Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Nowadays the best gatekeeping on chili is to argue over what kinds of cheese and beef (and or beans as needed) to use in it.

I'm (very slowly) working up an effortpost on food labeling and how Panera's screwing everything up for everyone that I'm going to post in the pseudoscience thread. Should I link it here?

Sounds cool. Where's the psuedoscience thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't make the call on supermarket product placement but, someone def made the call to make you pick between Panera and the new Oprah soup line...

They are both really good and let's not have a soup war.

Hell, Campbells does a good one but people freak out because it's not cold or some poo poo?

Well, who cares it's about to be Summer.

Burgers. Hotdogs. Tater tots.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

I don't make the call on supermarket product placement but, someone def made the call to make you pick between Panera and the new Oprah soup line...

They are both really good and let's not have a soup war.

Hell, Campbells does a good one but people freak out because it's not cold or some poo poo?

Well, who cares it's about to be Summer.

Burgers. Hotdogs. Tater tots.

What drugs are you on right this minute?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What drugs are you on right this minute?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(can't we all just make chili how we want to???) HEARD

I definitely have Strong Opinions on food, I've been cooking for myself and others since Thundarr the Barbarian was on my 13" black and white tv Saturday mornings while I was making pancakes for the family before they woke up. But I've never begrudged anyone on what they want to eat.

the problem is, that's like me saying nuoc cham is just like, you know, nouc cham! everyone knows what nouc cham is. :)

except not everyone knows what nouc cham is, so you have to have a starting point for a recipe for nouc cham, which is roughly a lime zested and juiced, 1/4th a cup of fish sauce, a tablespoon or so of sugar, 2 cloves of garlic minced, and a few thai chili's chopped up.

but if nouc cham was as contested as chili, you'd be like "yeah I put sesame oil in my nouc cham, and that's what everyone understands nouc cham to be!!!" and that's just retarded because no one who makes a traditional nouc cham puts sesame oil in their poo poo.

there's a clear thing that is "chili" and that is meat, chili powder, and probably salt pepper and liquid of some type - beer or beef stock or something.

it's cool if you want to say 'hey I have a take on nouc cham with sesame oil', or chickpeas or beans or whatever, but you still just have a take on nouc cham or chili.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Enough chili chat.

As of present, Scientastic has the right to define 'proper' chili. If you disagree, well, it's someone else's turn to back the next Chili ICSA. :v:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
4mil in banquet food sales so far this month, and everyone got hefty raises now that Fairmont is paying for labor and not the owners/property investors. I've got a very happy team at the moment, and now that staffing is good, they're all getting 2 days off. Feels good man.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

poop dood posted:

Sounds cool. Where's the psuedoscience thread?

thisaway.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mindphlux posted:

the problem is, that's like me saying nuoc cham is just like, you know, nouc cham! everyone knows what nouc cham is. :)

Yeah this is part of it. People will just call whatever bolognese they made chili and it's disgusting.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 20, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

4mil in banquet food sales so far this month, and everyone got hefty raises now that Fairmont is paying for labor and not the owners/property investors. I've got a very happy team at the moment, and now that staffing is good, they're all getting 2 days off. Feels good man.

It's amazing what can happen when you pay the staff!

I've been trying to tell my management this for years now to no avail.....

They wonder why people quit after 1-3 shifts. Because, people are not going to bust their rear end for $8.50 an hour...

Somehow this doesn't make sense and everyone is just lazy. So let's train and hire the next guy....

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's amazing what can happen when you pay the staff!

I've been trying to tell my management this for years now to no avail.....

They wonder why people quit after 1-3 shifts. Because, people are not going to bust their rear end for $8.50 an hour...

Somehow this doesn't make sense and everyone is just lazy. So let's train and hire the next guy....

I bust my rear end for 9 an hour(plus tipshare I guess) :smith:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is when someone says crocs or steel toed boots ?

