Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not that it needs to be said but Dave's write up on Bruno is a remarkable piece of work for something he had basically no notice to write. All time great piece that everyone should read and is worth this month's ten bucks alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

MassRafTer posted:

There's not a lot I can add about Bruno but I had some Apter mags I found last year that had kayfabe articles on him from the 70s and decided to read a couple. No Hulkamatt this week as our schedules didn't match up on such short notice.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/986972012349394946

i dont know if this is common knowledge but it's news to me. the guy behind the kiyoga steel cobra (and the inventor of sea monkeys and xray specs) was a neo-nazi and the profits on the kiyoga were split with the aryan nation.
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/01/magazine/tm-29473

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not that it needs to be said but Dave's write up on Bruno is a remarkable piece of work for something he had basically no notice to write. All time great piece that everyone should read and is worth this month's ten bucks alone.

This made me wonder if it was pre-written which makes me wonder how many pre-written obits Dave has. :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Dave posted:

i dont know if this is common knowledge but it's news to me. the guy behind the kiyoga steel cobra (and the inventor of sea monkeys and xray specs) was a neo-nazi and the profits on the kiyoga were split with the aryan nation.
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/01/magazine/tm-29473

The Monumental Podcast would like to retract its endorsement of The Kiyoga Steel Cobra. Please purchase the $3.99 gun instead.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

VJeff posted:

This made me wonder if it was pre-written which makes me wonder how many pre-written obits Dave has. :smith:

Dave has said a bunch of times that he doesn't do that. It would be too morbid and he doesn't have the time.

Considering how often he's worried about getting non-obit Observers out on time, I believe it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I believe major news outlets have obits prepped for any high level famous person, so it's not unheard of.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe major news outlets have obits prepped for any high level famous person, so it's not unheard of.

There have been plenty of cases where an obit accidentally hits a news site before the person is even dead, so yeah it definitely is done

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

St Evan Echoes posted:

There have been plenty of cases where an obit accidentally hits a news site before the person is even dead, so yeah it definitely is done

It happened for Barbara Bush a day before she died. Complete with DO NOT POST in the headline.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/987019810755063808

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

It happened for Barbara Bush a day before she died. Complete with DO NOT POST in the headline.

That was actually a personal message to you, lol!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

He's really going to face The Rock 'N Roll Express?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Malcolm Excellent posted:

He's really going to face The Rock 'N Roll Express?

tbh that's probably a dream come true for Bryan

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

exploded mummy posted:

tbh that's probably a dream come true for Bryan

https://youtu.be/hxuLJDQdKg4

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

How are they going to wrestle Funky Future with Ricochet signed to NXT?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I actually met Ricky Morton at the Atlanta airport last year when I was on business travel. It was just after Mania and he was on his way home from Orlando.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

Y'all are oddly defensive of Meltzer, I don't even think he cares as much as some of you and most of it is them playing a bit.

I do know I have to be interested in the topic they're doing that week to listen while with Tony and what happened when I'll just listen because Tony is a cool dude. This week Conrad got Tony to blindly watch Barely Legal, his first time seeing any ECW ever, and it's great.

I missed this and holy poo poo this is great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Faces of Fear?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

Faces of Fear?

The Juicy Hammers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Obviously it's Okada and Chuckie T

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's Okada and the Pants

And boy, you better believe the Pants are going over clean

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just nthing that the Meltzer obituary for Bruno is really, really loving good and extremely touching in parts. Particularly the lengthy editor's note at the beginning.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So if Russo hadn’t come into power, who could’ve replaced Bischoff and potentially saved WCW? The only name that comes to mind rn is Jerry Jarrett.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

So if Russo hadn’t come into power, who could’ve replaced Bischoff and potentially saved WCW? The only name that comes to mind rn is Jerry Jarrett.

