and regroup, I get hosed due to low stamina and low dodge. Getting hit is bad news :O

Ravenfood posted:

I tried both for a few matches. I think I prefer the 2H hammer even though the 1h hammer feels better/easier. If you just back-dodge and charge up your swings you'll keep a lot more rats on the ground than you would with the 1H hammer, but you need a bit more room. I'm currently using the "dodge further" talent so that might also be the difference.

The thing is, the dodge further talent applies to the base dodge range of each weapon, so you need to use weapons with decent dodge for it to shine. I tried it with 2h hammer and the difference was barely noticeable

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 21, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

If you try the 25% speed boost on leap, you can dance at the front of a horde no problem with the bigger, shorter dodge weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

If you try the 25% speed boost on leap, you can dance at the front of a horde no problem with the bigger, shorter dodge weapons.

with the attack speed bonus you don't need to dodge in front of a horde

you swing so fast the horde has to dodge YOU.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

best thing to do with these imo is to run them anyway. You'll get two boxes for relatively low effort.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Arghy posted:

The endless hordes are basically horde+ambush then you take too long to kill the horde so the next horde comes. Hordes are on timers they're job is to keep you pushing forward and not sitting behind, they're announced with horns and bells. Ambushes are the AI directors way of checking your progress if they feel you're going too fast, its basically a 360 degree horde so harder to deal with.

Hordes get announced with lots of preamble, music queue, and they come generally from 1 direction at once from a distance. Ambushes have an audio queue that lasts ~5 seconds and is very subtle, for slave rats you'll hear digging and rats chittering to each other so if you're paying attention you'll know its coming. The chaos one is different or just not working atm because i've never heard it yet.

There is no rule that i know of that prevents the AI director from using an ambush during a regularly scheduled horde or spawning a patrol/boss/specials. It's entirely possible to survive a combo but it's loving hard even with good players and a good measuring device for the quality of players you have is gas rat spawns. A gas rat will throw within the first second it spawns regardless of location, a good player will hear the call out and know to move because the globe is likely airborne so don't be standing where it was aimed to land. Bad players will stand still thinking that oh maybe this time unlike every single time the gas rat will be nice and give you time to see it before it throws. A leech/blight call out should prompt everyone to swiveling their heads covering each other's backs--when your ranged DPS class is busy shooting the horde when there's a special queue then you know that you're likely going to wipe.

I did halescourge on legend with 3 random players i met in QP it was loving amazing watching every player deal with the adds individually during the final battle. Every class is able to defend themselves and deal with enemies by themselves it makes me so salty seeing a sienna or elf getting beat on cause they refuse to kill the 3 trash mobs attacking them.

This explains so much. When I get in groups that methodically goes through the level, getting all the items and checking all the chests, everything seems to go smoothly.

When I get in a team that tries to blaze through the map, suddenly we get trashed by ambushes/specials/patrols such that we encounter way more resistance than a group that keeps a slow, steady pace.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do I get good with kruber halberd? I am trying to like it but I'm not great with it. I think the problem is I tend to use fast attacking weapons and the halberd isn't doing it for me.

I don't have Foot Knight unlocked yet, so maybe this has something to do with it?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do I get good with kruber halberd? I am trying to like it but I'm not great with it. I think the problem is I tend to use fast attacking weapons and the halberd isn't doing it for me.

I don't have Foot Knight unlocked yet, so maybe this has something to do with it?

The Halberd is a strong weapon, but not in an obvious way. The strength of the halberd lies in how you can use blocks and pushblocks (AKA ripostes) to manipulate its combo chains for maximum potential. There are two basic interactions you should know.

The first is fairly simple. The first light swing on the halberd is a sweeping strike that has good armor penetration and cleave. This is the ideal attack for cleaning up hordes, while the two follow-up light attacks are only useful for single targets. As such, the pattern is light swing-block to reset your combo-light swing-block-light swing etc etc until the pack in front of you is dead. This reset is nice because light attack 2 is a poke with zero armor pen and light attack 3 is a chopping overhead that chunks armored foes but is mediocre at horde killing.

The second combo is probably the more important of the two. The halberd has a pushblock attack that mirrors the third light attack, which is the chopping overhead. On top of that, doing a light attack follow up to the push attack skips right to your third light attack, which is ALSO an overhead with high armor piercing. In practice, the combo here is light attack-pushblock attack-light attack. This is an armor piercing sweep followed by two overheads. This will rapidly deal with storm vermin and chaos warriors.

In short, all this manipulation is designed to skip the 2nd light attack which is a terrible thrust with zero armor penetration. I'd only spam light attacks with abandon if you're funneling the horde or just cleaning up a few spare trash rats.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

leveling the elf first and dealing with Sienna: bit annoying, not too bad.
levelling sienna and dealing with the elf: hm not how i'd play it
levelling anyone else and dealing with the elf + sienna: i finally understand all the complaining

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Slayer is so goddamn fun once you get the hang of it, hands down my favorite class. I really can't go back to the 2h hammer after the warpick, the pick has way more stagger and with 10% attack speed(charm+weapon) you can just cleave through hordes. The true strength is the hammer has the charge up which can lag resulting in you doing nothing or a light attack where the pick always does the swipe on light attacks and the pick can stagger SV forever. Dual axes are infinitely better against armored targets/bosses because you're doing almost the same damage far faster with push attacks mixed in so you want your secondary weapon to be purely for control.

It's also hilarious when you're better on special overwatch than your team because they become aware of the leech at the same time they hear a slayer screaming and flying towards it hahaha. I did an entire game with bond never getting healed once even though i got close to death a few times, once a horde spawned i waded in with dual axes building up my temp health which kept me topped off the entire time. 10% attack speed+slayer passive attack speed+swift slaying is an amazing thing to witness with dual axes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nothing is more satisfying than flying through the air and decapitating a special midair while muttering "an ooold ranger trick"

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Nothing is more satisfying than flying through the air and decapitating a special midair while muttering "an ooold ranger trick"

Gone, but not forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Battle brew bardin is so good

one bomb killed the whole patrol and left their mangled corpses hanging as a warning