A Man and his dog fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 20, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else dealing with this Romaine outbreak??

CDC is apparently telling everyone not to eat any romaine at the moment...

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

The 20$ tread safe clogs from wal mart are the best kitchen shoes I've ever worn. They last about a year, they're waterproof and comfy as gently caress. Just make sure you wash them and let em air dry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's only pre cut from a certain geographic region, so you shouldn't buy any at the grocery store, but if you cut your own romaine at the restaurant you're fine.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nah, they just expanded the warning to all romaine coming from arizona

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ah poo poo, missed that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's a little more complicated than that - unless you can confirm it doesn't come from Arizona, don't eat romaine and throw it away.

http://fox2now.com/2018/04/20/cdc-expands-e-coli-warning-to-all-romaine-lettuce/

quote:

While the current cases are connected to the Yuma, Arizona, area, the CDC warns that package labels do not often identify growing regions. Therefore, consumers should throw out any romaine lettuce in their homes, even if partially eaten, and avoid eating romaine at restaurants unless the establishment can confirm that the lettuce is not from Yuma. No common grower, supplier, distributor or brand from the Yuma area has been identified.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

We've been making our mostly-romaine mixed salads with just a shitload of spring mix.

I hate having to even serve them.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

Depends on your preference of style and fit. I've been wearing Keen Destins for going on a year now, and I'm very happy. I've figured out that I'm not a dansko or slip on guy via trial by error, and have torn through a bunch of cheaper dr. scholls, docs, and god knows what before happening upon - and overpaying for - my current pair. That being said, Plenty of my peers and betters wear different shoe types than me. We all have different opinions, but we all agree that the struggle for the right shoe is real.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

Yes - go try on a bunch of different shoes and see what works for you. Everyone's foot is different. Popular shoes are Crocs, Danskos, Red Wings, and even Doc Marten's but the main things you're looking for are waterproof, nonslip, and fit you well. You can always buy insoles if need be.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

The 20$ tread safe clogs from wal mart are the best kitchen shoes I've ever worn. They last about a year, they're waterproof and comfy as gently caress. Just make sure you wash them and let em air dry.

They're pretty okay. I rocked Shoes for Crews closed-toe clogs for the longest time because they were dirty cheap and comfortable, but that was in the bakery where I didn't have to worry about people spilling stuff down my back, so open heels were okay.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Closed heel shoes aren't gonna make much of a difference is someone spills something on you no matter what the angle.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I like my Red Wings, but I think my next shoes will be some nonslip steel toed boots with goretex for waterproofing. I've got some Vasque backpacking boots that are loving fantastic, but not oil resistant.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Chili can be tasty enough but not very exciting and I think people get so protective over it because it’s one of the few foods white people actually put spices in so they think it’s some magical special food that deserves to be put on a pedestal. Face it white folk, chili is basic af and its most noble use is topping hot dogs.

I used to think Publix sandwiches from the deli were nothing special too but then I got a chicken tender sub made to order and it’s the best dang thing. I had like 9 gws folks visiting once and we spent one precious meal on Publix tendy subs and no regrets.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Nah chili is good because you can put almost anything in it and it still tastes good.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not gonna lie. I had that chicken tender sub from publix and it really didn't do anything for me.....

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mich posted:

Face it white folk, chili is basic af and its most noble use is topping hot dogs.

This is a very confused sentence.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I'm not gonna lie. I had that chicken tender sub from publix and it really didn't do anything for me.....

You gotta get buffalo sauce and blue cheese on it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Field Mousepad posted:

backing this

before i had insoles i had to replace every few months that cost about the same

i've had mine over a year and i have no reason to replace them yet, compared to wearing out anything else in 6 mos or less

they are absolutely the most comfortable footwear i've ever worn

namaste y'all

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

Closed heel shoes aren't gonna make much of a difference is someone spills something on you no matter what the angle.