I feel like any name we know is the wrong choice. I don’t think WWE is necessarily wrong in going with television writers or any other sort of serialized storyteller, it’s just the environment that does them in, along with the tyranny of Vince McMahon.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

WCW and WWE would be making trillions of dollars per year by now if they had just made an agreement to one-up each other every 2 or 3 years by sending top talent to the other company as a legit looking invasion. every person on earth would buy their hot ham products

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
No booker could have saved(nor truly killed) WCW because they died due to not keeping their TV deal. Yeah, they lost of a ton of money in 2000 but their ratings were still in the low 2s and if they hadn't lost their TV they could have been fine with that number for most networks. Like, USA would have been more than happy to pick them up if they could guarantee a 1.5 every week. They killed their houseshow business but I think their attendance was still higher than it was back in like 94-95. Obviously house show business was bad compared to WWE, but WWE's house show attendance dropped like 50% in 2001 as well so...

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Venomous posted:

Copt out answer be probably another booking committee or Bischoff again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

No booker could have saved(nor truly killed) WCW because they died due to not keeping their TV deal. Yeah, they lost of a ton of money in 2000 but their ratings were still in the low 2s and if they hadn't lost their TV they could have been fine with that number for most networks. Like, USA would have been more than happy to pick them up if they could guarantee a 1.5 every week. They killed their houseshow business but I think their attendance was still higher than it was back in like 94-95. Obviously house show business was bad compared to WWE, but WWE's house show attendance dropped like 50% in 2001 as well so...

There was about an 18 month period in between Bischoff getting sent gone and WCW losing TV.

It's a fair question, but I'm not sure if anyone would have managed to successfully navigate the downward spiral of toxic backstage politics, bloated roster, and poor fiduciary control.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

exploded mummy posted:

There was about an 18 month period in between Bischoff getting sent gone and WCW losing TV.

It's a fair question, but I'm not sure if anyone would have managed to successfully navigate the downward spiral of toxic backstage politics, bloated roster, and poor fiduciary control.

Comedy answer, Paul Heyman

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always thought Kevin Sullivan did a great job managing all the various egos in 1996 WCW and managing to put out a great product but I think everyone remembers how awful WCW got when he came back later, so...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always thought Kevin Sullivan did a great job managing all the various egos in 1996 WCW and managing to put out a great product but I think everyone remembers how awful WCW got when he came back later, so...

Sullivan did a great job managing the egos of the main eventers and did so essentially at the expense of the midcard guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

There were talks with Jerry Jarrett during this period.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

Sullivan did a great job managing the egos of the main eventers and did so essentially at the expense of the midcard guys.

Which became much more noticeable when said midcarders got massively over in the WWF instead, but that was always Sullivan's problem, even in 1996

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

exploded mummy posted:

He was brought back in-between that period, he came back after Russo bombed and Sullivan's taking over resulted in Benoit & Co. leaving. He wasn't as involved in the booking by the end of 2000, but the it doesn't really matter because the point I'm making is that although the company died and had horrible losses in 2000; the best booking in the World wasn't going to save them from losing their TV on TNT.

The fact that they got sold so quickly and for such a cheap price shows you how little the people at the top cared about the company. Can you imagine how much Netflix or Amazon would pay just for the tape library in today's market? They didn't even consider keeping it on air for a few more months so try and shop it around. Nobody there wanted anything to do with wrestling, that was Turner's thing that nobody wanted to be associated with and they dumped it because they didn't understand it.

It's fun to think about who could have booked a good program if Russo hadn't been brought in and Bischoff was still ousted, but asking who could have 'saved' the company by booking is an irrational question.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

He was brought back in-between that period, he came back after Russo bombed and Sullivan's taking over resulted in Benoit & Co. leaving. He wasn't as involved in the booking by the end of 2000, but the it doesn't really matter because the point I'm making is that although the company died and had horrible losses in 2000; the best booking in the World wasn't going to save them from losing their TV on TNT.

The fact that they got sold so quickly and for such a cheap price shows you how little the people at the top cared about the company. Can you imagine how much Netflix or Amazon would pay just for the tape library in today's market? They didn't even consider keeping it on air for a few more months so try and shop it around. Nobody there wanted anything to do with wrestling, that was Turner's thing that nobody wanted to be associated with and they dumped it because they didn't understand it.

It's fun to think about who could have booked a good program if Russo hadn't been brought in and Bischoff was still ousted, but asking who could have 'saved' the company by booking is an irrational question.

The company was losing $500,000 per week (and maybe more) in 2001. The sale to Fusient had been announced 2.5 months prior to the cancellation. If you think they dumped it because they didn't want anything to do with wrestling not the company lost 60 million in 2000 with no legitimate buyers other than the WWF, you are nuts.

When one of Fusient's backers saw how bad the books were (they'd gotten worse in Q4 2000) he backed out. So they completely changed their offer to a completely backloaded deal. Why would Time Warner want that deal on a company losing that much? They'd never get it. To keep it open and shop it around would cost them millions. Literally millions of dollars. The company kept costing them millions after they shut it down, but less millions because at least they'd gotten out from under some of the contracts and the production costs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The company was losing $500,000 per week (and maybe more) in 2001. The sale to Fusient had been announced 2.5 months prior to the cancellation. If you think they dumped it because they didn't want anything to do with wrestling not the company lost 60 million in 2000 with no legitimate buyers other than the WWF, you are nuts.

When one of Fusient's backers saw how bad the books were (they'd gotten worse in Q4 2000) he backed out. So they completely changed their offer to a completely backloaded deal. Why would Time Warner want that deal on a company losing that much? They'd never get it. To keep it open and shop it around would cost them millions. Literally millions of dollars. The company kept costing them millions after they shut it down, but less millions because at least they'd gotten out from under some of the contracts and the production costs.

They could have kept the tape library on air and just ran 'best of's. Yeah the company was losing money but they didn't have to kill it completely; however they did so because the people who took over saw it as something of Turner vanity project and got rid of it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

How exactly how fast do you think they got sold?

The possibility of it being sold for being an utter money it had been reported on in Summer of 2000. It was basically an inevitability by Fall, and it was agreed in principle by Winter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

They could have kept the tape library on air and just ran 'best of's. Yeah the company was losing money but they didn't have to kill it completely; however they did so because the people who took over saw it as something of Turner vanity project and got rid of it.

Loooooooooooool

You managed to find a way for 2001 WCW to lose even more money.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They should have stayed alive and run weekly PPV events

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

How exactly how fast do you think they got sold?

The possibility of it being sold for being an utter money it had been reported on in Summer of 2000. It was basically an inevitability by Fall, and it was agreed in principle by Winter.

I'm not sure how this is refuting my point. The people that took over post AOL merger in February wanted it gone and started looking to dump it quickly. That they held on for a year is something, but that they didn't try and run it with much less overhead is another story. If they wanted to they could have just bought out the contracts and tried to get what they could out of it but they didn't want wrestling and didn't want it on their TV either. The whole AOL-TW merger was a clusterfuck and WCW was just another wasted opportunity in that whole debacle.

exploded mummy posted:

Loooooooooooool

You managed to find a way for 2001 WCW to lose even more money.

If you're going to pay out these giant contracts and lose money on monday nights; I'll bet you'd make more off reairing tape in place of the weekend show than you would just selling it for $4.2 million. Not to mention continuing to be able to sell merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Run best ofs on what, Turner networks? In 2001 Nitro was drawing average ratings and Thunder below average ratings for Turner with very low ad rates. What do you think the tape library would have drawn? Literally nothing. Vince wasn't buying the company without the tape library. Selling to Vince got them a couple million, plus a few million in ad buys as part of the deal and got most of their contracts off the books.

They killed it completely because that was their option to kill the losses and sell it, because the TV contracts were the thing that killed their deal to sell to Vince six months earlier and be rid of millions in losses per month.