Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's 2018 Grandpa we eat rear end now

I'm probably younger than most people in this topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah he’s like 22, he’s just a reetreet

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I also don't quite get what you mean about the last part, an 18 year old having their first serious breakup is probably having their first breakup, hence not knowing how it works since it's new to them.

"Someone else is taking her to a party. I don't understand?"

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have never heard of any argument over a last name that wasn't directly the result of vanity and/or insecurity.

Blade Runner posted:

I realize that this is just because I'm pretty garbage as a person and it shouldn't matter, but I would have to seriously quell the urge to laugh at a dude who took his wife's last name, and I feel like a pretty large majority of people would too

I'm proposing soon and my girlfriend is surely going to be taking my last name (she's traditional in that sense). However, I definitely wouldn't care if she wanted to keep hers and I probably wouldn't even care if she wanted me to take hers.... though to be fair I haven't really considered it as an option until now.

It's just not something that concerns me whatsoever. I'm a secure individual who is able to differentiate between my value, and the string of meaningless letters that comprise the second part of my name. I don't think I'm alone in this.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Blade Runner posted:

I realize that this is just because I'm pretty garbage as a person and it shouldn't matter, but I would have to seriously quell the urge to laugh at a dude who took his wife's last name, and I feel like a pretty large majority of people would too

I have no real plans to get married any time soon, but just to avoid work becoming a non-stop 24/7 dunkfest upon me, I'd pretty much have to have a wife who took my name or I just wouldn't get married

oh no you won't get married, what a threat to all those women, you're such a keeper lol

a dude who takes his wife's last name despite social pressure to Be The Man is actually brave, and laughing at him makes you the insecure coward

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

Yeah he’s like 22, he’s just a reetreet

I am young, and pretty, and stupid

Taima posted:

I have never heard of any argument over a last name that wasn't directly the result of vanity and/or insecurity.

I'm proposing soon and my girlfriend is surely going to be taking my last name (she's traditional in that sense). However, I definitely wouldn't care if she wanted to keep hers and I probably wouldn't even care if she wanted me to take hers.... though to be fair I haven't really considered it as an option until now.

It's just not something that concerns me whatsoever. I'm a secure individual who is able to differentiate between my value, and the string of meaningless letters that comprise the second part of my name. I don't think I'm alone in this.

Okay, you're a cool dude and that is cool, but I sorta feel like anyone who is gonna say that a dude isn't gonna get judged or at least sort of made fun of in most places if they take their wife's name is being kinda obtuse

It's fine if you want to do it, but come on

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Who gives a poo poo about last names in marriage these days?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You’re 22. Tons of poo poo you and your friends think matter, won’t, once everyone is 30 and tired

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
oh no watch out being made fun of

that's what you let dictate your life actions, right? not what makes you happy but what people might think of you?

sounds super healthy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Again, he reetreet

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

oh no you won't get married, what a threat to all those women, you're such a keeper lol

a dude who takes his wife's last name despite social pressure to Be The Man is actually brave, and laughing at him makes you the insecure coward

I guess you could call yourself brave for opening yourself up by doing something that a lot of people are going to dunk on you all the time in a lot of aspects of your life for doing

The entire world isn't the San Francisco Bay Area or Portland and there are a lot of people who will actually laugh at someone for taking their wife's maiden name as their last, and I don't really blame a dude for not feeling like dealing with constantly being seen as a joke by everyone

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blade Runner posted:

I guess you could call yourself brave for opening yourself up by doing something that a lot of people are going to dunk on you all the time in a lot of aspects of your life for doing

The entire world isn't the San Francisco Bay Area or Portland and there are a lot of people who will actually laugh at someone for taking their wife's middle name, and I don't really blame a dude for not feeling like dealing with constantly being seen as a joke by everyone

I live in Alabama and have never heard of anyone giving a gently caress out loud, or at least not anyone who wasn't some dumb pigfucking yokel.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

I live in Alabama and have never heard of anyone giving a gently caress out loud, or at least not anyone who wasn't some dumb pigfucking yokel.

I live in NYC and know plenty of people who will and have made fun of people for it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Milotic posted:

Run, run and never stop running:

My (22F) future "mother-in-law"(50sF) is asking way too much from me

Hey, you know what you need? A grave. Also a life insurance policy. And maybe if you could put all your valuables in this box. Awesome. Have you ever thought about skydiving?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I will take my bf's name in a heartbeat but that's just because my last name is ethnic and I want to hide my ethnicity behind his extremely white name. If I was a man marrying a white woman, I would do the same thing gladly. Anyone who responds along the lines of "what the gently caress, are you a self-racist or something", try applying for jobs as a person of color in the South. :( My mom took my dad's last name and deals with bullshit too. She regularly told me stories of "passing" as white due to being a light-skinned black woman with a white sounding last name and that psuedo-privelege evaporated and went in reverse when she married my dad.

The person with the less convenient name (too long, sounds like a dirty word, ethnic in a racist area) should take the name of their SO regardless of gender.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
there's a school of thought that many of our current social problems come from the fact that men tend to fall in line to impress each other rather than stand up for their own values, and then subsume their own desires and needs and get hella frustrated and violent and such

here are some dudes talking about it, near the end Michael Kimmel talks about specifically how many men have reported a common experience of going against their own integrity to impress other men and the stresses that brings on

https://www.wnyc.org/story/when-masculinity-gets-diverted-political-extremism/

Blade Runner posted:

I live in NYC and know plenty of people who will and have made fun of people for it.

oh nyc. well no wonder. i just moved away from there after 15 years, the city is full of unhappy shitheads whose only joy is dunking on others, and desperate status-hounds. don't listen to them.

that's a good strategy for most New Yorkers, there's so loving many of them there's no way they are all intelligent or even sound of mind

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 20, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Moridin920 posted:

Why would you not?

Jail

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow it’s like men are dumb as hell

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah no one in AZ or WA gives a gently caress about anyone's last name.

How the hell is that kid going to finish college if he can't understand what a breakup is? At his age that's "needs a keeper so he won't fall off the porch when he slips in a puddle of his own piss" or "still has someone feed him by hand" dumb. I hope his parents don't have high hopes for him and I'm amazed they're even comfortable with him moving away from home. Ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s like they care about things because they’re all loving gay for validation, up to marrying a hotter woman just to impress other guys even though she’s a hateful bitch instead of a kindly normal-looking lady lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

And the registry

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I, as the child in my 20s, will take the naive stance of "What your peers in both social and work groups think of you is actually relatively important to your development socially and in your career field, and while taking noble stands is admirable and good morally it may not necessarily viable on a realistic level."

I feel like there's a difference between doing something that overtly violates your integrity as a person and not desiring to open yourself up to lampooning by your peers, and I don't feel that being unwilling to take your wife's last name is something so important that I or most people would bother risking the judgement involved if they lived in an area or worked with a peer group that would think less of them for it.

oh nyc. well no wonder. i just moved away from there after 15 years, the city is full of unhappy shitheads whose only joy is dunking on others, and desperate status-hounds. don't listen to them.

that's a good strategy for most New Yorkers, there's so loving many of them there's no way they are all intelligent or even sound of mind

I have lived in NYC my entire life and I work in the venn diagram center of police, finance, and computer boy, so

This also explains many things about me if you were wondering

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 20, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Look at this tard lmao

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Scathach posted:

How the hell is that kid going to finish college if he can't understand what a breakup is? At his age that's "needs a keeper so he won't fall off the porch when he slips in a puddle of his own piss" or "still has someone feed him by hand" dumb. I hope his parents don't have high hopes for him and I'm amazed they're even comfortable with him moving away from home. Ever.

At his age he's still basically a high school kid. People are idiots about relationships in high school as a given, though sometimes that idiocy goes through into college. You're young and naive and stupid and hormonal and every relationship feels super powerful, and you're sure it's ~true love~ that will last forever.

Now if he makes stupid decisions like that AFTER college age, then he can be written off as a lost cause.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Blade Runner posted:

I, as the child in my 20s, will take the naive stance of "What your peers in both social and work groups think of you is actually relatively important to your development socially and in your career field, and while taking noble stands is admirable and good morally it may not necessarily viable on a realistic level."

you are way too young to already be giving up on doing any social development or work whatsoever, but i can't say that i'm surprised :/ just float along, scaredy-cat

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

You’re 22. Tons of poo poo you and your friends think matter, won’t, once everyone is 30 and tired

Also the other way around

Pick posted:

It’s like they care about things because they’re all loving gay for validation, up to marrying a hotter woman just to impress other guys even though she’s a hateful bitch instead of a kindly normal-looking lady lol

Those loving Chads!!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Scathach posted:

He knows what a breakup is, he's in denial and thinks they're just on a break and getting back together and confused as to why she's moving on when they're just on a break and since the reason for a break up is now moot he's confused why they're not back together.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No a self-assured guy just marries the woman he likes. It’s a huge bitch move to let other people mandate your attempts at status and reveals what a pud you really are

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

Look at this tard lmao

Please give me advice on how to improve my relationships with others, you literal crazy cat lady

you are way too young to already be giving up on doing any social development or work whatsoever, but i can't say that i'm surprised :/ just float along, scaredy-cat

I used to be real into hardcore punk stuff as an even younger idiot child, but then the only real viable option I had turned out to be joining the military and that got beat outta me

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ ok? i don't know if you want an award for being willing to live your life impressing your military buddies. you're already taking what is socially the easiest road and joining into easy masculine bonding by mocking other men's choices, it's fine if you wanna be that way but a least admit it reflects more on you than others

re: breakup dude, he is confused as well because he's not used to the idea that two people can really like each other but break up for other reasons

so in his mind they click so well and were getting along just last week, what happened????

he's naive and it hasn't quite settled in that he went in too heavy too fast and mistakenly broke it

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

No a self-assured guy just marries the woman he likes. It’s a huge bitch move to let other people mandate your attempts at status and reveals what a pud you really are

I would marry the woman I like but would also not take her last name, hth

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i think the cooler thing is making a new name a new family etc. not portmanteau or hypenating or whatever

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

There is no bigger indicator of a nightmare relationship than a man with antiquated views on gender roles/status. It's like bright colors on a poison dart frog, a neon siren screaming "I WILL SUCK"

Well ok, maybe that's second place to "I just got out of rehab"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

extra row of teeth posted:

There is no bigger indicator of a nightmare relationship than a man with antiquated views on gender roles/status. It's like bright colors on a poison dart frog, a neon siren screaming "I WILL SUCK"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait what was your former username, extra row?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Blade runner is gonna get so fat once he hits 26 lol he’s just the type

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Surely you're forgetting 'I'm polyamorous'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Antiquated poly rehab? You can just say “Mormon”

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Pick posted:

Wait what was your former username, extra row?

Cuckoo. I changed it because the cuck meme became a thing and I caught endless poo poo for it despite being named after the bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sorry but I was raised on the values of the Third Intermediate Period and that's just how it's gotta be

Pick posted:

Blade runner is gonna get so fat once he hits 26 lol he’s just the type

I donno, I work out a lot now and have no real plans to stop

I was gonna make a joke about anorexia here but it seemed kinda mean