Loose pants + closed heel shoes means most of whatever hits me goes on the floor instead of sticking to me. I used to be real paranoid about hot oil because of narrow kitchens.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

We took on a new hire today, we're beefing up our staff since we're gonna start doing lunch as well as breakfast soon and expanding our hours. I groaned a bit because, sure, km, have me train a new guy while trying to haul rear end on a beautiful Saturday that also happens to be when an Earth Day street fair is happening a block away. Nah, I'll have plenty of time to train this guy while we're getting fisted. Couldn't, like, have me train him on a slow Monday or something. :suicide:

Turns out this guy is the Kwisatz Haderach of our fry station, holy poo poo. I told him once how to do something, and he did it flawlessly on his own for the rest of his shift. My km is big on the "show them once, then push the baby bird out of the nest and let them get all hands on" school of training, and after about 90 minutes I found myself doing prep for tomorrow to have something to do, because this guy had my fry station down. Here i was expecting insanity, and it was the chilliest Saturday I've had since I started there.

Why was your day good today, thread?

Edit: though some prep involved breaking down a case of collard greens, and I had flashbacks to working at the co-op deli and the kale, oh the endless washing and trimming kale

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 21, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

We took on a new hire today, we're beefing up our staff since we're gonna start doing lunch as well as breakfast soon and expanding our hours. I groaned a bit because, sure, km, have me train a new guy while trying to haul rear end on a beautiful Saturday that also happens to be when an Earth Day street fair is happening a block away. Nah, I'll have plenty of time to train this guy while we're getting fisted. Couldn't, like, have me train him on a slow Monday or something. :suicide:

Turns out this guy is the Kwisatz Haderach of our fry station, holy poo poo. I told him once how to do something, and he did it flawlessly on his own for the rest of his shift. My km is big on the "show them once, then push the baby bird out of the nest and let them get all hands on" school of training, and after about 90 minutes I found myself doing prep for tomorrow to have something to do, because this guy had my fry station down. Here i was expecting insanity, and it was the chilliest Saturday I've had since I started there.

Edit: though some prep involved breaking down a case of collard greens, and I had flashbacks to working at the co-op deli and the kale, oh the endless washing and trimming kale

The sleeper has FRIED! Congrats on the good hire and correct use of effective training skills!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

We had half of our kitchen call off (4/20 hangovers most likely, I jokingly told our dirty hippie assistant manager to drug test them all), so I was expecting it to be a regular Saturday, and to get utterly destroyed.

I was not expecting everyone in town to apparently decide to grill their own food for a change and for me to actually get out early.

I was also not expecting our visiting manager to commend me on being one of the only reliable people he's seen in our entire kitchen, but it's nice that somebody else noticed I'm surrounded by flakes.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My day was slow as poo poo, but I took off tomorrow and looking forward to a full day off of not doing jack poo poo!

Yay!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Liquid Communism posted:

Loose pants + closed heel shoes means most of whatever hits me goes on the floor instead of sticking to me. I used to be real paranoid about hot oil because of narrow kitchens.

Ironically the biggest kitchen I've ever worked in was where I got my worst burn. Dude was cleaning a fryer and a big chunk of something splashed into the bucket he was emptying it into and splashed my right leg. I was wearing shorts too. And I had to sautee that night so I was right next to open flames and scalding hot pans the whole time.

It was neato.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 22, 2018

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Field Mousepad posted:

Ironically the biggest kitchen I've ever worked in was where I got my worst burn. Dude was cleaning a fryer and a big chunk of something splashed into the bucket he was emptying it into and splashed my right leg. I was wearing shorts too. And I had to sautee that night so I was right next to open flames and scalding hot pans the whole time.

It was neato.

Why you don't wear shorts in the loving kitchen.txt

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I still wear shorts. You only yolo once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samizdata posted:

The sleeper has FRIED! Congrats on the good hire and correct use of effective training skills!

Train him on grill next so his name can be a grilling word. :v: